[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ruger Mini 30

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: 5854.jpg (33KB, 825x176px) Image search: [Google]
5854.jpg
33KB, 825x176px
Opinions? Would this be a good first rifle?
>>
>>30759421
No
>>
>>30759421

what an ugly rifle, kill yourself wanker
>>
>>30759421
Yes, Ruger's mini series is overpriced but decent. I just hate that they have proprietary magazines. BTW when buying a Mini14 you should avoid pre-2005 models, I don't know if the same applies for the Mini30.
>>
Not if it won't eat steel cased ammo. Hickok did a video on that. Buying brass cased X39 makes no sense.
>>
>>30759465
Wew, quite the shitpost there, buddy
>>
>>30759421
Yes.
>>
>>30759421
They aren't too bad, but you can do better than the Ruger mini-whatever for a comparable or lesser price. They aren't that amazing and aren't that reasonably priced, but they are fun.
>>
I'd honestly go SKS if you want to stick with 7.62x39 it would be more economical and stripper clips are fun. Or if you can find an AK Ir you are dead set on getting a mini get one in .223 my budy has a mini 30 and it does not like Brown Bear.
>>
>>30759622
Honestly, I want an AK, but I don't know enough to avoid getting a turkey.
>>
>>30759421

How much is it? If you got one lined up for $500, get your ass moving and buy it. It also makes a lot of sense for those who live in areas where AR and AK pattern rifles are banned or restricted.

I have two Mini-14s that I got for next to free. Like most will tell you, they are not target rifles by any stretch of the imagination but they are lots of fun to take on ATV or boat trips and are unlikely to break or wear out in your lifetime.
>>
>>30759421
Overpriced

Underperforming

Y?
>>
File: 1460426546384.gif (150KB, 800x1160px) Image search: [Google]
1460426546384.gif
150KB, 800x1160px
>>30759465
>>
You should go all out snowflake unicorn and get a Mini-.300blk.
>>
>>30759725
WASR10, NPAP, OPAP, DDI, and Arsenal are the only brands to consider, go to akg and ask how to check an ak before you buy.
>>
Unless you get a good deal offered, NO. The Mini 30 is not a particularly great first rifle.

If you have never shot a rifle before, buy, or rent/borrow a .22lr. Learn how to trigger pull without flinching, and how to hit your target. If your first rifle is shooting 7.62, you'll potentially develop bad habits without guidance.

If you have shot a rifle before, then ask yourself, why do I want a mini rifle? They're way the fuck overpriced, often going for 800-1000 retail, and for around 600-700 used.

If you want a rifle with a classic wood stock, that shoots the 7.62, get an SKS and spend the rest on ammo.

However, if you are a complete faggot for the Mini 14/30 designs, and you're comfortable blowing $900 to own one, by all means. It's a competent rifle, it will hold up, it is accurate, but for the money you are expected to spend, you're really not doing yourself a good. Ruger himself called the mini "The most expensive plinker there is"

Or get an SKS/AK.
>>30759718
Go to your local gun store. Ask to see their entry level AKs. Find ones you find appealing, and write the names of the manufacturer down, the model, and the price. Ask the owner what one he'd recommend. Usually, from what I noticed, if you talk to the owner and show you value his input, they will give you a mark down.

Go home and research your guns. Read reviews, see if Hickok or someone else shot it, and see what they say. Look online, and see if you can't do it cheaper.

TL:DR Unless someone is selling one in great or good condition for like, $550 or less, don't get a Mini. Get an SKS for $400 and save money, or do some researching and get an AK if you must shoot 7.62x39.
>>
I wouldn't say the Mini 30 would be a good first rifle, I'd recommend basic training on a .22 rifle first if possible.

Other than being overpriced my main gripe with the Mini 30 is it doesn't take AK mags. My position on magazines is unless you have a good reason not to use widely accepted magazines you shouldn't do anything custom. This might have to do with the fact Bill Ruger was a huge Fudd especially when it came to magazines but more likely it has to do with Ruger as a company just wanting to bilk more money out of their consumers. Sig also did this with their MPX.

http://store.sigsauer.com/sig-sauer-mpx-30-round-magazine-gen-ii.html

I don't care how good those mags are, $70 is a lot of money per mag on top of an already expensive gun. Ruger's 20rd mags for the Mini 30 are around $32 but not using the AK pattern mags irks me really bad. You could argue this allows for better quality control and general reliability improvements but if you ask me it creates more problems.

Even the new Ruger American uses $40 proprietary mags for no good reason. Back to the Mini 30, personally I'd rather go with an Ares SCR with a 7.62 upper or alternatively a Saiga style AK (Assuming I didn't live in shithole California that is).
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.