[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any woodworkers out there? trying to duplicate the finish on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

File: Nh04J.jpg (133KB, 1024x632px) Image search: [Google]
Nh04J.jpg
133KB, 1024x632px
any woodworkers out there?

trying to duplicate the finish on this stock set-the OP says its a bulgarian stock set from apex and he used BLO, both of which i am doing. However, mine is coming out much darker and I am really looking for that yellow honey color

i'm on my 3rd day/coat of BLO...any ideas?
>>
>>30734618

Boiled linseed oil yellows over time, some hate it, some like it. He might also have polymerized his BLO by keeping it in a glass jar in sunlight.
>>
>>30734664
ive been keeping all the parts in a dark shed...will leaving them in the sun (after they are dry obviously) speed up the yellowing?
>>
>>30734618

Also, pics of yours? And did you ask what wood he used and what wood did you use?
>>
>>30734724
Yellowing happens over a long period of time. Keeping the wood in the sun or near a window or something will definitely speed it up, but it's a rather slow process still. I use raw linseed oil and it took nearly 6 months for any sort of yellowing to happen, so expect to wait half that given you're using BLO.
>>
>>30734725

no pics right now i forgot to take some during the daytime, the wood should be the same however (i bought the same stock set from apex)
>>
>>30734744
damn was hoping to have it ready to go to the range at the end of the month.

still though, thanks for the tip mate. i was really disappointed when i wasnt getting that color but its nice to know all i have to do is wait
>>
File: kd1aF.jpg (234KB, 1024x565px) Image search: [Google]
kd1aF.jpg
234KB, 1024x565px
PS for any in this thread that are curious what i am referencing, you can see a few pics of the work here

http://www.sksboards.com/smf/index.php?topic=85840.0

gotta say the grain ribbing in the stock is weird but i kinda like it
>>
File: Bulgarian wood5.jpg (904KB, 1690x950px) Image search: [Google]
Bulgarian wood5.jpg
904KB, 1690x950px
>>30735088
here's a milsurp bulgarian wood that I haven't touched
>>
>>30735104
looks pretty good for milsurp

the set i got from apex was pretty scratched up...hence why im refinishing
>>
>>30735056

Next time I recommend using Tru oil for the finish you're looking for. Linseed and similar oils such as tung are variable oils which change massively as they age. Eventually linseed, when in contact with oils from your hand, sunlight, etc, etc, will become a very dark yellow, almost a walnut-esque brown. Tru oil darkens the wood the least and shines shellac

Also, are you sure the creator of the pictures didn't just edit the color in PS? Note that your bakelite handle also looks a different color than his.
>>
>>30734664
Stop it.
>>
>>30735431

Stop what? I've used sage the last two times to avoid over bumping the thread.
>>
>>30734618
Oil based top coats (sealers) will yellow over time. If you use a water base sealer it will be clear. If you find a stain that matches exactly use a water topcoat to keep color. If not just let time do it's work. Alot of people just used boiled linseed oil. And put alot of coats, but that is darker. Also boiled linseedboil can spontaneously combust. Can be used for a delayed ignition source.
>>
>>30735407
it was unissued kit, probably sat around on a rack until they decided to cut it apart and put it in a bag for shipping to Americans.
>>
>>30735467
Dont tell people to keep linseed oil in the sun.

This isnt /b/
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.