[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What would you prefer for bear defense, a magnum revolver OR

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: bear.jpg (48KB, 768x511px) Image search: [Google]
bear.jpg
48KB, 768x511px
What would you prefer for bear defense, a magnum revolver OR a 9mm auto + bear spray?
>>
>>30338496
12 gauge with slugs. If we speaking hanguns only .44 magnum
>>
.44mag out of a lever carbine, plus bear spray. Fuck bears.
>>
File: 1465445737560.jpg (116KB, 500x354px) Image search: [Google]
1465445737560.jpg
116KB, 500x354px
>>30338496
That pepper spay will protect you just fine on its own, anon. Trust me.
>>
>9x18 makarov.
Accept nothing else.
>>
>>30338522

>.44 mag

If you could have a rifle and you choose a .44 you're retarded. .308 or bigger would be the only sane choice, or a 12g is always good.
>>
>>30338530
Are you going to stab it with a broken vodka bottle after you've ran out of ammo?
>>
>>30338557
Well the .44 lever is the only long gun I actually have right now, so until I get a shotgun...

Speaking of which, how do VEPR-12s do as slug guns?
>>
>>30338496
I think for defence against fatass faggots, I do need the bear spray and that meme pistol with 20 round mags.
>>
>>30338496
9mm with bear spray. I don't want killing the bear to be my only option.

Shouldn't be too undergunned with +P+ Xtreme Penetrators
>>
File: 14313.jpg (29KB, 479x400px) Image search: [Google]
14313.jpg
29KB, 479x400px
>>
45 colt handloaded to above 44 magnum pressure.
out of a colt brand colt single action army.
I'll take out the whole block.
>>
>>30338496
9mm + mace. I'd dual wield that shit like pic related. 9mm will have greater capacity and less recoil, therefore likely more hits on target with good placement, and +P FMJ will have decent penetration.

I'd wait with the bear mace until the sucker got close, then spray it, and take my last few shots once it was disoriented.
>>
>people unironically thinking a 9mm will do fuck all to a grizzly

Fuck m8, there are people who tried to take on Grizzlies with a 12g and 00 buck and still got mauled to death before the bear eventually died a long slow death.
>>
>>30338496

Bear mace is statistically way more effective than a gun.

Bears are fucking tough as hell. Bear mace overloads their very sensitive nose, and drives them into a state of confusion, preventing attacks.
>>
>>30338557

.358 winchester to the shoulder is preferable. Prevents a charge.

My grandfather has had bears shot in the heart/lungs do three things. Fall over and die instantly, charge him, and once, just stand there for five minutes before turning and falling over. The one time he was charged a second shot to the shoulder blade stopped it in its tracks. That was with one of the only .308 chambered lever action rifles out there. He bought one in .358 Winchester after the charge and wasn't let down.
>>
>>30338716
00 buck pellets are just short of 9mm anyways. Use something that will punch deep enough and 9mm would work if you do your part to aim.

The hypothetical was between a magnum revolver or a 9mm pistol with bear spray. Bear spray is good shit. If you were hunting bears, obviously you'd go with something heavier than either.
>>
>>30338767
>That was with one of the only .308 chambered lever action rifles out there. He bought one in .358 Winchester after the charge and wasn't let down.
BLR?
>>
>>30338767

Tbh a .45-70 lever is probably the ideal bear gun, or 12 gauge slugs.
>>
Going against a grizzly, you need atleast a magnum revolver load. .357 is still probably too small, a .44 might be the minimum recommended load for bear protection.

Polar bears on the other hand, you better just bring a bag of meat to distract him while you kill yourself. Either way it will kill you.
>>
>>30338496
9mm + burr spreh

The spray alone sound be enough, and if not i hope it likes LOL 9MM in its cute, snuggly face
>>
>>30338880
>Polar bears on the other hand, you better just bring a bag of meat to distract him while you kill yourself. Either way it will kill you.
.600 Tyrannosaur wouldn't work?
>>
>>30338891
.600 Tyrannosaur doesn't exist
>>
.22 is good enough. All about shot placement.
>>
>>30338880
These caliber wars are ridiculous.
454 is enough to take down any large game on this planet, 44 is almost there but it might not work on an elephant, rhino or hippo.

Could a polar bear take on a rhino? I don't fucking think so. 44 mag is enough for a polar bear.
>>
>>30338912
Yeah but this does.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.700_Nitro_Express
>>
>>30338880
30 men vs 1 polar bear. Fight to the death.
Who would win?
>>
>>30338496
10 MILI MEME
>>
>>30338950
>30 men
That's enough for a crew served weapon. Ma Deuce versus polar bear.
>>
>>30338496

I'll take the 9mm auto, I don't even need the bear spray, the cocking noise of the gun alone is enough to scare off the bear.
>>
>>30338973
And that's how Joe Biden got eaten by a bear.
>>
File: 1453025988118.png (282KB, 540x450px) Image search: [Google]
1453025988118.png
282KB, 540x450px
DESU I'm not confident I could land a killing shot with a .44 mag or above if I missed my first. I think the panic would hit and I'd just jerk the trigger and die with an empty gun. I've only shot (own) a .357 so I can't say if I'd be able to manage the recoil under stress.

Really though it depends how long I'm in the woods for. Obviously once you're out of bear spray, you're going to be in bad shape, and bears are actually attracted to bear spray once it settles on the ground or your stuff.

If I'm just defending against a single bear attack, bear spray all the way. However if I'm living in the woods for a year straight, 100 km from the nearest road, I'd take the .44 without question. If it was going to be that much time in the woods, I would make a point of getting good with a .44 mag.
>>
>>30339001
Just fire two blasts off into the sky and it's sure to scare off any bear.
>>
>>30338496
A fucking rifle. Or a shotgun.
>>30338528
Bear spray works fine too. Bear nose/eyes are super sensitive.

If use pistol, make sure to file off front sight for when bear decides to shove up your ass.
>>
Holy fuck city slickers are bat shit retarded thinking you need African Safari calibers for grizzly.
>>
>>30339030
I used to think 357 was pussy shit since I would just fire one handed and fuck around with it with pretty hot loads. I ended up taking my brother to shoot, and he didn't even want to shoot more than 3 rounds of it, said he could feel the shake down to his chest. desu seems like a personal thing more than any REAL recoil. Mental rather than physical. Although I have worked jobs in construction before, so my idea of a roughness is probably jaded.

although I will say that undress stress, I believe the average person will find the fortitude to handle shooting the hardest stuff no problem, as long as they have experience with it before.
>>
>>30339030
>DESU I'm not confident I could land a killing shot with a .44 mag or above if I missed my first.
That's why a carbine is more useful than a revolver for bear defense. The recoil is a lot more manageable.
>>
>>30339045
You should try being in the bush with them.
I was out camping with one guy who insisted on carrying a .460 revolver with hot loads. You only had time for one shot because the recoil was enough to point the barrel to the sky.
>>
>>30338511
Is a Mossberg 590 a good pump action 12 gauge for slugs?
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (44KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
44KB, 480x360px
>>30338562
Broken vodka bottle is suicide.
everyone knows you use tiny bat.
>>
>>30338926
There's always this fucking moron.

I know it bait, but I can't help calling this shit autism every single time
>>
>>30338932
Once again, I will remind you tards that the cartridge needs to be overpowered. Killing a bear 1-2 minutes after shooting it doesn't do us any good. You need something powerful enough to drop a charging bear on the fucking spot.

.44 mag will kill bears. But it isn't powerful enough to reliably drop them instantly. 44 mag won't even drop hogs instantly half the time.

There is no handgun cartridge in the world that I would count on to drop a charging grizzly that I would choose over any moderately powerful rifle round
>>
>>30339220
What are you talking about, that critter is clearly running from the bear!
>>
>>30339146
Definitely. If you want to see it in action I know Hickok did a video where he shoots 1oz slugs with it. I'm sure you can find a whole lot more on Youtube if you look it up.
>>
>>30339470
I'm looking on YouTube now, I just wanted to get /k/'s opinion. For better or worse you faggots are some of the smarter gun people on the internet. I suspect it's because outside of tripfags there's no ego or persistent identity so you can admit when you made an awful fucking purchase decision.
>>
>>30339220
nigga that's a table leg.
>>
>>30339449
hard cast lead 44 will kill a bear just the same as a 308.
What round are you recommending that will instantly kill a bear in a second, WITHOUT taking headshots into account, that would take a bear down with just 357.
>>
>>30339483
have 590, use it to blat piggies with slugs, works bretty gud. Get the A1 or Persuader so you can attach bayonet for maximum operational functionality
>>
>>30339548
Definitely looking at the 8+1 A1 variant. My only regret is that it doesn't take M1897 bayonets for ultimate operating.
>>
Y'all are a bunch of retarded faggots ignoring OP's posited question.
>>
>>30339661
Hi, OP. Your question was fucking stupid. Anything less than a Ruger .44mag with stupid hot loads isn't even going to slow the bear down enough to save your ass, and you should be using bear spray no matter what gun you carry.
>>
>>30338745

>very sensitive nose

most sensitive nose of any terrestrial mammal, ftfy
>>
>No 45-70

Fucking children in here
>>
>>30339529
.12 gauge slug, .308, 30-06, 300 win mag, 338 win mag, 45-70 etc.

And no, your meme bullets in a .44 will not be anywhere close to as effective as .308

Did you read the post? Yeah you can kill bears with handguns, but them dying after they've eaten your face is not in your best interest.
>>
>>30338496
Spray. Only get anything approaching reliable ability to drop a bear with long guns
>>
>>30338860
For killing the bear absolutely. You can use bigger of course but fuck all if you use heavier as a comfortable brush gun.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.