[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

UKSF

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 6

File: King abdullah with SAS.jpg (82KB, 900x694px) Image search: [Google]
King abdullah with SAS.jpg
82KB, 900x694px
I know you're all going to laugh me out of the board, but I need this question answered

What is the best field to enter in the UK military if my goal is to join any of the UKSF regiments?

I originally thought the Royal Navy would have some cushy jobs but there's probably no chance of getting in UKSF from there. Infantry seems the main entry point but if I could get in from any other technical fields I would like that more

Thank you for answers
>>
>>30250509
demolitions/combat engineering.
>>
>>30250509
dont most of the sas come from paratrooper stock?
>>
>>30250545
Combat engineering sounds good, it was one of the jobs I was thinking about a while back

>>30250551
Yeah apparently close to 60%, but i'd rather not go into the paras

I'd actually prefer a job in the SRR or something less gung-ho
>>
>>30250509
Generally speaking if you want to go SAS you join the Paras, if you want to join the SBS you go Royal Marines. However the reality is you can go into any part of the British military and then apply to join the Special forces.

Once you are in they will train you in the way that they do things which may be different from other regiments. Honestly just join something you think you'll enjoy,keep your fitness high and try and progress yourself as much as possible I you can get your jump training great, if you can get your commando training, great it, it'll all just make you look better when you put your name forward for selection.
>>
>>30250593
I'm shooting for a Meteorology job in the RN, obvs. firstly i've got to get over that first hurdle of being accepted in and trained in that job, then i'm gonna look into all arms commando course and joining the SRR or any other spec. regiment

The thing that concerns me is that meteorology officers probably don't get much actual soldiering experience at all and this will put me at a huge disadvantage

I might just say fuck it and go for combat engineering instead, although for the SRR they say they generally come from Signals and Intelligence - which then brings me to think about joining as an intelligence op, but again, how much soldiering experience do they get?
>>
>>30250666
Funny I just applied for the army and my first choice of job is in royal signals. As for you're question maybe try ARRSE , some of the info is outdated but better than nothing.
>>
>>30250666
My vest suggestion is just go for something you think you'll enjoy. I have known countless guys go into something because they have some end goal and end up hating the ever loving shit out of their job and in turn the military as a whole. If you get your all arms commando qualification you may get the opportunity to ttransfer and work with 3 Commando brigade which will get combat experience.

I've said this to a lot of guys, and I will also say it to you. The best thing you can do is go into a recruiters and talk to them. Lay it out and ask them questions review your options and then make a decision. It's all well and good listening and talking to guys and Vets on here but at the end of the day I could be some 23 stone lard sitting in a basement somewhere. If you speak to them and your honest with them, yes they may joke about a bit and maybe poke a little fun but expect that, that's the military mentality.

If you ask them serious questions they will give you serious answers.
>>
>>30250794
Been trawling through dozens of ARRSE pages today trying to figure it out

>>30250845
Thanks for the advice, i'll go for the meteorology then because it's what I had my sights set on in the first place. Depending on what the recruiters say I might think about combat engineering because I also wanted to do that before.
>>
>>30250929
Good idea, just keep your fitness up and if I can offer one piece of advice.

never forget the four commando mentalities, even though you may not be a commando if you heed them they will always do you right.

Courage
Determination
Unselfishness
Cheerfulness in the face of adversity

that last one is the most important because if you are going for SF and you can always keep a smile then shit son your set.

I wish you all the best.
>>
>>30250998
Motivational response. I take it you're an ex or current serviceman?
Also any particular recommendations for fitness? Ive been doing running 3x and heavy lifting 3x but I feel like I could be using my time more effectively.
>>
>>30250998
Thanks very much man. Gonna save this thread so I can read it occasionally to keep my spirits up
>>
>>30250509
Royal Marines or the Paras will give you the biggest leg up but you can apply for UKSF in every branch of the Military. I knew a Submariner chef that passed selection and the last time I saw him he was off to do things he could not talk about.
>>
>>30251071
I'm not going to go into what I did for the simple fact it doesn't really mean anything on here. I don't know what your times are but if you look at Royal Marine standards their basic entry requirements are 2x 1.5 mile runs on a 2 degree incline one in 12.30 and then the second 2 minutes later in less than 10.00. Then your looking at around 50 push ups 60 sit ups in two minutes and aim for 8 pull ups.

If you can get your 1.5 mile down below ten minutes that's a good but really it's just do what works for you and keeps you fit. They will train you whenever you join and build you up to the level of fitness they need. Once you've completed your training you can either continue your own plan or use some of the techniques they taught.
>>
>>30251092
Your welcome man, they may break your body make you feel weak and degraded but if you keep your mind strong and focus your anger, aggression and frustration on proving then wrong it will get you far.
>>
>>30251151
Is that 50 push ups and 60 sit ups in 2 minutes or 50 in 2 mins and 60 in 2 mins
>>
>>30251214
Two minutes for each with a minutes rest in between give or take. And the pull ups you are only given one minute. You can download some decent push up and sit up trainers on your phone which help build you up they work quite well.
>>
>>30251243
I've got the push ups, sit ups and pull ups down to a tee

It's just the run that might cause me problems
>>
>>30251310
Honestly running is the one I hated the most it's just a case of perseverance
>>
>>30250509
Jeebus, isnt it enough you created taht shit-tier SA80/L85 thread, but now you just gonna threadspam on your autism? First off, you got a few years, because we all know you are underageB&, and second, start running fatty, like every fuckin day until you can run from your house to your city's limit.

ANd then fuck off to /meg/ where you belong.

>Another 4 threads about Britbong mil incoming over the next 3 hours, until mummy puts him to bed for school tomorrow.
>>
>>30251349
Ugh, I'm not even interested in joining the special forces but it'd be nice to achieve the standards. Considering the Royal Armoured Corps though
>>
File: 1465737148452.jpg (87KB, 666x960px) Image search: [Google]
1465737148452.jpg
87KB, 666x960px
>>30251372
>this is what a Hilary supporter sounds like
>>
>>30250666
>how much soldiering experience do they get?
I can't speak for UK intel, but US Army intel it depends on your unit or where you deploy, or I guess used to deploy when the GWOT was on.

Deployments and unit assignments can vary from S, G, or J 2 shop where you would be doing traditional analysis or working with analysts if you're a collector, to working support for SOCOM or JSOC doing analysis or going out on missions as a collector or to do site exploitation. And if you're a CI agent you could do these assignments, even doing analyst work, or be put up in an office on base somewhere CONUS and wear a suit and tie to work for a TDY.
>>
>>30251391
There's is always some fun in knowing that you are one of the fittest even if it's just for bragging rights.
>>
>>30251372
You sir can fuck off, someone came asking a question and it has been answered stop forcing your failures onto others.
>>
>>30251310
press up and sit up bleep tests please?

could you send a link my way?
>>
>>30251103
Well, sundodgers are all a bit mental and I'm pretty sure that's a requirement for SF.
>>
Just to get it out of the way, what about US Army SF? I was just gonna go infantry, then airborne then re enlist under 18x.
>>
>>30251548
Yeah hahahah, to tell you the truth I never considered special forces before but now it's definitely on the table
>>
>>30251633
why not just start on 18x? if you have a reason that's fine, i'm just not sure why.
>>
>>30251617
I resent that, I am as sane as everyone else here, oh wait...
>>
>>30251372
What the fuck are you talking about? I haven't made any threads on /k/ in the past year aside from this one. Fuck off you spaz. I can safely say i'm not underage, but you definitely sound like it

>>30251103
I could apply for a submarine nuclear tech apprenticeship but as I said before, i'm skeptical about any non-combat role since my goal is to be out in the field eventually
>>
>>30250509
Paras, maybe signals.

Or marines.
>>
>>30251706
How do you deal with being under weigh?
Mate of mine ended up in fleet protection, he spent a few months on an astute and hated every second.
>>
>>30250509
Don't do what I did,
>be in recruitment centre
>filling out forms
>leave religion blank as I don't follow any
>get told it needs something, and asked if Christianity can be written in
>say sure, and then am told it doesn't matter, they aren't looking for religious fanatics
>tell them that's not what I heard on the news

I'll never forget it, pretty sure that he wasn't amused at all.
>>
>>30250593
>when you put your name forward for selection.

How do you do that?
>>
>>30252007
It's okay anon, I thought it was funny
>>
>>30251877
>How do you deal with being under weigh?
Being underweight is not an issue for submariners since you get 3 meals a days plus a midnight soup to keep you going, if you choose not to eat then thats on you. I have never known a cook to tell you to fuck off if you ask them nicely to make you a sandwich, treat them with respect and they will see you right.
>>
>>30252052
When talking to a recruiter you can ask that question though it generally involves speaking to your commanding officer and voicing an intrest in going for SF.
>>
>>30252052
Go through your chain of command and just ask, I forget how long you need to have served before you are eligible but provided you are not a fuck up they will put your name forward.
>>
Anybody in this thread know what life is like at pirbright ? Heard I'll most likely be doing basic training there
>>
>>30252097
>under weigh

Anon, I think you may have misunderstood him but I am not 100% on it:

>under weigh, Nautical. in motion; under way.
>>
>>30252097
Not a typo.
Let me rephrase, how do you deal with being at sea in a submarine. Because a month in my mate was desperately wishing he'd gone to one of the land based battalions.
>>
>>30252465
Buggery, presumably.
>>
OP, you sound like a retard who isn't gonna amount to shit in the forces, let alone make it into SF, but on the off chance that you're not (and just to give me a chance to feel like a clever know-it-all) then you should join the Parachute Regiment. The Special Forces Support Group is part of the UKSF directorate and provided you're not a total mong and are prepared to wait a few years you're essentially guaranteed a tour with 1 Para (the core of the SFSG assault element) at some point if you join the Paras. Unfortunately, if there's no war on, you'll get all the gucci training and equipment and no opportunity to use it since all the clandestine shit is small scale enough to be performed exclusively by tier 1 UKSF units and their support elements. But its actually feasible, unlike the chances of you passing conventional UKSF selection. Alternatively do the same thing but replace Para Reg with Royal Signals and SFSG with 18th Sigs.
>>
>>30252992
Thanks for the advice but i'm curious, why do I sound like a retard? I'm not saying i'm not a retard, just want to know why I come across as one
>>
File: 1460276573461.jpg (255KB, 1100x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1460276573461.jpg
255KB, 1100x1600px
>>30250509
Ya'll are the laughing stock of the world.
>>
>>30253301
Because when that guy is sitting in his basement he wants to feel better and a know it all but didn't seem to read any of the rest of the thread and the reasons for you wanting to do your career and going for SRR. Just ignore him op he is probably just mad he never achieved anything.
>>
>>30250509

If you don't care about being combat-arms/infantry before trying out for SAS/SBS then I'd join the Royal Navy just because the Royal Navy is a pretty cool historical thing.

Then again I am an American former Marine so my opinion on this means nothing really, hah.

I guess what I'm trying to say is splice the main-brace, shipmate.
>>
>>30253315
>Americans
>thinking anyone is the laughing stock but them

you guys do know we have a secret second UN where all the countries meet up and gossip about you
>>
>>30253349

Oh, and yes I understand that the entire UK Military is a 'cool historical thing'. I just mean that I enjoy maritime history and the Royal Navy is a gigantic part of that.
>>
>>30253351
Laugh all you want, at least we didn't start two world wars.
>>
>>30253392
... Neither did the UK? Like I'm sorry if you missed the memo on that one USA.
>>
>>30252465
How the fuck does a Royal Marine end up on a Submarine? I did 8 years and not once did I go to sea with one of them, what did he do day to day?
>>
>>30253392
only dozens of retarded meatgrinders elsewhere
>>
>>30253392
Don't act like the weren't in on the fucktarded alliance bullshit that the rest of Europe was that immediately preceded WW1. As for WW2, you should have either fucked Germany harder than you did with the treaty of Versailles, to keep them from being able to start shit, or not fucked them hard enough to piss them off to the point that they started shit.

>>30253424
And yet none of those involved the armed forces of nearly every nation on Earth, and at least half of them is us trying to clean up your messes from when your mapmakers decided that this patch of land in whereverstan is now 5 five different countries.
>>
>>30253301
>>30253330

How many people with the capacity to become Special Forces officers (bearing in mind that relative to the rest of the armed forces, there are a TINY, TINY number of operational officers in UKSF) don't have the nonce to figure this elementary shit out for themselves? The answer is none. OP has to seek validation to confirm his suspicion that meteorological officers in the Royal Navy don't tend to get much in the way of prep for walking 30 miles a day, shitting right next to the same rain flooded ditch they're sleeping in, caring for septic blisters, and then pitching improvised, combat orientated planning exercises?

Exactly how hard is it to figure out that the job which will best prepare you for an infantry-centric career is, shockingly, the infantry? How hard is it to figure out that if you don't want to join the infantry, then you better learn to do all the things the infantry does of your own accord (and then still expect to get turned away for having absolutely no credible relevant experience)? Want to join the SRR? Look at which trades were most common in 14 Int. Or does that require too much intuition for a future SF officer?
>>
>>30253441
Damn it, first one meant for >>30253417
>>
>>30253446
He had a question, it was a reasonable question, we tried our best to answer the question.

As far as I'm concerned if you insult someone that may want to serve their country you can take a ride on the good old go fuck yourself train.

OP if you want to go into it, damn well do it if you want to try and go SF then fuck yeah you go try do it. If you don't make it at least you'll still be in a career you enjoy.
>>
>>30251679
Just so I can be in tip top shape and I'll already have a lot of experience. Just decreases my chances of being washed out.
>>
>>30253446

You would think all this is true but the reality is that PT is 99.9% of what is going to get you through SF selection in any context.

Of course everyone hates this because they truly wish and often actually believe that 'having the heart to finish' and 'never quit', being a good field soldier, etc. etc. are good enough to get through.

Yes, those are important thing but again, a hard truth is that they AREN'T THAT DIFFICULT TO CULTIVATE.

Some of the best SF guys I have known came from random ass MOSes. Then again the majority of them come from the infantry and many, many of those infantryman come from the 75th ranger reg. but it's not at all a given.

Again, the cold hard truth: PHYSICAL FITNESS IS WHAT WILL MAKE SF SELECTION A BREEZE. If you are a PT stud then SF selection will be ABSOLUTELY, STAGGERINGLY EASIER for you then those that aren't. And if you aren't a PT stud, it will be difficult BECAUSE OF PT, and if you simply are shit at PT, you won't pass no matter how much heart you have.
>>
>>30253446
Hey smart guy, I never said i'd only want to go into it as an officer. I am fully willing to go into it as a soldier. All I really want is some action and skills that will serve me for the long term
>>
>>30253547
It isn't just physical fitness, it is a variety of factors. If you don't have the mindset/mentality even when you're thick and you think you do, it will affect you during selection. What you are talking about is motivation which is a requirement as well, but you will be tested psychologically as well. And even after that, if they don't think you would be a good person to be in combat with for whatever reason, they won't let you in.
>>
>>30253824
>even when you're thick
Autocorrect I meant fit
>>
>>30253824

No, every single thing I said still stands. I said that everything else is important as well but the cold, hard truth is that PT is absolutely, far and away, the number one thing that will make selection possible or impossible.

It does not matter one single iota if you have every single bit of the 'variety of factors' you are talking about if you can not pass the gated evolution.
>>
>>30255650

Gated evolutions that is, plural.
>>
>>30250509
wait, are those 416s? I thought the SAS uses c8s?
>>
File: coltcanada_com_20140624_172551.jpg (95KB, 658x518px) Image search: [Google]
coltcanada_com_20140624_172551.jpg
95KB, 658x518px
>>30258191
>>
>>30258241
Ah I see, thought the handguards looked a bit like 416 ones, but wasnt aware of this c8 model.
>>
File: 1411872072428.png (63KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
1411872072428.png
63KB, 225x225px
>>30251521
Sauce on that girl on the right?
>>
File: 1465735287430.jpg (327KB, 1364x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1465735287430.jpg
327KB, 1364x2048px
>>30258313
That slut from bad neighbours 2. You don't want her tho she's a Hilary supporter.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.