[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What'a a good first rifle I can buy with 300 bucks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

File: Ruger.jpg (106KB, 1400x425px) Image search: [Google]
Ruger.jpg
106KB, 1400x425px
What'a a good first rifle I can buy with 300 bucks?
>>
savage axis xp
>>
>>30553795
You've already found it.

The second edition anniversary commemorative one looks good with the grey stock
>>
>>30553812

10/22? I mean yeah if you like a pea shooter, nobody takes .22lr's seriously bruh.
>>
marlin model 60 is another option. cheaper to buy and no magazines necessary. while it doesnt have as many aftermarket options as the 10/22 (another fine choice), the model 60 would make a great affordable first gun that you can shoot and pass on to your kids one day. not saying that the 10/22 cant be an heirloom, but i think the 60 has more character (as much character as a $160 current mass produced firearm can have anyway)
>>
>>30553830
>giving a shit about what others think

Are you excited to start 10th grade next year?
>>
>>30553795
A 10/22, 597, or 795 is pretty much your only option for a rifle + 1000 rounds under $300.
>>
>>30553795
Whats the difference between a takedown and regular carbine
>>
>>30557252
The take fiwn you can break in half and have it in a smaller bag or case for storage...really a feature for an emergency survivsl rifle.
>>
>>30553855
do the newer model 60's with the wood stock have studs for a strap?
>>
>>30553830
>nobody takes .22lr's seriously bruh.
Who is "nobody" besides you?
>>
File: IMG_3526.jpg (796KB, 2824x2095px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3526.jpg
796KB, 2824x2095px
Part 1/3

If you need a gun for home defense/and or dangerous happenings, your best bet is an AR15.

Let’s talk about why the AR15 is the BEST option for a SHTF scenario.

The AR15 is the weapon of choice for the US Military and most, if not all US Police forces.

The ammunition (5.56/.223) is extremely common with Every US community, USMIL/POLICE included, and is an accurate, hard hitting round. It is also light, and inexpensive.

The AR15 itself is a truly remarkable design, and is utterly reliable if manufactured correctly. The famed “AR15 is unreliable” saying goes as far back to Vietnam, where the US government attempted to use incorrect powder in early M193 ammunition. This is very wrong, and lead to early M16s not working properly. If the Government had followed the suggested power recommendation, the reputation never would have materialized.

Let’s talk a bit about the AR15s obvious competitor, the AK. The Russians designed a very nice rifle with the AK47, and further improved it into the AKM. But you have to understand that Russia is not allowed to export AKMs to the US anymore, and modern AKs for sale in the US are either Eastern European parts kits (of dubious quality) or brand new US made AKs (of EXTREMLY dubious quality).

Not to mention the fact that the AK is no more reliable than the AR15 in the first place, and its ammunition, the 7.62x39 is a rather anemic cartridge past 300 yards, and has the ballistics of a bowling ball. The AK and its Ammunition is also not used by any sizable US Police Forces, and almost all 7.62x39 ammunition is manufactured overseas, much of it IN RUSSIA, you can see issues with the availability of spare parts and ammunition in a crisis. 5.45 is in the same boat, a good round, but of limited availability

I am not suggesting the AK is a bad platform, merely that it is not the best choice for a “Life and Liberty” gun.

Now let's talk about how to actually get an AR15.
>>
File: IMG_3610.jpg (386KB, 2334x1366px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3610.jpg
386KB, 2334x1366px
>>30560132
Part 2/3

It is highly advisable that you BUILD your AR15, as you save quite a bit of money doing this, and you get to tailor the rifle to your preferences from the beginning.

There are 3 forms of common AR15 builds that you can start with, keep in mind, once you get familiar with the platform, you’ll learn of more, but these require no tinkering to make work.

16” Mid Length, 20” Rifle Length, and 14.5 Carbine Length.

16” Mid Length is what I recommend to those getting a new AR, as it is the minimum legal barrel length to keep your AR considered a rifle, and not a “pistol”(thus allowing you to have a stock without NFA paperwork)

This is a soft shooting and well balanced combination, and is utterly reliable. “Mid Length” refers to the gas system length, with many prebuilt ARs, 16” rifles will simply have a Carbine Length gas system, which is outdated, and increased felt recoil/parts wear.

Here are some good brands to look at when BUILDING an AR. I may leave out some, but any listed here will be QUALITY.

>PSA, BCM, Daniel Defense, Noveske, Midwest Industries, Aero, KAC, LMT, Rainer Arms, and VLTOR

PSA and BCM are considered the best for new shooters because of their milspec quality and affordable price points while providing excellent QC and parts quality.

You should avoid Red Barn, Radical Firearms, and PSA PTAC.

In a Mid Length Rifle, you’ll want a Carbine Buffer.

I recommend new shooters “Build” a rifle by ordering a lower of their choice, and a complete upper. This will eliminate the chance of (you) fucking up a rifle on assembly. Some Complete uppers will still lack BGC and Charging Handles. I personally recommend you stick to “Full Auto, Milspec” BCGs. THIS DOES NOT MAKE THE WEAPON FULL AUTO, IT SIMPLY DENOTES THAT IT “COULD” FIRE FULL AUTO WITH AN AUTO SEAR.
>>
File: IMG_3523.jpg (672KB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3523.jpg
672KB, 3888x2592px
>>30560142

Part 3/3

Here’s some general advice for all things AR15 related

It is generally a good idea to stick to "Mil-spec" guidelines, or above when building an AR. Everything I recommend will meet or surpass these.

A Lower is a Lower is a Lower. Any Mispec Lower will do the same thing as any other Milspec Lower, if you want to save money, buy an Anderson Stripped Lower and PSA LPK. Milled, Ambi Lowers are not needed for 99% of shooters.

It is a good idea to have 500 rounds of quality, brass case ammo in storage.

M193 is a very good ammo to stockpile, it is cheap (30-35 cpr) and relatively accurate. This is the round the Military used in Vietnam to devastating effect. THERE ARE BETTER ALTERNATIVES FOR SELF DEFENSE, HOWEVER.

1/7 or 1/8 barrel twists is the best because it allows you to stabilize heavier rounds, such as 77g Mk262.

Only buy Magpul mags, Lancer L5 mags, or GI mags with Magpul followers.(Shitty mags are the #1 reason a rifle is unreliable)

All milspec AR parts will be interchangeable, avoid proprietary stuff for convenience.

If you are building the rifle on a budget, don’t worry about fancy things that aren't needed to increase reliability, that money would be better spent on ammo and training. You will always have time to customize the rifle to your liking after your experience grows a bit.

Optics are nice, but not a necessity. DO NOT CHEAP OUT ON OPTICS, AND ALWAYS RUN BUIS(Backup Iron Sights). And no, your $30 dollar ACOG Clone does not outperform your buddies $400 Aimpoint.

If you plan on using this rifle for defense, a weapon mounted light is 100% necessary, bad things happen at night, seriously it’s not mall ninja shit and anyone who has actually used a rifle at night can confirm this.
>>
>>30560153
how much is this going to cost me
>>
>>30560555
I was just posting this as a host for a guide I'm making.

ARs are like 600-3000 bucks tho
>>
>>30560682
Even the cheapest AR will be 'better' than say a mosin 91/30?"
>>
A cheap PSA upper or similar, then save $200 and assemble a lower.
>>
Youll often hear "for another X dollars, you could have this instead". In this case, you wiuld be better served saving up some more money and opening your options. It really would be wirth it ti save another $100 or two.
>>
Spend a little more and go for a CZ 452 before they're all gone. The 455s are good too but not AS good.

I've got a 452 ultra lux and that thing is pure beauty. You'll have it forever.
>>
File: mark ii.jpg (278KB, 1278x720px) Image search: [Google]
mark ii.jpg
278KB, 1278x720px
10/22 and savage mark ii are great choices for a first rifle but .22lr may get boring and is not very useful for self defense
>>
File: arg.png (266KB, 1868x1280px) Image search: [Google]
arg.png
266KB, 1868x1280px
Glorious
>>
>>30553830
Try saying that with a brain that has been blended by a .22lr bouncing around your skull.
>>
>>30563003
You're doing a great job putting the fag in tripfag.
>>
>>30563003
>capping your own posts

Betcha you like sucking your own dick too, don'cha?
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.