[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

french foreign legion

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: maxresdefault.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
Are they still a mythical bunch of social rejects trying to find redemption or are they a special forces group like any of the others around the world?
>>
File: 1453042156009.jpg (93KB, 400x399px) Image search: [Google]
1453042156009.jpg
93KB, 400x399px
>special forces
The coolest thing they got is regular ass airborne infantry.

They really aren't that great, they are just sent to shit places where the French President doesn't want to risk the lives of actual citizens.
>>
That's a minimi yes? Shit is absolutely sexual.
>>
They're not special forces, they're elite light infantry with airborne and light armor components.

And to answer your first question, in a way, yes. The Legion mostly attracts young men from less prosperous European nations who have no real prospects in life and who don't really fit in anywhere else. But if you're asking if it's still made up of cutthroats and louts, no. However, the training is still brutal (by Western standards anyway), they still fight like hell, and they're still sent to places nobody has ever heard of in place of other units that the French government doesn't feel the need to send. So at least that hasn't changed much.
>>
>>30767534
Weren't they deployed in Mali last time?
>>
They aren't special forces.
But they do have "commandos" but you can't be one during your first contract.
You can get into their elite airborne unit and they are a little higher speed.

They do a lot of shit at former colonies in Africa.
That's where you'll most likely be deployed.

Not a "mythical bunch".
Lots of Africans and South-Americans go there for improved loving conditions.
Then lots of eastern Europeans.

But there are a few from everywhere, including U.S., UK, Australia etc.
>>
File: 1465238817205.png (168KB, 680x1040px) Image search: [Google]
1465238817205.png
168KB, 680x1040px
>>30767274
Poverty-bloc vodka-kin, third world immigrants, westerners with a non-violent/minor criminal record, and chinamen. At least that's what i've heard.

Maybe some people like me as well. Just don't have anything better to do, and collecting a nice fat european paycheck for playing soldier is better than landscaping rich peoples lawns in 110 degree weather for 9 an hour.
>>
>>30767560
Mainly normal army in Mali. But also probably a few ffl
>>
>>30767641
>collecting a nice fat european paycheck

Hahahahhahaha

My cousin has been in the legion for 18 months now. They earn very little money, like 1000-1500€ a month IIRC. It would be way easier mowibg lawns.
>>
>>30767274
They're basically a politically affiliated merc group operating in shitholes.
>>
>>30767718
I assume the legion isn't charging it's own soldiers rent or anything like that. So that's at least 60,000$ you have by the time your contract it up.
>>
>>30767274
>special forces

No.
>>
>>30767514
>dat charging handle tho
SHE THICC
>>
one of my patients spent 15 years in the ffl. He told me they train a lot with other nations forces, marines, royal marines (UK), army etc. He said the best of the best soldiers he trained with were british and polish. (he's a pollack himself so might be biased.) He did say we had the best gear always, but soldier material wise, we lose compared to slavs and brits. They do tons of ruck marches in the jungle. Machetes in hand chop chop chop. Made really good money the 15 years he was there.
>>
>>30768062
should add he finished his service before 2000. Supposedly served in bosnia and mogadishu. Tough motherfucker i should add.
>>
>>30767800
A little over 10k a year is not a "fat paycheck"
>>
>>30768129
Depending on where you live it could be
>>
>>30768157
If you're sending it back home to your 3rd world country then yes.

But if you plan to stay in France or go to a 1st world country when your contract is up you're not well off.
And that 5 years could have been spent starting a career that pays you that 60k in one year, or less.

Not to mention most legionnaires spend a lot of their money on alcohol and tobacco and other random shit here and there.
You won't save every penny that's for sure.
>>
>>30767274
They're elite infantry or support
They have the GCP which are commandos and 'not' SF
They have 2REP and 3REI which are supposedly pretty rough fuckers

Hardened criminals are less likely to get accepted now, but they still look for men who would be bettered by joining the Légion
They operate in cool places, Mali, Afghanistan, CAR, etc
They have some interesting history, their training is fucking brutal compared to most countries
Pay is on par with most Western countries, definitely not bad

There is a romanticism I've seen with wannabes and former Légionnaires, and I see why. It's rough as shit, your personal freedoms go away, all that.
>>
>>30768256
>their training is fucking brutal
examples?
>>
>>30768276
Dude they make you run and do push ups and situps.
You have to wake up early and eat icky food.
Then you have to shoot rifles and it's so loud and it hurts and it's scary.
>>
>>30768172
FFS if you consider the hours, sweat and pain you have to put in, it is total shit.
>>
>>30768276
Newcomers have a "demi-baguette" shoved up their ass.

Hardened veterans can fit a "pain de campagne" in their rectums in survival situations.
>>
>>30768312
Sounds like your average elite light infantry training to me.
>>
>>30768276
>>30768312
>>30768342
>>30768363

>a 75 mile (120 km) 3 day march in full kit, from Perpignan to the Basic Training camp at Castelnaudary
>>
>>30768403

depending on the weather, as long as its not too hot or cold, a normie could easily do this. Early autumn would be ideal.

Keep hydrated and push through the pain, its entirely mental. In kit, 26 miles a day can be marched in 7 or 8 hours.
>>
>>30768391
That was my point haha.
Their training isn't "brutal"
They probably Ruck March more than anyone else but their motto is "march or die" so that's not surprising
>>
>>30768637
Except they run it all through the year, it's not a direct point to point march, candidates are expected to complete it without the use of any sort of navigational aid and they'll be sleep deprived throughout. They also have to complete exercises before, during and after.

Oh and it's in the Pyrenees, not your local forest route.
>>
>>30768647
From a psychological point of view it's stressful, moreso than pretty much anything else out there. You're being given precise instructions, once, in a language you probably don't understand. If you do speak French, you'll be given a group of non speakers to work with in extra hours and in the classroom.

They have very clever ways of playing around with people to make them want to leave.
>>
>>30768129
It is if you are 12 years old like most people itt.
>>
>>30768129

No especially when you get a months leave a year.
>>
File: 1399126703171.jpg (177KB, 774x1036px) Image search: [Google]
1399126703171.jpg
177KB, 774x1036px
>>30767274
whatever they are these days looks like you can get jacked once you become an NCO like this former /k/ tripfag (originally australian)
>>
>>30768363
>Newcomers have a "demi-baguette" shoved up their ass.
Ha ha, homosexual reference to French stereotypes... :|

>Hardened veterans can fit a "pain de campagne" in their rectums in survival situations.
Pain de campagne, What's that?
>Google image
OK, that's actually funny, I keked, well played Anon!
>>
>>30767956
High test
>>
>>30768342
>FFS if you consider the hours, sweat and pain you have to put in, it is total shit.
Lazy city dwelling first worlder detected.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.