[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

do the plastic ar magazines have any real advantage over the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 4

File: usgi v pmag.png (705KB, 1034x1012px) Image search: [Google]
usgi v pmag.png
705KB, 1034x1012px
do the plastic ar magazines have any real advantage over the normal military mags or is it just marketing bs?
>>
GI mags are going to get all fucked up in the middle, if you have them in your duffle/ruck plastic ones won't. Still have Gen 1 Pmags I got back in '07, have not maintained them for shit, but they still feed good.
>>
>>30294618
the thing is pmags work and its quite obvious when they are fucked up and need to be replaced. Meanwhile usgi looks like it will work out but could fuck up anytime.
>>
>>30294618
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnPciwXoIdQ
>>
>>30294618
polymer magazines are more elastic than gi mags and a bit more rigid

essentially, this means gi mags are easier to bend out of shape and ruin which means the polymer mags are more durable
>>
>>30294618
the only thing you need to be aware of is that you shouldn't keep them loaded without the dust cover on top or else you risk damaging the feed lips

that's it, in every other way they're better and weigh less
>>
>>30294618
Magpul PMAGs are much more reliable and stronger.
>>
>>30294857
Pure unadulterated bullshit.
>>
File: pmags.jpg (130KB, 1025x526px) Image search: [Google]
pmags.jpg
130KB, 1025x526px
>>30294885
wow what a convincing argument, if only I could ignore all these pmags with cracked feed lips
>>
>>30294902
I don't have any experience with PMAGs, but it's always confused me that they are pure polymer. All my polymer AK mags have steel reinforced spines and feed lips.
>>
>>30294902
Wow, what a convincing set of evidence that satisfies your burden of proof. Perhaps you should provide some actual support for your claim instead of regurgitating the same shitposts you see on /k/ and googling a picture of a cracked magazine.
>>
>>30294902
So, you are telling me that GI mags don't fall apart ?
Are those your PMags? what are you using them for ?
Ones I have had thousands of rounds through them, and around 9 years of constant use in the field/ranges and on deployments. I discarded 2-3 that developed a feeding issue, but over all, they are pretty fucking good.
>>
>>30294618
I've always been keen to shitty GI Mags. They look good, they're cheap, and if they were so shitty they didn't function 11 bravo and 0311 would make so many social media posts the DoD would be forced to change.
>>
>>30294955
I'm telling you to store your pmags with the dust cover on if they're loaded

Did you not read my orignal post where I say pmags are better in every way to the GI ones?
>>
>>30294902
2/3rds of those are empty though

>>30294797
The thing is if the usgi mags really did "FAIL" like claimed in the video they wouldnt be in service. See >>30294972
>>
File: 245745834756.jpg (50KB, 339x368px) Image search: [Google]
245745834756.jpg
50KB, 339x368px
>>30294618
It's the same as Steel vs Bakelite.
>>
Every pmag ive bought dont feed worth a shit. It sucks, because they are cheaper than normal stanags.

But they all seem to cause failure to feeds.

I swap them out for a gov. Issue mag and voila, the ol AR runs great.

They would be brand new and do that to me.
>>
Just my 2 cents having both types of mags; the steel ones feel lighter than the plastic ones, but you can get a better grip on the plastics (at least without gloves)

Beyond that I haven't really noticed any other differences.
>>
>>30294994
Bakelite has more letters though

Also good source of Vitamin B
>>
>>30295016
are you sure you arent confusing steel with aluminum?
usgi is aluminum
in weight its aluminum. pmags, steel
>>
>>30295036

My bad, I reckon they must be aluminum.

>they're old hand me downs from a guy who used to be be I'm the Marines, and work great
>>
Anti tilt followers (which you can put in GIs), they don't make as much noise, and are more durable.

But then they're more expensive and prone to warping/cracking especially at the feedlips.
>>
I prefer the way the way the black plastic of Pmags matches my rifle better than the GI mags.
>>
>>30295007
Sounds like an AR problem.
>>
>>30295007
I've never heard of anyone having a problem like that, and just everyone I know who owns an AR has a bunch of pmags, even the vets who are used to GI.
>>
>>30294618
You reduce your RCS by having plastic mags instead of metal mags. You should also have a polymer lower, and fire plastic bullets for maximum stealthiness.

My upper is made of car windows.
>>
>>30295894
this is the dumbest and smartest thing i seen today
>>
>>30294902
Literally the only time I've seen PMAGS crack that that has been from idiots trying to load them to 31 and succeeding, then leaving them outside in freezing weather or in their trunk.

Take care of your mags. Simple as that.
>>
>>30294902
Then buy Lancers, jesus
>>
>>30294902
>>30294941
I have heard and seen some feed lips crack on the AK pmags but never with the AR mags. check out Iraqiveteran8888 magazine torture test.
>>
They weigh less.
>>
USGI mags are fine as long as you don't have the old black followers.

I shot thousands of rounds in Iraq with green follower USGI magazines. Never had a stoppage due to magazine.
>>
I've got a le6920 that refuses to EVER load the first round from a pmag. Every time I have to slap and rerack. My GI mags always load consistently. That being said the pmag is lighter and you never have to question if it has a non tilt follower. So choice is yours find whichever is cheaper and more consistent
>>
Buy both. C.Y.A.

/thread
>>
>>30299141
I had that same exact problem, but it wasnt the mag. Turns out the pmag ejected into the chamber at a weird angle so the rim was getting caught on the side of the ejector instead of the front. Changed the ejector and its perfect, yet I have no idea how the ejector wears
>>
>>30295007
>14 dollars is cheaper than 8

Uh, ok
>>
>>30298262
>"military grade" magazine can't even sit in a truck without breaking

vote of confidence restored
>>
>>30298262
i keep mine loaded to 30, and ive had some crack
>>
GI mags are smaller and fit better in many pouches. My aluminum ones feel lighter than my gen three windowed pmags although I have not weighed them. I like my Surefeed 30rd aluminum mags made by OKAY industries the best, OKAY was a codeveloper of the original 30rd m16 mags in 1973 and still supplies top quality mags for cheap to this day.

I like the Mil-Spec dry film lube grey but they also make Tactical Black PTFE. They all have a four-way, anti-tilt, self-lubricating, non-hygroscopic resin follower and high performance Mil-Spec stainless steel spring to keep rounds properly aligned and tensioned for flawless performance.
>>
>>30299881
cheaper doesn't necessarily mean less costly.
>>
>>30300381
I'm the poster who inadvertently sparked this shitfest over pmags last night and this was all I was trying to warn people about.

I know people get really worked up over their favorite gear, but they need to be honest with people who come here asking for advice.

Bottom line is pmags are fine. Keep the dust cover on loaded mags if they're sitting in storage or in a closet.
>>
>>30301245
That's still indicative of a problem if a dust cover is necessary to prevent cracks. Perhaps if they reinforced the lugs these magazines wouldn't have these issues
>>
>>30301384
Like >>30301245 is trying to clarify, it could be a problem for some and not for others. It's just information provided for the end user to make their decision. If you don't keep your mags loaded then it's a non-issue, if you do then maybe buy something else.
>>
File: which.png (483KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
which.png
483KB, 1920x1200px
>>30294618
I prefer PMags, EMags, and Hexmags over the standard USGI mags.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.