[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could you put cubesats in orbit with this?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

File: iowa12.jpg (27KB, 600x398px) Image search: [Google]
iowa12.jpg
27KB, 600x398px
Could you put cubesats in orbit with this?
>>
File: Project_Harp.jpg (32KB, 304x480px) Image search: [Google]
Project_Harp.jpg
32KB, 304x480px
Nope. It was attempted, all it did was piss off the locals and crack windows/foundations/toilets for miles.
>>
>>30315269
Your picture and OP's picture are not the same thing.
>>
File: Abandoned-HARP-Gun.jpg (295KB, 604x453px) Image search: [Google]
Abandoned-HARP-Gun.jpg
295KB, 604x453px
>>30315289
They actually are, the HARP gun was a modification of the 16"/50-caliber gun mounted on the Iowa-class battleships. The barrel was simply extended to 100 calibers/40m.
>>
>>30315269
>>30315311
chalk another thing ruined by the juice
>>
>>30315289
The difference between his picture and OP's is that his picture is actually a gun aspiring to put shit in space, while OP's is not.

>>30315326
yup. the juice murdered him because "muh Saddam".

Seriously, what the hell was Saddam going to do with a fixed position space gun that Israel found so terrifying? If he started trying to lob bombs at it, it would be trivial for them to blow up. It had no military value. A senseless waste of human life.
>>
>>30315397
>Seriously, what the hell was Saddam going to do with a fixed position space gun that Israel found so terrifying?
Bomb the jews?
>>
File: Upshot-Knothole_GRABLE.jpg (3MB, 2949x2338px) Image search: [Google]
Upshot-Knothole_GRABLE.jpg
3MB, 2949x2338px
>>30315397
I think (pic related) is what they were worried about
>>
>>30315547
The Iraqis had no such bomb, and the Israelis knew it.
>>
>>30315557
They did have plenty of sarin and mustard gas, however.
>>
>>30315571
Gas is overrated.
>>
>>30315557
Well, of course. If they had nukes they'd have put them on SCUDs and getting the job over with.

I think their specific fear was that SadMan Hussein could *MAGICALLY* figure out nuclear artillery and then THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
>>
>>30315311
>double the barrel length
>add framework to support the barrel
>same gun

wew lad

>>30315326
Saddam got scammed, it is useless for anything but firing towards space.
>>
>>30315236
if you have a 16"x5 foot satellite that is under 1000 pounds and can take that gun pressure, you could probably try for the armstrong line but you would need it to be a scramjet.
>>
>>30315236
>Could you put cubesats in orbit with this?
Jesus Christ how stupid are you?
>>
>>30315236
You can't put anything in orbit with a cannon alone, by definition. However you go about it (unless you shoot it into solar orbit) it'll land back into the ground.
The payload needs to carry some fuel on its own
>>
>>30315236
No, because of Newtons Depth Approximation.

The gist of it is that more speed=more air resistance which causes a bootstrap problem where it ceases to be an issue of muzzle velocity and more of a matter of projectile length and density. A five foot rod of tungsten would go farther than a three foot rod of steel.

Add to this is the fact that orbits are parabolic circuits. The orbit will eventually lead the shot to where it came from. Unfortunately, there's a planet in the way. So while a dense enough and long enough projectile could get you into space, you can not stay in space without orbital correction burns.

tl;dr no and double no
>>
>>30315326

>the Jews

They do appear to have a phobia of large cannons.. Didn't they take out Project Babylon and murder the Canadian that designed it for Saddam?
>>
>>30315397

I don't think the Babylon cannon could even be fired more than once without destroying itself...

I've seen the pictures. It was a poor excuse for a cannon. I hope Saddam got it cheap.

Its literally so badly designed part of me calls bullshit but I guess its hardvto manufacture a cannon that big.
>>
>>30316799

CUBESATS WEIGH LIKE TEN POUNDS DUDE

Forgive me for thinking you could put a few pounds in orbit with a gun that launches over a ton projectile 30 miles.

I did a little mental math and assumed if the propellant burns fast enough its possible.
>>
>>30319346
A cubesat would not survive the trip, and getting high is not the same as entering an orbit.
>>
>>30319745
>and getting high is not the same as entering an orbit.

Its damn close to it if you have smoked enough.
>>
It could not unless the cubesat had an upper stage to circularize the orbit once in space. Play some KSP and you'll understand why.

Also as other anons have pointed out, you can't reach orbital velocity at sea level without burning up.
>>
>>30315599
Jews are particularly susceptible to gas.
>>
File: 148686942_ce163db33d.jpg (20KB, 330x219px) Image search: [Google]
148686942_ce163db33d.jpg
20KB, 330x219px
>>30319984
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.