[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

SKS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 10

File: Sks.jpg (38KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Sks.jpg
38KB, 640x360px
I'm buying an SKS. I've done a fair bit of research, but is there anything you fellers think I should know?

SKS and related general.
>>
an sks d/m like whats in that pic is not the same as a sks and tend to cost more
>>
>>30733923
The firing pin is free floating. If there is an exceptional level of shit in the firing pin channel (seriously, it's not common, but it's worth mentioning), it can cause the firing pin to lodge forward, potentially making the SKS go full retard and magdump on you; essentially a 10 round slam fire.

It's very uncommon, and requires exceptionally poor maintenance. If you never clean the cosmo off and shoot a lot of corrosive ammo without proper cleaning, however, it could happen.

The easy fix is a firing pin kit that puts a spring in place to force the pin back after each shot.
>>
File: image.jpg (149KB, 2048x1097px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
149KB, 2048x1097px
Russian ones are best, Yugo ones are second best, Chinese ones suck. If you plan on putting a tapco stock in it and using the 20rd duckbill mags don't change anything on the original SKS or you'll hate yourself.

I thought the tapco stock was pretty nice and comfy and the thought of detachable 20rd mags seemed great in my Russian SKS.

Turned out that either the stock/mags were not working right because I couldn't get it to chamber a single round. The round would go all crooked and get locked up and the bolt would be halfway shut and it would take me and another person together to hold the bolt back while pulling the mag release and jerking the mag out. Ugh it was horrible.

I'm considering just getting an SKS that takes AK mags and putting a tapco stock because I really like that stock.

Rant over. Sorry to bleed that all out on you guys, I just really wanted that to work out because that stock was so comfy and felt good and it looked cool and I love M4 stocks but I don't like AR's. Also I already have an AK for those who think that'd be a better alternative.
>>
File: image.jpg (848KB, 872x2220px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
848KB, 872x2220px
>>30734378
Chinese commercial rifles suck, Type 56s are higher quality than Yugos.
>>
>>30735281
But yugos have a fucking GL
>>
>>30736555
if you count the yugo nade launcher as a grenade launcher every ar with an a2 flashider has a grenade launcher.
>>
>>30733923
Kyle?
>>
File: SKS6.jpg (54KB, 563x750px) Image search: [Google]
SKS6.jpg
54KB, 563x750px
>>30736789
>if you count the yugo nade launcher as a grenade launcher every ar with an a2 flashider has a grenade launcher.

Do what now?
It's certainly not a fucking flash hider.
It's a grenade spigot.
>As well as gas shut off to launch said grenades
>>
>>30736920
rifle grenades that go over an a2 exist they were never adopted cause rifle grenades are stupid but they existed
>>
>>30733923
Try to find a Long Barreled M59. They have a 21.5" barrel.
>>
File: FHarmalite.jpg (14KB, 650x189px) Image search: [Google]
FHarmalite.jpg
14KB, 650x189px
>>30736936
>a2 flashider
Ah, so you mean this "A2" flash hider, with a very specific "clip" device mounted behind it.
>Not quite what you were portraying though.

The Yugo SKS spigot was designed for and definitely used for grenades. A lot
>>
>>30737015
youve got exactly the same chance of using the a2 flashider as a grenade launcher in america as you do the yugos. none at all. its a neat cosmetic novelty.
>>
>>30733923
Have gun going inna woods with your meme gun.
>>
File: image.jpg (309KB, 514x1561px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
309KB, 514x1561px
>>30735281
Have Chinese type 56 with a non pig sticker bayonet. Great rifle, though I wish the length of pull was a bit longer, but it's not to bad.
>>
File: 1457389740969.webm (1MB, 320x480px) Image search: [Google]
1457389740969.webm
1MB, 320x480px
>>30737044
>none at all
I can find yugo dummy grenades fine.
You find me one of those clip attachments for an A2 so a RG is even feasible to be able to be launched.
>>
>>30734378
> just getting an SKS that takes AK mags and putting a tapco stock because I really like that stock

I did this and it sucks compared to an AK; the mags are finnicky to get in (have to be *just right* to rock in), and all mags must be loaded with one less round than full capacity so they'll lock into the magwell
>>
>>30735281
Commercial Norinco SKS's don't suck i have had several over the years and they were all fine
>>
File: 1468226583909.jpg (336KB, 1933x1087px) Image search: [Google]
1468226583909.jpg
336KB, 1933x1087px
Never stick your penis in the butt stock cleaning kit hole. Just sayin!
>>
>>30734009
this

buy the firing pin kit.
>>
>>30738025
The bad news is I read your post after trying to fuck my SKS buttstock. The good news is my penis is too big to fit in there. All in all, a consequence free day.
>>
>>30734009
>>30738031
be warned, people have had issues withe the SKS firing pin mod services offered by various internet gunsmiths in the past.
bear in mind well that you're trusting some bubba from god knows where to mill and heavily modify your bolt to fix what is essentially a non-issue. I'd say only get the spring loaded firing pin installed in guns with known slamfiring issue due to manufacturing flaws etc.
>>
File: sks1.jpg (320KB, 3234x788px) Image search: [Google]
sks1.jpg
320KB, 3234x788px
OP here. Here's my clunker. Would like to find an original 10rd non-detachable mag, but it's fun having higher capacity.
>>
>>30738183
Perhaps try getting one of these instead.
The fixed chinese "star" 20s are very good.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SKS-10rd-Fixed-Star-Magazine-Type56-Original-7-62x39-/162145028881?hash=item25c098cb11:g:mCIAAOSw4s9XkmKv

>Here's a 10 rounder too

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Factory-SKS-Fixed-Internal-10-rd-Box-Magazine-Mag-Clip-7-62x39-/391496352001?hash=item5b27004101:g:ez0AAOSwOVpXdQuU

Not a bad looking SKS, friend
>>
>>30738228
Yeah, I was looking at those earlier. Pretty spendy. Also, those are both 10 rounders. I'll just keep my eyes open, and maybe throw out a request on on arms list. I'm enjoying it as is so far.
>>
File: 20160212_152034.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160212_152034.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
>>30738261
>those are both 10 rounders
The star mags are 20, you just can't advertise any mag over 10 rounds on Fleabay otherwise it'll be removed.

>Pretty spendy
Those star mags have gone for well over $120 before, so if you could get it for $60, you'd be way ahead.
>I can't remember exactly what I gave for my 20 round fixed Chinese mags, but as I recall they were around $90 each.
>>
>>30738343
>The star mags are 20, you just can't advertise any mag over 10 rounds on Fleabay otherwise it'll be removed.
Good to know, thank you. Thre's no telling what the price will be on those mags when the auction ends, though. Still a lot to spend.
>>
>>30738393
True and if you're not exactly independently wealthy, it a stout price.
But they haven't been imported since 93, and they definitely aren't going to get cheaper.
So it's a buy once cry once situation too.

Just keep an eye on it though, you never know.
Many people bid on it because "There's no way it'll go that low, but maybe it will"

>Never hurts to at least throw your hat in the ring.
>>
>>30738415
Very true.

Thanks for the tips, everyone.
>>
>>30734009
>>30738031

Just maintain your fucking gun Jesus Christ
>>
Why ruin a perfectly fine SKS by making it accept AK mags? Is rifle not fine?
>>
>>30740756
Nyet, rifle fine. Only enemy of state say different
>>
>>30733923
>is there anything you fellers think I should know?

-You will be tempted to use duckbill detachable mags, Tapco-or-similar drop-in polymer furniture, etc. Don't bother, the stocks are all cheap garbage with poor ergos that fuck with the balance and function of the gun (can't dissasemble the gun without unscrewing that pistol grip, for instance), and you need to grind the feed ramp to get them to work right.

-While the SKS-M and -D SOUND like a match made in heaven, in practice they're finnicky and unreliable. No military has ever utilized them. They're no different that Bubba doing some welding and grinding in his garage on an intact SKS with the exception that the work was done by a Chinese slave in a factory. The SKS-M and -D were commercial factory mods done to commercial Norincos during the AWB to tap into the same market as the Mini-14s and other guns that avoided scurry banned features. They're shit.

- IMO Russian >Yugo without grenade spigot=ChiCom milsurp gun>Yugo with spigot> other milsurp variants>>>Commercial Norinco guns>>>SKSs nigger-rigged to poorly use AK mags. The reason I don't like the grenade spigot is that it throws the balance of the gun forward and looks pig-disgusting.

-buy a sight tool and Google "7.62x39 25/200 battle sight" and use that to dial your gun in. You're welcome.

-IMO the only "ugrades" to and SKS that actually increase functionality are a butt pad to extend the LoP beyond starving-manlet size (you can get one for under $10 on Amazon that will let you still use the trapdoor for the cleaning kit) and MAYBE one of the Chinese 20-round fixed mags, though those are pricey.

-Buy a bunch of GOOD stripper clips (circle-10). They're cheap and unlike generic ones won't give you a bunch of fucking problems.

-The Chinese chest rigs and slings (make sure you get milsurp and not NCStar knockoffs, this is important) are high-quality, heavy-duty, and awesom, plus cheap as hell.
>>
How much will a decent sks cost me? like $500?
>>
>>30741107
Cont'd

-For the cost of an SKS these days, plus the "upgrades" to turn it into a "poor man's AK", you're well into the price of an entry-level AK. If a pistol grip and detachable mags are important to you, just get a fucking AK because a Bubba'd SKS does just about everything worse than both a factory SKS AND a factory AK.

-The recoil spring goes into the bolt squiggly end first. You'll see.
>>
>>30741126
$350 is about the cheapest you're gonna get a good one for in 2016, and it's gonna be a pretty beat-up Type-56. $450-$500 seems to be the asking price these days.

IMO they're not worth that unless you REALLY want an SKS or live in a state where scurry salt rifles are banned.
>>
>>30741210
how much would a good mosin cost now? I just love the look of the wood and the bolt
>>
>>30741237
afaik Mosins are selling aroung the $200 mark now.

Once again, not fucking worth it imho over a new-production entry-level bolt gun like a Savage Axis that does everything better for not much more, unless you specifically want a Mosin.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.