[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there a minimum enlistment length for new officers? Can an

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (481KB, 3344x1045px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
481KB, 3344x1045px
Is there a minimum enlistment length for new officers? Can an officer serve for a few years and get out like enlisted personnel?
>>
10 years or longer as required by the United States government.
>>
>>30214044

Lies. Do your research, OP. Call recruiters, read the fine print, etc...
>>
Officers don't have "enlistments" dumbass
>>
>>30214044
Complete bullshit
>>30214014
It's not an enlistment, it's a contract, and yes there are different lengths for different branches. For example my first contract out of NROTC was 8 years total, 5 active and 3 reserve, with certain options for pursuing different routes.

It varies for a lot of things but yeah, there are minimum lengths of time for contracts. When your contact is up, you're free to leave.
>>
>>30216017
Do they also add "training length" on top of the contract?
>>
>>30214014

Officer obligations are very different from enlisted obligations. The contract term depends on what the military is willing to offer you, the needs of the nation, and whether they're training you in valuable skills.

A friend of mine is an air force pilot and he said that he's required to do 10 years of active service after pilot training and officer training. He did say that this is about the longest commitment you can get roped into with no prior service, because the training is expensive and the skills are so valuable.

He said he was going to try to fly the AC-130 gunships, and now he can't tell me what he flies, but he's stationed at Hurlburt Field, so I'm guessing he flies the AC-130. That's pretty cool.
>>
>>30216029
Are you asking if the training before you commission (like NROTC/OCS/etc) counts toward the length of your contract? Then no, the time you serve on your contract is after you commission.
>>
AFROTC Cadet here, I'm currently contracted for six years active duty. Commissions from AFROTC vary dependent on job, line officers are in for four, rated six, and pilots ten.
>>
>>30216029
Outside of the time you spend in ROTC, no. So lets say you become a pilot, all of the time you spend in Undergraduate Pilot Training still counts towards your ten year commitment. So, after 2 years of busting your ass, once you're finally a pilot you have eight years left to go out of your 10 total.
>>
>>30214044
>>30215649
>>30216017
only 98% bullshit
Certain pilots (mostly fighters) graduating the Air Force Academy are obligated for 10 years.
>>
>>30216073
Ah I see, do you at least still get paid during training?
>>
>>30214014
Just resign when you get sick of it
>>
>>30216760
resignation is only applicable after your initial service obligation.
There might be an exemption for (nuclear) missile launch officers, but they would get totally fucked for it.
>>
>>30216033
Nice, I've been really interested in becoming a pilot. I read you get matched up against your peers with you pilot scores during training exams. At the end the highest scores get the first picks of the jobs, fighter pilots, etc. Seems pretty badass, Your friend must have been on the short end of the stick, but definitely nothing wrong with that. An amazing opportunity to fly a fucking AC-130
>>
>>30216062
>>30216682

thats for all USAF pilots, and those start when you get your wings.

source: i have wings.
>>
>>30216033
>>30216931

let's just say that AFSOC flies a lot of different types of aircraft, and they don't like talking about it.

>>30217142

for clarity, i meant all the rated obligations (6 for CSO/ABM/RPA, 10 for Pilot) start when you get your wings.
>>
>>30217142
navy wants 10 years too since its your flight school+8 years
do you like your wings? i was thinking of aviator but i dunno im hesitating a little so it might not be for me
>>
File: 1465341937984.png (788KB, 908x962px) Image search: [Google]
1465341937984.png
788KB, 908x962px
>>30216708
It depends, for AFROTC you get a stipend (450$ a month) through scholarship all 4 or after you've contracted following completion of Field Training (Summer between sophomore and Junior year). While commissioned and on Active Duty you make full 2nd lt. Pay.

>>30216931
Rated selections (Pilot, Nav, Spec. Forces, RPA and ABM) are a monster unto themselves. You get compared to not just your peers in your detachment but also every single AFROTC Cadet who's interested in a rated slot for that semester. You're ranked through several criteria, from most important to least important:
1) GPA (STEM gets a small boost)
2) Commander's ranking
3) AFOQT
4) TBAS
5) Field Training score

So, in my case, my commander likes me, I have a 3.95 GPA and I did alright on the TBAS and was ranked well at Field Training. This offsets that I'm a total retard when it comes to testing for math and scored poorly on that section of the AFOQT. You also list your preferences for rated positions when you submit your package.

You rate pilot high and you don't get it they'll put you into your medium Nav and then low ABM since you put no for drones.

Also, getting any pilot slot is getting a hell of a treat. Let alone flying missions for SOCOM, which honestly, is cooler shit than burning holes in the sky in an F-15/16.
>>
I only commissioned 24 days ago, so take what I say with a grain of salt, because in the grand scheme of things I don't know jack shit. But I had no formal training outside of 4 years of NROTC, which taught me next to nothing. I've learned more in the past 24 days than I did all 4 years of college, because I commissioned w/ a SSgt (so 2nd LT now). He's provided a wealth of knowledge.

But anyways, back to your question. Officers don't enlist. You are given a commission and serve at the pleasure of the president. Meaning, when enlisted folk can get out when their terms of enlistment are over. They have to request the Navy to stay in longer. Officers have to request to leave. The way it was explained to me, technically an officer could serve his X amount of years and request to be discharged, and the Navy has the right to say no.

Personally I'm going aviation, so I owe 6-8 years of service, AFTER I get my wings. So basically 10 years. SWO is 4 or 5 years, same as subs I think.
>>
>>30219963
SWO is 4, nuke is 5 since they add powerschool and prototype.
i remember you were the dude who wanted to fly and not be in a sub. did you get the technical interviews and the admiral meeting at that point or were you accepted for aviation before that? do you know much about it

im trying to go for SWO-nuke
>>
>>30219583
is a 3.0 Electrical Engineering degree competitive?

>Commander's ranking
What does this mean for OTS candidates?
>>
>>30220236
I didn't actually go to my interview. Like 4 days before I was supposed to go to my interview, my CO did his thing.
>>
File: rq4.png (75KB, 517x359px) Image search: [Google]
rq4.png
75KB, 517x359px
>>30220369
Depending on what you're looking at, for pilots it's going to be a little low but can certainly be boosted by other means, and once more, you're getting inherent extra points due to the STEM field. If you want CSO your chances are better and they'll take about anyone with a pulse for RPA (myself).

Second, and I forgot to mention this, get some flight hours under your belt because they're going to help you a ton. Make sure they're logged and I think you need over 6, but you get a lot of extra points from that.

Third, not sure how Commander's ranking would carry over to OCS. Sorry.
>>
>>30220467
Do flight hours actually matter for yall? In NROTC, they didn't even ask if we had flown before. And GPA/major didn't matter as much as the commander's ranking and ASTB score did.
>>
>>30220533
Yeah flight hours are a huge boost for Pilot/CSO/RPA selections. It's the easiest way to boost your scores since it doesn't involve a test or your commander's raking.
>>
>>30220236
Also to further expand upon what I said earlier:
>selected for subs @ service selection, even though I put it dead last
>get a interview date for late March
>get sent to Pcola for my dive physical, while there also get another flight physical
>while in Pcola, learn I wasn't even eligible to get selected for Aviation when service selection occurred, because I didn't pass first flight physical b/c when I got it, it hadn't been 6 months since my LASIK surgery
>get back to my unit, passed both new physicals
>be meeting with a sub Nuke LT from our sister NROTC unit
>resigned to my fate
>literally 4 days before I leave for Washington DC, CO calls me into his office
>be honest with him, tell him I'd rather do anything but subs (but in a respectful way), but that I understand the needs of the navy
>the next day, he called me in again
>he had canceled my nuke interview
>like 2 weeks later I was officially redesignated as 1390 (student Naval aviator)

Thank God a fucking O-6 cared about a lowly MIDN. It still blows my mind that he cared enough to do something.
>>
>>30220604
Subs are volunteer only for a reason. They really don't want people on them that don't want to be on them.
>>
>>30219544

i like my life. it's like anything, though. there are good days and bad days. a week of 0600 sims to flights is sucky though.

>>30220467
>>30220369

there's no commander's ranking for OTS. a board meets and racks and stacks everybody who applied for that board.

i got a CSO slot with a 3.0 undergrad engineering and a 3.2 master's engineering from a good school. CSOs tend to have a lot of OTS grads and UPT washouts. my B course had 3/10 of the WSOs as washouts, 4/10 if you include the dude who had crappy depth perception. only 2 of us were ROTC including a washout. for our pilots, 7/10 were academy grads. lotta FAIPs too.

>>30220570

even one hour helps
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.