[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are infantry obsolete?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 7

File: British1.jpg (36KB, 399x218px) Image search: [Google]
British1.jpg
36KB, 399x218px
Just curious, because some people are claiming that they are old weapons that wouldn't last two days in a real conflict.

Are infantry obsolete? Or are they still relevant?
>>
File: 8DfyTgY.gif (2MB, 539x221px) Image search: [Google]
8DfyTgY.gif
2MB, 539x221px
>>30262549
>>
>>30262549
Do houses still need to be cleared?
>>
>>30262549

The infantry will never be obsolete. It has already been claimed that they are, and by 'already' I mean it has been claimed after literally every war until about now when we have come to our senses.

This is a good book on the exact subject, the beginning is about the consequences of 'the infantry is obsolete' thinking.

https://www.amazon.com/Grunts-American-Infantry-Experience-Through/dp/0451233417/
>>
>>30262549
No matter how advanced we are, no matter if we get to fight with oversized robots or in space, it will always fall on the infantry men and his rifle.
>>
>>30262549
Why does that one guy have a giant fucking hammer?
>>
>>30262576
House clearing can safely be done with a tank, or even more safely done with artillery.

>>30262549
The reality for infantry is it's amazing for guerrilla tactics, and that's about it...

A tank does everything better than a infantry squad does other than hide.
>>
>>30262723
That's why we have all of those videos of T-55s, T-72s, and Abrams getting btfo'd by infantry with portable ATGMs because they were left unsupported, mirite?
>>
File: hp.jpg (1MB, 2340x1316px) Image search: [Google]
hp.jpg
1MB, 2340x1316px
>>30262549
Because this is fucking inexpensive.
>>
>>30262723
>A tank does everything better than a infantry squad does other than hide.

What about urban warfare?
>>
>>30262790
Tanks are significantly better at urban warfare, as they can remove the urban portion of it.

>>30262756
Comparably, 4 people in a tank are significantly more effective than any 4 man team with AT. You could argue cost, logistics and terrain limitations but that's it.
>>
Are infantry obsolete? is the Sun obsolete? Is breathing obsolete? 10 shocking facts you won't believe on clickbait.com!
>>
>>30262549
Infantry is even more relevant now than ever.

https://youtu.be/oA13akwRFBc
>>
>>30262549
Are you straight?
>>
>>30262953
Is that why we lost to a bunch of sand Niggers? Or gooks? Or screaming chinamen with pro communist koreans?
>>
>>30262953
>You could argue cost, logistics and terrain limitations but that's it.

Those are pretty big factors, and pretty crucial reasons why infantry won't be obsolete in our lifetimes.

>Besides range, what possible advantage is there to a gun over a sword?
>>
>>30262790
Who needs urban warfare when you got total warfare?
>>
Is - is that lad waving Mjolnir about? What the fuck has he got there?
>>
>>30263010
We sure killed a lot of those people, we only lost because we didn't kill them all.

>>30263018
Okay.
>>
>>30262723
>more safely
>genuinely expects tanks and artillery to level every entire city it comes across
This is a painfully stupid notion

>a tank does everything better
Excluding eliminate anti-tank positions and not getting spotted and BTFO'd by helos and aircraft
>>
>>30263057
>WWI was actually abut recovering powerful pagan artifacts.
Pretty neat desu lads.
>>
>>30262723
Time to research Grotsky
>>
File: 1465674884251.gif (264KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1465674884251.gif
264KB, 300x300px
hell no , we are fucking TITS!!!! fuck off bait.
>>
>using tanks to clear/level buildings and/or cities
>what are hostages/civilians/innocents
>what are war crimes
>>
File: infantry.jpg (317KB, 500x674px) Image search: [Google]
infantry.jpg
317KB, 500x674px
>>30263121

>This is a painfully stupid notion.
Then why don't you painfully explain why it is?
Pic related. Also please explain to me how infantry is giving you air superiority.

>>30263144
That only comes up with a urban definition.
>>
>>30262953
>>30262723

>Doesn't realize that you can't just level an entire city with tanks and artillery.
>Has no idea how warfare works
>>
>>30263256
>Makes claim and won't back it up.

To be fair I'm playing devils advocate here and you're still losing ground. Like I started out trolling, but now you're convincing a former infantrymen that his job was obsolete. Like fuck man, come the fuck on. I FUCKING HATE TANKS, yet here I am easily able to defend how they literally do nearly everything better than infantry because you don't know shit.

Fuck it, I'm done... I'm going to do homework now, I fucking hope you're happy asshole.
>>
>>30263289
Yeah, 7th grade is tough, isn't it?
I wasn't going to defend my position, because I felt it obvious and self-evident that you're just trying to be stupid.
But here you go.

>Search and Capture/rescue/destroy
>Capturing HVTs
>Covert operations
>>
>>30262790
>tank
>destroy building
>enemy squad neutralized
>repeat as necessary

>infantry
>storm building
>squad members die
>repeat as necessary until squad depleted

Infantry became obsolete the moment MGs were invented
>>
>>30263210
>how infantry is giving you air superiority
I'm not going to explain combined arms warfare to you, read a book
>a small village in rural france surrounded by open field as proof that tanks and artillery can destroy modern cities
No words for this
Also
>tanks and artillery
>in mountains
>>
File: 1959 Future Soldier 01.jpg (127KB, 929x592px) Image search: [Google]
1959 Future Soldier 01.jpg
127KB, 929x592px
Infantry will be replaced in the distant future, but never soon. Right now, infantry has a place on the bah-bah field.

Maybe when our half-jewish half-skinwalker reptilian overlords reveal the flatness of the world using their kung fu chemtrails, maybe things might change.
>>
>>30263370
>tank
>destroy building
>enemy squad neutralized
>tank runs into ATGM emplacement
>tank neutralized

>tank
>destroy building
>enemy squad neutralized
>ATGM emplacement destroyed by supporting infantry
>>
>>30263429
>tank
>destroy building
>enemy squad neutralized
>tank spots it before ATGM can because of superior optics
>ATGM destroyed
>Destroy next building
>POGs talk about how they're still relevant because they learned how to shoot a rifle
>>
>>30263330
>PARA RESCUE
>SECRET SQUIRRELS
>SECRET SQUIRRELS

Least name something infantry actually does, whelp time to get back to my 7th grade homework since you're still to easy.
>>
>>30263445
>superior optics that allow them to see around corners
There is truly no hope for you, I regret taking the bait
>>
>>30263445
>actually believing that tanks can spot and destroy a soldier on a rooftop with an AT rocket every time
see: armored losses in iraq
also
>internet warrior talks about how he somehow knows more than the past 100 years of military tacticians combined
>>
>>30263256
Well, I mean, you can. It's not socially acceptable or efficient at all, but you can do it.
>>
File: image.jpg (53KB, 699x637px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
53KB, 699x637px
>>30263445

I've literally never seen such hard AF bait in my whole life but we are all falling for it.
>>
>>30262764

the AT4 is inexpensive, training the infantryman and paying for his life insurance after he dies is not.
>>
>>30263554
It's inexpensive compared to the $10m tank and the lives of all the crew inside that can be taken away by a single ATGM or a handful of AT rockets
>>
>>30262549

Going by OPs logic we only need nuclear armed ICBMs. Because no conflicts will ever be fought in any other way than a total war and civilians dont exist.

2/10 bait, I responded.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.