[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/MEG/ Didn't See One In The Catalog Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 305
Thread images: 30

File: 1464142784076.jpg (96KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
1464142784076.jpg
96KB, 1024x683px
/MEG/ Military Enlistment General

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/4671253

Ask questions, answer questions, bitch about Air Force recruiters. Just keep it contained to this general.
>>
Already enlisted as an 11X. Going to Benning in September.

Wanted to know all the info anyone can give me about becoming a Designated Marksmen.

How to go about it? How common the role is? I read somewhere that every platoon has at least one, is this true? Will I just be basically an infantryman with an M4 with a skill qualifier? Do I get extra bitches if I tell them I'm a sniper?
>>
>>30742372
Thank you, I needed one but didn't have the OP template.
I posted in the last one about there not being any open MOSs I wanted after I took the ASVAB. I gave the recruiter a list of 7 MOSs I'd take, and she said she'd check again first thing Monday morning.
Truth be told though, the more I think about it, I'm not sure I really want to take anything other than 11B or 19D. If I cross off the other five MOSs, and wait for either 11B (or X, I suppose) or 19D to open, how long should I expect to wait? I don't have a job, and I'm living on finite cash, so I can't hold out forever, but I don't want to commit a minimum of 3 years to another MOS because I didn't wait an extra week.
>>
Anyone headed to fort Sill in September?
>>
dont go open contract in any branch
im serious
>>
>>30742396
Could you teach me to be a leet snipah Senpai?
>>
>>30742423
You are in the exact position I was in.

Before I went to MEPS I was told by the First Sergeant that he didn't want to send me down unless I was absolutely going to join no matter what. I wanted 11X or 19D but he said if those weren't open he wanted me to join. I said I would even though that was a lie.

I finally got to MEPS and did the physical and everything. I finally got to speak with the US Army Liaison and told him that I wanted 11X. He said that it wasn't available. I told him that I wanted it no matter what. I don't know if he liked me or maybe because I had a high ASVAB score (85) but he called up his superior and pulled some strings for me and reserved 11X for me even though it wasn't available.

That was my experience. No guarantee it will work for you but just a little bit of insight.

Also if you're going to Sacramento MEPS the Liaison I spoke with was Mr. Thomas. He was really cool.
>>
>>30742498
Let's hope it's the ASVAB thing, because I got a 96, and all my line scores were between 130-134.
And no, I'll be going to MEPS in Atlanta.
>>
So question.

I'm 299 5'8 stocky but still a bear boy,

I'm currenly on abilify and adderall XR max medication for both, lets say I stop taking my meds and lose the weight, could I sign up for national guard or would my online habits come up at any point or my medications? I've been involved with my local CSB community service board which has a lot of government involvement somehow and one doctor misdiagnosed me with paranoia scitzoprenia, I since "fired" that psychologist some people still think I've heard voices/seen things that were not there for whatever reasons they want to believe would that come up when signing a contract? I only have a bail jumping charge trespassing charge and a soon to be gone mistominor battery charge.

Can I join you lads? Or am I stuck with a militia?
>>
>>30742533
Well I severely doubt he liked my personality.
>>
>>30742533
Oh yeah i took 4 years JAFROTC in high school, but that was AWHILE ago. Does that help at all?
>>
>>30742550
Talk to a recruiter. That is something only he can truly tell you. It will be hard though. If you even suggest that you have mental problems you are fucked. If it is on your record you are definitely fucked. See all of your options with a recruiter though.
>>
>>30742568
3-4 years of JROTC lets you enlist as an E2 instead of an E3, no other benefit, though.
>>
>>30742591
All that work for nothing...
>>30742580
It's not on my record? (If you mean legal record)

I have been voluntarily hospitalized but nothing bad happened just got a little homo/ suicidal according to what i said.
>>
>>30742550

You're probably permanently disqualified due to the mental health stuff and maybe the crimes, but even if you aren't the recruiter isn't going to take you seriously until you've lost at least 75~ pounds. You need to lose over a hundred to be in standards.
>>
>>30742671
How could he find out about the mental health stuff???

Couldn't I just explain what happened and that I'm not schizophrenic?
>>
>>30742715
Maybe. Depends on who your recruiter is. You wont know until you try.
>>
AT1 O level with 9 years P-3/EP-3 experience and about to do an Embassy Tour. I'll be around if questions.
>>
>>30742916
What ship type would you recommend choosing? Amphibs, small boys, carriers? I didn't know the Navy had embassy doody too, do Officers have that chance too?
>>
>>30742916
E-5 + can all do Embassy in different roles. Also never done ship duty so couldn't tell you.
>>
Hey fellas, I kinda want to be a Green Beret. Is this a good idea or should I be something else instead?
>>
>>30743046
Think about what attracts you to it and what you can do to achieve it. Look at the physical requirements. Ask a recruiter what the physical requirements are, what you should be running and in what times.

I'll say this though, if you are a civilian then you might not even like soldiering yet. Only one way to find out.
>>
>>30743046
Firstly. You need to know what the actual role of the Green Berets are. It's not necessarily Direct Action. It's primarily training foreign fighters and helping them fight.
>>
Former infantry Marine, firearms instructor, and current PMC here if anyone has questions about any of those things or more specific to /meg/ things to do during your enlistment to help with those things.
>>
>>30743208
why do girls smell nice and have soft hair
>>
>>30743317
Not the pmc guy but they produce estrogen and progesterone hormones while we produce testosterone. It makes a huge difference.
>>
>>30743317
Sometimes boys smell nice and have nice hair...

What you really wanna know is why do vaginas feel so right?
>>
File: 1468432727761.jpg (46KB, 360x437px) Image search: [Google]
1468432727761.jpg
46KB, 360x437px
Any current/former Nukes lurking?

I want to know about the day-to-day life of a Nuke when deployed and in port.
>>
>>30743208
Is the market for PMCs as absolutely saturated as I am led to believe?
>>
>>30743457

I would unfortunately say yes. I would say it was when I first got out of the military and started (2010). Now it is even more saturated AND much harder to get the necessary combat experience in the military (I don't mean necessary as in for skills and such, I mean that it is literally necessary to have documented combat/"high threat" experience when getting through the hiring process).

Companies also always call back previous employees when looking to fill spots. That's exactly what I am going through right now; I took a year off and went back to school for a bit and now my previous company has asked if I'd like to return, which I do, so I get "first dibs" you could say.

This is speaking form the 'shooter' side of things by the way; I have no idea about saturation for things like intel, comms, IT, etc. contracts.

That being said I would absolutely not just throw in the towel. When I was in the military all I heard (remember, I was just a regular infantryman) was 'They only want fucking ninja, SEAL, delta, power ranger, voltran, jedi operators bro that's all they hire blah blah blah!' (I'm sure you have heard this as well) so I just shut up, ignored all of these people, did my paperwork, applied all over the place, and got a gig (Eventually. This is not a fast process.) because I wanted to be a PMC very, very badly as soon as I heard about them and then saw them in person in Afghanistan.
>>
>>30742372
29 yeah old with high school completed but no college or university. I am seriously considering joining the Canadian army reserve forces, but I am concerned my age will be an issue. Would anyone here have any advice for me?
>>
>>30743701

American here but do you mean an issue with enlistment or a social/personal/physical/etc. issue once you are in?

Because the former should be easily found out via the recruiting website.
>>
Deployed 11b here

I will answer questions for a bit
>>
>>30742372
I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. I have a slight heart murmur, but I don't take any medication and have not complications or symptoms from it. It is checked every 2 years by a cardiologist.

Could I be turned down by the army or air force?
Could I be turned down by military schools like west point or the air force academy?
>>
>>30743780
Yo, I'm >>30742423
I don't suppose you can give any insider scoop on how soon some infantry slots will open?
>>
>>30743809
If you settle for 19D you're a faggot. Faggot.

Anyway, slots are random but when they come, there's like 50 of them. Check with the recruiting office daily, and I mean literally daily. Just have your recruiter see if any slots are open, have them call you if one opens. They can reserve one for you before you enlist.

I picked my slot in May, went to OSUT in August, and graduated December.
>>
A rando infantryman won't know when new slots hit, anon.

Infantry is a big MOS, even when they're really full there's new slots all the time just due to regular attrition.
>>
>>30743846
>If you settle for 19D you're a faggot. Faggot.
Why do you say that? They see combat too, don't they?
>>
Currently stationed OCONUS, 2 years in sevice, willing to answer any questions.
>>
>>30743867
Stop asking about 19D, holy fuck.

They drive around, get into a TIC or find some bad guys, either call for fire, or call the infantry to come fucking kill the enemy.

They're fucking pieces of shits and the red headed stepchild of the army. In comparison to the infantry it's like a fucking AIDS ridden hobo next to the fucking president himself K? K.
>>
>>30743855
Hey, maybe he knows a squad that just got wiped out or something.
>>
>>30743923
Hilarious, but not at all how it works. It isn't 1:1 replacement based off casualties. The vast majority of infantrymen are lost due to getting the fuck out as soon as they can.
>>
>>30742396
Early Sept?
>>
>>30744312
September 6th.
>>
>>30744357
You won't start training till like Sept 17 lol

30th AG will fucking suck, but it won't be too bad - you'll get a sunburn while you're there. Once you get your ACU's you'll be good. Whatever you do, do not quit at 30th AG or you will be stuck there as a house mouse for MONTHS.

I started Red Phase Sept 11th with Charlie 2-19 and it wasn't too bad being at Benning then. But you'll have some SHIT days on the PT field doing the fucking prone row in 2 inches of cold water.
>>
>>30744397
I'm just concerned about the PT. I have 42 days until I get there. I can't pass the entry PFA. My only problem is pushups. I'm at 7 I need to be at 17. Pretty sure I'm going to be a Private Pyle.
>>
>>30744397
Also. I'm doing OSUT for 16 weeks. I'm gonna go through Christmas Exodus. I'd imagine you did too. How do I not get held back from Exodus? Should I go home? If I don't will I get to relax in the barracks for the most part and eat decent food?
>>
>>30744465
Nah man, don't worry. We had a guy we called Laptop who failed every part of the 30th AG APFT, which is like a quick fucking 1 mile run, a pullup, and a couple pushups / situps. He obviously made it through with us.

My first APFT in Red Phase I did 13 pushups, man. They don't give a fuck about any of the PFT's unless you really suck. On my best one I scored a 279 - 67 pushups, 69 situps, and a 13:14 run. I worked my ass off for it, doing 200 pushups a night during free time.

That being said some dudes graduated that didn't deserve it. One kid named Shane did 13 pushups on his final PFT but they gave him 42, one guy named Taylor did 7 situps on his final PFT but they gave him 56 or some shit. In the first few PFT's you need like 60% each event, in the final 2 I believe it is you need 80%.

>>30744508
I graduated December 16th, a couple days before Exodus lol. You ought to stay there during Exodus, save the leave days. Pretty sure you'll go to the nice ass Airborne Holdover barracks up by Honor Hill.
>>
>>30744536
>13:14 run.
>mile

Did you run it backward?
>>
>>30744560
The final APFT is a 2 mile run.

>>30744536
Thanks a lot!
>>
>>30742455
2nding this, you will want to kill yourself everyday.
>>30743451
99% of the time you shouldnt go nuke, why do you want it
>>
>>30744572
Sad thing is, my best one was 2nd to last!

Before the last APFT they smoked the dog shit out of us, and it was fucking freezing. Everyone suffered, the company lost about 10 300'ers. I ended up going to my unit with a 240 PT score, and livid as hell.
>>
>>30744666
Nice Trips Satan.
>>
I'm complete shit at running. I know a ~14:30 minute 1.5-mile is fucking awful in general, but is that even remotely acceptable going in to Air Force BMT, or is it way too optimistic to believe that I could cut 2:30 minutes off that time in 8 weeks?
>>
What's living in the barracks like? Is it like an apartment where you have your own bedroom but share a living room, or more like a college dorm where you share a single room with a dude? Do you have access to a kitchen, or is cooking not an option, and you have to rely on the mess hall and restaurants?
>>
>>30744933

Depends on the barracks. They range from one giant room with a row of bunk beds all the way up to decent little apartments with a washer/dryer and kitchenette.

Most barracks are somewhere in the middle though. Bed/wall locker and a bit of personal space attached to a common area and bathroom you'll share within another dude. A cooking area and laundry room shared by the entire floor. Age and quality of facilities vary greatly.
>>
>>30745256
Well shit, that middle range ain't bad. My grandparents were asking about if I planned on getting an apartment when I could once I enlist, and it got me thinking about what the living conditions on base are like. I could live like that through my whole service though, save that money for when I get out.
>>
File: 1467760595204.jpg (166KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1467760595204.jpg
166KB, 1920x1080px
>>30744600
Nuclear power plant near my hometown. I'd like to enlist, do 6, get out, and work there as an operator/technician.

I'm specifically asking nukes for information because I don't want the "hurt durr nuke is dumb" meme response every non-nuke reflexively spits at me.
>>
>>30745298
depends on what branch..... Air Force has fucking apartments with wifi and a kitchen while the Marines are stacked liked sardines.
>>
>>30745375
Army
>>
>>30745390
Depends on where you go. I'm on Fort Hood and my unit has relatively new barracks. I like the way they're set up and the general security of them, but soldiers are fucking nasty. My roommate took a shit in the bathtub when he got drunk one night, that fucking killed it for me. 90% of the rooms have fridges that don't work and 100% of the rooms have broken / shitty AC. You get a fridge/freezer, a stove, and a microwave. It's all one room in that barracks. In the older barracks you live alone and have a pantry however you share a common area with the same stuff listed above. I would prefer to have that kind of place. Laundry is built into the buildings which is nice and you can end up with a good nab, like some Gen4 IOTV I saw one day - but did not steal.

All in all it varies especially by post and unit.
>>
>>30745298

You won't usually get BAH in the Army until you're E-6 or married. By then you will almost certainly hate living in the barracks enough to want to move out immediately.
>>
>>30745375
Navies hit or miss. Been in places where it was a split 5 guys to room (fit up to 6) with community floor bathroom, places were 2 to a room with split bathroom/shower between 2 rooms, one to a room with the split bath/shower. All places had communal laundry. Then you got places like Sigonella where it's an open kitchenette/bathroom/shower with 2 split single rooms.

It all varies greatly, know that staying in barracks normally nets you less money overall as you don't get BAH and normally reduced BAS (expected to eat at Galley/Chow Hall/DFAC). Most importantly though you get treated like a child if you still live in the barracks, room inspections, may or may not have alcohol, other retards ruining shit for you, if ANYTHING is required at work you are first called before people who live off base due to ease of you living on base.

In general, Barracks life while "not bad", blows.
>>
>>30742372 (OP)
I was born with a bicuspid aortic valve. I have a slight heart murmur, but I don't take any medication and have not complications or symptoms from it. It is checked every 2 years by a cardiologist.

Could I be turned down by the army or air force?
Could I be turned down by military schools like west point or the air force academy?

Posting this again because it's important
>>
>>30745614
Could you be? Yes
Could you be? Yes

Going to MEPS is a long and drawn out process for a reason. Your heart murmur will show up on paperwork and if your evaluating doctor says no, its a no. However, they could approve you - you never know until you attempt to enlist and figure out for yourself.
>>
>>30745703
here's a wild idea

ASK
A
FUCKING
RECRUITER
>>
>>30745300
Well look in your exact situation is the only instance id would say its ok to enlist as one then. The reason 99% of the time we recommend not going nuke is cause most people enlisting are either getting forced into it by their recruiter or they just want a challenging/intellectually stimulating rate so they think nuke is a good choice. For those 2 reasons its dead wrong. In your case its not a bad idea. Its gonna be tough as all hell so i hope you realize that and it will probably suck very badly at times but if you stay focused on getting out in 6 youll make it. Also if you only want semi suck go carrier but if you want full on fuck my ass raw suckage go subs.
>>30745555
Semi true, are you basing this off of being on shore duty and living in barracks? While i was at sea barracks rooms stunk but were a god send so i didnt have to live on the ship. And we werent eligible for BAH or BAS yet since we were e-3s anyway.
>>
File: 1443721119361.jpg (6KB, 147x160px) Image search: [Google]
1443721119361.jpg
6KB, 147x160px
>meps this Tuesday and Wednesday
>don't know what jobs are going to be available
>don't know if recruiter is actually serious about helping me get into the field I want

If I do in the 90+ range on the asvab, say I don't need any enlistment bonus, promise to sign up for six years, and volunteer for submarine and air duty, will they take that as a bargaining chip to let me take the rate I want?
>>
>>30746400
What rate are you trying to get? Navy right?
>>
>>30746453
Anything in CT
>>
>>30746472
Well 99% of CTs will never see a sub or air duty of any kind so you might wanan understand that first off. Also sub life sucks ass so you wouldnt wanna be there anyway. 2nd dont be a cuck, if they wanted to give you a bonus why would you turn that down? Listen just tell them you want a CT rate and thats that. If they jerk you around tell em youre leaving end of story. CT rates, especially CTN, are usually undermanned. You should have no prob getting a rate unless you have problems getting s TS clearance. Be firm, tell em CT or bust.
>>
>>30746530
>if they wanted to give you a bonus why would you turn that down?
Anything to increase my chances. I'm looking to do roughly eight years in the navy in a cryptology field, and find employment later in a three letter agency. Meanwhile, I want to go around the world in deployments to slay poon of all colors and creeds.
CTN doesn't usually deploy it seems.
If I fail at MEPS and cant secure a CT, I'll have to tell them I'll go over to the Army instead for a 35x field.
>>
>>30746584
>If I fail at MEPS and cant secure a CT
Theres no reason they would turn you down, and its true CTNs dont really deploy but you could be stationed at a base overseas. Id still go with CTN cause its the best intel rate in all the military. But if you actually want to be on a ship then go CTR.
>>
>>30746619
CTR is what I'm really aiming for, just for the chance of being on a ship. The reason I'd take any CT and not hold anything back isn't just because of this meps thing here, and the bluff I intend to make with the Army 35x MOS, but because my parents are Jehovah witnesses, so as soon as they find anything out about what I'm doing, I'm out of the house and they'll most likely not talk to me again. So I'm really taking a massive gamble in my future from this point onwards. I don't want to mess anything up.
I'm almost at the cutoff point for enlistment, I'm 23, so that's probably why my recruiter isn't that interested in doing all he can for me. Most likely he'll call my bluff if he is there with me during job selection, which I hope he isn't, although he is the one that will drive me to MEPS a few hours away, and doesn't care if I go PACT or Nuke as long as I sign on the line.
Deep down I think he does mean well, and probably doesn't think there is any difference in jobs taken as long as I take one, I'll be better off than I am now anyways.

I'm not so sure about the CT rates being undermanned either, considering that every time I check on rebbit, those are the only rates those guys are going for. But that may be just because everyone is a dork there. I have no idea what the actual most aimed for jobs are.
>>
>>30746688
>I'm almost at the cutoff point for enlistment, I'm 23
what??? When i went in the cutoff was fucking 35. Wahts it at now?

>I have no idea what the actual most aimed for jobs are.
Shit ones, most people are really sstupid and just sign the line for whatever they are offered.

>I'm not so sure about the CT rates being undermanned either,
http://www.public.navy.mil/bupers-npc/enlisted/community/crypto_it/Pages/CTR.aspx
Ctr is normal, but CTN is like 85%.
>>
What's the path to becoming a 75th Ranger Regiment Infantry Officer (11A)?
>>
>>30742498
There are more jobs than your recruiter is showing you. I was being a real PITA with mine. There were several MOS's I wanted, none on my list. After awhile he got tired of my shit. He saw a job I wanted on someone else's list, called some place I forget the name of, a tired old man answered and thirty seconds later I got one of the jobs I wanted. You just need to be persistent.

I'm not sure why they do it the way they do. Seems odd to me that two people with similar asvab scores and educational backgrounds have two different initial job listings to choose from.
>>
File: 1464379243837.jpg (162KB, 1280x931px) Image search: [Google]
1464379243837.jpg
162KB, 1280x931px
When you get out of the military, what is the difference in how you see the world? Like, I know that they teach you how to scan for potential threats and dangerous people, is it really like how they portray it in the movies, where the combat vets will be scanning the room and the people in it for dangers? If so, what kind of things do you look for? What goes through your head when you do so?
>>
File: rogrsarnt.jpg (125KB, 713x934px) Image search: [Google]
rogrsarnt.jpg
125KB, 713x934px
>>30744933
lol

>pic related
>>
68W here if anybody has questions.
>>
File: 1463428140316.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1463428140316.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
Out of MI, Cyber, and Signal which branch is generally likely to be the most physically active and have the most opportunities as an officer?
>>
>>30747354
That's not how it worked.
It might have been how he implied to you that it works, but that isn't at all how it is. He just called ROC. ROC sees slots open up when people cancel, and can notify inquiring recruiters of those openings before they're put back into the system.
Anyone can ask their recruiter to call the ROC, but they can't just do it every time they're asked to, or the ROC stops answering when they call. Recruiters have to sweet talk them some times.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1469245532441.jpg (47KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1469245532441.jpg
47KB, 640x640px
I leave in 6 days to Benning for army basic. I'm BARELT at 35 pushups and BARELY at 30 situps. My 1 mile is 8:00 right now. Will I be alright?
>>
>>30742372
Can I bring my high school ID to MEPS? I applied for a state ID but it comes in a couple of weeks in the mail.(I go to MEPS this week) My recruiter says it should be fine but I'm kinda worried about this.
>>
>>30749541
You will be fine, keep at it and focus on your situps and run.
>>
File: 1469155022526.png (540KB, 614x672px) Image search: [Google]
1469155022526.png
540KB, 614x672px
>>30749702
Thanks for the encouragement, appreciate it.
>>
What is life like for single soldiers? The redpilled version please.
>>
>>30742396
Designated marksman isn't really 'real' unless on deployment.

In garrison you may go to a short week long course going over each rifle you may use (M4, M14, M110 usually, some M2010), each optic (Leupold, thermal, night, etc.), how to range estimate, windage and elevation, etc.

Basic precision/long range stuff.

But when you do livefires in training you'll only get to use an M4 with an ACOG at worst for optic, or best a 4-12x etc.

If you get into your battalions LRS/scout(not cavscout)/sniper sections you'll get to use your cool toys more often in garrison.

Deployed you'll see all the toys pulled out.
>>
File: 1462299832027.png (42KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
1462299832027.png
42KB, 500x322px
What security clearance is required to become an officer? top secret?

When do they administer the check? Before or after I sign on the dot?

Do they backlog anything from the initial recruiter?
>>
check
>>
File: 1443738559708.jpg (68KB, 350x258px) Image search: [Google]
1443738559708.jpg
68KB, 350x258px
>>30749702
>focus on your situps and run.
I have to do situps and running at meps?!
I didn't practice at all, I thought that was for boot

I can only do around 10 pullups in one go, or 20 pushups in one go, and I'm probably not a really good runner.
>>
>>30750709
>10 pullups in one go, or 20 pushups
???
That doesnt make sense, 10 pullups are way harder to do than 20 pushups.
>>
>>30749489

Probably MI, because you're most likely to get branch detailed. None of those branches are really very outdoorsy on their own. No idea what you mean about opportunities though.
>>
>>30749871
Just secret for officer. You will apply for it when you join but the whole process takes at least a few months so you don't generally know if you got your clearance until after basic.
>>
>>30750747
I'm only 140lbs and I rarely do pushups. Those are just my numbers from getting started practicing yesterday in advance for boot.
>>
Whats the best job involved with armored vehicles? I want to join but cant decide between tanks/IFVs/APCs etc
>>
>>30749757
Getting drunk and fucking fat chicks before getting one pregnant and then marrying her so you don't have live on base. Also taking out a loan to buy a brand new mustang day one out of basic.
>>
>>30750709
Hey I remember you...
>>
>>30751095
Harsh
>>
>>30751095
Is there much boy pussy? I mean, don't ask don't tell was repealed, right?
>>
>>30743451
>in port
>7am turnover if duty day (usually every 3 days, that includes weekends)
>8am divisional muster otherwise
>divisional/departmental/shipwide training, 1 hour usually
>maintenance, dailies/weeklies/monthlies/etc, needs to be coordinated via EDO/SDO to avoid conflict with other divisional maintenance
>cleaning, 30 or 60 min per day, 3-4 hrs if friday morning
>11am lunch
>liberty "when the work's done" (it's never done), seems fucking random (i've left really fucking early and stayed really fucking late but the average is like 2-4pm), but usually day-after-duty people have priority
>5pm dinner
>duty section sleeps onboard, may have midwatch from 11pm-3am
>5am reveille
>repeat
>>
>>30751767
>underway
>usually have to start-up at like 4 inna fuckin morning
>maneuvering for an hour or two
>dive

>6 hrs of watch
>6 hrs of maintenance/training/drills/qualls/cleaning/movies/vidya (those last two are if you're done with everything else)
>6 hrs of sleep
>repeat 18-hour cycle à la groundhog day until you pull in somewhere and attempt to drink yourself into a coma
>>
File: MG42-3.jpg (242KB, 1222x604px) Image search: [Google]
MG42-3.jpg
242KB, 1222x604px
im going to nylands brigad wich is finnish marines basically, anyone know how i can prepare to enjoy the suck
>>
>>30751767
>>30751797
Forgot to specify these are on a fast-attack sub. Boomer life is very different (and they seem happier), carrier life even moreso.
>>
>>30743624
Do they only hire infantrymen? I'm a Marine Tanker and I'm interested in that shit. I know another tanker who got in but only because he had EMT training, he tells some pretty wild stories
>>
Just got off the phone with my recruiter, she reserved me an 11X slot. Just waiting on my background check to come through, then I'm off to MEPS!
>>
File: 1459050970336.png (2MB, 956x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1459050970336.png
2MB, 956x1200px
>>30747983
plz respond
>>
>>30753653
that muhreen probably fully indents to rape that child
>>
>>30752081
Make her get you an 18x contract, then report to us.
>>
File: US_SF_in_Afghanistan_v3.jpg (83KB, 1024x709px) Image search: [Google]
US_SF_in_Afghanistan_v3.jpg
83KB, 1024x709px
Have any of you guys finished a deployment without ever getting a shitty tattoo?

Also, pls respond
>>30747046
>>
>>30747046

Anon, I'm not sure if you truly comprehend the magnificence of the man whose picture you've posted.

But I digress. You start off by becoming a normal infantry officer, and you have to be really, REALLY good at your job. Only the best platoon leaders are going to get another platoon in the 75th.
>>
>>30752081
>reserved a 11x slot
lol don't need reserve that shit it's open 24/7/365
>her
she's going to fuck something up paperwork wise

READ EVERY FUCKING PAPER SHE HANDS YOU TO SIGN
>>
>>30753778

I don't think they're doing 18X right now.
>>
>>30749541
>benning
>in fucking August

Goodnight sweet prince, I hope to christ you're not from a dry heat state because the humidity is going to fuck you harder than uncle sam
>>
Going to MEPS in Atlanta this Wendsday (day after my 22nd birthday,) then I ship out for 11X OSUT August 23rd. I'm so hyped!
>>
So I wanted to sign up for the Navy. My meps appointment is tomorrow. My recruiter called me today to make sure I was on for it, since meps is hours and hours away.
He told me to just take any job and he can't control what's available at meps. I don't want to waste his time, I haven taken my asvab yet but I had pretty high score on the Afqt.
All I wanted was something to do with electronics, preferably CT. He told me again that I should just take anything. I'm sorry, but I can't do that. I'm not going to gamble away 4-6 years of my life. I'm sorry they had so much paperwork ready for me, but a week or two of inconvenience to them is not worth the sum it will be to me.
I'm just going to call him when I get off work and tell him that. It's total bullshit how they recruit for this, and its really turned me off of the idea.
The Navy isn't the fucking Marines, your rate comes first in the Navy before being a sailor. If they don't like that, don't advertise career options on the website.
I guess I won't be enlisting after all, I'll just stay civilian.
>>
>>30753978
Well he is right about him not being able to get you a certain job but don't enlist for a shit job because that's all they had or you're going to hate life

If you go and they have shitty rates open then ask when the next class opens for whichever rate you want and just dep till you can ship out
>>
How taboo is it to enter a recruiting office without prior notice?

I tried to email an AF recruiter and he didn't respond. I then called the number of the recruiting office (found on google), but the line was out of service.

Should I keep trying to contact recruiters or just walk in?
>>
>>30754031
I can do that? Just tell them I'll sign for DEP? I thought that was a bad thing to do, since you'd need a placeholder rate and if you drop out of DEP you could get blacklisted.
My recruiter is pushing me nuke or undesignated, and the rate inventory on those pages that get linked here all show inventories stocked sky high where it's impossible to get into pretty much anything. Ctr for example, shows at something like 180% inventory for fy16 and fy17
>>
>>30754162
It's better to go in and introduce yourself in person than to do it over email or telephone. They want to see you face to face.
>>
>>30754162
Walk in.
>>
Deployed 11b, will answer questions for a while
>>
My mom told me she has an allergist record of me being allergic to shellfish. I wrote I had no allergies on the sheets, and i have meps tomorrow....
Do I call my recruiter and tell him that, or wait till meps? I remember the question only asking about chicken or peanuts.
>>
What MOS gets assigned the most guard duty?

I want to join the military, army specifically, but I'm also relatively lazy. In shape, just lazy.

I imagine it would be an MP, right? But do infantry ever get assigned guard duty at bases and such?
>>
File: 1469167521709.png (30KB, 645x773px) Image search: [Google]
1469167521709.png
30KB, 645x773px
>>30754636
How bad is Benning for basic
>>
>>30754980
Go Air Force and get in security forces

Pretty much guaranteed doing nothing except guarding a base or gate
>>
>>30754980
If you want to sit on your ass and check ID's at the gates then MP sounds perfect for you. Or air force security forces if you want to sit around at a nuclear silo or airfield in the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>30755013
Mostly depends on when you go and what company / drill SGTs you are assigned to. I was there from Aug 31st (Started training Sept 11), to Dec 16 and it started warm but ended up cold as fuck toward the end. Banana spiders, Brown Recluses, snakes, BUGS everywhere. I'm going back to Benning in April for Ranger school.

>>30754980
This varies because in garrison, you'll find everything from POGs to civilians, to MPs, to Infantry guarding the gates. On deployment Infantry dudes will run the towers unless it's a base-wise defense - heard a female check in on one of the towers.

It mostly depends on unit mission.
>>
File: 1010 meme.png (412KB, 539x717px) Image search: [Google]
1010 meme.png
412KB, 539x717px
>ask online navy recruiter questions
>he gives me short answers, guy is probably chatting to like 50 other people at once.
>asked him all my trouble questions.
>Email the chat to myself using the Email button on the chat page, to have a log sent directly from the navy to my email confirming that a recruiter did in fact tell me this.

Solid.
If they give me any shit at meps, I can tell them I was told directly by the recruiter X, Y and Z, and I have the logs to prove it, emailed to me from their own website.

Much better than dealing with stuff face to face with a regular recruiter.
>>
File: derp.jpg (44KB, 650x363px) Image search: [Google]
derp.jpg
44KB, 650x363px
>>30755148
>>
>>30755168
Sure it does.
Normally the "recruiter lied to me" thing doesn't work, because if he did lie to you, it wasn't recorded.
>>
>>30755148
Sorry captain autismo, chatlogs probably won't save you. Sooner or later you're going to have to deal with someone face to face and that's what will count.

What exactly are you trying to dodge?
>>
So I doubt that this is something people here would know but what the hell.

I want to be on a swat team. How the hell do you make that happen? Do you just work your way up from being a regular donut wrangler or what? What about getting onto FBI HRT?
>>
>>30755205
If I can drop from DEP with no consequences, and a shellfish allergy.

My older question was >>30754892

From my memory that was an acid reflux problem, but she's telling me its shellfish.
>>
File: kbro.jpg (43KB, 600x657px) Image search: [Google]
kbro.jpg
43KB, 600x657px
>>30755193
You don't understand anything about the process, you might be too autistic to teach.

>>30755215
>go into the military as an MP
>go to SRT school
>get hired by DoD / FBI / LE
>???
>profit
>>
>>30755226
Dropping from DEP is non punitive.
>>
File: image.jpg (34KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
34KB, 680x383px
>be me
>want to be 0311 in muhreens
>will never be able to join because of self harm scars, depression and pot use in teen years
>will never be able to get security clearance
>mfw
>>
Anyone have any experience with 35 series MOS?

I plan on going enlisted after I get my bachelors (tfw not stem major). I would like to go into Federal law enforcement afterwards, and military intelligence seems really useful.
>>
>>30755552
No experience with it personally, but my LT was enlisted-side geospatial intel for 7 years. He never saw the field once, never deployed. Just watched ISR feeds and gathered intel on things from 9-5.

If you want a Top Secret clearance you're gonna have to be in for a minute and have an important job. Everyone gets a Secret clearance so that's at least a plus and the LE agency will appreciate not having to pay for one.

Hopefully a 35 series dude comes, but momentary satisfaction + other viewpoints can always be appreciated.
>>
>>30755552

If you stay in beyond one enlistment, look at 35L.
>>
Talked to my recruiter and he told me shellfish doesn't matter, he has it too.
>>
>>30755597

Top Secret is mandatory for every 35-series MOS, even as an E-1. You need an interim TS just go to to AIT in most cases, since the schoolhouses are classified environments.
>>
>>30755646
holy fuark man, I did not know this. That must make 35 series fucking tiny. The process of going through TS clearance is retarded.
>>
>>30755541
>pot use
Not an issue as long as you pass the drug tests. Unless you want a medical job in which case you are disqualified for life.

Former pot user, now 11X DEPer.
>>
>>30755646
>>30755675

What's this mean if I'm trying to enlist in that MOS series?
>>
>>30755733
Did you tell the recruiter and they just didn't give a fuck or did you just shut up about it?
>>
>>30755787
Means you have a fat chance of making it lol.

Have you taken the ASVAB and, do you have any past issues or records that will potentially fuck you over? They will find out.
>>
>>30742372
This one may be a hard one to help with.

I want to become a 73B in the Army in a couple of years after I graduate and become Dr Anon. What would I end up having to do for training? What kind of dosh could I expect and what sort of upwards mobility would there be? I mean, I was hoping just to do the smallest term I could so I could get the experience, but I am not opposed to making a career out of it. Also don't mind deploying.
>>
>>30755810
Totally clean record. I took the ASVAB back in high school and did pretty well on it, but that was awhile back I've got to take it again if I enlist.

If I've got a spotless record, have a political science degree, and do solid on the ASVAB, do I have reasonably good odds?
>>
>>30755793
I told the recruiters and I told them at MEPS and when I went to MEPS I had only quit smoking a month and a half to two months prior and that was going from smoking several times a week. The fact that I passed the drug test was pretty clutch. That's the Army though. Marines may be more stringent.
>>
While I'm waiting for my board to meet, I thought I'd look into some other options if (when) they reject me. Jesus, applying to become a cop in MA is a pain in the ass. 100 dollars to take the civil servant exam, another 150 to get your physical taken if you're offered a job somewhere. And I'll likely fail anyway since I'm color blind. Any other states I should look into or should I bite the bullet and try here? Is it easier to get hired to a small town or big city?
>>
>>30755866
Sounds good to me man, but I'm not THAT keen on it. From what I know about TS clearance is that it's a pain in the dick - the govt literally flies people to any 9 people you name off no matter where the fuck they are, and interviews them. They dig deep into your records, associates, etc. ontop of this they will ask you some weird shit during the actual interview. It's a drawn-out process.
I had a chat with a javelin missile mechanic with a TS clearance and he said it was a fucking pain. You get it right? It's a pain in the dick, but if you get it in the army it means that whatever agency you work for doesn't have to pay for it themselves and they'll be happy to take you.

I work with civilian DoD intelligence contractors here in Afghanistan right now and they work with SF the majority of the time and all of them have been 35 series.
>>
>>30751767
>>30751797
>>30751994
Duty you had duty every 3 days even stateside???
Bro thats suicide tier.
>>30753900
Why?
>>30753978
>>30754253
Just hold out for CT. You can still enlist you be real with your recruiter.
>>
File: image.jpg (55KB, 737x486px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55KB, 737x486px
>>30755793
I told the recruiter and she said "just pot,
Nothing else?" I said ya, and she asked if I'd (you'd) be able to piss clean right now? I said "ya. I haven't smoked in years." she said ok that's fine and flipped the page on that book she has looking at to see what applied to me and just told me to continue answering questions. We talked for a little more after that and she said I'd be an excellent candidate if I drop a bit of weight and even told me to consider not going 0311 since I did decently well on my asvab I took in HS.

>had long sleeves one so edge scars were covered
>didn't say anything about depression

Meh fuck it. I don't think I could hack basic anyway.
>>
>>30755968
>Meh fuck it. I don't think I could hack basic anyway.

Won't know until you try
>>
>>30755968
>Meh fuck it. I don't think I could hack basic anyway.

It's designed so that the average person can do it.
>>
File: 1429156755548.jpg (117KB, 800x524px) Image search: [Google]
1429156755548.jpg
117KB, 800x524px
>ASVAB tomorrow
>haven't studied
Will I do good? AFQT was 84
>>
>>30755968
This was made for you.
>>
>>30756042
Forgot link
https://youtu.be/O-GUfYBr8v8
>>
>>30756015
Dude it doesn't fucking matter that much. If you're trying to go nuke yeah go ahead aim for 90's. I'm telling you, I scored a 75 with a 118 GT score and I had 40+ jobs. They'll ask you your GT score at your unit to gauge how dumb you might be. It's just a 3 hour test with some stupid anti-terrorism bullshit at the ass end of it.

The more jobs you get, the better you did. Tada.
>>
File: 1451001110233.jpg (449KB, 1210x1528px) Image search: [Google]
1451001110233.jpg
449KB, 1210x1528px
>>30756015
She is so gross. Look at that gross up-shorts.

>Pic related example of cute girl
>>
>>30742372
How do I get a cool nickname at basic?
>>
File: 1469339788187.gif (641KB, 400x502px) Image search: [Google]
1469339788187.gif
641KB, 400x502px
>>30756062
Ok.
I'm a worrywart, generally I keep to myself and don't show it. But this is a big step in life and I want to ask every question I can. I think I've worried my recruiter a bit with it. He's a cool guy though.

>>30756150
You have sh*t taste
>>
>>30756162
You don't. You get terrible nicknames if you get a nickname at all. Plus your unit when you are actually assigned to one will probably give you a nickname if they even do.
>>
>>30756162
My nickname was gumguzzler, because I chewed a lot of gum. I asked them what It meant and they laughed me, asked if I knew what gum was, and I said of course I knew, I'm chewing it now.
>>
>>30756166
I was in the office about 3 days a week asking questions, demanding answers, and figuring out everything I could.

As far as OSUT / BCT goes, 3 rules will get you through - and these 3 rules will work for the entire time you're in the army.It's more of a mind game and doing every single thing you are told from 3 count smoking sessions to doing exactly what a drill sgt says to do. Otherwise you can end up on the shitty end of their list.

1. Always shave your face and be in the proper uniform
2. Always be on time
3. Never tell the army no

Congratulations, you now know the biggest secret about not being a shitbag.

>>30756162
Have a dumb last name, do something dumb, be dumb. stand out (this is a bad thing)

We had a guy who got an infection in his knuckle from punching someone - he was fight bite
Old man was a 35 year old dude
Patrick Star is literally named Patrick Star.
Fat Collins / Inferior Collins was fat and inferior to the superior one
Dobbie looked like Dobbie
etc.
That's it man.
>>
>>30756221
My name is hyphenated, will I get shit for it!?
I have work experience and I'm a hard worker, and I like helping people out so I think I'll be liked once I'm out actually with other guys.
>>
>>30756238
>My name is hyphenated
What do they even do in this situation? Will his name tape say "Johnson-Johanson?"
>>
>>30756264
That is what my recruiter said.
>>
>>30756238
I'll make sure your nickname is La-a, pronounce Ladasha.
>>
>>30756238

If you have a dumb name, it will be called out. If you make yourself out to be a tard, you will be that tard.

You really wanna prove yourself to the Joes, let everyone know you wanna be the 240 gunner, Be in charge of the map and plot points correctly. Be a good shot. Don't fuck up your PT tests or at least get better. Don't slack, ever - the joes and the drill Sgts will notice it.

I don't even know what MOS you're going so it's going to vary how much and how severe your training will actually be.

>>30756264
There's a guy named Lamb-Lewis in my company.
>>
>>30756304
>If you have a dumb name, it will be called out

My name is rare and hard to pronounce (French in origin). Will I get shit? Will they just pronounce it how they want and should I correct them?
>>
>>30756380
Yes. Make sure they DO NOT fuck up your name. Don't let them treat you like a little bitch. Don't be afraid to yell back, hell threaten to hit them. This will gain you respecr
>>
>>30756380
>>30756439
Infact, you should crack jokes about their last name to get even with them

Or just stop asking autistic questions.
>>
>>30755541
>>30755968
You prob won't be able to do some jobs, but that's not an excuse. 0311 doesn't require much more than the most basic clearance, so don't worry about that. Depending how deep the scars are, you can fade them / make them look like something else. Take something abrasive and use it to "rub out" the scars. It won't happen over night, but it can be done in a few months. Get some coconut oil or something like that to rub on them after each session.
>>
So what's the deal with the gold rank in pic related?
>>
File: a28.jpg (32KB, 480x454px) Image search: [Google]
a28.jpg
32KB, 480x454px
>>30757243
w-what is it really though
>>
Alright, forgive me if I come across as dumb or ignorant, but I just really need some advice. I'm currently 21 and enrolled in University. I recently had to take a semester off though since I couldn't afford to attend and although I've planned on going back in the Fall my finances are still pretty unstable. As such I'm looking into serving in the military for some time and finishing my degree in the future when I'm more stable. I talked with an Army recruiter today in person and plan on talking to an Air Force one later this week. The advice I need is regarding the Army, and whether or not I should even consider it. The recruiter was nice enough and answered all my questions, but I know that's what he's trained to do. All my family and friends (including a few who have served in different branches of the military) tried to dissuade me from it. So for someone with below average physical strength, slightly above average intelligence, and a general interest in tech (looking at maybe IT or Satellite systems in the Army) is the Army as bad an idea as I've been told? Again, I apologize if this comes across as a dumb,vague question, I'm typing via stream of consciousness right now.
>>
File: 1469064497136.jpg (90KB, 476x476px) Image search: [Google]
1469064497136.jpg
90KB, 476x476px
>>30757243
Please explain. I really want to know as well.
>>
>>30755675

MI is one of the largest branches in the Army. Getting a clearance is a challenge, but one that many people are willing to jump through.
>>
>>30757297

The Army has more tech jobs than the Air Force because the Army is much bigger than the Air Force. Army promotes faster and has more flexibility and freedom when it comes to career choice.

The Air Force has better quality of life on average. That might not seem like much to balance out all of the above, but it sure feels like it when you're in the suck.
>>
I got a question, I'm enlisting in the army soon, and I'm deist, and I was wondering what my dog tags would say. Do they have the option to type in any religion now, or is there an "Other" option? If there's a finite list of options the tags can say for religious preference, I highly doubt deism will be on it.
>>
>>30757775

You can get them made to say whatever you want. Deist is fairly common compared to shit like Jedi.
>>
>>30757800
Holy shit, now I wish I told the recruiter I was a Jedi just to get that shit on my tags.
>>
>Tfw got Nuke at service selection
>start prepping for my interview in DC
>definitely not ready, 100% gonna fail
>CO pulls some strings and I get a pilot slot
>Tfw an O-6 cared enough about me to make my dreams come true
>Tfw hear nothing but bad things about Officers, but I've only ever met stellar ones
>>
>>30747983
>>30753653

The fact that you seem like a mall ninja is going through my head right now.
>>
Current 1A8x1. Anyone want 2 1/2-3 year tech school?
>>
>>30749757
Fucking sucks and the barracks will drain the life out of you. Prepare to be treated like a HILD.

>>30751174
Faggots all over the goddamn place. Fly your flag, son. My best friend (in the army) is gay. Lots of people are. It's not taboo anymore.
>>
>>30753978
Just trying to fuck with you. Get your ass to MEPS and get something CT on your contract. Never open option.

If you can't get electrotechnomumbojumbo, your recruiter will be pissed that you're not an easy mark, but he'll put you in again. Pull and release, boy.
>>
>>30754162
Walk right in, sit right down. Baby let your mind roll on. (Walk-ins are fine.)
>>
>>30754980
Go MP. It's kinda cool to start off duty days with combatives, but guard duty is plentiful and listless.
>>
>>30758194
sounds really appealing
>>
>>30755733
I've never understood this concept. Do a lot of smokers get caught or something? Of all the people I know who smoke, I've never known anyone to actually get charged. How else would they find out unless a bitch nigga admitted to it
>>
>>30758230
You sure about that?
I'm reading stories on reddit of people getting blacklisted from this shit for doing that.

>>30755952
I can try to hold out for CT or drop out of DEP I guess?
I'm hoping something is when I go. They seriously don't want to bother with me right now it seems, and I don't think the navy can secure a rate, at least not with recruiters.

How could a recruiter secure a rate anyways? I'm gonna plead with the detailer or whatever his fucking name is and hope I make a good enough impression that he'll help me out.
>>
>>30758310
My friend in Security Forces has told me how tons of people in his career field have gotten discharged because they smoke, and then get randomly tested.

In my own personal experiences, at Intel school, a lot of people admitted to smoking prior to their service during their polygraph, so they were immediately discharged. So make sure to let them know before you join, and then never do it again.
>>
>>30756380
Don't fucking correct them. Whatever they say, "Yes, that's right, Drill Sergeant." (Army)
>>
>>30757243
Marines use black ranks on the collar. Army uses gold ranks on the dress uniform. Same shape, different instances. He's a big dumb butt.
>>
>>30757297
If what you just said is all true, I recommend Air Force. Don't go Navy. All my friends and I had that same build/characteristic, and the AF ones are happiest with their job.
>>
>>30758323
I was the biggest, stupidest asshole with my recruiter. I was so completely lost in the sauce. If there was a blacklist, I'm on it. 2+ years in service, doing just fine now.

>>30758266
It is morally imperative that I explain to people how bad the bad really is. I enjoy being in the army, but my quality of life improved when I got married. My wife and dog are aight. Chaotic Good.

>>30758354
Ohhhh. You all had a polygraph? And you don't know how to beat one? Sucks. I didn't figure anyone who smoked once they got in actually wanted to keep a job.
>>
>>30755552
I went to language school with 35Ms and 35Ps. My 35M friends say that Ft. huachuca sucks, and to try to get into a good unit. Not sure how the army works, but apparently they don't have full units of the same job like the Air Force does, so my friend was put into an engineering unit, and he probably won't ever do anything he was trained to do.
>>
>>30758445
If you try to beat a polygraph asking if you have loyalties to another government, then you will be court martialed immediately.
>>
File: 1464070551440.jpg (35KB, 414x358px) Image search: [Google]
1464070551440.jpg
35KB, 414x358px
>MOS 40C Army Astronaut

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_United_States_Army_careers#Space_Operations_Functional_Area_.28FA_40.29

What do they mean by this?

Is it something I can just apply to? Seems pretty low key...
>>
>>30758354
>>30758310

I'm probably freaking out over nothing, but if I smoked one time early on in high school, will a polygraph fuck be from getting into intelligence?
>>
As someone with a 4 year degree (in biology, for whatever it's worth) do my options change at all from someone right out of high school? Is it by much? I've been interested in the military my whole life. A lot of people on my dad's side are/were in the military. My grandfather was a green beret even, so I think I have the bug
>>
>>30755050
DO NOT

do security forces

im in tech school for cyber stuff (not gonna disclose the AFSC) and most of the priors are security forces

they hated it

do something cool
>>
>>30758577
it's a "just in case" type MOS in case someone in the Army goes into the Astronaut program
>>
>>30758577

It's a "functional area", which means a specialized commissioned officer job that you can apply for later in your career.

Basically be a shit-hot field grade officer and apply for it. There's only been a few Army astronauts in the history of the program.

There's also the much more common 40A, which is a Space Operations Officer. These guys usually work at division level and above, or with Army space-related commands.

Enlisted soldiers can also attend space operations training and earn their space badge as Army space cadre, but it isn't an individual career field for enlisted.

In short: yeah, space jobs in the military are a real thing, and there's a few in every branch. Someone has to man the spaceports (there's only a few in the US) and look after the other space-related mission sets that the military holds.
>>
>>30758629

>muh AFSC is too secret for the internet.

k.
>>
>>30758599
Like I said, tell your recruiter before you join. They got discharged because they lied for like two years before that point. You're asked like fifty times if you had done drugs, as long as you're honest from the gitgo then you will have nothing to fear.
>>
>>30758649
So I could be an army astronaut? Fuck I chose the wrong branch
>>
>>30757863
>Tfw hear nothing but bad things about Officers
From enlisted and for a reason. Officers take care of their own clearly.
>>30758323
>I don't think the navy can secure a rate, at least not with recruiters.
Um they absolutely can. All they gotta do is call ahead and see whats available.They are probably mad cause of the long drive.
>>
>>30758610
The only difference is you can go officer. It all depends on your asvab score. Your college degree will only give you a higher rank upon joining. E-4 for Army, or E-3 for AF
>>
>>30758685
Pretty sure you can be an astronaut from any branch. I assume it is pilots that are chosen that have applicable College Degrees (applied sciences probably).
>>
>>30758723
but can I be a space operations officer. shieet
I'd rather work on the ground than be an astronaut not a fan of flying. Unless it was colonize another planet and be the governor or some shit. Or fight space buggers
>>
If I get my degree in mechie and enlist, can I go for 12A?
>>
>>30758743
You seem pretty dumb, so I doubt it, m8.
>>
>>30758762
nope. you have to comission
>>
>>30758691
>Um they absolutely can. All they gotta do is call ahead and see whats available.They are probably mad cause of the long drive.

My recruiter told me that he cant secure a job for me and that jobs in the navy change from day to day, and that I'm competing with everyone else in the US. Said the best I could do is to get a good ASVAB score and hope for the best.

To be honest, I'm second guessing myself so much I'm probably just not going to show up to boot camp if they don't change my rate to something I want before it starts and probably never enlist ever.
>>
>>30758796
hmmmm, why?
>>
>>30758784
kinda roode to be quite tbqh. I is gonna be a future officer
>>
>>30758701
So crush asvab and then my degree matters more? Just a guess, but is the asvab similar to the pelletb I had to take before even being considered for an interview to be a police officer? Like a test to make sure you can read, write, and to arithmetic?

Thanks for replying
>>
>>30758796
what do 12A's do anyhow?
>>
>>30758801
Engineer ((Officer))
>>
>>30758649
Thanks for the lengthy reply...

Seems cool, I might do space operations for the air force after I graduate...

Hopefully that will get me a job in the space industry afterwards; NASA, spaceX, etc...

I wouldnt mind being a pilot and persuing that 40C though but seems bleak
>>
>>30758824
I am confused, I thought if I had my four year degree and did well on asvab, I could go for officer positions?
>>
>>30758798
>My recruiter told me that he cant secure a job for me and that jobs in the navy change from day to day, and that I'm competing with everyone else in the US. Said the best I could do is to get a good ASVAB score and hope for the best.
Hes lying
Look be a man and grow some balls, tell his faggot ass that if he doesnt stop jerking you around you want to talk to the region supervisor and report him. He'll straighten up real quick and if he doesnt then get the number of the officer in charge of the region and report him.
>>
>>30758798
Make sure you're not saying you'll AWOL. You can shill out of a DEP promise and it's just a frowny face from the recruiter, but once you sign your big boy contract, y'ass better be in that seat.
>>
>>30758807
As an enlisted person, your degree doesn't matter at all. It only really matters if you are going into your field of work as an officer. Not sure about the police test, but the ASVAB has the general high school stuff like English and math, but it also has some sections on electronics and vehicle mechanics.
>>
>>30758854
Yes you apply for a commission. You don't enlist. You can't just walk up to the recruiter, look him in the eye, and shake his hand for a a 12A position. You gotta go through OCS
>>
>>30758854
Enlisting is not the same as going through OCS. Semantics. Similar process from a recruiter's standpoint, but not for you. Basic training as an 09S (Officer School Candidate) and then off to BOLC (Basic Officer Leadership Course).
>>
>>30758862
From what I understand, what I do at meps and I sign for a job, I can weasel out of. That's what I'm mentioning.

I'll bring up DEP or whatever to the recruiter and tell him I'll wait as long as possible to get the job I want.

>>30758859
How does that work? Even on reddit they're telling me they cant pull strings like that. I haven't even taken my ASVAB yet for example.

I've told him what I'm interested in already several times. After I denied nuke, they just want me to sign anything.
>>
>>30758807
>>30758876
My PL is a Logistics/transportation branch officer with a finance degree. It really doesn't matter what you're degree is in (with exception to AMEDD/specialized fields like radiology, etc., but that's not a normal commish anyway). It's what branch you get (which happens during OCS).
>>
>>30758882
ok, I see. That is my lifeplan. I cant afford to repay 60k of college loans, so I figured going to the military as an officer and having them repay it might be better.
>>
>>30758854
You should talk to an officer recruiter because the process to become an officer is completely different then becoming an enlisted serviceman. Unlike the enlisted side where there are always positions open, it is much harder to become an officer. From what I understand there are rated and unrated officer jobs. Rated jobs require a degree that corelates to the job, and unrated jobs are like Pilot or Navigator, which only require you to have a bachelors degree, doesn't matter the kind.
>>
>>30758917
>>30758876
so how do I go in as an officer other than military academy/rotc? I currently have a job and have some time to make this decision
>>
>>30758928
They can pay it off if you're enlisted too, so just know that you have many choices.
>>
>>30758946
I feel like I would be fairly well off, because most of the people who want to be officers have shit degrees and loans to pay off. Most engineers get 40k paying jobs out of school, so they dont even think of the military. Really, who knows, all I know is I would NOT EVER be a combat engineer.
>>
>>30758949
You go to a recruiter, swear in, and go to OTS, which, from my experience with officers is the more popular way to go.
>>
>>30758946
All that is AF. Army is just the same recruiter helps set up a packet for OCS, no choice.
>>30758949
go to a recruiter, army doesn't have an Officer recruiter, Navy and Marines do and ask them to help them start a packet for OCS. you need a lot of shit
>>
How difficult is it to get accepted to go to Army Warrant Officer Heliocpter school, if you are in another branch?
>>
>>30758901
>How does that work? Even on reddit they're telling me they cant pull strings like that. I haven't even taken my ASVAB yet for example.
Look your recruiter cant make you sign for something you dont want to. Once you take the asvab youll see whats available at MEPS. You can tell them at MEPS you want to wait for the job you want to open up and when that may be. Your recruiter cant do shit about that. He'll be pissed hes gotta drive you back another time but fuck him. Im telling you if he gives you a hard time talk to whoevers in charge of his recruiting station and ask for the number to the officer in charge of the region and tell him your recruiter is being a faggot.
>>
>>30758990
>>30758983
so go in and ask about officer candidate school and go from there?

would you say the military gives you a lot of structure? I do best with structure, whether it be at my job or going to practice for sports back in the day or following a syllabus in school
>>
>>30758976

>Most engineers get 40k paying jobs out of school, so they dont even think of the military.

Officers do substantially better than 40k just starting out, and hit six figure level compensation (after benefits/tax incentives) pretty quick.

There's a handful of careers where college grads make more in the civilian world than they would as officers (medicine, finance, and some STEM), but most of the time they'd be better off financially if they went into the military.
>>
>>30759030
Lel m8. You're entire life will be structured around the military. It's not a job, it pretty much is a life style, so don't worry about structure.
>>
File: 1466559632776.gif (896KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1466559632776.gif
896KB, 500x750px
>>30759086
ok. thanks for the advice, stay cool like this snowy owl
>>
>>30758976
I'm an engineer and I made 110k starting

there is no engineer that makes 40k out of the gate in the United States, maybe in some third world shithole
>>
>>30759142
I agree with you, I am a math major, and I started out at 300k, and am now at 375k.
>>
>>30759204
I'm a manager at Wendy's with a 7" dick

Making 400k
>>
>>30759467
I'm a three story monster from the paleolithic era, makin' 'bout tree fiddy
>>
Hey guys, I dont know dick about the military but i have a question. Is there something I can join where im not away from home a lot. Kind of like a backup if SHTF? I live in Texas, and I was looking at the Texas State Guard, do they do shit like that? I want to live my life normally but also join.
>>
>>30759604
National Guard is what you're looking for
>>
>>30759142
no offense

but bullshit

even if not bullshit, your personal experience does not reflect the norm
>>
>>30759604
National guard is the army reserves
Air National guard is the air force reserves

You can also go into the Marine Corp reserves, idk where you live but i live in dallas and in Fort worth theres a big reserve unit of Marines.
>>
>>30759697
>National guard is the army reserves
No? Army reserves are army reserves and the national guard is the NG.
>>
Stupid question, should I bring my wallet and keys to basic training?
>>
>>30759716
My mistake, NG is part of the Army though correct?

Im a USMC poolee so thats all i really know about
>>
>>30759730
Dude theres a pack list thats says what to bring. But ya i brought mine.
>>
>>30759762
I know but I keep seeing advice to bring some other things like q-tips and notebooks.

Did they lock them up or did you carry them around?
>>
>>30759789
Dude what branch are you? it differs branch by branch. I went into the Navy in 2010 and literally 10 mins after getting there we got completely naked and put evertything on us into a box to be sent home and they gave us clothes and shoes to wear. I kept absolutely nothing i brought with me, i only used my wallet, ID and what not to check in and that was it.
>>
>>30759745
>NG is part of the Army though correct
Again, no. Separate branch.
>>
>>30759673
>>30759697
Okay, so what kind of deployments am i looking at? How frequent and how long are they typically? Im sure it depends on the situation, but i just want a ballpark. This sounds promising. I plan to finish college if i were to join, how would that affect my military career?
>>
>>3075981
Army. I've read that the AF and navy give their recruits everything they need and everything else is taken away while the army seems to have some leeway for some strange reason.
>>
>>30759876
>No.30759819
>>
>>30759885
I give up. I'm going to bed.
>>
>>30759868
no idea m8 im going active duty,

>>30759830
NG recruits go to Army basic correct?
>>
>>30759142

My first CE job out of college was at $72,750.
>>
>>30743010
Small boys are better than carriers/amphibs unless you go BM, then Amphibs are basically your jungle gym.
>>
>>30755850
I'm guessing we don't have many army docs here?
>>
>>30759976
Yes

Nasty Girls is just like Army Reserves except they also receive state funding and it's their job to respond to anything inside the country (though they can get deployed anywhere else)
>>
>>30743451
All the nukes I knew hated their lives. I cooked with a lot of peeps who "tried" killing themselves to get out of nuke school.
>>
>>30745555
Or you could wind up in Coronado with a private beach 1/2 mile away and a golf course out your door, can't speak to the inside though.
>>
>>30746472
Be sure to take your DLAB
>>
>>30746688
When I went through boot camp I was 20 and was still one of the younger half of my division. My A school had plenty of 22/23 y/o college graduates so don't feel like you're too old just because your in your 20's. If anything it gives you an advantage because you know important stuff like how to run a washing machine. Your chain will probably hand you responsibility first because you're not some dumb ass straight out of high school, which is a plus if you want to actually achieve something instead of skate by like a shitbag doing just the minimum.
>>
>>30753978
I changed my rate twice in five years. Out of the 20 folk I processed with, I was the only one to find an open job (they just went by ASVAB score). It was a shitty logistics job, and even though I turned out to be colour blind (fucking nasty surprise there btw) I still wanted to do something 1337 and cool. I took the liasons advice and got enlisted to get my foot in the door, and he called my recruiter a few months later with something better and a little earlier ship date. Also, don't trust anyone at meps except your recruiter, and the crotchety old fucker who puts your record in a safe. There'll be a really frinedly person at the end who says he's there to verify everything on your paperwork, but he's really gonna try and get you to admit you smoked weed before or got in a fight once after school. Do not trust this man, he is a butt rapist.
>>
>>30757297
The Air Force has the best looking women in all the military, the all get railed by marines all the time. I bought one a waffle at the px and she blew me behind a dumpster, it was great.
>>
>>30757800
I put down Jedi and they just put "nopref" on mine.
>>
>>30759730
Wallet yes. A voided check so you have your routing number for pay stuff. One of those small address books with contact info for anyone you want to write/need for clearance stuff. I hear AF gets their phones on Sundays now because their soft as fuck, can't confirm about their phones, can confirm are soft.
>>
>>30742372
What is an example of a physical deficiency that could disqualify you from joining the military?
>>
I enlisted in the reserves for the 4500 a year for college, which will cover community and some of university. Is this a feasible plan if I save my money right to make up the difference for a transfer to university?
>>
Im want to join to your group teach me please !
>>
>>30761979
>18-21
Have a need for college money/hate brown people? Contact a recruiter today!
>22+
No other options in life? Contact a recruiter today!
>>
>>30761555
Missing a foot
>>
>>30759012
Not difficult.

Source: I'm an army warrant.
>>
>>30763948
Do you have to build a packet of leadership skills and accomplishments?
>>
>>30763988
Not exactly. I applied when I was 19, just had good test scores and LORs.
>>
>>30743802
You'll be fine, don't ever mention it to a recruiter.
>>
>>30763942
Nope, got those
>>
>>30744889
Just keep running 3-4 times a week and you'll be fine, Air Force PT standards are a joke anyways.
>>
>>30764167
Won't it show up on medical history?
Even if they find it, will it make a difference?
>>
>>30764196
What medical history? There's not a national database of everyone that has broken a bone before or has heart murmurs. I was born with a heart murmur that closed up when I was a child. As long as it's not a problem anymore there's no way for them to tell unless you tell them.
>>
So if I join as one mos can I renlist as a different one? Joining the army
>>
>>30764245
If it's available. It's usually wise to remain within the same field for career advancement
>>
>>30764239
I would think they would make you turn in some kind of record so that they know you won't drop dead if you don't get your pills twice a day.

You would think they want to avoid high maintenance people who have health problems or risks
>>
What's the minimum number of required contacts one must reference in order to begin a security clearance?
>>
>>30765098
>I would think they would make you turn in some kind of record so that they know you won't drop dead if you don't get your pills twice a day.
They don't "make you" turn in anything.

Just make sure you can pass a piss test, a blood test, a duck walk, a penis inspection, an anus inspection, and you're golden.

If you got a heart murmur or something, the doc may find it during the checkup with a stethoscope. If you think it might be a problem in the future, be honest about it before actually going to MEPS.

>You would think they want to avoid high maintenance people who have health problems or risks
They're letting trannies in now, dude. There's nothing more high maintenance (HRT) or with more mental health issues (41 fucking percent attempt suicide) than that.
>>
who here in West Point/Annapolis/The Citadel?
>>
so I'm someone with a GED and just got my 15 college credits, and am deciding which branch to pursue (between Army and Air Force). Read a lot of stories so far about AF recruiters getting their "pick of the litter", and job selection in the Air Force seems pretty shitty compared to the Army. In terms of enjoying my time in and getting a decent job, could someone chime in as to if I should pursue the Army despite the stigma behind it? Is the quality of life in the Air Force still miles above the Army?
>>
>>30765508
Seeing as how this board is fully comprised of faggots, everyone here is a cadet
>>
>>30757863
I had my interview lined up as well and got in as an IP. Man what a relief
>>
>>30757863
The officers I've met in the Navy have all been pretty chill.

I've encountered plenty of assholes from E6 to E8, but everything above that seems cool.
>>
>>30760745
army gets to use their phones at DI descretion too....

Marine Corp may be the only slightly real boot camp left
>>
>>30765465
if you do go this route make sure to hold it down and say nothing at meps or the moment of truth when they threaten you with pointless lies

i mean for fucks sake they swear up and down they can and will find out but if they could then why the fuck would they need people to confess
>>
What's everyone's DEP experience like?
>>
some1 make a new bread
>>
>>30742372
>>30768304

New
>>30768454
>>30768454
>>30768454
Thread posts: 305
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.