[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why aren't firearms more ambi?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 11

File: hands-02.jpg (96KB, 1600x1135px) Image search: [Google]
hands-02.jpg
96KB, 1600x1135px
Why aren't they? Was at my LGS and was looking over a S&W 910 and loved everything about it except for the fact that the mag release is not reversible. Why? Like I get that we are only 10% of the population (this number is growing however because there are no longer nuns hitting your hands until you use your right hand) but wouldn't it make sense for firearms to be ambi all the time or at least convertible for a lefty.
For me, I can think of several reasons why they should be ambi:

1.) What if during a firefight or in the case of a civilian, a self-defense situation your right hand/arm becomes disabled and no longer are able to properly use it for the duration of these events? This seems like a major detriment to either a soldier or a civilian.

2.) What if you are in an accident and permanently lose the use your right hand/arm or at least have limited use of it? Now if you are avidly into firearms you now have a vast collection of firearms you can hardly use or would now make it dangerous for you to use.

3.) This really only applies to bullpups, but what if a soldier needs to fire around a wall or an obstruction from certain angles? This would otherwise expose them too much to return fire by using their right shoulder for shooting. (Pic related below, too small for an OP image.)

Finally why are mag releases not relocated to the heel or part of the trigger guard where it would be universally accessible all of the time? Also making a slide release present on both sides of a firearm does not seem that hard to be implemented. I know there are some designs that have these features incorporated but why has this not been more commonplace for decades now?

>Also inb4: "Hurr dis wus teh werr arr lerwd un savior John Moses Browning meant fur it teh beee!", "Jus lurn how teh shoot yer gurn duh right way hurr hurr"
>>
File: cornershot.png (16KB, 219x245px) Image search: [Google]
cornershot.png
16KB, 219x245px
>>30604794
Image mentioned above.
>>
File: 1452626048964.jpg (77KB, 450x518px) Image search: [Google]
1452626048964.jpg
77KB, 450x518px
Hurr dis wus teh werr arr lerwd un savior John Moses Browning meant fur it teh beee! Jus lurn how teh shoot yer gurn duh right way hurr hurr
>>
File: 37.gif (1MB, 475x362px) Image search: [Google]
37.gif
1MB, 475x362px
>>30604794
filthy lefties.
>>
The only time this shit matters is bullpups and bolt actions. Handgun controls are readily accessible for lefties and most semi auto rifles are already more lefty friendly than righty.

t. Left handed freak of nature
>>
>>30604794
>Finally why are mag releases not relocated to the heel or part of the trigger guard where it would be universally accessible all of the time?
they used to be exactly there on a lot of western arms (see: MP5, G3, FAL, etc) but then the AR15/M16 became a Hot Meme

the AR truly ruined everything forever. it's such a piece of shit, ergonomics-wise
>>
>>30604834
if you're left handed maybe, but you can drop the mag one handed unlike with a paddle/heel release so its literally more ergonomic retard
>>
>>30604814
>>30604824
>>30604827
>filthy lefties.
>Left handed freak of nature

How original. I expect nothing less from the common 90% plebs.

>>30604827
Not really. Like on a Bersa .380 the mag release is damn near impossible for a lefty to engage. Also even 'easier' mag releases like on the 1911 still require you to loosen up your grip. Also fucking how is it easier? Like on an AR the bolt release requires me do this reacharound fingerfuck thing in order for it to release. The bolt release/lock on a G3 patterned rifle is damn near impossible for a lefty to do in a timely fashion. So you'll need to elaborate on how it is easier for a lefty than a righty on most firearms.
>>
>>30604844
>if you're left handed maybe
> so its literally more ergonomic retard

Contradiction, the post.
>>
Trying to phase out lefties via inconvenience.

Maybe if you weren't using the Devil's Hand, you wouldn't want them.
>>
>>30604863
Use your left middle finger, dingus.
Obviously some guns like the AR (ambi parts cost $20) and HK bitchslappers aren't applicable, but most rifles the bolt is on the right. Consider the AK, which for lefties has all controls easily accessible to the non dominant hand without a reacharound.
>>
>>30604794
Buy an FN handgun and shut up.

Some brands refuse to make things that are competitive in the modern age, because dumb consumers keep buying their dated garbage. welcome to the firearms market.
>>
I actually discussed this with a friend who has a managerial job at CZ.

Golden reason: makes gun more complicated
2: this makes gun slower to make and more expensive
3: gun becomes heavier
4: gun arguably becomes less reliable and more susceptible to mechanical failure

This being said, the P90 is almost space magic since it avoids almost all of these pitfalls, being designed ambi from the start. vz 61 too, now that I think about it.
>>
Watch the Bruce Willis movie "Last Man Standing".

Watching a movie for gun handling tips might sound like telling someone to watch Brazzers movies for dating advice, but bear with me.

In the movie's big shoot-em-up scene, Willis uses two 1911s the whole time. He reloads several times and operates the magazine release and the slide release ambidextrously using the index and middle finger of his left hand instead of the thumb.

It looks wonky, but it seems to work. Probably just need to practice it. Getting into an extended shootout with Prohibition-era gangsters wearing hats should sharpen your skills considerably.
>>
>>30604876
*More ergonomic to the vast majority of the population

Happy?
>>
>>30604794
because fucking deal with it. if you can't learn how to operate a left side mag release with the middle finger of your left hand then you're literally retarded.
>>
>>30604900
That requires you to loosen you grip on the firearm. The rest of your stuff is true.
>>30604901
What if I don't want a squishy squishy?
>>30605008
How would putting a heel release on a mag or a trigger guard mag release make it more complicated or heavier and finally less reliable?
But yea the P90 is some space magic.
>>30605047
It works but its not as efficient as just having the same controls on the right side of the gun as it is on the left.
>>30605088
Yes. But you negated to understand the whole point of this thread or apparently didn't read everything in the OP.
>>
>>30605202
>how would a european mag release that requires 2 hands to operate and isn't drop free not extremely inferior to a standard mag release.
your 5 minutes of firearm handling shows OP. as a lefty it is literally more convenient to use my middle finger than to flip the mag release and I own several firearms that are convertible.

The only real annoyance in firearms is right ejecting rifles and bullpups, which is solved by nutting up for normal rifles or using a top ejecting/convertible rifle and forward/down ejection for most modern bullpups.
>>
>>30604794
typical liberal. expects the world to adapt to him.
>>
>>30605202
>That requires you to loosen you grip on the firearm.
Just like shooting right handed!
>>
>>30605221
The trigger guard release does not require two hands numb nuts. Literally instead of moving your thumb up to hit a button it moves down to hit a lever.

So under your logic loosening your grip on the gun then after completing the mag change then attempting to get the same hold on the pistol to ensure your shots are going to the same place as before is just as quick as briefly tapping a button with your thumb?
>>
Because lefties are the devils minions
>>
File: M1911A1.png (1MB, 1530x958px) Image search: [Google]
M1911A1.png
1MB, 1530x958px
>>30605231
>I didn't read the thread, the post.
>>30605240
How does where this mag release, where it is located, require a right handed shooter to loosen their grip? By that I mean loosening the palm and fingers not their thumb.
>>
>>30605257
>what do you mean heel releases are garbage trigger releases...
are a different thing

and they also fucking suck. the beretta pico uses one to remove snag points and it's stiff and shitty. works fine for a deep concealment pistol you aren't intending to reload under duress, works terribly for a combat handgun.

>>30605273
>the thumb
>not 1/2 of a persons grip
using the middle finger doesn't loosen your grip. do you even own a gun or are you going off of a general "I'm a special snowflake and no one must have thought of ____ before hey guys check out my new idea!"?
>>
>>30605273
>How does where this mag release, where it is located, require a right handed shooter to loosen their grip? By that I mean loosening the palm and fingers not their thumb.

Oh my god, man.

Have you ever even tried it? Like, have you ever even manipulated a handgun?

I think not.
>>
Lefty here.

P83 WANAD. Good mak variant for a leftie cuz no thumb ergonomic dick grip. I use the fresh mags top bullet to press the european mag release. safety and slide release are accessible with the trigger finger, although fuck safeties, I rack the slide and carry empty chamber and power stroke the slide on mag changes.

Bolts I reach over the top with my trigger hand and prefer the straight bolt of nuggets.

SKS or AK is more ergonomic for left handers.

In conclusion slavshit is more lefty friendly. Also you act like lefty is something that occurred to you yesterday and you havn't spent your entire life forced to find work arounds.
>>
>>30605317
>you act like lefty is something that occurred to you yesterday and you havn't spent your entire life forced to find work arounds.
using left hand designed products is literally more difficult than dealing with a non ambidextrous product. I've been reaching over bolts and pressing mag releases with my middle finger for decades. it'd be harder/slower if I swapped the mag release on my CX4 to left handed.
>>
>>30605202
hell mags just kinda suck. Trigger guard releases are fine as long as the frame and grip is not too big. For example the Beretta 92 is notoriously wide and I can't reach the trigger guard with my thumb (I'm 6ft). Smaller frames should be fine.
>>
File: Walther-PPQ-02.jpg (148KB, 504x392px) Image search: [Google]
Walther-PPQ-02.jpg
148KB, 504x392px
>>30605293
Pic fucking related.

Also your fingers wrap around something on most hand guns the word slips from my mind...oh right the grip. That is what provides most of your grip there. And yes you dense fuck I own an AR and a K31 (I got because it is easier for a lefty to operate than a traditional bolt gun) and have been wanting to get a pistol for some time.
>>
>>30604834
>MP5, G3
>lefty friendly
>>
>>30605341
>pic related
is shit
you'd know this if you've ever used one

>straight pull
>easy to operate left handed
are you fucking retarded? being left handed is literally why I don't own a K31. A straight bolt handle on a normal bolt action is lefty friendly, straight pulls are worse than a bent bolt.

>I'm too fucking retarded to use a proper pistol grip and hold the gun securely with my thumb, middle, and ring fingers and use the middle to actuate a normal mag release.
>>
File: 1420169272893.jpg (8KB, 209x233px) Image search: [Google]
1420169272893.jpg
8KB, 209x233px
>>30605341
>walther acquiesced to retarded consumer demands and switched over to a button release
>>
>>30605371
You literally bitched and bemoaned me for saying its shit for a trigger guard release because I had ever used one yet you have apparently never held a K31 and know nothing of how fucking easy it is to operate that bolt as a lefty. Also yes I have rented a PPQ at a range and they work flawlessly so your point is invalid.
>>
>>30605415
>literally wrong on every point.jpg

trigger guard mag releases are mechanically inferior to a push button. most left handed people who do not buy an ambi gun like a px4 just fucking deal and do the super easy thing of pressing the fucking mag release.

>k31
>easy to use left handed
>right mounted toggle bolt
so do you just punch yourself in the face with your wrist or do you unshoulder your gun each time you fire it? because one of those things would happen using a K31 left handed.
>>
>>30605443
">literally wrong on every point.jpg" You do this for known meme images ass.

>trigger guard mag releases are mechanically inferior to a push button.
Got any proof of it being less reliable?

>most left handed people who do not buy an ambi gun like a px4 just fucking deal and do the super easy thing of pressing the fucking mag release.
Yes. You Fucking sperg that is the whole fucking point of this thread; Why the living fuck aren't guns more ambi or convertible. Now fuck off.

>so do you just punch yourself in the face with your wrist or do you unshoulder your gun each time you fire it? because one of those things would happen using a K31 left handed

No because like most people I lift my head off of the rifle when recharging the bolt while keeping it on my shoulder.
>>
File: seriously.jpg (44KB, 535x345px) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
44KB, 535x345px
>>30605479
>Why the living fuck aren't guns more ambi or convertible
because to the non autistic it doesn't matter and logistically makes no sense

A. it is cheaper to make one frame and one part
B. the few tards like you are not worth the added expense of a separate assembly line or compromising the stock gun with a ambi release choice on a firearm not designed around it
C. it is a total non issue for most left handed people.

ambi safeties are industry standard for a reason, ambi mag releases are not for their own reasons.

>proofs!
because moving your thumb down along the axis of your fingers least amount of available motion is just so comfortable right? definitely not harder to do that pushing a button or anything...

they suck. it's a terrible design for a magizine release that has only found a home on snag free deep concealment handguns. compared to operating a trigger guard mag release using your index or middle finger on the right handed button release is infinitely more ergonomic and reliable. It's literally the reason why I do not own a beretta pico.

>it's lefty friendly!
>has to break sight picture to reload or he'd punch himself in the face
that is the exact opposite of lefty friendly in a bolt action rifle sperganon
>>
>>30605550
Part 1 of your shit: Pic Related. Fucking slavs made a 100% ambi all the time gun in the 1980's while keeping your button release yet not seen industry wide. Again. The fucking point of this thread.

Part two of your shit: Its literally a negligible difference in motion. Something you would know if you fired a PPQ. Again you are saying they suck without giving any reasoning on why it is less reliable.

Part 3: You have apparently no knowledge of the geometry on most bolt guns. So even if I was right handed the bolt would hit me in the eye.
>>
File: Crvena_Zastava_99.jpg (413KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
Crvena_Zastava_99.jpg
413KB, 1024x680px
>>30605617
Forgot Pic.
>>
>ITT: /k/ hates lefties
I've been wanting to make jokes about /k/ hating left handed people but phrasing it like they hate the political left but I'm not funny.
>>
>>30605653
>I've been wanting to make jokes about /k/ hating left handed people but phrasing it like they hate the political left but I'm not funny.

Are you me?
>>
File: lefty.png (142KB, 578x874px) Image search: [Google]
lefty.png
142KB, 578x874px
>>30605653
>>
>>30604794
If you're looking for good ambidextrous firearms, I have a few suggestions.

-Handgun - FNS (9, .40 or .45) - comes in as large as a long slide and small as a compact. It's what I would consider the ideal ambidextrous handgun. Every function on it is ambidextrous.

-Shotgun - Mossberg 500 - ambidextrous as pump actions get. The only thing that might get on your nerves is the right side shell ejection, but even that isn't too bad.

-Bolt action - I'd recommend practicing shooting a normal short action from a supported position and practicing right hand bolt manipulation. This can work to your advantage since you're not moving your trigger finger after you fire and you're not breaking your cheek to stock weld. Try a yugo mauser or a Remington 700.

-Semiauto rifle - G-36 style rifle if you can afford to modify an SL-8, otherwise go for an FN SCAR. If you're on a budget, there are enough accessories to modify an AR to be almost completely ambidextrous (ambi charging handle, ambi-safety, magpul b.a.d. for the bolt release). I made it a point to make my AR as ambi as possible after realizing my son was a lefty.

I'm sure my post will be picked apart by critics, but if any of them offer constructive criticism give them due consideration. Hope this helps.
>>
>>30605617
point 1; gee a fucking gun designed around an ambi mag release has an ambi mag release? great observation

pt 2: that "negligible" difference means it's uncomfortable and mechanically inefficient/difficult to operate. If you are going to design a gun ambidextrous there are far better options which are used on many production handguns.

also you're apparently ignorant of the fact that many production handguns, such as the beretta 92/96 series, can have their mag releases reversed by the user/a gunsmith.

pt3: no bolt action rifles won't "hit u in da eye" you nogunz faggot. but a K31 or K11 will mean you're hitting yourself in the face with your wrist, which is behind the bolt as your hand awkwardly uses the least lefty friendly bolt handle possible, if you maintain proper sight picture and operate the action, something lefties can easily do with a straight bolt handle rifle like most mausers, mosin nagants, etc.
>>
File: WP_20160713_10_35_34_Pro[1].jpg (2MB, 2000x3552px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20160713_10_35_34_Pro[1].jpg
2MB, 2000x3552px
>>30605762
OP here. No anon that was all useful. Thank you.

>>30605858
You proved my point; why aren't there more you dense piece of shit. Like did you even read anything in the OP or did you just see somthing about shit being ambi and had to come in here and just be an ass?

No. Negligible means there is no difference. Also if was just faggots saying "Hurr dis is 'murica and mah mag release is a button none of this fancy 'lever moving stuff'" that caused Walther to revert to a button style, because you know god forbid somebody wants to try something innovative in the firearms world.

You have apparently never even held a Mosin or a K31. Pic Related. Yes. They will hit you in the eye while recharging the bolt from wither the left, or the right.
>>
>>30604794
>buy a left handed bolt gun
>buy a CZ85B
>buy a break action shotgun
>buy a BDR when lelkek makes more than six at a time
You have some damn good options.
>>
>>30605354
he's only referring to the mag release. The safety is ambi too but it's a pain the ass because it sits right where the web of your hand.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.