[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

QTDDTOT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 184
Thread images: 27

File: sbrs.jpg (804KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
sbrs.jpg
804KB, 1600x1067px
Other thread is sinking.

I have a question about the application to make an SBR.

>must (1) attach...a 2 inch x 2 inch photograph of his/her frontal view
taken one year prior to the date of the application

Does it mean the photo has to be as recent as within the last year? Any older than that is not considered current & valid? So I would just go get passport photos taken before I'm ready to send off the applications, yeah?
>>
So is there such a thing as bargain bin rifles anymore?
Like a reliable rifle you an buy for $50
>>
>>30469038
>Does it mean the photo has to be as recent as within the last year? Any older than that is not considered current & valid? So I would just go get passport photos taken before I'm ready to send off the applications, yeah?
Correct.
>>
What's a good shtf optic?
As in doesn't use batteries
>>
>>30469656
Iron sights? Or an ACOG type fiberoptic if you want magnification
>>
>>30469474
you can still get new single shots for 100 but 50 dollar anything is long gone
>>
>>30469656
aimpoint t-2 or h-2 weights like 5 oz with mount, is indestructible, and has a battery life of 5 years on a constant brightness setting of 7 out of 10 off 1 cr123 or whatever the hell it is. fuck they got aimpoints that last 8 years off 1 aa
>>
Does /k/ really recommend your first rifle being a .22?
>>
File: ss (2016-06-29 at 02.40.44).jpg (27KB, 420x360px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-06-29 at 02.40.44).jpg
27KB, 420x360px
Does anyone know if you can put a red dot on the TP9SF that isn't the competition model?
>>
File: 1467417227042.png (2MB, 1958x773px) Image search: [Google]
1467417227042.png
2MB, 1958x773px
So I got a bayonet in today.

It has this clip on end of the frog. What is it called and what is its intended purpose?
>>
>>30470729
bump

I cant find it on google. Surely some military professional on here knows what it is I can post more pics
>>
>>30470729
old fashioned hook for your belt or webbing
>>
I'm left eye dominant, and right handed. When my dad taught me how to shoot, he told me to close my left eye, other than shooting lefty and accepting a face full of brass, is there a way to mitigate this, or does it not matter? My vision doubles with both eyes open, making it difficult to aim, but I feel like I'm less accurate because I'm only using one eye.
Pic unrelated.
>>
File: 773751.jpg (151KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
773751.jpg
151KB, 880x660px
>>30470729
alice compatible hook
>>
File: Gasblock.png (57KB, 943x900px) Image search: [Google]
Gasblock.png
57KB, 943x900px
>>30469038
I bought the wrong size roll pin for my gas block.

>pic related

Is this going to cause problems?
>>
>>30471030
to clarify, it fits snug.

like other things in my life, the girth is okay, but the length is pretty short.
>>
>>30471045
it doesn't really do anything more than keep the gas tube port lined with the gas block port

should be fine if you asked me but i put my AR together with a framing hammer and some pliers so i dunno
>>
>>30471045
As long as the diameter is correct it should be fine. You'll probably want to pick up an appropriately sized roll pin punch to make life easier if you ever want to remove the gas tube.
>>
>>30470920
cool picture.

both eyes open is just a room clearing / mall ninja thing.

with pistols you can still use your left eye and hold the pistol central to your body.

with rifles, keep doing what you're doing. A red dot helps if you really want to keep both eyes open.

and if it really bothers you, you can carefully use an eye patch to re-train your right eye to be the dominant one.
>>
>>30470998
so without that kind of belt, its useless?
>>
>>30471105
if you dont have any alice compatible stuff the hooks useless
you could still ziptie the sheath to molle or whatever
>>
How smart is it to put a premium, top of the line Daniel Defense barrel and BCG in a PSA upper and lower?

All the other parts don't matter as much right?
>>
File: PALADIN.jpg (70KB, 1230x649px) Image search: [Google]
PALADIN.jpg
70KB, 1230x649px
>>30471100
Thanks mate, I figured I was worrying about nothing. But it doesn't hurt to ask.
Have another pic from /tg/
>>
>>30469038
You need a passport photo that is less than 1 year old.

Just have one taken at walgreens. Tape it to your form 1. And send it in.
>>
>>30471160
nah, gonna leave the bayonet on my gun. Took off the hook so it doesnt scratch it. May take the frog off the scabbard too.
>>
What's a good poorfag double barrel shotgun?
>>
>>30471213
It really shouldn't matter much as long as the head spacing is correct.
>>
>>30469038
In relation to OP's question, I have a friend that swears up and down the new ATF guidelines will require a new photo being taken every two years to be sent in to the ATF, and I have been trying to tell him that they just want a photo taken in the past two years if you are transferring something. Has anyone seen ANYTHING in relation to that?

Also, what do they do nowadays if you add or remove someone from a trust? Do you have to update the ATF with the new trust documents?
>>
I bought a PWS buffer tube kit for my AR... the fucking end plate tab seems to be set lower than the hole in the receiver. I tried a friends end plate and it worked fine.

Should I just file the bottom of the tab lip so it slots in the receiver?
>>
File: happening28.jpg (23KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
happening28.jpg
23KB, 600x450px
What is a proven method of installing a barrel (using tools I already have)?
I might buy an armorer's tool, use it once, and then get a refund--is that shady?
How important is it to check headspace?
Why do I need an upper receiver vice block clamp?
Have you ever rented time on a drill press?

/arg/ is full of tripfags, wat do?
>Polymer80 Phoenix2 polymer 80% lower
>New Frontier polymer lpk
>Shockwave Blade + KAK kit
>Anderson Lightweight Sport upper
>Aero Quantum M-LOK 9" handguard
>Faxon 7.5" gov't profile 300 BLK nitride barrel
>KAK Flash Can
>AIM lightweight NiB bolt carrier group
>PA Micro Dot
>nitride low profile gas block
>pistol length gas tube
>milspec charging handle
I estimated under 5 lbs with an unloaded mag.

>Bonus question
A place near me offers laser engraving. What would you get on the lower?
>>
File: 1464974816405.jpg (52KB, 428x383px) Image search: [Google]
1464974816405.jpg
52KB, 428x383px
>>30469038
I'm a recovering liberal and I want to get into firearms as a hobby and possible gone defense. I admit I know nothing about guns but want to learn and wouldn't mind tinkering around and learning how to maintain one I have a bunch of questions and didn't want to waste space making a thread.

1.i originally wanted to do archery cause it's more physically demanding from what I can tell. From a/fit/ stand point what would be the best gun for me. Im looking for a heavy weight and recoil I suppose. Please serious replies I don't want responses with mini guns and missile launchers and shit. I was looking at an m9 it's the only gun I can recall ever hearing good things about for reliability. But aesthetically I don't really dig it and I'm not even sure pistols are going to be my thing.

My gf was in to rifles in highschool so I'm sure if we go to a range that would be her thing and I wouldn't my own so I was leaning towards a pistol or some sort of auto/semi auto weapon

2. How effective are rubber bullets? I love the thought of non lethal self defense and I've done some light research and I'm aware they can still kill off close enough or under certain conditions

3. Might sound dumb but I'm also into martial arts is there a firearm that goes hand in hand with hand to hand?

Sorry if I triggered anyone i new b and want to get into it, thank you.
>>
Should I get the EoTech 512 or Aimpoint Pro for my AR15? I only plan shooting it 100 yards max.
>>
>>30476474
Here is what the engraving service looks like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j4W53zPSoLY
>>
So im 19, and want a handgun. I know i can buy from a gun show (I'm pretty sure, anyway), but I'm pretty sure i have to be 21 to buy pistol ammo. What do?
>>
>>30476555
1. Get a milsurp rifle. Either a Mosin 91/30, M44 Mosin, Yugo Mauser, or Garand. They are big, heavy, and typically have a stout recoil.
2. If you are an American, and you have to shoot someone, always shoot to kill. You can end up in jail for warning shots(felony I believe), shooting to wound(get sued by victim), and using less lethal ammo(sued by victim).
If it comes to the point where you have to shoot them, it's gotten too serious and you put them down HARD.
3. Not really. Google obrez and look for the nunchucks picture.
>>
>>30476861
Buy it online. Even if it says you have to be 21 on their site, it's not like they check that
>>
>>30476861
You can't buy from a dealer. Only private sales can you buy one under 21.
Don't get in trouble or caught with it or you're fucked regardless of how you got it. If you need pistol ammo, pretend it's for a pistol caliber rifle. Some places are intelligent enough to know those exist and will sell to you.
>>
>>30476875
They will at the gun store he transfers it to.
>>
>>30476555
>did you just call us /b/
To answer your questions,

1. Weight and recoil are inversely proportional. An M9 is heavy (and reliable), but has little recoil BECAUSE of it's weight. If you want more recoil, you want a caliber that has a lot of muzzle momentum (not muzzle energy, although they are related). Revolvers tend to have higher power rounds than semiauto pistols.

You aren't going to be getting a full auto gun, not without living in the right states and money/paperwork.

You want a gun that'll fuck you up with recoil? Smith & Wesson 500. But for the love of god try it out first, and MAKE SURE YOU'RE WILLING TO BUY THE AMMO. a gun that you can't afford to shoot is useless, and you won't be any good with it.

2. Not very. You want nonlethal defense, shoot them in the leg. Or arm. Or get pepper gel.

3. Any pistol for close quarters. Bayonetted Kalashnikov rifle for badassery.
>>
>>30476474
Headspacing isn't too big of an issue just make sure your bolt locks in properly to the chamber.

As for the tools I bought them to build my only AR figuring it'd be nicer to have them incase I do another build or i need to help friends do it. Honestly they're not that much more expensive and it doesn't hurt to have them to help work on your gun or build another. Upper receiver vice block is a huge music if you are putting the barrel on it yourself. Prevents you from twisting your upper
>>
>>30470090
Absofuckingluetly
>>
>>30476912
Original question guy here, i don't live in cuckistan so i can get ammo shipped to my house. It's not an FFL item

>>30476898
Why would i be fucked if I'm legally allowed to own it?
>>
>>30470090
Nah, i didn't. I got a mauser m48 for my first funs, and I'm building a Kalashnikov rifle next
>>
>>30476951
>>30476951
>Calling us /b/
No my phone makes no sense auto correcting.
And it doesn't need to be high recoil I was just thinking about it somewhat helping gains even if it's only a small bit. With that cleared up would you recommend a pistol or revolver in that case? .Thanks for answering my question
>>
>>30476680
>should I buy a fraudulently marketed, proven faulty, POS or an Aimpoint?

Is this b8?
>>
File: 20160627_203605.jpg (1MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20160627_203605.jpg
1MB, 3264x1836px
Finally in at the right time. Friend found this arisaka at a yard sale and traded a MUR upper for it. He has since traded it out for about $600.

He was certain it was a fully functional receiver that someone mated a training stock and barrel to. I am beyond certain it was just a weird trainer. I can dump pics if needed but I'll start with the top of the receiver.

Two digit serial, no other proof marks anywhere.
>>
How well did Poland fight during WW2? What were some critical battles that they took part in, either to fight enemies, or to protect their country?
>>
Looking to buy an SKS in Wisconsin. What can I expect to pay for one? I don't mind a fixer-upper, I just want a good deal.
>>
>>30477051
Tbh it probably won't help much for gains either way. Maybe if you strap a 10lb weight to the gun. As far as pistols vs revolvers:

Pistols tend to be higher capacity (wonder nines have 15-20 rounds), lower energy. Revolvers tend to be 5-6 rounds (8 if it's a .22, but that's kinda stupid), higher energy, and you don't have to worry about about failure to feed, although any decent pistol will be plenty reliable anyway
>>
>>30477371
Well I figured holding and aiming a 10 -30(I have no idea how much these with) pound hunk of metal while practicing at range would require more strength than a dinky little 5 pound thing. Thinking about it as much as I aesthetically like handguns more done sort of rifle WOULD be better
>>
>>30476951
>You want nonlethal defense, shoot them in the leg. Or arm
No
>>
>>30477537
Not him but why not?
>>
>>30477512
You could always look up the specs for common handguns are rifles. Rifles weigh like 7 or 8 lbs average, but could weigh less with the right furniture, or much, much more if it's, say, an AX50.

Handguns weigh a lot less.
>>
>>30477512
Oh and be wary of chick lean
>>
>>30477659
I'm fully aware of chicken being lean. I am from /fit/ you know.
>>
>>30477595
>Easy to miss and hit bystanders
>Can hit an artery and kill them anyways
>>
>>30477684
>can hit an artery
So? "Nonlethal" defense is a legal thing more than anything. If I'm in court I'd rather be able to say i was trying to just wound him to get away

If the fucker dies, meh
>>
Is there any 308 gas blocks that are the height of a dpms Oracle upper or anything that will go on the gas block that will make it that height?
>>
>>30476555
1. Listen, the weight/recoil of the firearm isn't going to get you fit. There are plenty of fat guys who shoot big guns. Now, if you're fit that means you can shoot heavier guns more effectively, and lighter guns (ar-15s for example) very effectively. Don't look at a gun to make you stronger, get stronger so you can better use the gun.

2. Do not use rubber bullets. You shouldn't be using a gun unless your situation warrants use of lethal force, and if you do decide you need to shoot to defend yourself you need the most effective means possible (real bullets). Plus, you can get sued for maiming someone with rubber bullets.

3. Army Combatatives, there's no one gun that fits into martial arts except for mabye a revolver because pistols can be pushed out of battery and made not to fire if pressed against someone.

This was a little triggering, though
>>
>>30477946
If you're worried about legalities, the best thing is to kill them. Reason being you would only use lethal force if your life was truly threatened, right? Or to put it another way: if your life was truly threatened, why wouldn't you do whatever it takes to survive? Don't forget "dead men tell no tales."

What happens if less lethal doesn't subdue your attacker? Guess you're fucked. But even if he is subdued, you're still fucked when he takes you to civil court (where standards of guilt are a lot lower than in criminal court).

>/k/ - Legal Advice
>>
Is the AR-57 a viable choice for HD or is it a maymay upper?
>>
File: what the fuck is this bullshit.jpg (54KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck is this bullshit.jpg
54KB, 500x500px
Oh god what the fuck. The boxes of ammo are not what was pictured online. They do not say "short barrel" anywhere on them, which is very concerning as I am shooting them out of a snubbie.

Is this the same ammo? Its the same 53921 serial code on the ammo. Do they make multiple types of 53921? Why does the box not say short barrel like in the picture?!!
>>
>>30478920
check the UPC code. if its not the same, its prolly not the same thing.
>>
>>30471213
literally all that matters in an AR is a good barrel, good bolt, and good trigger. everything else is just holding stuff together.
A 400 dollar billet upper/lower does the same thing as a 100 dollar psa, except look good and maybe be lefty friendly
>>
can ak74/47 magwells take ak47/74 magazines?
whats the difference, besides '74 mags being skinnier?
>>
I'm an hk fan, and earlier I went to a gun show. I held a usp for the first time, and it felt really light and cheap. At first I thought it was airsoft. Or something. I own a p30sk, and I love it. Was this some kind of knock off gun or am I retarded?
>>
>>30478920
it doesn't matter. LE boxes are the tits. good ammo for typically half price of 20 round boxes the jews sell
>>
File: 1436827691645.jpg (19KB, 267x200px) Image search: [Google]
1436827691645.jpg
19KB, 267x200px
Quick question: dad got a 1911 that is 8+1 in nevada and might take it to Cali for a little while because he works there for weeks at a time. It says on the case it's non CA legal. Is this because it's 8 round mags or because it's not on the Cali roster? All I can find about mag caps is 10 rounds with no distinction between handguns and rifles.
>>
>>30479458
Illegal because of the cali roster. You can have up to 10 whole rounds here in cali! Even in a handgun. You can also have one in the chamber for 11 rounds total. Imagine that! 11 rounds!

There is no difference between handguns and rifles as far as magazines go. You CAN have shotguns that have 2 independant feeding tubes that you can switch between for more than 10 bullets, like each tube holds 7 so you get 14 in the gun legally.
>>
>>30479634
>>30479634
I thought so, just wanted to make sure. Luckily the roster only applies to new sales from dealers so it doesn't matter for him. What about registration though, for got to ask about that too. Will cops and/or ranges harass him if it's not registered even if he isn't a resident?
>>
>>30479694
Im pretty sure import of any gun into the state is illegal if its not on roster. Its a felony even. Otherwise every jackass ever would just drive to nevada and buy an LCP at a gun show.

You are not required to register anything that isnt an assault weapon. Registration happens at time of sale.

Technically speaking you are supposed to register it when you bring it into the state if it actually is on the roster, but there is no way for them to check that it isnt a pre-registration gun as far as I know.

The Calguns forum is good for these sorts of questions. If it isnt on the roster im pretty sure its illegal to bring it here.
>>
>>30473539
You only submit the photo once
>>
>>30477946

>If the situation didn't warrant lethal force why the fuck were you shooting at them?

Enjoy prison.
>>
I need to get the gas block off my AR-15. I used blue loctite on the sets screws, and those came out fine, but I now see that the loctite went under the gas block and has adhered it to the barrel.I tried pulling it off, and that didnt work. I heated it with a heat gun, and that didnt seem to help. I thought that soaking it in rubbing alcohol might work, but I am worried that the amount of time it will take will cause rust. Any ideas, /k/ bros?
>>
Would a mosin nagat be enough to have if SHTF? Is it smart to stockpile 7.62x54r?
>>
File: 1442136994196.jpg (109KB, 738x640px) Image search: [Google]
1442136994196.jpg
109KB, 738x640px
>>30481995
I hope this doesn't sound insulting, but because you asked this question I am going to assume you don't have a lot of money to spend on firearms. If you want to prepare for SHTF you will need something more suited for self defense, but the mosin could still fill a role as a hunting rifle. I would suggest a semi automatic rifle like an AR or AK. Personally I like shotguns for home defense, and you can likely get one of those for relatively little money. If you have a nearby academy sporting goods store, you can get this http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/mossberg-maverick-88-security-12-gauge-pump-action-shotgun#repChildCatid=298704
I have one and I love it. If you don't live near one of these stores, that shotgun, and many other pump actions can be found at low prices elsewhere.
>>
>>30481109
Dissolve with methylene chloride or heat it up and torque it.
>>
>>30481109
>rubbing alcohol
>causing rust

Jesus and you own a gun
>>
>>30482192
Its not 100% alcohol, dumbass. It still has water in it, which is why I worry about rust when soaking it for a long time.
>>
>>30482165
Yeah, just now getting the ability to buy funs. I'll def' check it out. Is it smart to stockpile ammunition, or is that just a myth?
>>
>>30477216
If you have a lot of pawn shops and lgs, look around and you might get lucky. If you buy online, you're looking at $400-450 plus shipping and transfer. At that price, I would go with an AK unless you just really really want an SKS.
>>
>>30482239
If you are concerned about Shtf, then stockpiling is the way to go. It is much easier to have it on hand, than try to scavenge it.
>>
>>30469775
ACOGs are OK. I recently took mine off my gucci rifle in exchange for an aimpoint because it wasn't right for what I wanted. ACOGs are great optics for combat distance shooting though
>>
>>30469838
I like the Comp M4s, 5 years constant on off 1 high quality AA
>>
>>30482224
Hey dumbass, it's water content is so low that as long as you wipe it down after and reapply oil as the isopropyl alcohol will have dissolved it
>>
>>30477081
>traded a MUR upper for a $150 gun

he fucked up
>>
>>30471100

>Utilizing your full field of vision is a mall ninja thing

So, >>30470920 he starts off as retard and ends off with a good point. Retrain your eye dominance. It does matter.
>>
>>30482183
Thanks. I will have to try that out.
>>
>>30482331
You could have just lead with that helpful information instead of being a dick. I tried soaking and drying it off soon after, but it did not work. Im worried about soaking it for a long period, like overnight. I read a few accounts of people soaking knives to dissolve adhesive, and it causing rust.
>>
Thinking about getting a POSP 6x42 D PRO from Kalinka for my 23" Vepr in 54r.

Is this a good choice for a currently poorfag?
>>
>>30482367
>calls me a retard
>thinks that both eyes open matters at the range

hurr durr, must be why olympic shooters always have both eyes open, oh wait they don't. Fuck off with your /k/ bullshit. The ONLY time it matters is FIBUA or MOUT, hence why I called you a fucking mallninja, you mallninja faggot.
>>
>>30470090
It's a great start and cheap. The general recommendation is if your new to shooting go small so small caliber rifles are good such as .22, .223 and other pistol caliber rifles. Low recoil so you can work on shooting better. If you have a bit of shooting experience with friends but just don't own yet then it's whatever really assuming you have your fundamentals.
>>
>>30482597
Olympic shooters shoot with both eyes open you stupid fuck.

Although they typically have something to block their vision.
>>
>>30482688
>both eyes open
>something to block their vision

/k/.... /k/ never changes.
>>
>>30469474
i'm pretty old and i don't even remember reliable rifles retailing for under $50

>>30470113
don't see why not
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTE79DQBH-U

>>30477216
300-400 online
http://www.southernohiogun.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=sks&x=0&y=0
>>
>>30476474
Build looks nice. Working on a short 300blk myself while I wait on suppressor and SBR papers. You planning on getting a can and SBR too? Also I imagine barrel install with go based on your forend, but if it's a standard nut I'd just keep the armorer's tool, might come in handy in the future. The one I'm getting on just uses a plain crow's foot for the barrel nut.

not sure if you care about builds, but mine:
>PSA stripped blem lower
>pistol buffer tube
>VLTOR MUR upper
>BHW 9.5" 300BLK barrel
>Odinworks 9.5" MLOK O2 Lite
>STD 300blk brake (while I wait for can)
>Failzero NiB BCG
>Odinworks adj low pro gas block
>AXTS Raptor CH
>HVA Ambi mag release and enhanced bolt catch
>Elftmann match trigger
>Rainier BUIS
>Probably a PA 3x 300blk prism scope
>>
What's the "Glock 19" of reloading presses?
>>
File: 1450493871028.gif (587KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1450493871028.gif
587KB, 500x281px
I was the nogunz faggot from the last thread. Thanks to the Anon who was helping me, I ended up deciding on a Marlin 60 that was in my price range. I also wanted to get some sort of lock for it, and I was looking at a trigger lock. I heard that it come standard with the firearm, is that true? Or will I need to buy on separately?
>>
>>30484055
typically whatever you buy will come with an action lock of some sort
>>
>>30482985
>>30482248
Thanks! Found one in a store for 275, so I feel good about it.
>>
>>30484075
Is it any good? There are small children in the house, so I just want to make sure. I wont keep it around loaded or anything, but I just want to make sure it cant be used with the lock in place.
>>
>>30482707
There's a difference.

t. neuroscientist
>>
>>30484114
The action locks are usually just a lock where it's a giant loop that prevents the bolt from physically closing.

They aren't the toughest things in the world in terms of a determined adult with tools to get past, but they'll keep a kid out.
>>
>>30469038
How i do educate myself on guns when my state has strict gun laws? Is there anypoint in being interested in guns if they arent obtainable?
>>
>>30484141
great, thanks Anon.
>>
Can anyone tell me the differences between BCM's standard barrels and hammer forged barrels?
Anyone have any experience?
>>
Reposting here because I seen another one. Didn't know this one was still up
I have a question.

The army/marines have their own "marksmanship" badge. Is there any civilian equivalent? I've always wanted to get military training, but alas, do not meet the requirements.
>>
>>30484205
The military marksmanship badges are internal records kept for qualifying at the range. Everybody in the military has some level of marksmanship badge, it's not really a big deal.

You can print out the paper targets and do it yourself if you want to simulate a military qualification.

If you want a "civilian badge" that anybody will actually care about, win some 3-gun stuff.
>>
>>30484245
I've never actually heard of 3 gun stuff. Thank you!
>>
>>30484186
$76
I'm not joking
>>
>>30469038
Help me not be s fudd /k/.

If there is no federal gun registry, than why do I have to pass a background check at fun stores and why does every gun I own have a serial number? What are they for if not a registry?
>>
Why are SCAR 17s almost nonexistent on gunbroker, sold out everywhere, and the few I can find cost $4,000 now?

I checked two days ago and there were plenty at $2,700, the normal asking price.
>>
>>30484783
Short version: the gun dealer is required to keep the paperwork you fill out when you buy a gun, for x amount of years in a "bound book" and produce it when subpoenaed as part of a criminal investigation. It's not a registry but more of a means for law enforcement to trace a firearm, via serial number, back to its last FFL sale. A registry is where the government has your name and guns on file in a centralized database or something.

Somewhat plausible conspiracy theory: BATFE is illegally copying said paperwork and storing it. IMHO they would if they could, but they are too incompetent and underfunded to pull it off.
>>
>>30484783
>why do I have to pass a background check
constitutional arguments aside, the same reason you have to show ID to buy alcohol/tobacco. innocent until proven guilty is only in court. point of sale is not court.

>why does every gun I own have a serial number?
Because manufacturers want to be able to assess issues should a defect happen
Or, because you didn't make it yourself

>What are they for if not a registry?
Background checks are supposed to keep felons from buying guns. Serial numbers are for manufacturers to keep track of their shit, in case said shit hits the fan and explodes on someone's hand or face.

I don't like any restrictions on guns, like most of /k/, but basic background checks and serial numbers aren't part of a registry and aren't really anything to worry about.

tl;dr yes, there's probably a database with your background checks and gun serials in it, but no one really gives a shit unless you're flagged as ISIS
>>
File: hunterWithBinos.jpg (104KB, 400x466px) Image search: [Google]
hunterWithBinos.jpg
104KB, 400x466px
Why do hunters mix and match camo with hi-vis orange?

Do they want to be seen or not? What purpose does this combination serve?
>>
What cerakote color is the most faithful to colt gray?
>>
>>30485005
Game animals don't see orange the way you do. It's all camo to them.
>>
>>30483270
>not sure if you care about builds, but mine:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cISYzA36-ZY
>>
>>30469038
>get new acog
>forget my mags/ammo at my house so i cant sight it.
>just shoot pistol

so they did it at 100 YARDS instead of 100 METERS

how many clicks up should i go for it to be where it should be at 100 meters? i wont be able to go to the range for a while for now. 100 yards is 91.44 meters i dont really know where to go from there. 8.56 meters is over 300 inches so i doubt ill have to twist that shit over 100 times.
>>
>>30487276
i should add ive never messed with stuff like these, i usually used dots, i dont know why i bought this really.
>>
So when the iraqis emplaced machineguns down the long axis of entrance hallways,

if you're breaching and the point guy gets hit, does the second guy still run into the fatal funnel to keep up momentum?
>>
What is a good ar-15 to buy? I'm not to keen on building one with all the parts I want. Is palmetto state armory good?
>>
File: 53353.jpg (109KB, 1000x297px) Image search: [Google]
53353.jpg
109KB, 1000x297px
Are lever action rifles worth owning at all?

I was thinking of picking one up for my next rifle but they often seem far more expensive than they need to be, especially Henry brand lever guns.

Are they a meme or are they fun to have?
>>
>>30484885
gunpocolypse in kali most likely

>>30484990
serial numbers are a legal requirement on all new made firearms since 1968
>>
>>30487210
Not what I intended, but pretty much, yeah. I'm just a little over-excited about it since it's my first actual build that's not from a complete upper.
>>
>>30487676
psa has good parts
>>
>>30469038
Who makes the best 1911?
>>
How do you guys grip your pistols when you shoot? I don't know if its the firmness my grip or what, but about a third to half of my shots in a mag end up missing high. I've practiced my trigger pull so that I can keep my sights on target when I squeeze the trigger, but I don't know what's making me miss and I'd appreciate any advice on proper technique, or just what works for you.
>>
File: wheel.gif (31KB, 450x455px) Image search: [Google]
wheel.gif
31KB, 450x455px
>>30489718
>see
>memorize
>teach
>>
I work near Ybor city down here in Florida, what's a good handgun under $350 I can put in my glove compartment? I'm noguns rn but some of my coworkers have gotten mugged in the last week
>>
File: sighting-error-chart2.jpg (319KB, 1200x1052px) Image search: [Google]
sighting-error-chart2.jpg
319KB, 1200x1052px
>>30489718
Also, this.
>>
>>30489713
Probably Wilson combat. 1911's mostly are all good. Customs might be better to your though.
>>
File: best kitty.jpg (1MB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
best kitty.jpg
1MB, 2048x1152px
>>30469038
Why is /k/ slow to adopt the rational behavior of using a lightweight handguard instead of an absurdly long one just for looks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9WON0LEguU
>>
>>30489799
Just for looks?

>practicality, stability, and balance
vs
>trying to make things AESTHETIC
>>
File: NorwegiansolderHK416.jpg (709KB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
NorwegiansolderHK416.jpg
709KB, 3888x2592px
Ok, so this is bugging me, the MR223(civilian hk416) is listed as .223 remmington. Many people claim it should shoot 5.56 without any trouble or worry. But others are saying it can fuck the gun up. Any thoughts? I see no reason why a HK gun shouldn't be able to shoot 5.56 even tho its listed as .223 in specs. Even seen people shoot 5.56 with it, and the American version(MR556) is listed as 5.56, so I have a feeling it's just me being eurocucked by political correctness because 5.56 is "le dangerous military style ammo".

Would really like to know, since HK is (planning on) releasing MR223's in 11" and 14" versions.
>>
>>30489855
Any Euro built or designed 223 will handle 5.56 with no issue. CIP does not consider them seperate cartridges.
In addition any modern .223 will easily handle 5.56. They are overbuilt to prevent blow ups and liability.
>>
>>30489869
Ok, thank you. Been bugging me for a while, especially since its easier for me to obtain 5.56
>>
File: rtn_ncs_products_lras3a_img.jpg (15KB, 200x120px) Image search: [Google]
rtn_ncs_products_lras3a_img.jpg
15KB, 200x120px
>>30489818
>implying stability/balance

>im-fucking-plying

Shit man, put a better fucking brake on it and fine tune the buffer if you want that.

There is literally no reason to add that weight to your rifle.
>>
>>30487645

Yes. If he's in the doorway (as he should be, second man is right on the first man's ass) he's going in. Trying to turn around would cost him extra time inside the fatal funnel and ultimately be worse or as bad as standing inside the building, but out of the funnel.
>>
>>30489972
There is literally no reason to use formula fuel in F1 cars.

You can't cherry pick your arguments with absolutes and then discount mine because I do the same. The gun/rifle, properly a WEAPON SYSTEM, has many different needs/roles (that's why there are so many different classes of guns, shithead) that to say with an absolute that lightweight hand guards are better is just plain wrong. It's the same with scopes, you don't buy a 3.4x scope to shoot a kilometer, and you don't get a 12x scope to kill raccoons that wander into your backyard.
>>
>>30487645
this
>>30489981
That extra time is hesitation which is what gets you killed. On top of that, depending on how many guys you have with you, when they see the 2nd turn a run like a bitch all it's going to do is (if you're lucky) lower morale or (most likely) cause them to turn a run with you, under the assumption the first man went down due to a threat that you can't neutralize, hence you turning around a running like a bitch.

Death before dishonor.
>>
.357 mag for home defense/general purpose?

A bit enamored with magnums and I heard full Dirty Harry .44 has too much kick to really have anything for followup shots.
>>
>>30489753
lc9, makarov, hi-point, and huh, that seems to be legal in fl without a carry license.
>>
>>30490115
Okay, then just give a reason why you would want a heavier rifle.
>>
>>30485005
Camo breaks up the silhouette, blaze orange is so you don't get shot by other humans. Game animals see it all in shades of grey supposedly. The silhouette of a vest is far less spooky than the silhouette of a human to durr.
>>
>>30490850
Just off the top of my head?
>recoil
>poke and shoot

Google it and you can get a slew of websites detailing that (just as I stated) different firearms have different ideal weights, because they have different roles. Are you shooting paper? Hunting large game? Covering tens of kilometers a day on a foot patrol?

There are way, way too many variables to state absolutes like you do.

>http://www.fieldandstream.com/blogs/the-gun-nuts/weighty-matters-light-rifles-vs-heavy-rifles

First result on Google. I'll cede that half the article is mostly opinion if you cede that there are indeed reasons to carry a heavier rifle, even if the reasons got less and less as time (and technology as a result) progressed, and as composite materials and other, lighter materials that can do the same job as previous ones came into the mainstream and were no longer military RND/Patent. (GPS ringing any bells? The military had that shit for 20 years before a nav error killed like 300 people, and only then was it released to the public, because now they knew about it)
>>
File: ARPARTS[1].jpg (30KB, 600x460px) Image search: [Google]
ARPARTS[1].jpg
30KB, 600x460px
When selling an AR, am I better off just parting it out? From what I've seen, parts seem to demand a higher premium than the same set of parts assembled, but I'm not certain that's true.
>>
>>30491020
Depends on what parts you have. Obviously high-end parts are better sold individually, in the same sense that my graphics card is worth more by itself than when it is inserted into my PC.

When it comes to the more expensive parts, the sum of them is greater than the whole. When it comes to the cheaper parts, it's better to have a fully functioning weapon than one that is shit except for one or two parts.
>>
>>30491020
depends on how much of a franken gun it is. parting it out would be better unless its a colt
>>
Should I build an 80% 1911? I am thinking about ordering the 416r Stainless kit at link related.

https://1911builders.com/collections/416r-stainless-steel-kits/products/copy-of-1911-80-full-size-aluminium-5-build-kit-with-phantom-fixture
>>
>>30491128
Not when you can get this
>http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-mil-spec-45-acp/

For like $300 cheaper. I got one and haven't looked back since. Haven't had any problems and I'm sure I'm past 2,000 rounds now, but again, I keep it regularly maintained and cleaned (because I don't have anything else in my life, so my weapons are my pride and joy)

I honestly don't see what building one is going to do for you that an SA Mil-spec one won't. It's not like you're going to Best Korea to shoot some 5'5" manlets with 45 year old AKs.
>>
>>30491128
unless the only reason you want it is unserialized ghost gun its a million times better to buy a finished 1911
>>
>>30491020
keep in mind price of shipping and time it takes to sell. depending on parts, it may be a wash
>>
>>30491187
>>30491176
The main reason is that I want the project. I also built an 80% AR, which also ended up costing more than it could have been built for using a stripped lower... Sooo.

See to me looking at the components, it would allow me to get a pretty high quality 1911 for ~$1200 (including sights and a couple magazines).

>http://www.springfield-armory.com/products/1911-mil-spec-45-acp/
There are several things on that particular model that I would want to change- hammer and trigger (for purely shallow cosmetic reasons) and the sights (I want to put trijicon sights on it). By the time I would have it done, the price would be about the same as the 80% I was thinking about (if I sell the jigs). But I do get what you are saying, there are finished ones that would probably be better on my budget and even at higher quality.
>>
>>30491245
I'm just saying that is one that I purchased, half because I'm a sucker for the original trigger design and thumb safety. The newer ones stick out a fuck ton and (to me) ruin the look. Definitely look around online for one that fits your purposes and FOR SURE check for used 1911s around your town (I'd stay away from shit like Armslist and Gunbroker, but that's just me, I don't trust random fucks to sell me what they say they are) , people are dumping them (around here anyway, walked past 20+ at a gun show on a single rack. I'm in WI)

Consider all factors besides price.
>>
>>30491291
Ok I got you.

I'll admit my deepest reason to do it... I like the clean look without brandings or warning labels engraved on the side.. BUT I actually am going to a gun show in a few days so I'll scour the booths first to see if I can find something to my liking.
>>
File: 591146.jpg (135KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
591146.jpg
135KB, 880x660px
Anyone ever have issues with 223 TulAmmo?
>>
>>30491363
I can see the appeal, but if that's your only reason, it's most likely cheaper just to get a new slide/grips and sell the old ones, or see if you can negotiate a deal with a *local* gun shop owner (doesnt have to be in your town, just obviously dont go to any chain gun stores to look, they fucking gouge like cunts, especially when you come in asking for something specific, they know that they can raise the price, because if you came in with a specific thing in mind, then you haven't found it elsewhere) to get a deal that doesn't include those parts (not likely).
>>
>>30491399
Once again I know thats really the deciding factor- is it worth the added cost to get the clean look? Probably not. That's why I'm kind of defaulting to the argument on price for the quality.

If I do end up buying a finished one, I am going to get it in a different state because mine requires registering handguns unless you bought it in another state. (and I live right by the border ;))
>>
>>30491446
It really depends on what you're going to use it for. I hate to be a dick but deciding on a make and model based on whether or not there are markings (there are always fucking markings) is a silly reason to choose a weapon.

What are you buying it for? Just for the fuck of it?
>>
>>30491479
Yes just for range use. I have no intention of ever carrying a gun made entirely of steel with a 5" barrel and I have an AR for home defense.

Also, while the aesthetic is a silly reason to buy it, do you see any actual problems with it? Assuming you do the finishing properly, you will end up with a pretty high quality 1911.
>>
>>30491396
Yes.

My friend's cousin once snorted the powder inside and has never been the same ever since. For some reason, he shaved his head in really odd patches, wears the same Mickey Mouse sweater every single day, even during hot weather, and uses a milk jug with the bottom cut out as a makeshift megaphone. He's always riding around on his pink bicycle, screaming at people in what I'm convinced is brief snippets of the Punjabi language.
>>
Hey faggots while we are talking 80% guns has anyone used a polymer80 Glock frame?
>>
is ammoseek the best place to look for best cost per round on bulk ammo?

also...
>>304913963
can we get a non-downie answer to this question please?
>>
>>30470090
I do not, however I'm not underage or a massive faggot, therefore, I'm not /k/

Get your first gun to be a practical one. Obviously the most practical for most people is .22

You plan on hunting? What do you plan on hunting?

Home defense?

Commies!?

Conceal carry?

Open carry?

High risk carry?

Just plan on "getting into shooting?" and to the desert or woods for plinking soda cans?

Want something you can add too and take away as you progress in your ability and finances?

Literally a lot of shit to consider before that first purchase, of course if you're impatient and do not want to make a "bad" purchase buy a .22 I only recently sold my first .22
>>
/k/, I have a problem.

I keep wanting to buy stupid/impractical guns for shits and giggles.

Here are some of the stupid things I've wanted to buy:
>guns in obscure calibers (like some of FN Herstal's stuff; PS90, Five-seveN, etc.)
>a .410 break-action shotgun (I already have a 12ga pump-action, which can do a lot more things)
>a left-handed firearm of some kind, namely a bolt-action (I am not even a southpaw)
>some of Taurus/Rossi's more "interesting" firearms (Raging Judge, Circuit Judge, etc.)
>some of Chiappa's more "interesting" firearms (Rhino, Badger, X-Caliber, etc.)

What the fuck is wrong with me?
>>
>>30491503
I haven't had any problems, but then again like I said before, it's my range queen. I have other pistols/rifles that I can beat to shit and drop in the dirt and carry every day in my truck or holster. I bought that 1911 because I like the old style WWII look (even if it is just a wee bit off) and had a bit of disposable income after taxes last year.

You're right, doing it properly would net you a higher quality gun than what you're going to spend trying to get yourself a deal to avoid paying $1,100.

Again though, as just for range use, you can dump as much money into the look as you want, provided you don't want to hit anything past 75 feet.

Too many variables. To answer your question, I have not had any problems in the past year and a half I've owned it, but it hasn't been put through any serious, rigorous use besides firing maybe 300 rounds on the range one day. Aside from cleaning it and putting back into the case and the safe, I have no complaints.

It's the only gun I clean every. single. time. I come home with it after firing. I don't know why. I think maybe because it reminds me of the one I was supposed to get when I was younger that was my grandfathers in WWII before he died and my mom got rid of it because my dad is an idiot who tried to fire it into his own head (before I was born) and it just dry fired. It's like the spiritual successor to the guns and property I was supposed to get, before family shit happened and lawyers, blah blah blah.
>>
>>30491728
A rifle to take to the range to practice with. An investment in the sense I plan to use it for a long time.
>>
>>30487710
I had a 30 30 I really enjoyed.

They're top tier fun, and some could double as hunting rifles.

I would be interested in putting a large can on a lever .22 and using subsonic out of it. Because sneeky breeky.
>>
>>30491831
Depending on the age, and assuming you've spent a fair amount of time here, go bigger than a .22. I got my seven year old son a .22. My wife's sister got her husband a .22, but hes safety-retarded, so that makes sense.

If you have even a little bit of common sense and a modicum amount of safety sense, a 30 30 will do you great, like this anon said >>30491925
>>
>>30491707
ammo seek and slickguns are places i go.
>>30491738
i get some odd things in my mind from time to time your best bet? recognize its just a passing fancy and forget about it. id be stuck with a shitload of pointless guns if i followed every whim that came to me.
>>
>>30490189
I own a .357, I use it for home defense.

I bought it for carry, and it's too damn encumbering to carry regularly, too large to conceal when going into all those pesky NO GUNS places.

but I digress, it's fine to leave on your desk and check noises in the night with, although a rifle would be better, I'm too lazy when I'm half asleep. Maybe a locked nightstand if you have kids and you will actually take the key with you because they'll find it.
>>
>>30491960
I have three kids, the oldest is nine. They knew by three to keep their hands off Daddy's nightstand, dresser, closet, or even the fucking bedroom door.

Once I backslapped my oldest, I haven't even had to lock the bedroom door (I still do, but just saying, when it comes to kids, sometimes the only message that gets across is a red cheek)
>>
>>30491985
I dunno personally, as I have no children. Although the media has convinced me your children spend their entire day looking for bleach, pools, and guns to off themselves with. That being said, a gun in a drawer when someone has already made it inside your house is absolutely worthless.

>>30491831
An AR-15 is the ideal bigger rifle for what you just listed. Longevity, possible value increase, user friendly, light recoil, and most importantly commies.
>>
>>30492031
Nah, children are just looking for stimulation, of any kind. Dangerous or not, you were a kid once, did your parents take away your firecrackers and fireworks?

They key to having your kids behave is letting them have just enough danger with their fun so they don't seek out the adrenaline rush somewhere else, like your guns or medicine. The only reason they even know I'm carrying (and they know know of the pistol at that) is because they weren't supposed to be home, I came home early and plopped it on the table to make some coffee, and here they come running.

My oldest immediately "Dad dad dad dadadadadadada WHAAAAAT IS THIS ITS HEAVY AND HOW DO I OPEN THIS THING" (the holster. hes smart as fuck but can't work a button? sometimes I just have no faith, but I can't do that as a father....)

That was not a fun talk.
>>
>>30492067
>only know of the pistol at that*

Plus, how the fuck do I explain to my kids who are all under 10 that I work in an area with random death is a very real possibility?

I had to go with the "deadly ADULT TOY" angle. How old do kids get before they understand death and murder? Does anyone ever?

I was never prepared to be a father, I'm still their age in my head.
>>
>>30492093
>deadly ADULT TOY

I just realized how bad that is going to sound to you guys. I never ONCE used the word "toy" in my explanation to them. IIRC I used the word "tool". Don't touch daddy's hammers and saws, right? Don't touch daddy's other tools that he keeps in the house!
>>
can I drive across state borders to shoot guns? be it either to go to a range or privately owned land. or is that a big nono like cross state private sales?
>>
>>30470090
Nah, my first gun was a Shield and I regret nothing
>>
>>30470920
Turn your head slightly to the right so your right eye's line of sight is interrupted by your mose. It helps that I'm jewish
>>
File: 71vHuqY2cpL._SX522_[1].jpg (21KB, 522x357px) Image search: [Google]
71vHuqY2cpL._SX522_[1].jpg
21KB, 522x357px
>>30492093
>deadly ADULT TOY
>>
>>30492109
>>30492093
>>30492067

This is 4chan, and you shouldn't probably take advice from here.

But anyway, since you reminded me of my time as a child here you go. Do not under any circumstances tell you children not to do something without a thorough explanation that you verified they understand.

After all, your "No" only means "Not in front of me"
>>
>>30492194
They understand until they get into those "kid" moods where just not a goddamn thing goes through their head. Which I can totally understand. I don't keep the pistol anywhere that's accessible anymore, but what do I risk, the fact that I can't get to my pistol in time for an HD situation, or risk one of my kids hurting themselves or another?

I'll tell you the latter is far more likely. I've got a baseball bat behind the headboard anyway. Won't do much against an armed intruder, but (knock on wood) again, what are the chances? I don't go around flaunting my semi-upper class status in front of the negroes like the dumbass down the block who bought a new TV and didn't tear up the box and turn it inside out so the brown is showing outward when he puts his garbage on the street.

Got robbed the next. fucking. day.
>>
>>30476555
Read The Book of Two Guns
Thread posts: 184
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.