[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Question Regarding the A10

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

Because of the fact that the A 10's 30mm cannon isn't really viable against modern tanks, but is still fuckhueg in terms of weight and size, would it hypothetically, ever be feasible ever in the future to replace the giant 30mm Gatling with something along the lines of the 120mm smoothbore cannon of the abrams tanks. This would give it the ability to take down modern 1st world tanks like the t90, and also would presumably extend its range and increase its accuracy, seeing as kills with similar cannons have been recorded at ridiculous questions.

The only reasons I can think of are the expense of having to modify a cannon and add an autoloader that fit inside the A10 chassis, and the potential shock on the airframe of firing such a large gun, but the warthog is supposedly an extremely resilient aircraft, so I'm clueless as to the effect this would have.

>inb4 i get called a summerfag.
>>
>>30770445

no. that's retarded. get out of here, summerfag.
>>
File: please elaborate.jpg (10KB, 507x569px) Image search: [Google]
please elaborate.jpg
10KB, 507x569px
>>30770512
shit.
>>
If we can strap a 75mm to a B-25 and the Germans can put a Pak-40 on a Hs.129, we can stick a 120mm on a A-10. The problem is accuracy. You gotta be CLOSE to hit with that one shot.
>>
Could we mount a large bayonet on an A-10 and simply stick tanks to death?
>>
>>30770575
I like your thinking.
>>
>>30770561
I think it could be more accurate than the gau 8 provided good targeting systems.
>>
>>30770445

>Because of the fact that the A 10's 30mm cannon isn't really viable against modern tanks

Says who?

The top armor of a tank is thin. A dose of 30 mm should have no problem taking them out.
>>
>>30770445
nice try
>>
>>30770445
Tanks are greatly outnumbered by squisher targets on the battlefield, and the 75 mm gun on a B25 was for shooting at big fucking ships because goddamn is aerial gunnery hard, you'd have to get way to close to hit a tank with a sabot round out of a 120.

Save your mavericks for tanks and AA tracks, use your gun on AFVs, artillery pieces, trucks, jeeps, infantry, storage piles, fuel tanks, etc.
>>
File: images.jpg (10KB, 333x151px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
10KB, 333x151px
50 mm
>>
File: IMG_20160724_233443_248.jpg (17KB, 295x370px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160724_233443_248.jpg
17KB, 295x370px
>>30770445
Nam Vet Jimmy looks on your general direction with shame.
>>
File: Hs129-B2-11.jpg (21KB, 543x381px) Image search: [Google]
Hs129-B2-11.jpg
21KB, 543x381px
Who did you have to piss off to get posted to a Hs-129 squadron though?
>>
>>30770445
>the fact that the A 10's 30mm cannon isn't really viable against modern tanks

Only from the front.
>>
>>30771730
Noooo but the Duck is love the Duck is life
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.