[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

long range vs. mid range

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: poland.jpg (341KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
poland.jpg
341KB, 1920x1080px
Looking to buy my first rifle. I've thought about basically going either AK variant or something like a Howa 1500 with an entry level scope, etc.

It seems like you can't really do a lot with a mid-range semi auto other than plinking at a range (maybe civilian training, but there aren't many spaces around where I can practice those kind of techniques). So even though there are few ranges where more than 200 yards is possible in MO where I live, going with a longer-range bolt action 308 or something is more appropriate for the average civilian recreational shooter (assuming that I'm going to study ballistics, practice under a variety of conditions, etc). What would you pick?
>>
>>30740088
What kind of area do you live in?
>>
>>30740190

mid missouri
>>
>>30740190

So nothing too wide open, but there are some long-ish ranges (but nothing >300yd within about 2.5hr of where I live)
>>
>>30740202
Let us assume Ivery never left the PNW and have no clue what mid mo looks like.
Is it heavily housed where you live? Mid or heavy woodland/forest? Marshy?
>>
>>30740216
Now we are getting somewhere, is it heavily populated arounder you? Is there any gang violence or low crime
>>
>>30740238

sparse trees, mostly flat, very grassy, some hills. No striking geological features
>>
>>30740266

My city is extremely white, major racial tension however, but its contained within a small college-area, zero crime in the suburban communities where I live. Not very populated outside of the downtown-area of the city.
>>
>>30740273
Good, and what is the purpose of the rifle? Just for fun, SHTF, intermediate, other?
Its my belief that all these things are important when finding a rifle that suits your needs. I'm not just asking questions to be annoying.
>>
>>30740313

Primary reasons in order: fun, making friends with other shooters, getting good at a very difficult lifelong-pursuit type hobby

Secondary: SHTF
>>
File: image.jpg (132KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
132KB, 1024x768px
>>30740333
I would go with an SKS or an older mini14
>good for medium ranges like yours
>have common ammunitions
>good aftermarkets on both if you choose to go that route
>box magazines are always a plus
>if S does HTF it's my opinion that semi autos in that range are a lot more useful than bolt guns, especially since ano optic can be added on if needed and give a similar result. But then again I've never been partial to bolt guns anyway.
>>
>>30740403

Cool I'll keep that in mind, and I appreciate your time, thanks for the input!
>>
>>30740403
And by box magazines I mean your CAN add a removable magazine to the SKS with little difficulty or leave it stock, whichever goats your moat
>>
>>30740418
From someone who experimented with those TAPCO 20rders in the past:

Garbage; will not feed for shit. Can barely be top-loaded with a stripper clip; you'll get half of them in there before one loads wrong and you have to take the whole thing out to fix it.
>>
>>30740439
Could be a rotten egg, I haven't had issues with the ones I've shot in the past.
>>30740413
No problem, there is more to consider as well if you choose to go with one of those two rifles, make sure you read up on the limitations of the ammunition they use as it will affect your choice
>>
>>30740088
AK or AR

Get them before the election takes them entirely off the shelves
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.