[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying first gun at the store

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (108KB, 640x409px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108KB, 640x409px
I'm going to some gun stores today to look for a full sized handgun hopefully a glock 19 fns9 (idk the difference between the other fns) Walter Ppq, or a cz75(idk what the difference between the B version is. or something. I don't know much about full sized handguns and this will be my first gun. What should I look for and how much should they cost? I don't wanna get ripped off. The only one I know about here is the glock 19. Should I just try out guns and choose one and then go home and research it before buying?
>>
>no CZ-75 SP-01
OH SHIT WAT R U DOIN STALKER

But yeah if you can rent pistols in your area I would do so before you buy anything. Make sure you like it before you buy it.
>>
File: 20150120_114713.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20150120_114713.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>30558867
needs to be updated to have canik Tp9SA/SF
in there its only 350 usd and is like a glock 17 walther ppq hybrid. holds 20 +1 when you buy the mags and 18+1 when you first get it
>>
>>30558978
>>30559081

What if I can't rent pistols? How do I know if it's damaged or not?
>>
>>30558867
Glock or M&P in 9mm

Glock 19 is the "thinking man's Glock"
>>
File: 1455890615481.jpg (36KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1455890615481.jpg
36KB, 640x360px
>>30558867
>What should I look for

The guns in the pic you posted, save for the Caracal.

>how much should they cost?

Depends entirely on your area, but expect to spend about $500 for a noice handgun and $300 for something decent.

>Should I just try out guns and choose one and then go home and research it before buying?

Yes. Find local ranges and rent guns and ask the RO to help you out since you're new.

>>30559081
>needs to be updated to have canik Tp9SA/SF

If you want that done you'll have to do it yourself. Every recent attempt was crowdsourced and ruined by people inserting their dumbass opinions.

>My fucking face when the guy who made the 1911 pic just copied r/guns' 1911 list and just moved things he didn't like to shit tier
>My fucking face when people shit on the Jericho but dickride Tanfoglio

>>30559136
Do you plan on buying used?
>>
Pick up and hold a bunch of them. See what fits your hand well. Also dry-fire them. Check the reset; do this by holding the trigger down after dry-firing, racking the slide (just like it does when it cycles), and then slowly releasing the trigger. You're looking to see how far forward the trigger has to go before it clicks and the weapon is ready to fire again; you also want to see what kind of tactile and audible feedback it gives.

Also check out mag releases. See what style you like best (button vs paddle).

FWIW I have yet to find a pistol that stands up to my P99AS in terms of ergonomics and stock trigger, and the PPQ is only supposed to have improved on that already-wonderful trigger.
>>
>>30559136
Pull back the slide and lock it back, check the feed lips for visible marks, ask to dry fire ( they usually don't give a fuck, but it's still polite). Rack again and check that the safety works (if it has one), put the empty magazine in and see that the magazine drops free.

I know it's a block of text, but that's my usual process of inspecting a handgun.

Try to avoid used to avoid other issues like rust and carbon buildup. Try a bunch, because at the end if ten-day what's most comfortable to you won't necessarily be the same as me or somebody else.

>>30559149
Nearly went with the p99as, because of general ergos and trigger, but the sig p320 beat it out on ergos, comfort and about equal trigger. Walther definitely knows what they're doing with the p99 though.
>>
>>30559146

No probably buying new, and by trying out I just mean holding and manipulating. I can't rent guns around here. So any of these guns are good to get as long as they are comfortable?
>>
>>30559204
>>30559149

So I can dry fire them to test the trigger?
>>
Torn betwen the nostalgia of a Berreta M9 and a love of the grip angle and fit of the Ruger American. Wut do /k/?
>>
>>30559305
Yep. Most places will allow it because it doesn't harm firearms anymore. Unless they're assholes, which is why you ask, but 90% of the time they just say yeah sure.

Also if you want to test the trigger reset, rack the slide, pull the trigger, then without releasing, rack the slide again. Slowly release the trigger, when there's an audible click, you can squeeze and fire again.
>>
>>30559335
Pro con list? Or the classic decider, print out one picture of each, start masturbating, when your about to climax pick one up finish on. In that moment you will know.
>>
>>30559287
>So any of these guns are good to get as long as they are comfortable?

Pretty much, yes, but avoid the Caracal. Most (if not all) were recalled.
>>
>>30559369

Oh nice I'll have to try that thanks anon. Yeah most of the triggers I've fired are pretty good I had a single stack I shot once it was a Taurus wih a ridiculous long trigger pull. I'm assuming all of these are double action? I've only shot a few handguns, a xds.45 a Taurus pt99 and that shitty single stack Taurus. I shot a .22 browning but that was single action I think
>>
>>30559463
The weight and how cleanly it breaks are important starters, but a short reset with good tactile feedback (a "click" you can feel) becomes very important when you start doing anything more exciting than slow fire.
>>
>>30559463
Taurus is notorious for weird qualities or shitty products. And you're pretty much correct in your statement, but some pistols, usually higher priced, can be double and single action.

>>30559540
To go off what this anon said slightly, a short trigger reset means s faster potential follow up shot if you use it for carry or home defense, which may not be your concern right now, but for future purchases.
>>
>>30559588

So do most of the guns in the op have this type of trigger or is it different for every gun even if the model is the same?
>>
>>30558867
>/k/ approved
>9mm
>9mm
>/k/ approved
>9mm
>>
>>30559618
Are you asking if they are all double action or are you asking if they all have about the same level of performance?
>>
>>30559771

Im asking about the performance, like weather guns of the same model might function differently.
>>
>>30559814
I mean if you have two of the same forearm in front, there may be a minor (very very Fucking minor) difference. Really two identical firearms should function exactly the same, unless it's a company like Taurus or shittier.
>>
>>30559651
cry more Elmer
>>
>>30558867
Where's the Hi-Point
>>
>>30559588
As shoddy as Taurus can be, they rarely fuck up the PT92 and PT99 (short of the mags, which can be replaced by MecGar ones)
>>
>>30560124
This is true, and admittedly I wasn't even thinking about the 92 or 99. If only Taurus learned and built off those more, but no, more shit like the judge, but worse quality.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.