[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Knife or Bayonet?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: cold steel.jpg (3KB, 176x171px) Image search: [Google]
cold steel.jpg
3KB, 176x171px
What would be more useful/ worthwhile in combat?
It seems to me that anything you would want to use a knife for (ie cutting rope, cloth, wood...) could be done with a bayonet if you needed to.
and I know I know....people dont really use knives and bayonets in real life but just humor me and jack off my little prepper dick
>>
>>30594876
Depends, most older bayonets aren't sharp, but with a 1897 or mosin or something, you have a spear as well. But an m-4 bayonet is pretty good.
>>
>>30594876
>What would be more useful in combat?

I feel like your utter lack of common sense doesn't warrant a reply but whatever I'm bored.

Which would you prefer in combat; a three inch piece of metal at the end of your hand, or a foot long piece of metal and the end of a three foot gun?
>>
depends if you're better with knife fighting techniques or bayonet. there to many variables to say which is better. depends from material, design, personal abilities, context of contact.
>>
>>30595115

Knife is more natural to use and does not require as much training as bayonet. When it comes to actual combat use in nowadays, both bayonet- and knife-fighting are small niches for which most armies do not bother spending any real resources for very good reasons.

Good utility knife will do the trick and if extremely rare occasion for needing to use a knife/bayonet appears it will suffice.
>>
>>30594876

In combat? In the one in a thousand million chance you ever get into a CLOSE QUARTERS BATTLE REMEMBER THE BASICS OF CQC!! an actual knife would be better.

If your enemy is THAT CLOSE that you can't shoot him with a rifle, there's no way you will be able to stab him with a bayonet. You would want a knife in a sheathe you could pull and stab him in a grapple.

Now, yes, you could do that with a bayonet as it is just a knife with an attachment point, but: bayonets SUUUUCK. They have shit steel, they have shit geometry, they are too short, their sheathes suck an ass. Better to have an all around utility knife that can baton wood or other tasks effectively. Any situation in which you could stab someone with a blade on your rifle you could just stab them with bullets and be done with it.
>>
>>30594876
a bayonet IS A KNIFE....
I have a buddy who stabbed a guy to death with his bayonet in Iraq,...IDK if it was attached to his rifle at the time...but I assume it was.
>>
>>30595507
That buddy is probably lying
>>
>>30595013
>a three inch piece of metal at the end of your hand, or a foot long piece of metal and the end of a three foot gun?

Its not 1917 anymore grandpa. Bayonets these days give you maybe 8" at the end of the rifle and the most the bayonet could hope for in life is being a utility knife.
>>
>>30595412
A bayonet ON A GUN is a far superior weapon simply for the fact that is has reach, at every (equal) level of training.
>>30595486
If you're too close to shoot or stab with the bayonet you'd best hit him with the butt of the rifle, then go back to stabbing. If you can't do even that, pulling a knife will likely not save you either because you're probably shanked already. Also, a bayonet is is useful when your ammo is out, rifle malfunctioned, whatever.
>>
>>30594876
A bayonet can do all the things a knife can do plus be fixed to the end of a rifle. So why not a bayonet?
>>
File: pistin.jpg (200KB, 1428x598px) Image search: [Google]
pistin.jpg
200KB, 1428x598px
>>30594876
>Knife or Bayonet?
Why not both? The RK 62 bayonet has the same blade as Sissipuukko. Only the tip is a bit different.
>>
>>30595720
>A bayonet ON A GUN is a far superior weapon simply for the fact that is has reach

This, a folding knife will do most of the actual knife related tasks day to day but a on the end of a rifle would be better than a knife alone

The m7 or okc3s would also make for pretty good fighting knives so I really don't see the issue
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.