[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pump or semi? And why?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (46KB, 640x349px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 640x349px
Pump or semi? And why?
>>
Auto for slight recoil reduction
>>
>>30743114

Pump, for cool racking sound and less likely ftf
>>
>>30743114

Depends of the load.

thx bye
>>
>>30743114
pump for reliable cycling, this guy knows whats up >>30743152
>>
Pump. Cheaper and can handle low brass better. Also the difference in rate of fire is marginal imo and not worth the extra $
>>
Pump cuz coo
>>
pump for reliability and cruiser condition, semi for sporting and bird hunting. Pump is simpler, easier to fix
>>
>>30743140
>less likely ftf
Only for the experienced user. Teaching my father in law how to shoot trap showed me that the new to pump shotty user will frequently short-stroke it.
>>
semi because Vepr

I'll never need another shotgun, because it can do everything
>>
File: SPAS-12_stock_folded.jpg (10KB, 500x139px) Image search: [Google]
SPAS-12_stock_folded.jpg
10KB, 500x139px
Both :^)
>>
You can't really shoot an auto-shottie that fast anyways due to the recoil, so pump is not much slower.
>>
>>30743228
>full cycle of action
>experienced
A /k/ommando should have no trouble using a weapon they understand.
>>
>>30743269
shit at both
>>
>>30743114
Why not both?
>>
>>30743316
You take that back.
>>
>>30743114
Pump, the price increase and potential reliability decrease that comes with semi-auto isn't worth it.
>>
I've never once in my life short stroked a shotgun and I have no idea how people can fuck up pulling a handle that badly. Just don't baby the thing and it should never happen.
>>
>>30743307
Dude there's a video of two different guys mag dumping semi auto .50 bmg rifles from the standing position rapidly on youtube
>>
>>30743327
try owning one, they are objectively awful
>>
>>30743333
this

plus adjusting it if changing shots or shit brands would be a pain in a semi

still would be nice to have both lol
>>
>>30743311
Look, I'm not saying it's hard. I can shoot a pump shotty in my sleep if need be, shoot-pump-shoot-pump is second nature at this point.

But teaching a newbie to do it can suck. The "just buy a pump shotty" advice for noguns who suddenly need protection is actually probably a bad idea and should be replaced with advising them to buy some form of autoloader.
>>
>>30743132
>slight recoil reduction
Isn't this just because less power is going to the shot and being used to cycle the action?

Why not just use lighter loads then?
>>
>>30743357
No thanks I'll stick to #WrEcKiNg #ScrubZz on MW2.
>>
>>30743353
That's not practical though.
>>
>>30743369
Do you think those same newbies are gonna be good at choosing loads and fixing malfunctions common with automatics?
>>
File: dontneedassaultrifle.jpg (66KB, 500x415px) Image search: [Google]
dontneedassaultrifle.jpg
66KB, 500x415px
>>30743114
Semi-auto, as racking a shotgun gives me an instant-boner that can cast me in a very negative light during a home invasion scenario.
>>
>>30743241
>because Vepr
I assume the issues with them are from using different ammo all the time? Can you make it reliable just using the same loads?
>>
>>30743351
This I've shot thousands of rounds through pumps and have never short stroked
>>
>>30743381
Nope! Not one bit. But you can tell them "buy ammo X, Y, or Z" and a malfunction is /rare/ while pump shotties /always/ must be pumped to reload.
>>
>>30743416
Pumping aint that hard. I was a shotgun noob when I got mine and I never short-stroked.
>>
>>30743489
Well, I used to agree with you and these fine gents: >>30743408, >>30743351

Then I had to teach someone else, not a total noguns (had used guns decades before when conscripted--he got to use a fucking Daewoo and other than knowing it outclassed M-16s of the era he has no idea how jealous I am), and despite him not being a bitch and me explaining what he was doing wrong the guy regularly had short-stroke problems.
>>
I get what >>30743542 is getting at. He's not saying that most people will have trouble with a pump, most people probably will be fine. What he is saying is that some people may, so it can't just be a blanket suggestion to new shooters to get a pump.
>>
>>30743372
Gas piston system uses the momentum of the shell to load a new one in the chamber. It dampens the recoil somewhat.
>>
>>30743542
tell them to scream when they use the shotgun, that usually does the trick
It's probably more likely using shotguns with very tight actions like a Stevens. My 870 was so easy to rack...
>>
File: IMG_1954-1-1.jpg (161KB, 799x599px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1954-1-1.jpg
161KB, 799x599px
SxS coach for maximum fudd
>>
>>30743609
>Gas piston system uses the momentum of the shell
It uses the gas that is propelling the shell, actually taking away from the shell's momentum. And the recoil along with it.
>>
>>30743592
Basically this.

>>30743615
Mossberg 500. It IS a tad stiff/tight and hundreds of rounds haven't changed that but I only found this out when I'd taken ownership from Fleet Farm and assembled it. Still hasn't caused ME any pumping problems, but as I said, some people may.

The other thing is that it's easier to teach "pull trigger and repeat until they stop" instead of "shoot, pump, shoot, pump, don't forget these unpracticed steps in your panic now"
>>
>>30743114
Pump for reliability, semi for speed.

Also, shooting skeet with a pump is hard as fuck, but it can be done.
>>
>>30743132
If you believe this then you should shoot a 1301 tactical with 18 inch barrel.
Kicks the same as/if not more than a pump with 18 inch barrel.
>>
I love my 930. I see no reason to own a pump action.

My 930 will reliably shoot anything, including mini shells.
>>
>>30743542
I guess I just cant comprehend short stroking then. My wife can handle if just fine, and she isnt some he-woman. Then again my SXP has a buttery smooth action, and I've never handled any other pump
>>
>>30743114

I'm picking up a Benelli M2 Tactical tomorrow for $1,000, which is a pretty good deal. Has some other accouterments on it that I don't really give a shit about, like a Surefire mounted on it, night sights, upgraded charging handle, and a drilled & tapped receiver for a sidesaddle, and an extended magazine tube, so I guess it sweetens the deal a little. I like the idea of being able to drop 8 rounds of 00 buck in someone in ~2 seconds.
>>
>>30743717
>shooting skeet with a pump is hard as fuck
wat

You should be reloaded by the time your barrel is back to pre-recoil position. Git gud.
>>
>>30743311
this is never, ever an excuse for poor design
>>
>>30743369

You're retarded.
>>
File: rootytootiepointandshootie.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
rootytootiepointandshootie.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>30743269
Had a chance to buy one for 1800. It was either it or spend 400 more for a police M4 shotgun and I figured the M4 in the end would be more reliable.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.