[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why did Germany build so many unnecessary tanks and variants?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 35
Thread images: 4

File: jagdpanther.jpg (84KB, 700x431px) Image search: [Google]
jagdpanther.jpg
84KB, 700x431px
Why did Germany build so many unnecessary tanks and variants? Did they not consider logistics and maintenance? I guess you can say I'm a bit of a wehraboo, but I just think German tanks look badass more than anything else. You would think as the war dragged on, they would try to simplify production and lower costs, but no, just kept coming out with completely unnecessary shit instead of upgrading or improving the stuff they already had. Better yet, just fucking copy the T34 and call it a day.

Good tier:
>Pz. IV
Should have upgraded suspension and tracks after the new 75mm gun and armor were added, but overall a good tank.
>StuG III/IV
Another good design. Cheap to build, low profile for camouflage and ambushes. Cost-effective vs other tanks.
>Hetzer
Cheap, easy to hide, good gun against most allied tanks. Shit armor, but it's an ambush weapon.

Okay tier:
>Tiger I/Elefant
Why didn't this have sloped armor? Overweight, used a fuckton of fuel, unreliable, expensive. Amazing gun though.
>Panther/Jagdpanther
The transmission breaking after ~60 miles really holds it back. Also cheaper than the Tiger. If the transmission problems were fixed, it would be the best tank of WW2, but it didn't, so that honor belongs to the T34.

Shit tier:
>Tiger II/Jagdtiger
Way too heavy. Breaks down half the fucking time. Extremely expensive. Used even more fuel than the first Tiger.
>Jagdpanzer IV
What was the point of this? Why build this when you can just build a StuG IV?

Oh shit nigger what are you doing tier:
>Maus
>implying

This doesn't even account for the even more special snowflake variants, like the Brummbar, Sturmtiger,
>>
>Nazis
>thinking about the logistical impact of their procurement decisions

You realize the Heer operated like 20 different kinds of trucks.
>>
>>30190255
>Jagdpanzer IV
>What was the point of this? Why build this when you can just build a StuG IV?

It mounted a better gun and had better armor.
>>
The tanks were designed by Hitler himself. His entire scheme was bigger is better (hence tiger, tiger II, and maus).
Obviously you can't say "no" to the fuhrer, so a lot of them were created or prototyped.
>>
>>30190278
not trying to defend OP but at that stage of the war there was no need for a better gun, the 75mm L/48 had enough pen to knock out any allied tank till the end of the war. Amor improvements were marginal and made little diference, basically at that point there was no need for something better.
The resources they wasted on further TD development just set them back since it meant fewer tanks were being produced. They probably wouldn't win the war anyway, but with more tanks they could have mounted a better defense on some fronts.

After mid 1942 - early 1943, Germany should have improved their production and not what they were producing per se. They should even have cuted their production to just tank destroyers and use them in their defense lines since at that point mounting a serious impactful offensive was just a no go imo

but hey, what do I know? its just an opinion
>>
>>30190289
Was hitler that retarded? I have literally zero knowledge or experience in military logistics, but it doesn't take a genius to figure out having a bunch of different shit on the front lines is a bad idea. Did he also not figure out the fact that you need a lot of oil to fuel his war machine?
>>
>>30190605
When it came to Hitler, resources were no problem. That's why he (tried) to make the Atlantic Wall. Millions of tons of concrete across all of West Europe.
Nazi Mega Weapons is a good show, you should watch it.
>>
>>30190255

>Why didn't this have sloped armor?
Because all sloped armor does is increase the likelihood of a round glancing off of the tank instead of penetrating properly.
The Tiger I already had great frontal armor, and sloping it would have just reduced crew space.
>>
>>30190255
>Why didn't this have sloped armor?

The Tiger I was a rushed design, made of different projects long in development. It's amazing that it worked.
>>
>>30190255
Because the Nazis didn't operate based on loguc, they operated based on feeling better than everyone else and just assuming as such. Thus they thought they were super smart and deserved to have the best vehicles they could possibly design. 'course they kept trying more and more to make them bigger and better and they all ended up sucking.
>>
>>30190713
I've heard the argument that Germany actually needed better tanks than the Allies because of superior crew quality. An anon said that giving experienced crews a better tank meant better effectiveness and survivability. You could replace tanks, but not experienced crewmen.
>>
File: 1312162266898.gif (596KB, 283x161px) Image search: [Google]
1312162266898.gif
596KB, 283x161px
>>30190255
>If the transmission problems were fixed, it would be the best tank of WW2, but it didn't, so that honor belongs to the T34.
Get the fuck out.
>>
>>30190777
The M4 Sherman actually had better crew survival rates because of the roomy (relatively) crew quarters and large, easily reachable hatches.

Once you got wet ammo stowage, shit got even better.
>>
>>30190255
>Pz. IV
>Should have upgraded suspension and tracks after the new 75mm gun and armor were added, but overall a good tank.

I'm not extremely knowledgeable about WW2 tanks, but this would have been quite an improvement with perhaps the occasional Tiger 1 thrown in there.

I believe there was a proposal for the P4 version with actual sloped armour and redesigned suspension topped off with a better engine. I think they did reach the limit on what they could fit in the turret which made it big problem with regards upgunning and countering of Russian armour.
>>
>>30190777
When the tanks break down trying to get to the fight, they're not much use.

What they needed was a properly tested and reliable Panther. But they rushed it into production so they could use them at Kursk because they were more survivable against the massed AT defences than PIVs, but most of them broke down and the PIVs had to do all the work anyway.
>>
>>30190255
>Why did Germany build so many unnecessary tanks and variants?
why so many threads always asking the same old questions
>>
>>30190892
Everyone isn't prowling this shit forum all day nigga
>>
>>30190255
>Nazis
>Logistics
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (26KB, 464x210px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
26KB, 464x210px
>>30190684
>sloping it would have just reduced crew space
>I'm a retard.

>>30190255
They knew they were in trouble, and the only way out was to try and R&D their way out of it. It's not like as if they could try to outproduce the entire rest of the world. It's also not like as if the other cuntries also didn't have many different taks and variants. Germany also was at war the longest, so had more tank types used.

>Jagdpanzer IV
They wanted more tank destroyers, and it's not like as if you can make a tank factory suddenly produce an entirely new tank.
>>
>>30190255
Ferdi and tiger are not the same tank chassis. Ferdi / ele is a tiger p Hull.
>>
File: 11.jpg (252KB, 1280x923px) Image search: [Google]
11.jpg
252KB, 1280x923px
>>30190438
>the 75mm L/48 had enough pen to knock out any allied tank till the end of the war
>bugerfat thinks M4 is only tank of the war
>>
>>30191042
>slavaboos think heavy tanks are a good idea

There's a reason the Soviets phased out the IS series in favor of medium tanks.

Medium tanks have the reliability, and the tactical and strategic mobility to actually matter.
>>
>>30191086
Do you aware that IS-2 1944 had better cross-country speed and reliability than T-34/76 1942?
>muh mudum tincans
>>
>>30190255
>T-34 is the best tank of the war.
Stopped reading there
>>
the Elefant only exists because they recycled a bunch of hulls from the failed Porsche Tiger concept.
>>
>>30190661
I'm really afraid to watch any documents about nazis, as they all seem cringeworthy as shit.
It's always a bunch of propaganda about how evil the nazis were
>>
>>30191111
>Do you aware
>completely ignoring actual, recorded Soviet doctrine
And into the trash it goes....
>>
>>30191231
>IS-2 been faster and more reliable than T-34
>doctrine
>>
>>30191172
>implying the T34/85 isn't the best tank of the war
>>
This is why /k/ worries me nowadays. 90% of the posts in this thread are retarded or pretending to be retarded. The remaining 10% are indulging the retards by replying to them.
>>
You forgot the Leopart which was easy to produce, has a good weapon was not to heavy realy maneuvrable and fast
>>
>>30190277
>You realize the Heer operated like 20 different kinds of trucks.

This.

Logistics were never a big thing in the German way of war.
>>
>Jagdpanzer IV

Why not? Later version had the cannon of the Panther.
>>
>>30193488
Because as stated earlier in the thread, the StuG's gun is already good enough for most, if not all purposes.
>>
>>30191482
Implying the tank that was good enough for 4 different countries to use it wasn't the best tank.
Thread posts: 35
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.