[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DIY Rifle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 6

File: DSCF6311.jpg (459KB, 1280x960px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF6311.jpg
459KB, 1280x960px
How difficult do you think it would be to build a very basic rifle? Something very simple, like an early lever action or a break action. I have experience with CAD software, and have a 3d printer that I could use to make negatives with sand cast molds. I also have basic woodworking tools to make a simple stock. The only thing I'm worried about is the barrel, and rifling. How bad would a smooth bore barrel be? Bad enough to warrant buying one or having one machined? I do tech support for a machining shop, and they've been happy to do small work for free in the past for me.
Pic mostly unrelated, shows the general level of precision when using sand cast molds.
>>
File: figure_01.jpg (26KB, 381x180px) Image search: [Google]
figure_01.jpg
26KB, 381x180px
Oh shit I'm retarded. Ignore that op image, this is a good indicator of how precise these molds get.
>>
>>30070028
A smooth bore will work fine if you use the proper rated tubing but rifled blanks aren't that much more money in the end and if you can turn them down and headspace yourself is well worth buying.

Do you have a specific action in mind?
>>
>>30070068
I was thinking about trying for a lever action. From what I've seen, bolt action is probably beyond what I could make with what I have, but a simple lever action rifle looks doable, like something similar to a Henry rifle. If lever action turns out to be too difficult, break action is always an option.
>>
>>30070089
What calibers are you aiming for? Lever actions are slightly more complicated than a Mauser style bolt action, look to last ditch arisakas or volksturm rifles for ideas on how to make something as simply as possible. Though it would honestly be easier to make a semi blowback. Bonus points for delayed blowback
>>
>>30070126
I'm honestly not sure. I already have some 7.62x54r for my mosin, so maybe that, but I was also looking into. 30-06, which looks like a fun caliber. Even .22lr would be fine.
Obviously for the larger calibers a bolt action would be best.
>>
>>30070167
If you have the skill and machinery to make a lever action I'd go for it. Maybe make a Peterson spiral tube from a Remington 14 if you are going to go for a tubular magazine.

Cannot make heads or tails of the patent so if you could translate that into lay speak I'd be happy.
>>
>>30070028
There's a guy on YouTube that makes 1:1 scale models of rifles and the such out of paper that could help. If you are going to make a lever action for 54r it is highly recommended you look towards the 1893 Winchester or modern magnum rated lever actions for ideas on what would work and no blow the bolt into your face.
>>
>>30070089
Rolling block is fairly easy to do.
>>
File: received_10206006598076584.jpg (228KB, 1440x810px) Image search: [Google]
received_10206006598076584.jpg
228KB, 1440x810px
>>30070028
Not very hard. Built this one in a few days.

Granted I used the trigger group from a surplus kit and had the barrel made for me, so its not like, "from scratch" but after looking at all the parts they are so simple I could have easily made most of em. Not the barrel though, no idea how to do that.
>>
OP here. Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm going to look into early bolt action designs, since I want it chambered to a large caliber. Probably mauser style like >>30070126 said.

>>30071456
That's sick. Semi auto or just straight pull?
>>
File: 1464219956907.jpg (291KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
1464219956907.jpg
291KB, 560x560px
>>30070028
>Something very simple
>like an early lever action
>>
File: henry-rifle-loaded.jpg (11KB, 503x144px) Image search: [Google]
henry-rifle-loaded.jpg
11KB, 503x144px
>>30071866
EARLY lever action. I'd never even dream of trying something from the past century.
>>
>>30070028
>lever action
>simple
It's the third most complex firearm there is.
>>
>>30071911
do you somehow think the early ones weren't MORE complicated?
>>
>>30071934
well, to be fair anything before Browning's toggle-lock were more simple.

But still not *actually* simple.

For example, the action alone on a Winchester 1876 had 53 separate parts.
>>
File: all parts.jpg (80KB, 800x384px) Image search: [Google]
all parts.jpg
80KB, 800x384px
>>30071947
>>30071934
VERY early.
But like another anon said, early bolt actions would be much better and simpler.
>>
>>30071990
>"all parts"
>still has hammer, mainspring, trigger, sear, sear spring, and about 20 screws and pins still in receiver
>>
>>30072040
literally this desu, if you can make a lever action rifle you can make a bolt action rifle or a fully automatic submachine gun. but the thing is even this 'simple' lever action rifle still requires a lot of precise parts fitting.
>>
>>30072060
Yep.

Honestly for anybody trying to cast a receiver, a falling-block would probably be the easiest.
>>
>>30072072
as>>30071362 said rolling block it's even easier
unless we are talking about very simple falling block
>>
>>30072094
A very basic rolling block would be caliber restricted since it's relying on the mass of the block instead of an actual locking mechanism.

A simple falling block would be able to handle much stouter calibers.

I don't disagree though, if you're willing to keep it to .38spl and down (gotta be rimmed or you're never getting the brass out) the rolling block would be easier.
>>
>>30071456
>>
>>30072120
You are right about rimmed cartidge requirement, but if I recall correctly unless hammer is fully cocked block can't be "rolled"
>>
>>30072208
Correct, but you're trusting a ledge on the foot of the hammer to keep it "locked".

Not an issue if OP can into metallurgy, but he's talking about sand-casting parts. I'd rather have a fairly large hunk of potmetal holding all dat pressure in than a relatively narrow, short ledge of potmetal doing the same.

Also a rectangular block of even hard steel is going to be pretty easy to carve out with hand tools. Complex arcs are not.
>>
>>30072234
Fair point, but as a fanboy of rolling block i would love it to dominate world one day.
>>
>>30071853
Semi auto, blowback.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.