[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Buying an Armored Vehicle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

Alright, so I've reached a point where I have enough money to purchase a personal armored vehicle. I've worked out all the shipping and stuff already, so I'm not worried about that.

I'm leaning toward a BTR-60 from Mortar Investments. I want to convert the engine to a CAT tractor engine with around 500hp. I know nothing about the actual working of the 8x8 and the transmission and such. I'm wondering if any of you guys know a damn thing about these things. I will completely remove the amphibious propulsion system, so that will free up some room in the engine compartment.
Is swapping an engine in one of these feasible?

Is there another armored vehicle that would be a better choice than the BTR-60?
Obviously this will be a project vehicle over time.

Also, military vehicle ownership general.
>>
>>30318466
what engine do you have picked out?
I don't know shit about BTRs but I do know a fair amount about cat motors so maybe I could help.
>>
>>30318473
I don't have one picked out. I'm not entirely sure how much room I have to work with. The smaller the better. I'm not looking to go faster than maybe 60mph (if that's even feasible). The vehicle weighs ~12 tons. Stock, it has dual 90hp straight 6 engines out of UAZ trucks, but they are known for being complete dogshit.
>>
>>30318483
I'd shoot for a cat 3116E.
200 horse straight 4 simple diesel engine.
just about the size of a standard US pallet.
much more power than stock and a damn good amount of torque.
parts are pretty abundant since they were standard in chevy kodiaks and gmc topkicks.
and as a bonus they only weight 1200 pounds.
if you can't get an E but can get a 3116, take it somewhere to get a turbo and intercooler put on it otherwise it will be an absolute pig.
>>
>>30318466
What is it going to run you after importation?
Total cost?
>>
>>30318510
Total cost to have it sitting in my yard is going to be around $22000 estimated. It could be more, could be less.
>>
>>30318483
Get a BTR-70 if you can. They're better.
>>
>>30318507
I'll look into it. The big problem I am running into, is I really can't estimate how much space I'm going to have to work with. I'm worried because the reason it has the current engine setup is because larger engines wouldn't fit or would be too heavy. Hopefully, modern technology and engines can overcome that. The entire amphibious propulsion system is going to be removed, so that will free up a bit of space I think. Mating it to the drivetrain may be a challenge as well.

>>30318523
Can't find one for sale at a price that isn't stupid. The version I'm looking at is the BTR-60PB.

I do have other options available, like a BRDM-2 as well as the OT-64. The OT-64 is enormous and a more complex vehicle to the point where I wouldn't be able to do electrical and other stuff myself. The BRDM is a fucking BRDM.

I also want to avoid tracked because that's just impractical for private use unless you are a millionaire.
>>
File: 1464564518395.jpg (287KB, 1600x1067px) Image search: [Google]
1464564518395.jpg
287KB, 1600x1067px
>>30318466
>Is there another armored vehicle that would be a better choice than the BTR-60?

While I can understand the appeal of an 8x8 APC, if you're just looking for "an armored vehicle" a BRDM-2 would probably be more economical.
>>
>>30318519
wew. I have that sitting in my bank account.
>most new airmen buy a Dodge Challenger
>this new airmen bought a BTR-60
I can't imagine the gate guards face if someone pulled up in a fucking BTR
>>
>>30318548
do it anon
>>
>>30318546
>buy BRDM-2
>attach missile pods
SA-9!
>>
>>30318546
>>30318548
I knew a guy who had a BRDM. He's the reason I don't want one. But his was rusty as fuck and had all kinds of problems. I think it's rotting under a tarp somewhere right now.
The BRDM they have for sale seems to be in good shape though.

One of my other buddies had a LMTV he bought at an auction. It got him all sorts of weird looks going in the gate and not wearing a ACH while driving it. He was pulled over like three times a week for the first month he owned it.
>>
>>30318562
LMTVs seem like a neat army truck to buy but I'm just too attached to the 5 ton and deuce and a half.
any 5 ton/deuce owners on /k/?
any tips?
>>
>>30318519
Some dude posted something about looking to buy a T-72 from mortar. He said he all in it was going to cost him a quarter mil USD (to get it to US).
I remember he incorporated a bunch of fees, like weapon reactivation, but the base price was like 50-60k euros.
I`d look into laws and stuff about vehicle importation, road legality, certification, insurance, etc.
There`s also the concern about the availability of parts, since slavs use all kinds of presumably non-Western shit. With the BTR-60 you're going to be guaranteed a labour intensive engine swap (assuming it's possible at all.)

What you might wanna consider, if this interests you at all, is a DOD surp humvee/m35. It would be certainly be a lot more usable. Another option is Brit tech, which would probably be easier to work with, but since it's all tracked that would ramp up the cost per kilometer.
>>
>>30318562
>LMTV
Why, though?
That's basically a commercial truck.
>>
>>30318579
Humvees are garbage that guzzle fuel like a fat man guzzles cola, and don't even have armor weighing it down to justify it.
>>
>>30318579
I could be wrong. My contact with them said that wheeled vehicles are way easier to import than tanks and such. The import fees will be few thousand and shipping is about 1k.
The mechanics are the thing holding me back.
I need to get in contact with customs and see what I would have to do with them. Brit Ferrets run $10k-$20k depending on condition, I will most likely go that way in all honesty.
>>30318584
He paid something stupid low like $3000 for it. I'ts the 4x4 with the standard bed and tarp/covering. He really liked it too. He lives in the middle of nowhere and uses it for farm stuff when he goes back home.
>>
File: 1456456153535.jpg (26KB, 286x395px) Image search: [Google]
1456456153535.jpg
26KB, 286x395px
>>30318596
Pic

>>30318601
It's too bad AVGPs all got scrapped.
>>
>>30318466
http://www.liquisearch.com/btr-60/variants/israel
>Replacing the two GAZ-40P petrol engines with a single Caterpillar diesel engine developing 300 hp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7SBe6Ulq7rw
Probably a 3126, but the frame has been expanded.
>>
>>30318651
Thank you Anon. Just the kind of thing that I was looking for.
>>
>>30318579
>Brit tech, which would probably be easier to work with

>entering into a pact with the prince of darkness
>>
>>30318579
Quarter mil USD? Holy fuck that's stupid, to lower the price can't you just stuff canon with cement or something?
>>
File: 1444139360003.jpg (168KB, 794x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1444139360003.jpg
168KB, 794x1080px
>>30318579
Wouldn't it be cheaper to build yourself a replica of t72 from normal steel? Is it even legal?
>>
>>30318963
They will deactivate the guns for free I think. Reactivating them would cost a shitload. Also, tanks are harder to import due to arms embargoes and such.
>>30318975
Yeah, it's totally legal. But owning a tracked vehicle requires insane amounts of upkeep and logistics. Imagine you are driving down the highway and you throw a track. Then what?
>>
File: image.jpg (105KB, 960x561px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
105KB, 960x561px
Mildly related, I saw a 206 driving beside the highway the other day. Was pretty cool
>>
>>30319084
Call an insurance company?
>"Um hello? Yeah my vehicle broke down i need help"
>"What is it? Oh it's just t-72"
>>
>>30318466
>>
>>30318466
>i dont know anything about this gigantic expensive vehicle that ive never even seen irl but im going to pay to have it shipped across the atlantic and just assume that I can do a drive train swap on a proprietary vehicle designed 50 years ago in another country in another langauge.

you're a fucking idiot
>>
>>30318507
You might also look into the A7 Acert. We run them in some of our buses here, 200hp 6 cylinder, turbo etc. They do like to have radiator issues occasionally but parts are super abundant. School buses are 36000+/- GVWR.
>>
>>30319135
I know plenty about it. Just not a few key things which I am making an effort to learn about. Clearly I'm putting some thought into this purchase and haven't ordered it yet. I want a BTR-60 and I'm exploring how feasible it might be.
>>30319123
If I recall, that happened to some guy a while back. It was a Scorpion (If I recall) that broke down and they had to call the local Nasty Girls to bring a recover vehicle. I think the bill was like $10,000 to get it recovered.
>>
File: Ferret-armoured-car.jpg (3MB, 3648x2736px) Image search: [Google]
Ferret-armoured-car.jpg
3MB, 3648x2736px
>>30318466
fampai I'm going to be real with you and say that if you have no experience with this sort of shit then you should definitely consider starting small with a Ferret and then work your way up from there. IMO you should be looking at a UAZ, ZIL, LUAZ, or BDRM before you even think about a BTR. It's better to start with a smaller, more manageable vehicle that's decent from the beginning than spend a fuckton on importing a monster that'll take lots of work to get working properly.

I'm the biggest slavaboo faggot there is, but I'm not going to lie about the BTR-60 potentially being a nightmare in the reliability department. You need to be attentive and keep an eye on that bitch (engine tuning, seal deterioration prevention, etc.) or else she WILL screw you over hard.

as for engines I would personally keep them stock even though they can be a pain to tune properly, but that's just how I roll.
>>
>>30319135
>all this jelly
>>
What are some other good sites that deal in military vehicles? Stateside or Euro exporters.
>>
>>30318535
Get the BRDM-2.
>>
>>30319227
>jelly

no, my money goes to investments that make me more money, and also nice watches, guns, guitars, and cars because Im not a retarded idiot pretending to to buy milsurp vehicles on a french pastry decorating forum

it is blinding obvious that OP doesnt have the remotest clue as to what hes doing.
>>
>>30318466
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDoRmT0iRic
>>
>>30318466
if you're murrican, i hope you have all the necessary import licenses for it, if not, good luck getting them for an armored vehicle.
>>
>>30318548
Please, us SF guys need a bit of excitement in our days guarding gates. Do it. It'll make us happy. Or just pissed off wondering if we can even let you on base.
>>
>>30320300
>I buy things I enjoy that other people might not
Just like OP.
>>
>>30320376
>enjoy

yeah, hes going to enjoy watching it rust on his lawn because he doesnt jnow what to do with it
>>
>>30320508
Maybe he will.

Funny how /k/ is completely fanatic about personal freedom until someone decides to buy something with his own money.
>>
File: 1455973713773.jpg (132KB, 690x720px) Image search: [Google]
1455973713773.jpg
132KB, 690x720px
>>30320369
Domestic importation licenses for this kind of shit aren't too hard to get, just incredibly time-consuming and tedious to obtain. Lots of forms in triplicate.

>>30320300
checked.

>no, my money goes to investments that make me more money
I'm assuming you have a genuine interest in the things you listed though, right? I never understood why people invest massive amounts of money into stuff they don't have even a passing interest while hoping that their shit accrues some value over time. More often than not, the market tanks and they're left with some shit that they can neither make a profit on nor enjoy for themselves.

>nice watches, guns, guitars, and cars
any decent serious investor will tell you all four of those choices are shitty solely in terms of being investments. If you enjoy having it, I respect that. Mind you, I collect guns and watches (and I plan to collect cars as well) but I've go intention of buying any of it to make a profit later.
>>
>>30320594
>I've go intention of buying any of it to make a profit later
wew, I meant to say that I've got no intention of buying any of it to make a profit later.
>>
>>30320594
>Domestic importation licenses for this kind of shit aren't too hard to get
if you get one. not all kinds of armor are importable for civilians.
>>
>>30320643
a BTR-60 is certainly eligible, I've seen them over here before. Besides, they make any imported armor undergo demilitarization per ATF standards. It's all completely legal, meaning the money you were planning on using to insure your pupper can go towards some accessories for your new Soviet whip instead.
>>
>>30318466

I hope you can read russian, or else you won't be able to do fuckall, also what everyone else said, its not gonna be 20gs it's gonna be closer to 100 when it's all done, and it's going to fucking break, it's old and then you have to buy and ship parts from some CZ country again. Just get a Unimog, it can do anything a shit BTR can and more.
>>
>>30320815
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvoZAlna90g

Mercedes swag
>>
File: v37112_1269285398373.jpg (449KB, 1024x680px) Image search: [Google]
v37112_1269285398373.jpg
449KB, 1024x680px
For looks, I just love the BTR-40. But obviously that's not a real armored car.

>>30319134

Very rarely you can find a Wiesel 1.
But Wiesel 2 are just impossible to find... God, I can't wait for them to retire & they hopefully start turning up on the second hand market.
>>
>>30320815
>Just get a Unimog, it can do anything a shit BTR can and more.

>Unimog
>no armor
>not amphibious
>no NBC protection
>no turret
>no weapon mounts
>no slav swag

tbqh they're not even comparable
>>
People forgeting why slavshit is slavshit.
It will be pain to fix only if you want keep it vanilla. Something breaks just replace with local part, it just take some fiddling.

Remember: fix armor with big hammer, and for optics use small hammer
>>
>>30320904
>owning a tankette

God, I wish.
>>
>>30320904
>BTR-40
>stops bullets
>not an armored car
>>
>>30318466
There are some Gaz-69 jeeps if you want something that's easier to go around with. They're at about 10k with delivery.
>>
>>30318466
Weren!t there a dozen or so Leopard 1s found in a bunker for sale?

Anyone have any news on those?
>>
>>30321804
>not an armored car

It's known to get penetrated by .30-06 & 7.62x51 AP rounds (from certain angles). As far as "armor" goes, that's pretty shitty.
>>
>>30319084
That's not even the worse, you'd have to worry about digging those side holes on highways yourself due to the weight of the vehicle and the metal tracks.
>>
>>30321838
Sure, but that's still better protection than a UAZ jeep or a breadloaf van
>>
>>30321787
I wonder the feasibility of building your own tankette out of a bobcat or something.
>>30320300
>Wants a thing because thing is cool
>Researches the assfuck out of thing before buying thing
>identifies issues and attempts to find solutions to issues
>stoplikingwhatidontlike.jpg
>Asks forum for their opinion
>>
>>30322533
>I wonder the feasibility of building your own tankette out of a bobcat or something.
wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer
Works pretty well for what a kommando would use it for.
>>
What happened to the tard who had to decide between a BPM or his gf?
>>
>>30322715
Most likely. I'm surprised Killdozer doesn't get brought up on /k/ often.
>>
>>30322829
Make a thread. We've done improvised fighting vehicles before but they're always just Hylux+machine gun or rockets. Not much improvised armor.
Armament for a killdozer would be a good discussion.
>>
>>30321231
>Something breaks just replace with local part

I think the bigger concern is that it breaks down in the middle of nowhere. A vehicle the size of a BTR-60 is going to be fucking impossible to recover unless you have an actual recovery vehicle. Even a BRDM is really impractical to recover.

As far as OPs idea of swapping the engines out, it might be a better idea to find two engines since the BTR-60 also has dual transmissions. You'd keep the redundancy that way and it would save you from having to come up with some kind of transfer case.

I think it makes more sense to buy something like a Ural or M35, since then you've got something that allows you to figure out the logistics of owning a gigantic ex-military vehicle without sinking yourself having to figure out how to work around armor plate. It'll be easier to work on and when the day comes where you want to get a BTR or BRDM it still works as a more practical service vehicle.
Thread posts: 64
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.