[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heavy Fighting/Armored Combat

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 107
Thread images: 17

File: sirkjartan1.jpg (229KB, 800x533px) Image search: [Google]
sirkjartan1.jpg
229KB, 800x533px
Hey /k/, do you guys do anything with armored combat/heavy fighting? I found a group in my area, and want to sit in on their next gathering.

I wanted to ask /asp/, but 99% of the board is greentext about WWE.

Thank you.
>>
>>30103307
I messed around in the SCA for a while when I was younger.
>>
SCA is great fun I did it for years when I was stationed in SoCal where there is lots of events in close driving distance every weekend between LA and San Diego and weather is great!

It is more of a sport and social event then serious study of the techniques of armored medieval combat styles but you will learn something. If you aren't in a dense population (costal) area you will be doing some serious driving for events if you want to be active or get gud. Be prepared to spend around a bare bones minimum of $500 on your kit. Mostly the cost of a decent helmet.
>>
>>30103369
OP

I live in central Maine, and found a faction of SCA based out of Bangor, and a side-project in Unity/Waterville. It looks like the Unity group is only open during school seasons, but I emailed them for info.
>>
>>30103307
>fighting with fucking nerf swords
>>
>>30103795
Those are two inch thick rattan clubs. They're anything but nerf.

But yeah, the SCA is fun as fuck, and I'd recommend it if at the very minimum to find some guys to drink beer and go out in the sun with.
>>
File: rattan sword.jpg (274KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
rattan sword.jpg
274KB, 1280x960px
>>30103795

Let me hit you with my "nerf sword" faggot.
>>
>>30103795
>hating on nerf

did you forget what board you were on
>>
>>30103857
Did you weld that hilt yourself?
>>
>>30103795
American LARP are neckbeards with Nerf shit, European LARP is awesome.
>>
>>30104034

SCA is history focused it isn't a LARP. Fighting is full contact and done with wood swords.
>>
File: BoN trying to charge Russia.webm (3MB, 747x420px) Image search: [Google]
BoN trying to charge Russia.webm
3MB, 747x420px
Did nobody watch Battle of the Nations this year?
>>
File: Brutalfin.webm (3MB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Brutalfin.webm
3MB, 1280x720px
>>30104199
Hell ya man, it was fucking great.
>>
File: FINGOESFLYING.webm (3MB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
FINGOESFLYING.webm
3MB, 960x540px
>>30104529
>>
>>30103857
Only if I get to hit you with my BKS after you hit me with a duct tape covered piece of bamboo. Maybe you'll cry, then when it magically doesn't cut through you like a lightsaber you'll tell your SC(G)A(Y) friends how all those filthy plebeian HMB guys must not hit with full force blows.

SCA is gay as fuck and full of pussies. No matter how hard you swing a 12oz wood dowel it's still a fucking wood dowel.
>>
>>30104117
>Society of creative anachronism
>History focused
Despite your storied few decade history of cringe, the best thing your ilk could so for reenactment at large is stick to D&D. Real reenactors hate you for being 14th century Vikings with armets and plywood tower shields. Hema practitioners and armored combat groups hate you because you're a bunch of smug pussies in armor made from 5gallon paint buckets and couch upholstery with "weapons" made from broomsticks.
>>
I do HEMA and a couple of guys in my club also do SCA. Interesting differences in rules but it feels like another expensive hobby so i'm not really interested in trying it at the moment. Would be fun to test it out in the future though.

One of the guys who does it is a complete moron and physically unfit as fuck. So that's a bit discouraging if it's even more filled with neckbeard than i already have to put up with.
>>
>>30104667
SCA is by neckbeards, for neckbeards.

Hema groups are a mixed bag, my local frei fechter chapter is pretty good.

A harness of plate worth wearing will run you 1500-5 grand but you could put together an earlier riveted maille kit to tailor for a bit less. A good rebated sword (BKS) is also around 500. It's precision AR money right from the get go so of you don't like free sparring it may not be for you. Fighting in harness and getting knocked around is an indescribable experience though.
>>
>>30104739
I'm sorry a local SCA'er stole your love away from you.

Perhaps you can get over it one day by not being so bitter on the internet.

Nah, this is 4chan, You'll just shitpost more and generally be a douche.
>>
>>30105058
I've never met one of you chuds who can hold a conversation without staring at his shoes and mumbling about wrap cuts.

HMB must really make you feel like bitches, seeing as they fight as "hardcore" as you, but use rebated swords and don't let people show up in armor made from LARP gear and angle iron.
>>
>>30103307
I once saw a drunk redneck submit an sca/larp guy who put his armor on at a party by wrenching on this helmet (they fought and the redneck was unarmored, they were both throwing punches.) The larp guy literally begged for mercy, it was the most uncomfortable moment of my life.
>>
>>30104620
> nothing personnel
> kid
>>
File: Krukov vs. Atterdag.jpg (69KB, 760x567px) Image search: [Google]
Krukov vs. Atterdag.jpg
69KB, 760x567px
>>30103307
I fight with the Empire of chivalry and steel. Basically spawned from some SCA nerds who wanted heavier combat. Pic related is me getting my shit pushed in at our last charity ren faire
>>
>armored combat/heavy fighting?
I only do HEMA. but SCA looks fun.

don't like Battle of Nations because all I've seen them do is flail wildly.
>>
>>30105354
Looks like you could have stabbed him right there desu
>>
>>30105390
>All I've seen is them flail wildly
What do you think SCA is?

Watch the HMB tournament, not just the group melees. The guys that win know their shit put of a group of people who internationally know their shit

>>30105354
Do you know where that guy you're fighting got those gauntlets? I use a similar pair I bought from a rapier company about 7 years ago and constant adrian Empire and Renaissance festival demo submission fighting have fucked them six ways to Sunday. They're a pretty good compromise of accuracy and function.
>>
>>30105229
>He fell for teh HMB meme

It's kinda sad that you guys think you're hardcore or doing anything historical combat when all you do is run into each other until you all fall over. It literally looks like giant 3-year olds fighting.
>>
>>30106541
HMB guys have absolutely no skill desu.

It's a fun game, but don't kid yourself into thinking that you're actually learning anything.

HEMA is fantastic for unarmoured and decent for plate harness.
SCA is great for chainmail.
HMB is terrible at everything.
>>
>>30106688
>Pennsic is big, which means it's good! ;_;
Assmad that Viking wrap cuts and "muh shield is magic dat head blow didn't count!" Doesn't work when knocked the fuck out by a proto halberd on a 10ft pole

Or are you one of the perturbed yuropoors who fell for the silicone dildo wasters and can't stand that unit tactics and general strength matter as much as book skills from whichever folio someone told you was quintessential and better than all others?
>Be doing free sparring with federal with a guy who does 110% Meyer
>Ive done mostly talhoffer and armored fighting
>Duel.jpg
>He goes into the key guard
>...
>Statically
>Pop him right in the mask
>>
>>30106688
Wrestling was actually an important part of medieval fights, if you get that close then throwing the other person on the ground is better than trying to hit them.

But being unable to penetrate the armor makes it kinda silly that they're just banging against each other until someone calls time out. There's really no technique going on here, usually no wrestling techniques either. The fights basically look like a rugby match that goes horribly wrong and they forget that there's a ball.
>>
>>30106786
>wrap cuts
Wow, still going for this?
Is it actually 2006 again?

Even HEMAfags are teaching wraps nowadays.
>>
>>30106790
Just imagine a dagger sliding through a voided Everytime someone rides a guy to the ground and that the "helmets cleaved like parchment" is what would happen if those pollaxes weren't modified for safety as they knock someone the fuck out. It's an open field tournament loosely based on foot tournaments with whalebone/hardwood club swords. Steel in 2016 is cheaper than whale ivory, so the equipment is shiny but the result the same blunt force ass kicking.
>>
Hi OP

After reading The Iliad, written by Homer, I want to get a heavy spear plus shield and sword to hunt hogs with.

Boars often charge but I think I would be more than a match for one with an 11 foot spear. It would complement pig hunting with hounds quite well. A lot of guys run around with a big knife they use to stick pigs and a pack of hounds.
>>
>>30104199
>>30104529
>>30104564
How do you determine if youre "dead"
>>
>>30106819
Show me in the I.33 where dem wrap cuts are m8. SCA is a echodome of hotshit wrong opinions.
>>
>>30106826
>Bashing people with swords is totally something that happened in the late middle ages, guise
>I know this because all of the historical and archaeological evidence which doesn't exist

"Just hit them harder" works for chainmail, but it doesn't work for plate. No matter how you spin it, HMB will never be even remotely representative of a real fight.
>>
>>30106853
Right, I forgot that I.33 is the only source on the planet, and that nobody else has ever taught you to strike with the false edge.

But it's good to hear that you're even ignoring HEMA now, because I don't know of a single HEMA group on the planet (except maybe ARMA? Who knows what they're doing) which doesn't teach wraps.

I think what this comes down to is that you've never actually trained in HEMA, SCA or anything else but you still think you have an authoritative opinion based on what you read on an internet forum 10 years ago.
>>
File: loaner armor.jpg (174KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
loaner armor.jpg
174KB, 960x1280px
>>30103307
/wwe/ is cancer, I miss old /asp/

What do you want out of your armored combat and what group are you sitting in on? Pic is the kit the local group lets me use.
>>
File: beh2.gif (13KB, 169x226px) Image search: [Google]
beh2.gif
13KB, 169x226px
>>30106855
>Im so full of mad I forgot how to read
Pic related, blunt force tourney weapons to transmit noticeable but not harmful kinetic energy to an armored opponent. If you think high medieval foot tournaments in tonlet armor (with blunted swords) were fought like a judicial duel, you're retarded.

>>30106872
Only surviving western source showing early medieval sword and center grip round shield fighting m8.

>Muh wrap cuts are just striking with the false edge...
Ineffectively. To get a point in your fruity little combat sporty. False edge strikes done properly are not the same thing as a perversion of kendo and jerking off to Conan the barbarian too much in the 80's which dominates SCA tournaments.
>>
>>30106853
By the way, for anybody else in this thread who doesn't know what this guy's rambling about...
This is what he thinks is nonhistorical and useless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJzI5o6kKj8
>>
Is boxing and wrestling too normie for you guys or someshit
>>
>>30106932
Okay, please tell me in very specific terms the difference between your "correct" false edge strikes and the SCA's "incorrect" false edge strikes.

Also, I'd like to remind you that the SCA very specifically doesn't try to follow solely from manuals in Heavy - we leave that for C&T and rapier, as well as HEMA (which a very large portion of us cross-train in).

There just simply aren't any manuals for what we're doing. Don't imply that I.33 is even remotely representative of armoured fighting, because it isn't. I know that a lot of people can't seem to grasp that SCA techniques are designed for chainmail, but I think it's quite important that you grasp that.
>>
>>30106964
I also do judo and IPSC, as well as a bit of BJJ.
>>
>>30106836
I have a very basic understanding of how it works but I believe it works off of a hit system with the judges keeping count. Though 9 times out of 10 it ends up who can put the other onto the ground first in bigger battles
>>
Whats stopping me from breaking your ankles or knees swinging a blunt piece of metal 2 handed full force
>>
>>30106937
Why would it even make sense to strike with the false edge there to begin with? He's bringing his hand down with the true edge first and then he swaps over. For what purpose? Feels like you don't win anything on it, you'll lose force switching around.
>>
>>30106991
It's basically about something which we call "power arcs", which are part of the broader idea of "measure".

Essentially it changes the region of the sword's arc where you have the most power, letting you hit at a deeper (and harder to defend) angle.
It is definitely slower and a bit less powerful than a standard snap, so it's situational, but especially when you're attacking the left side like that (where they could potentially drop their shield fast enough) it is pretty handy.
>>
File: 82-038_xl_1.jpg (78KB, 1001x950px) Image search: [Google]
82-038_xl_1.jpg
78KB, 1001x950px
>>30106989
In the case of HEMA you use various leg protection. Like these for example, MC leg protectors. They're enough for the longswords but not enough for the larger montantes. There's really no good protection against the really big ones, so they don't really have tournaments with them. It's too dangerous.
>>
>>30106989
Not a lot, frankly.
Attacking the lower legs with a sword is generally a pretty bad idea because it overcommits you, but with a polearm it's one of the main target areas.

As a SCAdian it is a real shame that we ban strikes from the knee down, but I understand why they do it. Your shins are really close to the skin (with no muscle protection) and they're planted on the ground which makes them break really easily.

As far as I know HMB and most HEMA tournaments allow shin strikes, but I think HMB guys might wear way more armour and HEMA generally doesn't need to hit as hard as the other two styles.
>>
>>30107020
So you basically admit that you'll come in with a pretty weak false edge attack. That reminds me of some techniques i've seen described in military saber that were designed specifically for honor duels to inflict injuries enough to cut through shirts and draw blood that weren't so serious they'd have to get to the hospital. Not really buying it as a legit method outside of SCA.
>>
>>30106836
In the 1v1s it goes by number of hits, in the groupfights it's all about getting the other guy on the ground. Knees or above, IIRC.
>>
>>30103307
When I was going to a community college I did some messing around with fencing and boffer weapons, padded metal or wood poles.
We wore some mock metal or thick plastic armor with legit leather and steel gorgets and helmets.

It was quite fun but I didn't have the free time to move on to joining some SCA group.
>>
>>30106937
Which it is
>Training without accounting for your opponent not being a static idiot
>Not useless
>Not training with proper footwork
>not useless
Your "expert" would have been greeted to a blow right across his open face. Should have kept his shield up instead of going through set forms that rely on your opponent's ignorance.
And that isn't entirely what makes you look like such idiots, it's the bear hugging and tapping each other in the back with your broomsticks until one guy get winded that's so retarded. Your "hardcore bruh" chapters do a lot of that.

>>30106968
>There just aren't any manuals for what we're doing... with our rules stating that any hit is a effective blow... as if we weren't wearing armor...
If you have a sword and a shield and intend to fight like you're from the 8th-12th century the I.33 is the closest plausible starting point.
>Thinking scgays mongrel kendo-stage fighting hybrid would be effective against maille and gambesons with sharps
Really now

High medieval and the various fetchbuchs showing sword/messer and buckler are your go to, also without armor.
>>
>>30107071
>Pretty weak
No, it's still hard enough, but it doesn't have the same potential for power as a snap.
We're talking about 70%, here.

I honestly don't get what you take issue with about it. It's demonstrably hard enough, and it demonstrably works against resisting opponents.

>>30107091
You really think that footwork is bad? Please, critique it.
And you rag on about "historical training methods", and yet you still think that pells are a bad method?
Please, post a timestamped picture of your training gear. Because I guarantee that you've never sparred in your life.

>it's the bear hugging and tapping each other in the back with your broomsticks until one guy get winded that's so retarded
You realise that this is literally against the rules, right? You can't grapple and one good strike ends the game.

>I.33 is the closest plausible starting point
But it isn't. Armoured fighting is completely different to unarmoured fighting.

We've also tested our force calibration numerous times against pigs wearing gambesons and mail. Go figure, the force level is perfectly fine.

But hey, if you want to keep telling yourself that armour means absolutely nothing in a fight, you're probably not worth trying to convince anyway.
>>
>>30107091
I'd also like to point out that not all shields are the same and that you won't be wrapping against a guy with a buckler anyway, but I fear it would fall on deaf ears.
>>
>>30107070
They don't allow lower leg strikes because you're all too poor to afford properly fitting greaves. And if you were properly armored there then lower leg strikes would be entirely useless anyway.

When I do submission show fighting (inb4 this thing that is not historical for drunks and kids is not accurate REEEE) I pretty much ignored every blow struck below the waist because I have a white harness and pretty much don't feel them. 10000 hits to the leg are worth less than one solid bell ringing hit to the helmet.
>>
>>30107185
>And if you were properly armored there then lower leg strikes would be entirely useless anyway
Well the archeological evidence suggests otherwise, but whatever.
>>
File: IMG_20160403_234717250.jpg (1MB, 2142x3367px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160403_234717250.jpg
1MB, 2142x3367px
>>30107142
Touching shields and trading back taps until someone gets tired is standard SCA tourney fighting m8. Maybe your group is more anal about "every hit counts" but most go fullbore airsoft cheater and REEEE that it was glancing until they're forced to acknowledge it.

>You really think that (entire lack) of footwork is bad!
Also striking with the arm and not the hips. Holdouts in one of yhe groups I've worked with who got started when the sca was the only game in town fight like that. Rigid, stagnant, with mechanically weak strikes from the shoulder or wrist.

>Armored fighting is different
If you follow your rules you're essentially fighting unarmored. None of what you do would bust a properly made mailed shirt. Look at the Visby mass grave, the lack of greaves and lower leg armor meant... get this... most of the deaths were caused/facilitated by leg wounds. Because even in the mid 14th century with mass proliferation of rigid body defenses and weapons designed around them it's actually possible to shove a spear in someone's face or cleave them in the neck instead of their maile clad clavicle.

>Ur just lying REEEEEEEEEE
I've shown you mine, you show me your pots and pan harness m8
>>
>>30107196
See
>>30107196
The Gotland militia had large numbers of coifs, Coats of plates, helmets, maille shirts, etc. And most of the mass grave skeletons documented lower leg wounds. Because they didn't have much lower leg armor amongst their ranks.

You think that a cut to a cased greave will lightsaber through it like a katana through a Sherman tank?

You do realize that hard leg armor developed long before rigid arm defenses... right. Protip: it had something to do with horses and what is easily struck from the ground on a riding individual
>>
File: 1464385279746.png (355KB, 500x446px) Image search: [Google]
1464385279746.png
355KB, 500x446px
>>30107322
>more rust than a warehouse of mosins.
>>
>>30107322
>Also striking with the arm and not the hips
Looks to me like he's using his whole body.

>None of what you do would bust a properly made mailed shirt
Except we've tested it numerous times.
Hell, there are entire Youtube channels pretty much dedicated to it.
We aren't trying to "cut through the mail", that's obviously never going to happen. It's largely about blunt force trauma.

And yeah, a coat of plates is more effective than mail. That's why it was invented.
You may also note that for face thrusts, we have the exact same force requirement as HEMA because we have the same level of assumed armour.

Really, I recommend you train more. Find a good knight, squire to them and work your ass off. Shitposting online doesn't make you a better fighter.
>>
>>30107385
It's shiny now bub, rust is what happens when you use it for 12 hours each weekend for a few months.
>Implying that's even a lot of rust.

I guess aluminum window moldings and upholstery leather don't need much upkeep in your kit.
>>
>>30107397
>We've done that
If every one in your group pooled your money you couldn't afford one foot by foot scrap of historically correct maille.

No butted maille isn't correct
No Indian riveted maille isn't correct
No your moms tablecloth turned into a gambeson isn't a correct quilted Aketon 2-3 fingers thick of compressed cotton and rags.

>I think he's doing it right, it's what I do!
Exactly. Sca fighting is a sporterized system that fails immediately in crossplay with the correct methods. Note how the idea of utilizing footwork, the shield, and yhe sword never crosses your sensei rothsteins mind. Because it isn't how he was taught. In the SCA.
>>
>>30107406
It's shiny now bub, rust is what happens when you use it for 12 hours each weekend for a few months.
Literally 5 minutes with an oily rag after events/practice to keep it.
>Implying that's even a lot of rust.
that is quite a bit of rust. it just happens to be the easy to remove kind.

>I guess aluminum window moldings and upholstery leather don't need much upkeep in your kit.
Chill out jiggaboo jones, not even the guy you were originally arguing with. That said, it was common for Knights to paint their armor to prevent rust.
>>
>>30107479
>No Indian riveted maille isn't correct
?
>>
>>30107479
So are you basically saying that it's completely impossible to kill a mail-armoured person with a sword?
Do I really need to go as basic as saying "look at the fucking Bayeux Tapestry" here?
And no, "2-3 fingers thick" is far too thick.

But anyway, I'd like you to show me some evidence of SCAdians "failing in crossplay" with assumed mail armour. Obviously we don't know how to fight unarmoured as well as HEMA guys, because we aren't training to fight unarmoured.
>>
>>30107479
>No butted maille isn't correct

Not to sound weaboo here. but the japanese made extensive use of butted mail.

of course, it's a moot point because it was rare if ever used in Europe.
>>
I used to do HEMA, but eventually gave up because armour is too much effort and cost to maintain. Seriously, so many broken straps and whatever, I would have to take my armour to leather works to make new straps and rerevit it all back together at least once a month, and this wasn't weak, cheap leather as well, but incredibly expensive super strong leather.

That being said, HEMA can be pretty hardcore, I've been knocked out before, lots of blood and bruises after fights and there are times I would say I've probably come close to killing or seriously injuring someone else before.

Another thing is that it really gives you an appreciation for how fucking crazy combat must have been in the medieval era in full armour, after struggling to keep up fighting even after 5 minutes, I just cannot see how people in full armour fought entire battles lasting hours.
>>
>>30107495
The widely available Indian made riveted maille that brings the 15ft rule of accuracy to about 5ft is made entirely differently than period maille. There is literally one guy within the historical arms sphere making correct representations and that shit costs more than most cars. If you could even manage to buy it. Tests derived from "muh deadliest warrior live testing between two moderately priced reproductions" are worthless.

>>30107538
Most Japanese butted maille is keyring style with as much as a full circle le overlap and most Japanese maille is riveted. After the warring States period when armor became show pieces first and foremost we see a lot more butted maille appear.

The Indians also used it, also in the early modern era.

>>30107534
>2 fingers compressed is too thick... because the cheap repro I bought isn't like that...
You need to get yourself some myarmoury. Maybe they'll help knock the SCA out of you.

Your ruleset is fight to the first touch, hence the propensity to retarded shit. This isn't a difficult idea to understand. Ive sparred under similar conditions, but real unarmored techniques (like from the I.33 if you are using a center grip shield) btfo SCA cheese every time.
>>
>>30107660
>Not just making your own straps
Leatherworking is easy desu

Also, you're probably hitting way harder than you need to.
>>
>>30106541
If you're referring to the guy on the left, thats me. I actually got them on ebay. Frankly we find about half our armor on there.
>>
>>30107677
No, really. Can you actually tell me specifically what is wrong with commercially-available riveted mail? I'm genuinely curious.

>2 fingers compressed
Okay, so apart from the fact that there is literally not a single source on the planet showing gambesons being that thick, there's also the fact that it's just impossible to move with the mail that far away from your body. People have tried your thicker gambesons, and they just don't work.

>fight to the first touch
No, it isn't. It's fighting to the first potentially lethal or debilitating strike.

But I really don't get why you're so obsessed with I.33. It's fine for unarmoured stuff, but it just doesn't teach strikes that have anywhere near enough power for mail. There's a good reason why we use a lot of influence from I.33 for C&T but not for Heavy.
>>
>>30107495

Indian maille uses the same size rings throughout. Most historic maille used smaller rings in high-risk areas and bigger rings in low-risk areas to reduce weight and production time. The Indian stuff is at least as protective though so really it's just nitpicking at best and elitist snobbery at worst.
>>
>>30107709
Guy on the right. Mitten gauntlets seem to hold up the best. At some point when I put together a full Burgundian or Gothic harness I'm going for mitten gauntlets with cosmetic fingers. Same with the back burner 17th century Reiter harness.

>>30107740
>What is wrong with it
Everything

Rivet holes are cut, not punched making it significantly weaker. Rivets are wrong, material is wrong, diameter is definitely wrong, and thickness is wrong. Read the maile unchained spotlight article on myarmoury.com for more info as to the specifics of proper maille construction.

>Literally not a single source
https://myarmoury.com/talk/viewtopic.php?p=298748

Hella wrong. For high medieval arming garments a few layers of linen with a shell works fine, but earlier gambesons let alone standalone padded armor would be significantly dense in the torso at the least. There are multiple period sources detailing the construction of a gambeson to be in line with various ordinances of arms.

>To the first lethal strike
Which is why many of your number are airshitter tier liars about legal strikes. Nothing you can do with a sword will significantly impact a maille armored individual besides striking with a different weapon or an unarmored spot. Which means IRL you are fighting to the touch but some guys never got the memo. That leads to two dudes locked in an epic game of hitting each other in the back with sca wrap cuts going nuhuh dat didn't hit hard enough until Porkins 1 or Porkins 2 gets too winded to continue.

>But it doesn't teach strikes powerful enough for maille
That's the stupidest thing you've said out of a long list of stupid things. You're telling me that your sca wrist strikes are "powerful" and will go through maille like a katana through a machinegun barrel but a proper overhand strike to the clavicle from the hip with proper footwork is weak because the woodcut doesn't show armor?
>>
>>30107920
Well you're in luck because they too originated from ebay.
>>
>>30107920
>Nothing you can do with a sword will significantly impact a maille armored individual besides striking with a different weapon or an unarmored spot
Wow, that's interesting.
I wonder why they're all holding swords in the Bayeux tapestry.
I also wonder why they're using large shields, when typically people with better armour tend to use either smaller shields or no shield at all.

I'm sure nobody ever actually died in wars, though.
>>
>>30107989
>the bayoux tapestry shows guys exploding into blood
and ramses II totally won the battle of kadesh

and type X swords definitely can cut through great helms like in the maciejowski bible shows and warbrands and falchions were antiarmor weapons, totally not designed to be efficient against lightly and unarmored enemies.

but you reenacted deadliest warrior so cutting swords can totally go through maille if the bond with your duct taped zanpakuto is strong enough!
>>
>>30108079
When you start claiming that nobody died in the Norman invasion, you know it's time to get off of 4chan.
>>
>>30103857
ooo, basket hilt
>>
>>30108094
>he thinks the battle of hastings was decided by swords
>he thinks the bayeux tapestry is a primary source
wewest of lads

do you also think tigulated and banded maille are things?
>>
>>30108118
>History disagrees with me, so it must be wrong
Please, just stop.
>>
File: SCA serious business guys.jpg (812KB, 980x850px) Image search: [Google]
SCA serious business guys.jpg
812KB, 980x850px
>>30108135
>history disagrees with me, so it must be wrong!
just stop while you're significantly behind.

next unscientific test you should perform in your fruity little club is test your stronk maille obliterating blows on a heavy bag with a section of ahistorical maille over at least an inch of compressed padding. see how against a target with realistic give whatever sharp you can manage to scrape up does to it.
>the answer will likely contain the words "jack" and "shit"

you're the kind of person who'd argue that ESAPI must be 100% penetrable by 7.62x39 because soldiers wearing it have died to the round, not bothering to look at context because facts don't fit the narrative.
>swords will cut right through maille and effectively bludgeon, we proved it with a half rack under some maille and the dead dry bones cracked!
>this is why we can't use real swords, they're just too deadly!
the entire SCA axiom of broomsticks and butthurt is based on fear that those dangerous rebated swords will totally go through our (butted) maille and break bones (because we wear substandard, improper arming garments). it happens to us and we're so historically correct here in the society of creative anachronism.
>>
File: so many swords.png (724KB, 640x373px) Image search: [Google]
so many swords.png
724KB, 640x373px
>>30107989
>>
PRAISE THE SUN!
>>
>>30108295
Not even the guy you're arguing with here, but you are honestly the biggest sperg I've seen here in a while.
>>
>>30108365
>>
File: armor.jpg (816KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
armor.jpg
816KB, 1280x1024px
Currently would making a set of 15th century armor, not fitted to a specific person or anything extremely detailed still be more expensive than getting a full set of mail armor made, properly riveted with different sized rings for the different parts of the body?
>>
>>30109335
What I mean by the set, is just the plates for the plated sections of the armor. Not including the mail or gambeson or anything
>>
File: 14thBrig.jpg (90KB, 1127x636px) Image search: [Google]
14thBrig.jpg
90KB, 1127x636px
>>30109335
15th century armor like in your pic tends to run pretty high as far as price is concerned, also with plate you really need it fitted to you if you plan to do anything with it. If you're planning on fighting in your armor you may want to consider a 14th century suit. especially if you go with transitional armor like a coat of plates, Wisby gauntlets and splinted limbs you can actually make your own armor with very few tools. the helm will most likely need to be bought unless you want a flat top great helm.
>>
>>30108341
I see a hammer an ax and a bunch of spears. Where are the swords?
>>
>>30108389
I see a sword now, but theres only one and one axe, maybe two.
>>
>>30109995
That hammer is probably an axe too. Warhammers were not a common sight on 11th century battlefields.
>>
>>30109995
It's pretty obvious a few of them are wearing swords
>>
Ok now that the battle of the two spergs is over can we get some actual discussions about it?

Obviously everything you do in the sport is a simulation because otherwise the risk of injury is too great. But fact remains that there's very little sword technique being used in SCA, it's more about beating each other up with sticks than learning real sword fighting.

If you just want to get banged around because you think it's fun then sure, go ahead. But as you can tell from this thread it's riddled with autism and fatties. What decides if the club is bearable is the people in it, just like with anything else. So go try it out and see if it's a positive environment or just full of elitist idiots who argue about everything.

The percentage of overweight people is a good indication to if the club is actually serious with fitness and pushing themselves to get better or just neckbeards with sticks who rely on retard strength.

I once sparred with an SCA dude in my HEMA club and he just stood on stiff legs and banged one strike as hard as he could every single time he was sparring with anything. Generally terrible fighter who didn't even want to bother improving, he just kept making excuses about why his footwork sucked. Tried to argue that it was because he was so much taller than everyone else, which was bullshit because when paired up with me i was only like 2cm shorter so he couldn't use that excuse on me, but he tried anyways.
>>
>>30107397
>It's largely about blunt force trauma.
Who did test blunt force trauma?
>>
>>30104199
>That guy in white that reks his friends shin at the end

Kek
>>
>>30111702
>there's very little sword technique being used in SCA
>has never seen a knight
>>
File: bascinet image-1.jpg (246KB, 533x715px) Image search: [Google]
bascinet image-1.jpg
246KB, 533x715px
>>30107397
>You may also note that for face thrusts, we have the exact same force requirement as HEMA because we have the same level of assumed armour.

HEMA includes both "no armour whatsoever" and "full plate".

>>30109546
14th century armour is also a lot more generous about the waistline.
>>
>>30106988
>>30106836
In mass battles (buhurt) who fall on the ground is dead. In duels by point system.

http://botn.info/en-rules-regulations
http://botn.info/rule/en-rules-for-buhurt-category
>>
>>30104199
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBt5iKa3YSM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-ob95SxIpw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4m9jCgXrR0
>>
>>30103307
Post slavaboo kits for /k/omrades
>>
>>30106836
I believe they use some type of point system. Frankly I'm more partial to a black knight scoring system.
>>
>>30106975
Are you me?
>>
>>30107070
>Attacking the lower legs with a sword is generally a pretty bad idea because it overcommits you, but with a polearm it's one of the main target areas.
Geyzlen, ever heard of it? Lower leg strikes are common in HEMA.
>>
>>30103307

I'm currently in the SCA, but I'm just in it for the fighting. I don't care to develope a "historical persona" because I think that's mildly autistic. Also,

>tfw just finished kit
>tfw no more loaner shit
>>
>>30113728
>I'm currently in the SCA, but I'm just in it for the fighting. I don't care to develope a "historical persona" because I think that's mildly autistic.
I'm in the same boat, though I would like to develop an historical kit so I have something to display on an armor stand that actually looks good.
>>
>>30103307
OP; I have a vid that explains a little about heavy blade/armored fighting in Japan. it is a long watch but worth it and explains a lot about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CB9DfCXb1qs

I can offer you more if you like that. inb4 "weeaboo-" I'm not.
Thread posts: 107
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.