[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Advantages and disadvantages of a sling, compared to bow?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

File: Ancient-Weapons-The-Sling-3.jpg (34KB, 652x300px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient-Weapons-The-Sling-3.jpg
34KB, 652x300px
Advantages and disadvantages of a sling, compared to bow?
>>
>>30604670
Bows are more of a precision weapon, slings are easier to train people to use and they have more range, but less accurate than a bow in the hands of a trained sharpshooter
>>
Assuming you know how to hit something:
Pro:
Since hunting arrowheads turn into rotating blades once you fire a rock might leave more intact meat when hunting small game.
Also, the longer and sturdyer the sling, the further you can shoot. Or you can use bigger rocks.
It's easier to find fitting rocks then making fitting arrows
Cons:
Penetration kills larger targets better then bashing, because hits to not vital areas will still lead to a lot more blood loss.
Bow formations can be packed tighter with more shooters per area.
>>
>>30604708
you don't hunt small game with hunting arrows. there are blunt arrows for birds/rabbits.
>>
>>30604704
IIRC a skilled sling user is just as accurate as a skilled bow user.
>>
>>30604749
True, i forgot about that.
>>
>>30604708
>>30604670
I'm not entirely sure but if i recall correctly a long sling, throwing lead sling bullets, will outrange a bow
>>
Pros
Both are silent.
The bow is harder to conceal than the sling.
Can throw grenades/molotovs farther with a sling than a bow.
Ammo aplenty with a sling.
Can use sling as a flail if you use a big "rock or something"
Cons
Wider area needed to sling than bow
Modern Bows are more deadly
Bows are "slightly" easer to train than sling, video tutorials, not a dead art.
>>
Looking for hunting vids with slings, cannot find any
>>
File: 1397531600627.jpg (137KB, 1500x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1397531600627.jpg
137KB, 1500x1500px
>>30604670
The sling really only has one major advantage: amazing range compared to a bow. Ancient records tell us that Baldric slingers could strike targets at 200 yards away. Modern day study of indigenous peoples in Peru and Ecuador show that they still use the sling in both hunting and personal defense, and some are able to cast bullets at 80 or 90 meters. Additionally, sling bullets are more likely to ricochet and retain their velocity when hitting a solid surface or earth, increasing the range at which they can still be lethal much like how a cannonball can be skipped for hundreds of yards.

However, in literally every other way they are inferior. They can not be used in enclosed areas, they can not be used in close formations, they are less lethal than arrows, they take FAR more training, its FAR easier to fuck up a cast and hit yourself or friends, and slings are just less accurate in general.

To give you an idea of the difference between slings and bows, look at these two videos of a Strayan building both out of stone age materials and learning to fire them.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzDMCVdPwnE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLoukoBs8TE
>>
>>30604670
Slings are easy to make and their ammonis easier to acquire. Slings are also small and light so they can be carried as a secondary weapon and slingers could double as light infantry more wffectively then archers. I'm not sure if that happenes, but the possibility exists
>>
>>30604670

Think of slings like handguns and bows like rifles.

Sling is easily carried, ammo easily carried (or scavenged), not quite as accurate as a bow (for average users with same training time), doesn't take as much energy to use as pulling back a heavy poundage bow, generally less lethal than a bow (sling will likely not be able to kill with one shot in the chest or stomach for example).
>>
>>30604762
That's correct
>>30604670
Slings take years to train with, and each guy needs plenty of space.Using any old rock will *do* but if you want any real accuracy and better power you need specially made sling bullets.Its cheaper than a bow and easier to hide but blunt force trauma is not very deadly unless it happens a lot, really hard while an arrow is like a flying knife which is very deadly.
>>
Sling has infinite ammo
>>
>>30605769
That guy has one of my all time favorite YouTube channels. But I think he's a kiwi iirc
>>
File: hahahaha.jpg (43KB, 634x323px) Image search: [Google]
hahahaha.jpg
43KB, 634x323px
>>30604670
My kind of thread.
>>
>>30606698
From all awesome slingshots
You take the condom shooting sling gun
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.