[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I am looking to get my first deer hunting rifle. I have never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (95KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
95KB, 600x400px
I am looking to get my first deer hunting rifle. I have never hunted.

I am hoping to not spend a whole lot of money, under $500 including scope if possible.

I am leaning towards Remington 783 in .30-06 caliber. Anyone have experience with this gun? Do you like it?
>>
>>30593737
Savage Axis or Ruger American
Stop and actually do some research into the problems plaguing Remington.
>>
>>30593737
Savage Axis II XP. Bar none. Don't even consider anything else.
>>
>>30593755
Thanks, I will look into that. "t comes in 22-250, .223 Rem, .243 Win, 25-06 Win, 270 Win, 30-06 and 308, 7mm-08 Rem." any advice on that?
>>
>>30593792
270, 308, and 30-06 are going to be the best options. 308 is the most cost effective. 270 has the flattest trajectory.
>>
>>30593792
>>30593800
7mm-08. Fuck .270
>>
File: rolleyes1.gif~c200.gif (6KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
rolleyes1.gif~c200.gif
6KB, 200x200px
>>30593832
Oh wow, an even more expensive harder to find cartridge. Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>30593839
Also slower and less powerful.
>>
Marlin XL7 is pretty good. I've owned one for 4 years and its my go to rifle for deer.
>>
>>30593839
>what is reloading?
>what is resizing .308?
>>
File: Weatherby Vanguard.jpg (250KB, 508x271px) Image search: [Google]
Weatherby Vanguard.jpg
250KB, 508x271px
>>30593737
>I am looking to get my first deer hunting rifle. I have never hunted.

Most of /k/ has legitimate brain damage and well tell you that if you hunt deer with anything less than a .300 RUM you're not going to even break it's skin.

A .308 is probably the best round overall due to it's relatively light recoil, availability, price, and effectiveness as a hunting round. A .30-06 is overkill for deer relative to it's increase in price and recoil. .243 Winchester is also a really good round, but it's a little underpowered (but still perfectly doable with good shot placement) if you want to eventually hunt black bear too.

As for the actual gun, I would recommend a Savage Axis II XP. It's by far the best bang for your buck of any bolt action rifle.
>good trigger
>comes with a decent entry-level hunting scope
>surprisingly smooth action
>durable
>American made
>Good quality control

Pic related is another good option, but a little more expensive.
>>
>>30593923
yeah, and reloading 270 will still be more cost effective, and more powerful, and flatter trajectory. What is your point?
>>
>>30593737
I have the 783 in .308, and it's excellent. Great trigger, and detachable mag. Also, accurate as fuck. I'm putting holes in holes at 100 yards.
Let's face it though, you're on /k/, so you wanna hear the bad.
Cons are the weight, which is a bit over 8 pounds with a scope. Also, the polymer stock sucks up dirt and stains easy. They made it cheaper than the 700 by keeping more metal over the action, so it's hard to load the mag from the side, and that's also responsible for the increased weight, though supposedly it make it stronger. Mine came brand new with a boresighted scope, no idea what brand, supposedly a Vortex. Seems good for hunting paper and coyotes. Now, the clincher. The bolt has a weird coating on it that makes it look and feel like plastic, and it's not as smooth as it could be. The safety is solid, and the sling mounts work great. Oh, and I got it shipped online to my FFL, and including the FFL fee, it came out to less than $350 dollars. Think that covers it. All in all, I'm happy with it. Probably never gonna sell it, because it'd sell for under $300, and it goes against the grain to sell a good rifle for that little.
>>
File: 1235125412421.jpg (1MB, 4000x3000px) Image search: [Google]
1235125412421.jpg
1MB, 4000x3000px
Tikka T3 in 308 with GRS Berserk body

y/n ?

Don't mean to hijack your thread OP, just exploring similar territory.
>>
>>30594794

That looks like a pain in the ass to take hunting unless you're a truck window sniper, but Tikka has a solid reputation.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.