[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/K/ APPROVED READS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 313
Thread images: 45

/k/ approved reads and recommendations
provide a quick premise description, I'll start

The Guns of the South:
A group of dindu-hating /k/ommandos happen upon a time machine, proceeds to arm the civil war confederates with AK's.
>>
File: romesweetrome1.jpg (109KB, 400x604px) Image search: [Google]
romesweetrome1.jpg
109KB, 400x604px
Rome Sweet Rome:
Would a marine expeditionary unit be able to defeat ancient Rome?

A short story response in a reddit thread, that has since spawned it's own fan subreddit, and a movie deal.

Story pdf in reddit

subreddit: /r/RomeSweetRome/
>>
c'mon guys, i need reading material
>>
>>30762430
Storms of Steel
Starship Troopers
One Soldier's War
The Forever War
100 Suns
Under Fire
Kill or Get Killed
On Killing

Those are a good place to start.
>>
Sorry Turtledove is neckbeard tier OP
>>
>>30762430
I know there will be a butt hurt nigger on this board who browses /k/ 24/7 ready to call out

>stormweenies

But, almost any book on Rhodesia, even the biased ones towards the niggers point of view can't help but write all the cool operator things Rhodesians did.
>>
Tom Holland:
Persian Fire

Anthony Beevor:
Stalingrad
Crete

Zamoyski:

These are just the ones I've read that I would recommend. Google military history and pic a period that takes your fancy.
>>
Armor by John Steakley

POV of a power armor wearing soldier fighting bugs. Similar to Starship Troopers or the Forever War, if you took out the politics or cultural shifts respectively and replaced that with more really well written fighting. Also focuses on the psychological effects of the war upon the soldier.

One of the very best novels I've read, and I read a lot.
>>
Didn't Turtledove also make that one book where aliens invade during WW2, and we curbstomp them? On top of that, was he the one that wrote that 13 or so book series where an Alabama town was sent back like 500 in Germany?
>>
>>30762894
Yes to the first, Eric Flint and various coauthors for the latter.

The former is a better series than the latter.
>>
>>30762430
The Men Who Came Out Of The Groud by Paul Cleary.

A story of 200 odd aussie bushme who survived innabush of Timor for months with no support from mainland Australia living of the land tying up a force of almost 20 thousand japs killed about 800 of them and only lost around a dozen KIA
>>
>>30762676
Andries Rhoodie shows up in the superior Conquestadores by S.M. Stirling.the one where the people with the dimesional gate traffic in extinct species from an earth on a completely different timeline, where alexander the great liked to be an old man, and conquered the entire old world. and no one ever went to the new world. which was boiling with crazy indians.

>>30762968
>>30762968
there are some really good books in the 1632 series, and some shitty ones too. the ones where the uptimers arent uberman mary sues and more real people that are scrambling to gear up the local areas against the insanity of the 30 years war are good.

and REST IN PEPPERONI BUSTER BEASLEY. dude was fucking gangster as fuck nigga only died because of getting caught up in the bodies of his killed to shit enemies.

and the jews are somekind of benevolent master race makes them shitty. it should riff more on how everyone was an asshole back then politically.
>>
>>30763289
lived not liked, even though he was down for the sausage fest.

and the russia book was pretty good for 1632.
>>
File: WRF_RallyCry.jpg (35KB, 220x365px) Image search: [Google]
WRF_RallyCry.jpg
35KB, 220x365px
>>30762430
Yankee Riflemen vs 9ft tall Cannibal Mongolians.
>>
>>30762430
>http://self.gutenberg.org/articles/janissaries_iv:_mamelukes

>TFW Pournelle is going to die before writing the last book and David Drake or Kevin J Anderson will probably get hired to 'finish the series'
>>
>>30762654
Yeah, he's a hack.
>>
>>30763391
The former would be okay, the latter, less so.
>>
>>30763422
>muh cigarettes
>>
Starship troopers is bae

Also, slaughterhouse five is an obvious choice
>>
>>30762430
Confederate romanticist that I am, this would honestly never work. And if its not practical, I'm not sure it can be /k/-approved. Even with a small amount of high tech weaponry, the South would not have won the Civil War.
>The second it became a war of attrition and not a lightning war, the South lost.
>The second the South chose not to march on Washington, D.C., after the First Battle of Bull Run, the South lost.
>The second the South shit the bed and let the North begin encircling it by naval blockade, the South lost.
>>
>>30762461
I liked it better when it was called Gate
>>
>>30763458
He is. His retarded fantasy ww2 series was as miserable an exercise:
>lol the fantasy jews are the blond-haired-blue-eyed ones!
>lol the fantasy americans are the japanese!
>lol the fantasy fins are the africans!
(the last one is funny, i guess)

Then there's how making mass murder of prisoners an actual weapon takes the moral sting out of it.
>>
File: desmen.jpg (46KB, 450x600px) Image search: [Google]
desmen.jpg
46KB, 450x600px
>>30763495
I think the only think Harry does better than writing pages-long ramblings about shit like tobacco quality is creating flat, no-depth characters. World War could have been so great, but it was a tedious mess.

Whatever, making my usual Destroyermen plug.
>>
>>30763515
>Harry does better than writing pages-long ramblings about shit like tobacco quality is creating flat, no-depth characters
Brutal. The truth hurts.
>>
File: 51slY2NZZHL.jpg (40KB, 314x500px) Image search: [Google]
51slY2NZZHL.jpg
40KB, 314x500px
This isn't half bad.
>>
>>30763391
Man is that ever a great book.
Sequel was very good too.
Third was ehhhh okay but that was the ghostwriter

We should all write to Pournelle about finishing the damn series.
>>
>>30762770
Armor is probably one of my top 5 novels.

He absolutely nailed the fear of combat.

And the ending was awesome
>>
Need to get on reading this.
>>
>>30762461
Is this the one by James Erwin, the guy who started writing Rome sweet Rome on reddit. You should check out his other book: Acadia. One of the best reads desu senpai
>>
>>30763772
He also nailed the way the brass operated in Vietnam.

That jarring POV shift mid-book throws a lot of people and is the only real weakness; but it was necessary for that badass ending.
>>
>>30762461
>Rome Sweet Rome
Fuck i so want to read a full novel of this. But alas, that will never ever happen desu

also, pic related is the shit
>>
>>30762430
Do you happen to have a download link for a poorfag?
>>
Low level hell: OH-6 pilot in nam who was shot down multiple times, 3 silver stars.

About Face: David hackworth's biography
>>
Give me some Delta related shit, going through a massive sfod boner phase.
>>
>>30763926
Black hawk down by mark bowden
>>
>>30762770
Ending was terrible. Strange plot midway about some ridiculous pirate character. It barely covers the bug war
>>
>>30763458

Every fucking time. Like, it's all about the goddamned cigarettes. His editor needs to put a shock collar on him and trigger it every time he comes across a smoking reference. That being said, the World War series was ok. I liked the slow "ohfuckohfuckohfuck" realization on the part of the aliens when they figured out that not only had they underestimated human technological progress by about 800 years, but that those same humans were copying their shit at an insane rate. Also, ginger bombs were fucking hilarious.
>>
>>30764319
>Ending was terrible.
Nah, ending was great.

>Strange plot midway about some ridiculous pirate character.
Book has 2 POV characters, one of them is basically a ruthless space Jack Sparrow (before Disney came up with the character).

>It barely covers the bug war
Because the history of the Bug War doesn't actually matter. It's like a Vietnam analog with the brass providing garbage intel to the troops, setting bullshit objectives based on that same intel, with actual impact to the enemy's strategic status being minimal. The whole research lab was basically some smart bookworm with no real world experience spending huge sums of money trying to figure out why they weren't winning, when any grunt could tell you the answer immediately.

With that in mind who gives a fuck about the actual history/progression of the war? It's a war that will drag on and on with nothing to show for it until the brass collectively pulls its head out of its ass or humanity just pulls out. If you want to read dry encyclopedia-esque histories of made up scifi wars that drag on and on maybe the Bolo series is more your speed, they have several pieces like that which are dozens of pages of "then we fought this battle and lost, then we fought this battle here and won, then we...".
>>
>>30762430

An incomplete list of awesome /k/ sci-fi:

Everything by Marko Kloos

> essentially the last uncucked German writing seriously good military sci-fi

The Old Guy series by Timothy Gawne

> what happens when one of the smartest people on Earth decides to write hilarious shit involving sentient weapons of mass destruction, aliens, warrior monk librarians and a civilization of self-aware office copiers

Lucifer's Hammer by Niven and Pournelle

> a comet pounds 1970s Earth flat and an army of Dindu cannibals out of LA get shrecked by a bunch of nerds with homemade mustard gas

Footfall by Niven and Pournelle

> aliums are scary, humans with Orion Drive space battleships are fucking terrifying

The Drakon Series by Stirling

> imagine that Nazi Germany and the CSA had a lovechild that enslaved half the planet and put down rebellions with nuclear weapons..... yeah, it's like that
>>
File: 1467038831976.jpg (25KB, 480x433px) Image search: [Google]
1467038831976.jpg
25KB, 480x433px
>ctrl + f
>"Team Yankee"
>No results
>>
>>30764460
Still annoying. I expected to read a war story not a ridiculous pirate character infiltrating some backwater research outpost and crying about his feelings. People put this book up there with Starship Troopers and the Forever war, but really its an entirely different kind of book. Not really military science fiction.

War scenes were a comically stupid as well.
>>
>>30764495

I've downloaded it but not started it yet.

I'm sawing through the second book of Turtledove's Hot War series because reasons.

That motherfucker got me smoking again too, damnit.
>>
>>30764496
Most of the book was war scenes from Felix's POV, contrasted with Starship Troopers where it's warpoliticspoliticspoliticspoliticspoliticspoliticswar, or The Forever War where it's culturewarcultureculturewarculturewarculture.

The war scenes were gnarly as fuck in comparison to Starship Troopers (which was a solid read don't get me wrong), and easily up there with The Forever War which had some well written battle sequences as well. The Forever War has enough fighting to properly be military science fiction but assigning Starship Troopers to the genre is really stretching it.
>>
>>30764486
>Footfall by Niven and Pournelle
>> aliums are scary, humans with Orion Drive space battleships are fucking terrifying
Footfall was superb.

Pournelle and Niven are just fucking superb authors, I wish Pournelle would finish his damn books that I'd reread decades from now instead of wasting his time on that blog of his that nobody will care about after he's dead.
>>
Bob Lee Swagger series by Stephen Hunter
Aubrey/maturin Series by Patrick O´Brian

I hope nobody insults this board with mentioning the utter buffoon Brad "Kill trump" Thor
>>
>>30764552
Starship Troopers is literally the first entry into the genre.
>>
>>30763926
Read all the Dalton Fury books, they're pretty cool.
>>
>>30765379
Are you serious nigger? Military scifi has been around since before The War of the Worlds, dumbass.
>>
File: Deus_Vult_and_books.jpg (443KB, 930x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Deus_Vult_and_books.jpg
443KB, 930x1400px
>>30762430
Plus :
Applied ballistics for long range shooting
Hornady Handbook of cartridge reloading
Manuel de rechargement Numéro 6 (Malfatti)
and, seriously, Art of the War Sun Tzu.

Some novels about WWII from the 50s to 70s for the fun.
>>
>>30764486
Thanks for showing off Marko Kloos. I'm digging into his stuff now thanks to you.
>>
File: war in 2020.jpg (44KB, 249x400px) Image search: [Google]
war in 2020.jpg
44KB, 249x400px
>>
"The Twentieth Maine" by John J. Pullen

Volunteer regiment from Maine, led by schoolteacher, heroically pushes in Confederate shit with bayonets.
>>
Black Company series.
>>
>>30765523

He's got some good stuff out there. You'll enjoy him.
>>
>>30763492
>I liked it better when it was called Pax Romana.
>>
>>30762430
Read this in high school. Loved it.
>>
>>30765523

Read Timothy Gawne. Guy is fucking hilarious.

> at a future weapons research facility, employees notice odd safety posters being put up
> images of people being electrocuted in vats of mayonnaise, etc.
> most people pay them no mind because muh future bureaucratic dystopia
> somebody finally tracks the posters down to an office copiers
> guy tries to shut down office copier
> office copier 3D prints a gun and starts shooting people in self defense
> turns out that the office copiers have developed intelligence as a result of terabytes of bloatware code being programmed into them and they were using coded messages in the safety posters to communicate and avoid detection

This is military sci-fi written by a very smart, very weird man.
>>
File: 510BRQVJNCL.jpg (41KB, 292x475px) Image search: [Google]
510BRQVJNCL.jpg
41KB, 292x475px
Falkenberg's Legion, comethefuckon Negros.

Cold War Science Fiction is fucking heroin-tier addictive, jesus.

Triumph is another good one.

the same goes for ANYTHING taking place in the CoDominium series, EVER.
>>
Let me ramble off a few that I've read and would recommend...

Team Yankee
Chieftains
Red Storm Rising
Tin Soldiers
Vortex
Red Phoenix
Cauldron

There's also the USS Towers series by Jeff Edwards, but I don't know if anyone around here has heard of them.
>>
File: 1375120665192.gif (93KB, 3932x3322px) Image search: [Google]
1375120665192.gif
93KB, 3932x3322px
Anyone a fan of Black Company?
>>
Oh shit, right, Devil's Guard is another good series.
>>
>>30766234
Fuck YES.

And don't just read Legion; West of Honor, Go tell the Spartans, etc are all excellent...

Tbh go pick up The Prince. It's a hueg compilation of all Falkenberg related stories with some extra scenes.... One of my favorite books.

tfw you will never try Borloi
>>
>>30767955
King David's Spaceship is another based book, Plus, "Mote in Gods Eye" and the "There will be War" Anthology-series. And fucking Beowulf's Children.
>>
>>30767955

We need to build welfare islands now.

> anybody can live there
> free food
> free medicine
> free housing
> drugs if you want them
> but you can't vote and you really can't get out unless you're Donald Trump-tier motivated
>>
>>30762629
>One Soldiers War

Pretty gut wrenching. One depressing little horrorstory after another.
>>
>>30762430

shit-tier premise

Virginia, Tennessee, and North Carolina would have left the CSA to rejoin the Union once the war was completed and they realized they had nothing in common with South Carolina and the rest except for shared reliance on slavery. Slavery would've remained legal in the Union because of fears that Kentucky and MD would secede.
>>
>>30768404
You mean, you can't get out unless you know a guy who knows a guy, and you have some money for bribes

That one flashback scene with Falkenberg joining up... Pretty strong stuff - his new comrades are drunk, and they proclaim that his family is the force now....

For being fucking OLD, and having survived brain cancer and a stroke, Pournelle is still as sharp as ever. Writing has slowed, but he still is churning out stuff as fast as he can.

It's worth reading his blog as well - he writes some interesting stuff there.

A recent post - "Daesh needs to be destroyed, not just molested. All the special forces we have can’t do that. We now need a full Corps, including Heavy Armor and an Armored Cavalry, artillery, all the A-10’s, and considerable air superiority assets to protect the Warthogs from SAM and other anti-aircraft. It means a major effort, and now that Turkey is unreliable, Iraqi Kurdistan is probably the right p,lace for an air base, and the base to operate from.

It will take considerable skill to handle Turkey now.

Anything mush smaller will mean far more casualties. We need overwhelming, mind-numbing force to deal with this threat, even though our allies will do most of the fighting; but there needs to be overwhelming force to protect our striking forces.

That’s the only way America makes war. We are not can Empire and we don’t have mercenary legions to rule without the consent of the governed. We should have learned that in the Philippines long ago. We don’t colonize well"
>>
>>30768480

I always thought they could work their way out but it was hard as fuck. As in, basically impossible.
>>
>>30762770
Forever War
Armor
Starship Troopers

The power armor Holy Trinity
>>
>>30763391
Drake would be okay
KJA would be a nightmare
>>
>>30764486
The Draka are perfect satire of alt-history wankfests
>>
Is there any good military sci-fi from the last 10 years or so?

All I've seen are stupid Baen wankfests like Honor Harrington
>>
>>30769610
Marko Kloos.
>>
File: image.jpg (23KB, 220x329px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
23KB, 220x329px
Now this is a good book.

>that shotgun scene
wew
>>
>>30764394

or his super awkward sex scenes.
>>
>>30765859
"I grew up in Boston, MA, and got an electrical engineering degree from M.I.T. I then worked at Digital Equipment Corporation (DEC) for a time, then got my PhD in Physiology, and did a post-doctoral fellowship at the Laboratory of Neuropsychology at the NIH. Since 1996 I have been on the faculty at the University of Alabama at Birmingham (UAB), in the Department of Vision Sciences. My primary research interest is in the nature of the neural code, and the physical basis of human thought. I live with my wife Adrienne and an Australian Shepherd named "Ginger." I have a son who works as an engineer building automated warehouses, and a daughter in graduate school. My primary hobby is writing science fiction, at which endeavor I am ably assisted by my genius editor brother (and noted historian), Jonathan Gawne. My emergency backup hobbies are carpentry, tinkering with electronics, iconoclastic politics, and making plants die."

.....do you ever have that feeling, that you wasted your life?
>>
Look into Marcus Wynne, he's a former federal air marshal and student of David Morrell's. He knows his shooting and gear.
>>
>>30769610

Old Man's War?
>>
>>30763858
I need to get a copy of this. I read his book "he died with a felafel in his hand" and I'd love to read something fiction by him
>>
>>30770809
eh

first one was alright, he goes full progressive by the end of the series

>>30769610
Anvil of Stars by Greg Bear. It's a bit different, and not everyone will like it, but it does a certain aspect of military scifi very, very well.
>>
How long until Metro: 2035 is translated? Or should I just start learning Russian in the meantime?
>>
>>30770809
Meh, Scalzi is a complete hack who doesn't understand how military operations are conducted.
>>
>>30770924
>>30770993

not every science fiction or fantasy book should be a alt right or anarcho capitalist wonderland, or all you get are books like Victoria or Ghost (and yes, i know Ghost was written to get out Ringo's demons).
>>
Larry Correia's MHI series

Jonathan Maberry - Joe Ledger Series
>>
>>30771196
Not even talking about the political shit. All the characters sucking the main character's dick because he remembered to grab the manual for the macguffin was too stupid to handle. This is direct action raid 101, do SSE.
>>
>>30770924
>goes full progressive

That will be a nice change from the usual libertarian HARD MEN MAKING HARD DECISIONS faggotry
>>
>>30767568
Hell yes, so awesome..... a damn shame Glenn Cook kinda wandered off on a tangent on the last books of the series....

*SPOILER ALERT*

I liked the first 4 books before most of the company was killed and they had the kid
>>
File: awaken my laughter.jpg (49KB, 690x418px) Image search: [Google]
awaken my laughter.jpg
49KB, 690x418px
>>30771196
>books like Victoria
>mfw shitting on Lind gets more popular
>>
File: lindsanity.jpg (345KB, 1028x778px) Image search: [Google]
lindsanity.jpg
345KB, 1028x778px
>>30771196
I remember /k/'s let's read of Victoria, but what the hell is Ghost?
>>
File: image.jpg (67KB, 292x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
67KB, 292x400px
Whatever happened to this style of cover art?
I love it.

Anyways, I find female characters in books by authors like Pournelle to be hilarious.

That once scene from Prince of Sparta really took me by surprise though - one chick wipes semen from her face after she is rescued from the rebel sex dungeon

Like wtf Jerry
>>
>>30771335
>Whatever happened to this style of cover art?
The 70's ended.
>>
The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors

about the Battle off Samar where a small US task force went up against the Japanese Center force and kicked their ass.
>>
>>30766234
Picked up the one book that combines the stories, honestly didn't think too much of the 1st segment but the second one really started drawing me in when they're on Tanith. Currently finishing that segment up.
>>30762430
If anyone wants some Africa-related reading, this book is fucking gold. Covers both Congo Wars and while it doesn't go into the nitty gritty of combat operations, its a fucking fantastic read. Also taught me that Rwandans are operator as fuck.
>>
>>30771305
Tangent? What ya mean?

I quite liked Fantasy India. Do you know much about Glen Cook, like, why he started writing? It's because he got a promotion, freetime, and started reading. He went to fantasy, a college years favorite. And found it was mostly shitty books that went on forever and had the same setting.

So he said fuck that, I can make a better book. Then he wrote 4 in a year.

Man is an inspiration to me.
>>
>>30771311
Speaking of lindland, are you planning on reading another book any time soon?
>>
>>30771322

a set of wish-fulfillment novels involving a former Navy SEAL with crazy fantasies who would rape every woman he would come across and kill every man he sees if it wasn't for the fact that the women throw themselves willingly into crazy BDSM and the men are cartoonishly evil.

and then he inherits command of a nation of stone-cold killers in eastern europe filled with hard men and gorgeous women who enjoy former Navy SEALs and BDSM and pleasuring their nation's leader.

yeah it's basically fanfic from a 12-year-old written by a professional author.

http://hradzka.livejournal.com/194753.html
>>
>>30771366
Cover
>>
>>30771384
>http://hradzka.livejournal.com/194753.html
good ole OH JOHN RINGO NO
>>
>>30763422
>harry turtledove
>a hack
Lets be honest kid you are fresh off the boat, from reddit, kid? heh I remember when I was just like you. Braindead. Lemme give you a tip so you can make it in this cyber sanctuary: never make jokes like that. You got no reputation here, you got no name, you got jackshit here. It's survival of the fittest and you ain't gonna survive long on 4chan by saying stupid jokes that your little hugbox cuntsucking reddit friends would upboat. None of that here. You don't upboat. You don't downboat. This ain't reddit, kid. This is 4chan. We have REAL intellectual discussion, something I don't think you're all that familiar with. You don't like it, you can hit the bricks on over to imgur, you daily show watching son of a bitch. I hope you don't tho. I hope you stay here and learn our ways. Things are different here, unlike any other place that the light of internet pop culture reaches. You can be anything here. Me ? heh, I'm a judge.. this place.... this place has a lot to offer... heh you'll see, kid . . . that is if you can handle it.
>>
>>30771366
>>30771410
Oshit, I literally just bought that book. How does it compare to Neptune's Inferno?
>>
File: image.jpg (320KB, 1280x1667px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
320KB, 1280x1667px
>Michael will never be real
>you will never blast aliens in a powersuit
>you will never have space orgies
>you will never pedal a 'thopter around Rama

Why even live
>>
>>30771430
This isnt even pasta what the fuck
>>
>>30771430

Where is this from?
>>
>>30771382
By popular request, I think I'll do World War Z next.

A few other options: 'Rainbow Six' (with a "pink mist" counter. IIRC, R6 can never just shoot terrorists, they have to turn their heads into pink mist with controlled bursts), John Birmingham's 'Axis of Time' trilogy. I was also considering Tom Kratman's 'A State of Disobedience' but Cuckbattles did it first.

Still open for suggestions.

>>30771430

Honestly, my favorite Turtledove books are his Videssos Cycle, where the Roman legions that were lost in the Black Forest are teleported into a fantasy Byzantium.
>>
>>30771506
> 'Rainbow Six' (with a "pink mist" counter.
I forgot which Clancy book it was, but there's something like three comparisons made to a "Kansas tornado" within 100 or so pages.
>>
>>30771506

is there going to be a separate counter for "three 180 grain hollowpoints to the skull"?
>>
File: 1469495753892.jpg (33KB, 386x480px) Image search: [Google]
1469495753892.jpg
33KB, 386x480px
>>30766342
>Red Phoenix
My nigga.
>>
>>30771529
Clancy or "Clancy"

Another "Clancy" one that hasn't aged gracefully is his Net Force novels.

>>30771544
Of course.
>>
>>30770761

I talked to his brother about the next book "Full Frontal Cybertank" and he said that Dr. Gawne generally write his books for fun on flights between conferences.

Yeah... I kind of wasted my life. I mean, I probably got more pussy, but I wasted my life. Bad.
>>
>>30771567
It was straight up Clancy. It may have even been R6. That, or Bear and the Dragon.
>>
File: nightingale.jpg (418KB, 1222x1630px) Image search: [Google]
nightingale.jpg
418KB, 1222x1630px
anything by john plaster about vietnam
>>
>>30771430
that pasta is delicious. you gramma she proud a you guiseppe! thatsa onea spizzzee meatabaall!
>>
>>30771583
God, the Bear and the Dragon blew. It was like that subplot with the radio station guy and the Iceland girl with the spy and the Chinese secretary, but for much more of the book.
>>
>>30771583
Addendum; there's at least one more made in Patriot Games.
https://books.google.com/books?id=uQurT021AuwC&pg=PT1625&lpg=PT1625&dq=tom+clancy+kansas+tornado&source=bl&ots=QrXiC5nRAE&sig=EyVH4Cp_eZfTW7tGOvLh-797UEk&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjwvbPY1ZLOAhXDdx4KHc7cA9wQ6AEIHDAA#v=onepage&q=tom%20clancy%20kansas%20tornado&f=false
>>
>>30771612
Not to mention having Rainbow Six storm a Chinese nuclear launch site, killing some of them off, but not bothering to say who bought the farm.
>>
mfw no Storm of Steel
Ernst Junger rose from private to Lieutenant of a Shock Troop Unit and survived being shot in the chest.
read his fucking book
>>
>>30771625
Didn't an Apache shoot down some Chinese ICBMs in their boost phase? I read it in middle school because it was in the school library, so it's really been a while.
>>
>>30771676
yup, with 30mm i think
>>
>>30771676
Chin gun made it pop, wasting a shitload of Russian specops in the process if I recall.
>>
It's really hard to pick something else to riff on. Victoria set that bar really high
>>
>>30771706
Ringo's Yellow Eyes is pretty fucking hilarious.
>>
>>30771788
>Yellow Eyes is a novel in John Ringo's Legacy of the Aldenata series, co-authored with Tom Kratman. The book, which is a spin-off of the main series, focuses on the Posleen invasion of Central America, with an emphasis on Panama. In contrast with other books in the series, emphasis is given to naval warfare, including the reactivation of the old warships USS Texas, USS Salem, and USS Des Moines.
>co-authored by Tom Kratman
>emphasis is given to naval warfare
>reactivation of the old warships USS Texas, USS Salem, and USS Des Moines

So this is Retroculture?
>>
>>30771835
You have no idea.
>>
>>30771842
This might beat "T-34s from the Tsar"
>>
>>30771788

what's that book where they resurrect the Waffen SS?
>>
>>30771865
Watch on the Rhine. That one's also a complete doozy. I'm pretty sure that's the one that made me just put Ringo down. I managed to get through all of the main Posleen War books, and even the Swiss Guard wank book, and, somehow, Yellow Eyes, where a sentient Des Moines cruiser falls in love with its captain. But Watch on the Rhine, I just stopped and never picked it up again. And it's going to stay that way.
>>
>>30771895

so... is it agreed that John Ringo is kinda fucked in the head then?
>>
>>30771612
>God, the Bear and the Dragon blew
I love how he completely glossed over the ground war. Like, I kinda wanna see how a bunch of T-54s with old reservists were able to take on and skullfuck modern Chinese armor divisions.
>>
>>30771915
4th Generation Warfare.
>>
>>30771335
>That once scene from Prince of Sparta really took me by surprise though - one chick wipes semen from her face after she is rescued from the rebel sex dungeon
>Like wtf Jerry
Jerry doesn't hold back, man. His characters get fucked up and he gives no fucks.

He just doesn't stroke himself over inflicting max misery to each and every one like GRRM.
>>
>>30771506
>Honestly, my favorite Turtledove books are his Videssos Cycle, where the Roman legions that were lost in the Black Forest are teleported into a fantasy Byzantium.
That probably was his best series, yeah.

World War Z next, focus on it doing full retard because is it ever. The "hurrr AF bombs don't work on zombies" makes me so mad about the smug way he just churned out bullshit that he knows nothing about and how people lap it up.
>>
>>30771915
>muh ISR, the book
god I like Clancy but he was so far off base on that book
>>
File: tsundere_heavy_cruiser.png (62KB, 264x276px) Image search: [Google]
tsundere_heavy_cruiser.png
62KB, 264x276px
>>30771895
>where a sentient Des Moines cruiser falls in love with its captain.
>>
>>30771915
>>30771990
Don't forget how a few American MLRS were able to entirely shred Chinese columns to complete combat ineffectiveness on their lonesome.

Still wasn't nearly as full of bullshit as Red Storm Rising. As someone who worked the nuke mission, it would NEVER have played out like that because NATO planned to go to nukes the moment the Soviet tank divisions crossed the border.
>>
File: 51TqaATLPKL.jpg (33KB, 304x500px)
51TqaATLPKL.jpg
33KB, 304x500px
>>30762430
Fields of Fire, by Jim Webb
I think this is basically the best Vietnam book; it captures exactly why Vietnam sucked better than any nonfiction account realistically could, and because it's written by a no-bullshit war hero Marine it doesn't have the whiny peacenik tone of, e.g., Dispatches.
>>
>>30771934
>that Falkenberg engagement in the amphitheater where the rebels get fucked up

Odessa steps with extra blood, mmmmmm

Or,
>that scene on Sparta with the rebel training camp and the deserters being tortured

Wew
>>
>>30772042
I'm not too much in the know about how RSR was incorrect, but I do know I enjoyed its depiction of clashing superpowers a shitload more than what Bear and the Dragon shat out onto my lap.
>>
>>30768234

Holy Fuck! I thought I was the only one who read Beowulf's Children..

Though I enjoyed the first one Legacy of Heorot more.
>>
>>30772094
AND HE COULD HAVE BEEN PRESIDENT

now we're stuck with these two froffles
>>
>>30771911
VERY FUCKED

>>30771895
When he started hamfistedly inserting a talking rabbit that turned out to be from the webcomic Sluggy Freelance into his novels I said no fucking more. That's trashy even at a fanfic level.
>>
>>30772130
>Sluggy Freelance
I just tried to plow through that bullshit, though it was fucking hilarious to see how horribly a segment of early webcomic history has aged when seeing it even referenced today.
>>
>>30772113
Nope! I read it too. Didn't read Legacy of Heorot first/ever though, which is a shame because I suspect it would have been a much more enjoyable book overall.

Still, those speed crocs, and those FUCKING EXPLOSIVE PIRANHA BUG SWARMS, man. Fuuuuck.
>>
>>30772168
>>30772130

Sluggy Freelance is how i first heard of Ringo back in the day. i haven't read it for about 3 years now, mainly because there's just too much plot.

which is why i like Dr McNinja... just as plot was developing, he decided to kill it.
>>
>>30771990

Clancy books always had little tiny mistakes in them, stuff that would've gone unnoticed in the pre-internet era, but now with the ability to Google things, stand out like sore thumbs. Fun reads generally, but if you have more knowledge than Clancy in something and run across one, it's very jarring. Things got worse as time went on and Clancy tried to keep current, adding things he really shouldn't have tried to explain when he didn't understand them.

At any rate, is this the new writefag thread too, or should I start a separate one if people want to post their own stuff?
>>
>>30772168
I tried at one point in my younger life but even with much more patience I finally had to call uncle. What's sad is the guy actually isn't totally inept at making interesting plotlines but his "jokes" and constant segueing off onto whatever pop culture thing is in vogue for a week ruins it. Before I quit, the only time I remember him successfully avoiding the segueing off for a while, is the spaceship time-pirates--which was actually an interesting setting. Apparently when he was doing that bit he was slow as fuck updating too.
>>
If you don't mind 80's tech and cat people, I have to recommend the little-known Greg Howell and his Human Memoirs story. You can find it with a simple google search.

Involves a US soldier being stranded in an alternate medieval world of cat people with only his truck full of rifles, ammo and heavy weapons. Most of it deals with him being isolated and terrified, but the story is really engaging with plenty of action instead of a one-sided stomp like you'd imagine.
>>
>>30772230
Separate.
>>
>>30772230

and to be fair, some of the stuff is stuff that we just didn't know out in the west. like how an Akula doesn't have a liquid-metal cooled reactor, just a really high pressure water reactor in the Hunt for Red October.

i re-read that as i thought about being a Navy Sub officer.
>>
>>30762430
>A group of dindu-hating /k/ommandos happen upon a time machine
I know /k/ doesn't have spoiler tags, but come on.
>>
>>30764394
>Otto Skorzeny goes to buy lizard laser rangefinder from serious ginger addict
>Cut to him driving back the whole fucking tank
>>
>>30772303
>Involves a US soldier being stranded in an alternate medieval world of cat people with only his truck full of rifles, ammo and heavy weapons.
Soooo, it's Destroyermen, but on a smaller scale.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
Show me your books /k/.
Missing is The First World War by Martin Gilbert (not /k/ approved, literally 60% of it is Jewish propaganda), Storms of Steel, Poilu, Frozen Hell, and All Quiet on the Western Front.
>>
>>30772327

oh whoops.

it was the Alfa class, and the book had highly-pressurized water reactor while real life had a liquid metal one.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>30772366
>>
>>30772171

Legacy of Heorot is by far the superior one.

Really gives that idea of "We are WAY over our fucking heads here".

Reminded me a bit of Heinlein's "Tunnel in the Sky"
>>
>>30771423
I want to like his books, the action seems really good, but the...

OH JOHN RINGO NO!
>>
>>30772321

That's funny, because people were arguing heavily to merge them when I was running the writefag threads. What a difference just a few days makes.

>>30772327

I'm more speaking about "Guamese" (they always call themselves Guamanians, calling one a Guamese is considered an insult) and other ethnocultural stuff, especially when it comes to Asian cultures. There's enough not-quite-right story fluff on the periphery of the action and tech that cause someone with even a passing knowledge of the cultures involved to go "Wait a minute, that didn't sound right."
>>
>>30772117
The Dems rigged their primary for Hillary years ago and he recognized that. Trump is a Black Swan event. There was a lot of talk on /pol/ about Webb for VP but instead we got Governor Asspennies.
>>
>>30772441

Chamorro
>>
>>30772457

The ones I know seem to like Guamanian better, but then again, they're second-gens who live in CONUS.

All of them seem to reject Guamese though.
>>
>>30772366
>A+ and Network+ books
I started with those too lol.
>>
File: WP_20160727_001[1].jpg (1MB, 2649x1728px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160727_001[1].jpg
1MB, 2649x1728px
>>30772366
I wish my shelf was bigger, I got several hundred more books just languishing in the basement...
>>
File: 1469461349780.gif (1MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1469461349780.gif
1MB, 320x240px
>>30771506
>based Billy Boy doing WWZ let's read
>mfw I get to zonk out on muscle relaxers and shit all over another book with /k/omrades for a week or so
My body is soooo ready, when does it begin?
>>
>>30772356
Yes actually, and not as wet.

Also no cannibal lizards, and the cat people's entire culture is very much cat, and not just humans with their features(ie: language barrier, behavior, psychology)
>>
>>30772230
Yup. Reading his depiction of hostage rescue training in Rainbow Six was pretty fucking underwhelming. Seriously what kind of hostage rescue or counter-terror organization has only 2 squad-size teams? The fucking ready team is barely big enough to man 2-3 assault cells, plus a sniper/observer team. There literally aren't enough people to even provide perimeter security.

Why did their marksmanship training exclusively focus on slow-fire group shooting? Like seriously this was 1998, IPSC was a big deal, 3-gun had already existed for over a decade, and elite guys from both the HRT and Delta were shooting a shit ton of ammo in competition and training with guys like Leatham, Plaxco, Barnhart, and Shaw. Thanks to peacetime + tier 1 money Delta guys were shooting over 50,000 rounds each carbine and pistol annually on the books, and a lot of guys were practicing at home and traveling on the weekends for matches. Meanwhile in R6 they shoot like 50 rounds each work day or whatever slow fire and Clancy jacks it off as if it's an exorbitant ammo expenditure.

These are all tiny nitpicks but holy cow do they rustle my jimmies.
>>
>>30772550
Neat, will give it a read.
>>
>>30763814
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rLzCC9ad7ss
>>
>>30772563
Why did Clancy waste a bunch of time describing how fancy and impregnable the Kansas facility was and then have the notional climax of the book be a turkey shoot down in South America? What a disappointing book.
>>
>>30763814
One of my favorites. Part of what got me into WW2 history
>>
>>30772652
> and then have the notional climax of the book be a turkey shoot down in South America?
That was such a fucking letdown, you'd think he'd let us get to see the team's skills get truly tested, but nah, they get a God-mode device and proceed to annihilate a couple dozen idiots that are mostly comprised of hunters and radical hippies. Wew. You get pages and pages of that Kansas complex, describing how it was airtight, defended by an army, and practically bomb proof....and then it doesn't even come into play.
>>
>>30763592
My personal problem was I was reading one of the world war novels after the war, and like 5 times the lizards will not shut the fuck up about the holocaust.
>>
>>30772754
I've never read the Worldwar books. Are they worth putting on the riffing list?
>>
>>30772754

well to most of the western world, the holocaust is a pretty significant event that's taken as a fact.

so yeah, a bunch of nazis killing a whole lot of jews, gypsys, commies, and homosexuals is pretty significant.

>>30772804

eh... it's Turtledove. terrible sex, some interesting observations, Otto Skozerny is awesome enough to make you forget he's Waffen SS for a while, and there are some shitty tactical decisions.

kinda interested in his new book about magic and baseball assuming there's no awkward sex.
>>
>>30772804
They are interesting, the lizards have 90's military tech. They however don't have much practical experience with it. And they end up stealing a lizard tank and end up with tigers that fire apds towards the end of the war ones
>>
>>30772852
I know but it is like every other fucking chapter in the latter books.
>>
File: e71.png (9KB, 274x290px)
e71.png
9KB, 274x290px
>>30772852
>>
>>30772563

I have a feeling that Clancy based more and more of his books off of what his "inside sources" were telling him. In later years, I have the feeling his sources were either not telling him the truth, or were just fucking with him.

>>30772652
>>30772704

I have a feeling there was a significant plot thread that got snipped somewhere along the line, much like the MUH MILITIA CONSTITUTION guys in Executive Orders who build a VBIED to kill the President and get a bunch of descriptive build-up for their plot, but who all get arrested without a fight at a roadside diner by a suspicious state trooper and are forgotten about for the rest of the book. There was something that was supposed to be an integral plot point, but somehow it didn't make it in and they forgot to edit the stub of it out.
>>
>>30772852
what pissed me off, was there was no COL. REX MOTHERFUCKING APPLEGATE to kick everyones ass into line in 5 pages.

he was the only man IRL Skorzeny was afraid of.
>>
>>30773035
Another for the filter!
>>
>>30772398

Yeah, the second book managed to make teenaged hallucinogen-fueled or goes on an alien planet seem boring. But the fucking biology alone is amazing, so it's worth a read.

>>30772804

Yeah, they're ok. They're funny because the aliens are stuck in this sort of social and technological stasis with 100,000 years of unified political theory, so they don't really advance quickly at all. Like, it took them millenia to develop nuclear power after the concept was proven. And they sort of assume all sentient species will follow that trend. So when their probe sends back pictures of 12th century Earth, they figure that nothing much will have changed in the 800 years it takes them to get here. And of course, they land directly in the middle of WWII.

So not only are humans wildly more advanced than they had assumed we'd be, but we copy literally everything they drop in addition to coming up with shit on our own. Basically, they invade thinking they'll take the whole planet and end up with a few strongholds that they manage to cling to by threatening to go all Samson Option if overrun.
>>
>>30772489
I have a shit ton in storage. These two are the ones I draw on the most so I keep them in arms reach.
>>
Hammer's Slammers.
Space mercs.
Space mercs with hover tanks
written by a nam armor vet (lost his leg)
really good shit senpai.
>>
>>30773035
I assume that he wrote himself into a corner, couldn't figure out how to make a Kansas assault work, and hamfistedly cranked out the ending we got to meet a deadline or because he ran out of steam and just wanted it over with.
The way the heartbeat sensor is offhandedly mentioned a couple of times over the course of the book but never actually matters until the very end just screams last-minute edit.
>>
>>30773123
What else do you recommend for someone who's just breaking into the field? I'm mostly done with a Comp Sci degree but I started doing IT contracting and I'm finding it way more fun than banging out code.
>>
>>30773035

or they could have left it in because TOM CLANCY WRITES DOORSTOPPERS and they needed padding.

>>30773123

i continually raid my room back home for old books that i've read half of and never finished. so i'm reading Taipei, Blood Meridian, two Pynchon books, Fight Club, some book about a tiger in Siberia my mom gave me, Seveneves, Godel Escher Bach, Kierkegaard, Marcus Aurelius, The Prince, some dry theological books, a book on ballistics, and a book from Randy Couture about wrestling. and e-books of the Orphan Master's Son, Dracula, Anabasis, and two books from Brandon Sanderson.

i just bought a book today.

help me.
>>
>>30773151
>>30773035
>>30772704
>>30772652
You guys just need to Go, and Harmonize.
>>
>>30773151

That's definitely a possibility as well.

I'm still puzzled by the whole MUH MILITIA thing in Executive Orders that literally went nowhere. It never gets a callback in any of his later novels at all (even the ghostwritten ones).

>>30773167

If they wanted to do that, the publishers just need to crank out a large-print edition and be done with it, the book was big enough without it anyways. I surmise his editors probably either got overloaded with it all and missed it, or figured it wasn't worth fighting him over it.
>>
>>30773167
>i just bought a book today.
>help me.
I have a copy of most every book posted in this thread. Three (3) copies of this book alone: >>30763391

My books are stored in boxes because I couldn't begin to have the shelf room.
>>
>>30773159
It really depends on what exactly you're doing. A short booklet on basic Unix and Linux commands is a must-have. I'd also recommend books on various languages too, especially C++. Other than that it's just whatever you find yourself needing. If you're just doing contracting you shouldn't need super-advanced stuff too often; in fact, an A+ and a Networking+ study guide may be all you need regularly.
>>
>>30773159
Learn Pythin, Ruby, and YAML. Get in to DevOps.
>>
>>30773203

yeah, i have like three bookshelves at home that are filled two-deep. and that's just stuff from high school and before. i've still got all my undergrad and grad school books somewhere in boxes in the mother-in-law suite.

i have no idea where my copy of Cryptonomicon is.

i blame my parents (dad keeps all his car magazines since like '94, mom was a librarian)
>>
>>30773151
That's the only reasonable explanation out there I think, there's no way he just forgot to bring that fortress into play.
>>
>>30762430
I read that about 10 years ago. The author didn't fuck around and it gets right to business right off the bat. Fuckin great read.
>>
>>30773221
I'm saying specifically for the IT contracting side. Sadly, going to /g/ after most of the way done with degree let me realize that knowing Java as primary language means I'll compete with Pajeet.

Basic commands are easy and mostly known but having a quick lookup sounds good.

Will grab A+ and Networking+, thanks.

>>30773224
So why those?
>>
>>30773224
>Ruby
>a language more SJWs use than any other
>>
>>30773283
One of the major devops frameworks is written in it.
>>
>>30773265
One tip I can give is not to rely on /g/. No matter how simple the question, it will lead into a series of increasingly retarded and complex arguments. I've gotten screwed in multiple situations where I needed a fast answer from them.
>>
Just bought an ebook of World War Z

Soon.
>>
>>30762430
I got a kick out of The Salvation War myself.

It's what happens if the rapture hits but conventional weaponry works on demons/angels.

http://www.tboverse.us/HPCAFORUM/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=29

Can read the thing for free there.

It's already been mentioned but The Forever War was a good read, I read Steel World too on /k/'s suggestion and liked it alright.

Picked up Blue's Bastards for a buck the other day and found it fascinating.
>>
>>30773487

there's some typically cheesy stuff of the "my taste in kinkyness and pop culture is better than yours" variety, but the Salvation War stuff is fun.

though as /k/'s resident fighter WSO i'm somewhat sure i'm going to be irritated by parts of it.
>>
>>30773487
>I got a kick out of The Salvation War myself.
>It's what happens if the rapture hits but conventional weaponry works on demons/angels.
>http://www.tboverse.us/HPCAFORUM/phpBB3/viewforum.php?f=29
I've read it and it was fanfic-tier, pretty terrible and they didn't have a clue about military equipment beyond obvious googling/wikipedia entries.
>>
>>30771335
That was S.M. Stirling that wrote Prince of Sparta.
>>
>>30773487
>Salvation War

Tips Fedora: the Novel

Does Stuart Slade have any other way of describe wounds besides "turned into hamburger"?

And the TBO stuff would probably trigger the fuck out of Oppenheimer
>>
>>30771477
>being this new
>>
>>30773521
Strike Eagle guy?
>>
>>30771598
https://youtu.be/qlEKLvwcXxQ?t=49
>>
>>30762430
unintended consequences
>kid grows up shooting
>shoots so much he has a callous on his shoulder that needs to be trimmed by a doctor on occasion.
>meets lawyer in rhodesia
>shoots trap with a 375 Ackley
>flies planes
>ATF tries to set him and his friends up
>roots through ATF and takes it apart piece by piece
>kills shit tons of anti fun political filth
> starts revolution against ATF and FBI for their roles in murdering gun enthusiasts and imprisoning them forever on bullshit charges like "conspiracy to violate", paid judges, pre-signed blank search warrants and multi million dollar murder sprees.
>>
>>30768404
Can we just use africa?

That will save us a lot in shipping expenses.
>>
File: image.jpg (26KB, 214x346px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
26KB, 214x346px
Just read Flyboys. About ww2 naval aviators.

Pretty good.
>>
>>30772403
The Last Centurion is my favorite, despite (or because of?) the fact that it is basically built around a web rant against Hillary and the whole progressive culture.
>>
Fuckin' Dies the Fire is pretty fun, the Emberverse series started out great. but post Mike-Havel biting the bullet, the follow-up books just diverge into gay fantasy.

Though, Island in the Sea of Time and the Nantucket series are a bit of a wankfest, they are pretty fun.
>>
John ringo books Hymn before battle and following. Hammer slammers series (mercs, hover tanks etc) also Bolo themed books (just Google it). Metric ton of SF but I like it
>>
File: ruark.jpg (4KB, 140x180px)
ruark.jpg
4KB, 140x180px
Something of Value by Robert Ruark.

Fictionalized account of the Mau Mau uprising.
>>
File: St-Vincent.jpg (36KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
St-Vincent.jpg
36KB, 720x404px
>>30773203
are you counting Omnibus editions? It's a good book, but I can't imagine why you'd hold onto three stand alone copies.
>>
>>30771506

You should do Patriots next.
>>
File: 51FVckDmrjL.jpg (55KB, 333x500px) Image search: [Google]
51FVckDmrjL.jpg
55KB, 333x500px
>>30771506
>Honestly, my favorite Turtledove books are his Videssos Cycle, where the Roman legions that were lost in the Black Forest are teleported into a fantasy Byzantium.

QFT.

You should do Patriots or maybe Rawles next book:
https://www.amazon.com/Land-Promise-Counter-Caliphate-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B015D0U330?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B015D0U330&linkCode=as2&linkId=IJE3SLHNEYNANPF5&redirect=true&ref_=as_li_tl&tag=survivalcom-20
>>
>>30774678

> Emberverse

Motherfucker. Fuck that series.

> S.M. Stirling starts with the premise that aliens somehow buttfucked the laws of physics to the point that nothing modern works anymore
> actually pulls it off
> proceeds to turn the series into a giant lake of boiling Celtic shit

Fucker.
>>
>>30775412
Wiccans are gay, the end.
>>
>>30775351
One is a large print/picture edition, one has the neato cover of the centaur rider getting shishkebabed (that picture was what first got me reading Pournelle actually).
>>
>>30763858
>Axis of Time "books"
fuck off, that shit was atrocious.
>>
>>30775405
>>30775395

Rawles is an absolute shit-tier novelist though
>>
>>30776601
That's the point.
>>
File: RT-Vol. 1.jpg (1MB, 2210x3076px) Image search: [Google]
RT-Vol. 1.jpg
1MB, 2210x3076px
>no rogue trooper
C'mon, guys.

>a genetically-engineered infantryman fights a one-man war through the toxic expanses of nu-earth to find the traitor that sold out him and his buddies
>>
>>30762430
>book ends with Lee tagging out because he reads modern propaganda, I mean textbooks, about blacks and whites living in harmony
It was stupid 10 years ago, it's flat earth society tier now.
>>
>>30776541
>centaur rider getting shishkebabed
you gotta post that. 70's cover art, sometimes it even had something to do with the book's plot~!
>>
>>30775405
By popular demand, it's going to be World War Z.

I'll have Rawles, The Bear and the Dragon, and the Axis of Time, and whatever other shitty find you guys find for the next time.
>>
>>30762629
>On Killing

I know it's a perennial /k/ favorite, but I was looking at a few of the top Amazon reviews, and they said the science had been debunked or superseded or something? And/or the guy that wrote the book, or maybe the work it was based on, was shown to have a lot of flaws in their methods or something. Yeah, I think that was it. Is that true?
>>
Homage to Catalonia by George Orwell is pretty good, detailing the Spanish civil war and his volunteering. Includes how he got shot in the throat and still survived.
>>
>>30764620
>Bob Lee Swagger series by Stephen Hunter
Picked up Point of Impact for 10 cents in a thrift shop one day. It was amazing. Then a few years later they made a movie out of it.
>>
>>30777395
Grossman is a hokey motherfucker and the SLA Marshall research he references was literally falsified. It's bunk.
>>
The Forever War
Arclight
15 Hours
>>
>>30772303
>all the links are to furry websites
fuck off furfag
>>
I don't know about his other books but Flood by Andrew Vachss is /k/ as fuck.
>>
>>30773150
>(lost his leg)
Don't be an idiot.
>>
>>30771378
I have an enormous soft spot for the Silver Spike. Yes, it's a complete tangent, but it wrapped up some of the side characters in a really beautiful way.
>>
>>30775405
>The fledgling Ilemi Republic is a nation of firsts in modern history: The first nation as a dedicated place of refuge for Christians and Messianic Jews; The first nation with absolutely no taxes or levies of any kind; The first nation with no licenses or permits; The first nation with minimalist government; The first nation to reject fiat currency and establish a tri-metallic currency (gold, silver, and platinum); The first nation to have a self-policing citizenry with a citizen's militia--and hence no standing army and no police force; The first nation with a near absolute right to keep and bear arms, where only weapons of mass destruction are restricted from private ownership; and the first nation without a parliament or congress, where all decisions are made by public referendum.

This is ripe for a let's read. I mean wow, are we sure this isn't another of Lind's sock puppets?
>>
>>30778245
Silver Spike felt like a book Glen Cook had an idea for a long time, and stuck in BC, with some wrappings up.

Read Dragon Never Sleeps?
>>
>>30778341
No, but I know what I'm reading tonight.
>>
File: RedArmy.jpg (76KB, 300x450px) Image search: [Google]
RedArmy.jpg
76KB, 300x450px
Literally the only relevant book about WW3.
>>
>>30778363
What interested you about it senpai?
>>
>>30778603
The author, if nothing else. His stuff is pretty good, in my experience. The Garrett PI series is self-indulgent fluff but whatever, I can forgive him that.
>>
File: 51HvG5HntOL.jpg (39KB, 309x500px) Image search: [Google]
51HvG5HntOL.jpg
39KB, 309x500px
This shit. My granddad had a shit ton of books and I found this in the pile when I was pretty young. It's trashy WW3/post-apoc written in the late 80s.
>>
>>30765768
Lol, I try to tell people it was a thing back from Johnathan Hickman 2007 but no one listens... No one listens.....
>>
>>30778420
shame though makes no mention of equipment in it, I mean really hard to follow up with with no equipment references. the ending kind of sucked to
>>
>>30771856
T-34's from the Tsar?

I'm assuming it's a novel but I googled it but I didn't find anything.
>>
>>30779842
it's something stupid that came out of Victoria
>>
>>30779918

Oh. I haven't read that one - Is it just a novel called "Victoria"? Who's it by?

(Thanks for replying btw)
>>
>>30765459
Hey didn't a tripfag scan that whole book a while back? I'm looking for the link to that upload.
>>
>>30779941
it's by WIlliam Lind under a pen name. there are some read threads if you check desuarchive
>>
>>30779918

>implying anything smart was even remotely associated with Lindsanity
>>
>>30780041
fair enough
>>
>>30780017

Ahh yeah I saw a thumbnail for this a few days ago.

Cheers!
>>
>>30775405
>rawles

Hurr as long as your Christian and got a 1911 gold cup match you gonna survive against the fascist neo gubmint thugs
>>
>>30780097

It's super retarded. Trust me, the Let's Read threads are all you need to know.

>>30780117

So he's basically Lind lite?
>>
>>30778322
>a tri-metallic currency
What does that even mean?
>>
File: shitoria.jpg (190KB, 564x900px) Image search: [Google]
shitoria.jpg
190KB, 564x900px
>>30762430
Everyone knows that this is /k/'s favorite book.
>>
>>30780194

RETROCULTURE

LIGHT RAIL
>>
>>30780233
LIGHT RAIL ENTHUSIAST
>>
>>30780427

CORN
O
R
N
>>
File: LIGHTRAILENTHUSIAST.jpg (55KB, 752x439px) Image search: [Google]
LIGHTRAILENTHUSIAST.jpg
55KB, 752x439px
>>30780427
>>
File: lind.jpg (50KB, 500x324px) Image search: [Google]
lind.jpg
50KB, 500x324px
>>
Good read, and dirt cheap in amazon ($3)
>>
>>30780233
MISSION
TYPE
ORDERS
>>
>>30780194
F R E A K Y
C I R C U S
S E X
>>
>>30778322
Oh boy, this is going to have to go on the list.

Need some time though, because as fun as Victoria was, I think back-to-back Lindsanity might be overdoing it
>>
>>30780194
C H O O
C H O O
T R A I N S

https://youtu.be/yohemixb7G4?t=1m29s
>>
>>30778322
>part of the Counter-Caliphate Chronicles

My body is ready
>>
>>30780233
>>30780427
>>30780430
>>30780437
>>30780448
>>30780511
>>30780523
>>30780606
As the Prussians, the masters of war, would say: "Ich bin ein riesiger Schwuchtel" which we all know came from Moltke the Elder and Refined by Clausewitz.
>>
I honestly don't get some of the hate for John Ringo. The Prince Roger books were pretty good, and Vorpal Blade and Troy Rising were at least decent.
>>
>>30762430
What about Jennifer Government.

Its about a world run by corpations and nonstate actors stepping in as the primary fabric of human society with people's last names for instance being the company they belong too.

Also the NRA is super powerful and has a huge private army and sells weapons and mercs to other companies (or something to that effect).

The book also inspired NationStates which is one of the biggest autist fests of like millions of made up and wanked countries and empires, besides alt history sites and deviantart or others.
>>
>>30778322
>no weapons of mass destruction
WEAKSAUCE

SHALL NOOOOT BEE INFRINGED

No half measures.
>>
Sharpe's? Anybody? Anybody?
>>
File: 1469573677922.jpg (142KB, 459x579px) Image search: [Google]
1469573677922.jpg
142KB, 459x579px
>>30780704
>Its about a world run by corpations and nonstate actors stepping in as the primary fabric of human society with people's last names for instance being the company they belong too.
Are there seriously autists out there who think this is an ideal world to strive for?
>>
>>30780755
Only poorly made strawmen of market anarchists and anarcho-capitalists.
>>
>>30780755
they're called ancaps
>>
>>30780755
I think there are a few people who read too much Gibson and Stephenson back during the heyday of cyberpunk and learned the wrong lesson from the novels. The EU is the closest thing we have to a post-national corporatist government and it's terrible.
>>
>>30780783
>They're called strawmen of ancaps
Fixed that for you
>>
File: roads_2419537b.jpg (125KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
roads_2419537b.jpg
125KB, 620x387px
>>30780821
begone
>>
>>30780755
>>30780782
>>30780783
Well I should clarify.

The book mostly portrays the problem with this ancap society, by mostly showing the consequences via intrigue and corruption.
>>
>>30780843
That didn't take very long.
>>
>>30780854
I gotcha. I'm not an ancap but the rebuttal to that would be "is it any different in a society with states instead of corporations."
>>
>>30780843
>>30780856
In my free market libertarian utopia, roads will be illegal.
>>
>>30780704
>What about Jennifer Government.

Flaming pile of shit.
>>
>>30780877
But the AnCap point is that we're better off without states. If they do that, they're practically rebutting their own ideology.
>>
>>30780704
Max Barry is a cuck, and Nationstates is a liberal hellholle, though.
>>
>>30780730
Honestly, Lind has to hate the 2nd Amendment as much as he hates the rest of the Bill of Rights.
>>
>>30780510
>Good read
...3 times so far i think.
>>
>>30781824

That particular book isn't by him though.
>>
>>30781870
True, but you can't expect loons of his stripe to actually have any real belief in freedom and rights.
>>
>>30781722
But the NRA is superpowerful and has its own fucking army with tanks and shit. Hell a couple of their soldiers like Billy NRA (lol) try to kill the title government character

I guess I like it BECAUSE its so shit and clearly meant to demonize said organizations. Like how people like the Empire more in Star Wars on average.
>>
>>30781888

>dem trips

Also, I don't think they have any real belief in reality, let alone rights, judging from the bizarre fantasy worlds they seem to live in.
>>
>>30781888
Trips of truth
>>
>>30778876

HHHNNNNGHHHHH!!!!!!!!

I read this as a kid 20-odd years ago.
>>
>>30777483
>hen a few years later they made a movie out of it.
God I hated that movie.
it took a great book and fucking ruined it into yet another "mark walburg VS the government" wankshow
>>
>>30783032
Yeah, that was roughly when I read it, too, if not a few years earlier. I thought it was the coolest shit ever.

Now... eh. But dat nostalgia tho. One of the images that still sticks with me is that biker gang cruising along, falling apart from radiation sickness and looking for people to rape.
>>
>>30780694
I just can't stand the way he structures his plots so that someone is always getting raped or there's always a prostitute or something involved. Not to mention his bizarro ideas on what constitutes effective military training and his love for big dumb AR calibers like .458 and .50 Beowulf.
>>
>>30783388
I've not read any of the Ghost books, so I can't speak to that. I like that he doesn't take himself so seriously that he can't take a joke or poke fun at himself/
>>
>>30783462
Oh fuck, I'm dumb. I got Tom Kratman and John Ringo mixed up.
>>
>>30783496
And Kratman was a fucking Lieutenant Colonel, so he should know fucking better
>>
>>30783496
>>30783515
I haven't read any of Kratman. Didn't he try and tell an actual M1 Abrams tanker that he knew better than the literal fucking tanker?
>>
>>30783515
>And Kratman was a fucking Lieutenant Colonel, so he should know fucking better
>staff-grade officer
>knowing shit
>>
>>30783561

i know Sprey/Boyd did that with pilots over Vietnam.
>>
File: ThereIsACorrelationHere.jpg (199KB, 956x734px) Image search: [Google]
ThereIsACorrelationHere.jpg
199KB, 956x734px
>>30762430
>>
File: other rape horse.gif (406KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
other rape horse.gif
406KB, 400x225px
>>30771645
Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, but they misspelled the title. Good read though, I just finished it a few weeks ago.

>>30771895
>where a sentient Des Moines cruiser falls in love with its captain.
Just like my Japanese animes.
>>
File: image.jpg (534KB, 2048x1536px)
image.jpg
534KB, 2048x1536px
>>30772113
>>30772171
>>30772398

Speak of the devil, new news today from the man himself
>>
>>30772168
Read Schlock Mercenary instead. Schlock is literally /k/ incarnate as a blob of amorphous death. Just force your way through the early bad drawing to get to the god tier level shit that is Book 15. The earlier books were good, too, but holy shit, the ending to Delegates and Delegation was amazing. Howard Taylor could have ended the whole comic then and there if he wanted to.
>>
Surprised no one's mentioned Larry Correia here. He does tend to Mary Sue, but I'll let that slide for the sheer quality of writing and plot. Dead Six is a pretty damn good series that crosses Oceans 11 with Rolland the Headless Thompson Gunner. Then The Grimoire books have mother fucking John Browning as a character and some of the best researched Imperial Japanese I've ever seen. Then MHI is just generally awesome. The guy can seriously write and he's a fellow gun nut, so definitely /k/ worthy.
>>
>>30774612

His early Possleen War books were pretty good, despite the artificial weaknesses he shoehorned in. And Eye of the Storm was pretty good compared to the Cally stuff that came before it. Too bad there hasn't been any movement on that front in 7 years now.

The Black Tide series was pretty decent, too, though I think he went way overboard with Faith. He does love his Action Girls. Still a fun read and interesting in the strategic sense if not realistic in the details.
>>
>>30777483
Really the only "flaw" is that he is/was a bit of a fudd.
>literally calls the M9 a "mouse gun" in one of the books
>muh M14 2stronk inna vietnam no one is allowed to carry a M16 with me
>>
>>30784286
>muh M14 2stronk inna vietnam no one is allowed to carry a M16 with me
to be fair, the bob is the one saying that, and IIRC his first tour in vietnam was back during the period where the OG M16 was actually trash, so it's in-character
>>
>>30762541
Aww does babby need a book for summer reading?
>>
>>30762689
I've read several Antony Beevor history books, they're all great.
>>
>>30783969
>pass through Mamelukes

YES YES YES
Thread posts: 313
Thread images: 45

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.