[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lanyard Rings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 13

Maks have them, Toks have them, old Colts have them, Broomhandles have them, there are lots of aftermarket ones for polymer guns.

Are pistol lanyards still a thing for modern militaries? You see them in pics sometimes but is it common and recommended/required? What are the drawbacks?

What's on your lanyard ring, /k/?
>>
File: product_photo_22_resized.jpg (53KB, 500x313px) Image search: [Google]
product_photo_22_resized.jpg
53KB, 500x313px
inb4 pic related
>>
Also magazine lanyards. What would you even attach it to? It doesn't seem that useful.
>>
File: Colt-M45A1-2.jpg (453KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
Colt-M45A1-2.jpg
453KB, 800x535px
the new issue 1911 has one too
>>
>>30041283
The gun itself. Well, at least for Lee Enfields. The didn't want you losing your one and only magazine.
>>
>>30041260
They still tend to be required by company level SOP in modern militaries. Because they are more often than not thought of as FOB bling instead of a real weapon, people don't take their use too seriously. This is unfortunate, but true. Units care more about retention and accountability than usefulness, so dummy cords on everything.

The upside is retention. The downside is that it feels weird to draw, and the cord might snag on something as you draw.
>>
File: MetfordMK1-12.jpg (83KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
MetfordMK1-12.jpg
83KB, 1024x768px
>>30041482
I was looking for a picture of this. Seems very awkward to use.

(pic is metford, I know)
>>
>>30041516
They probably loaded with stripper clips and removal was probably just for cleaning, but they didn't want you setting it down somewhere and forgetting it. But I don't know, just using redneck logic.
>>
>>30041533
wiki says 10-round mag loaded via 5 round chargers which also seems like an awkward way to do it
>>
>>30041514
>the cord might snag on something as you draw
Or while you're running around, I imagine.
>>
>>30041538
Those wacky Brits!
>>
>>30041514
>required by company level SOP in modern militaries
This is the sort of thing I was looking for. Do you have a rough idea when that got (re)started? It seems like it wasn't a thing for some period between back then and now.
>>
>>30041538
A ten round stripper of cartridges 3.035 inches long would be rather awkward.

Brit soldiers were more or less told to never remove their mags unless something was fucking up.
>>
File: S&W M1917.jpg (311KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
S&W M1917.jpg
311KB, 1024x768px
Cavalry Drill Regulations, 1916, Manual of the Pistol:

"When a lanyard is used the snaps are attached to the butt of the pistol and the magazine, the lanyard is passed over the head and the sliding loop drawn snug against the right armpit. The lanyard should then be of just such length that the arm can be extended without constraint."
>>
They were originally put there for cavalry units so they can ride and not drop the gun somewhere, mags have them for the same reason since revolvers never had that issue.
>>
>>30041260
>Are pistol lanyards still a thing for modern militaries
Considering that soldiers will find a way to fucking lose anything, yeah.
>>
>>30041566
Dummy cording has been a very common thing since at least the 1980s, probably longer.

The military is very big on retention. In a lot of photos of soldiers if you look close, you can see their optics and lasers are tied to their weapons as extra assurance.

The reason you see pictures of soldiers without lanyards is either because the unit leadership decided they didn't want it for some reason. Leaders will have their own varied reasoning. Or the reason is that the soldier is far enough away from their higher leadership and they individually decided "fuck it, I'm removing that thing."

There is a direct relationship between proximity to leadership and soldiers following rules to the letter.
>>
>>30041260
Lanyards were there to just help pull the gun out of the holster especially when wearing gloves. I think the older style flip holsters have fallen out of style lately.

>>30041283
They weren't attached to anything. The magazine lanyards are just to help pull out a magazine.

>>30041482
>>30041516
>>30041533
>>30041538
The Early Lee-Enfields had their magazines chained to the gun so it wasn't lost when magazines were switched from the primary to the secondary magazine. That was before the charger guides were added. When they added charger bridges it was unnecessary to have two magazines and soldiers just carried one in the gun.
>>
>>30041656
Also, I forgot lanyard rings were for cavalry. They would have the lanyard loop wrapped around their wrist so if they accidentally dropped their sidearm they wouldn't loose it.
>>
>>30041656
Where are you getting this weird idea lanyards are meant to pull the gun out of the holster? They are a retention device.

Modern lanyards either retract entirely into a holder or they are those telephone cord looking things. Either way, they are meant to be out of the way. Old lanyards of nylon or 550 cord were always pushed way into the holster to keep them out of the way. Leaving a big loop of lanyard hanging out would be a snag hazard. And it would be a fumblefuck to actually get the gun ready while pulling on the lanyard.
>>
>>30041656
>The magazine lanyards are just to help pull out a magazine
So what, like a little cord attached? Or are you saying that you grab the mag lanyard ring with your fingertips to pull? Because that doesn't seem right.
>>
>>30041283
You would attack a lanyard to it to hang around your neck.
>>
>>30041677

probably from the same origin as sword knots.
>>
>>30041730
Why? What did the lanyard ever do to you? That's just mean.
>>
>>30041516
It would be awkward to reload the mag with it attached like that.
>>
File: 9513625_1.jpg (92KB, 1200x951px) Image search: [Google]
9513625_1.jpg
92KB, 1200x951px
I really wish Piettas came with a lanyard loop. I really want to put one on my Navy.
>>
>>30041692
You're obviously never handled an old military clamshell holster. There isn't much room to get your hand in and pull out the gun easily and quickly. A lanyard isn't any more of a snag hazard than the rest of your kit, canteen, etc.
>>30041712
It's attached to nothing. It's just to help pull out your magazine. They weren't useful in most cases unless the magazine was stuck. Some guns were designed to not let the magazine drop freely (as you were only issued two magazines) so it can help yank it out.
>>
>>30041789
If you're talking about the ALICE holster, I certainly have. No issues pulling a handgun out.

I don't know why you'd think a loose loop wouldn't be a snag hazard. There's a reason everybody tapes up every hanging strap on their pouches and pack.
>>
File: 2945pp1.jpg (582KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
2945pp1.jpg
582KB, 1600x1200px
They're waifu carry devices
>>
File: 1368512173025.jpg (342KB, 915x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1368512173025.jpg
342KB, 915x1280px
>>30041815
>If you're talking about the ALICE holster
No, I am not. I'm thinking of holsters like this.

The lanyards would often be wrapped around your chest or arm though.
>>
File: Untitled-2.jpg (124KB, 800x544px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-2.jpg
124KB, 800x544px
>>30041260
Does anyone know if there was a standard issue lanyard for Swiss P49s, if and so where I'd get one?
>>
>>30041880
Any examples of it being used as a pull device? I've never seen this done.
>>
File: 1296793889526.jpg (698KB, 2094x2587px) Image search: [Google]
1296793889526.jpg
698KB, 2094x2587px
>>30041901
Can't find any atm. If you ever handled an old clamshell holster you would understand. They were designed to protect the gun, not for ease of extraction.

Yes, the lanyard would often be wrapped around your wrist or around your chest or arm, but you would yank on the lanyard to pull it out of the holster part of the way, then grab the grip.
>>
File: laputastonestrap.jpg (57KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
laputastonestrap.jpg
57KB, 640x480px
>>30041819
If I had a Webley I'd be a huge fucking weeb and attach pic related.
>>
>>30041269

>WANT
>>
Thanks /k/ this was informative.
>>
I attach my keys to mine
>>
>>30041260
Quick classic holster/lanyard ring question

I got a 1911, it has a lanyard ring

Recently i bought a ww2 1911 holster (actual not repro), it has some leather string in several square knots (intentional not tangle) which is pretty long; am i supposed to attach THAT to the lanyard ring? Or is that some seperate decorative thing?

No pics of the holster atm because im at work and im obviously not ocing antique holster here
>>
>>30041964
The holster my mak came with is like this. You pull this retarded rip cord to get the gun up, and then the rear sights snag on the leather and then presumably you die.
>>
>>30042633
I usually just attach another gun to it, like Nunchaku
>>
>>30042655
Don't you mean gunchaku?
>>
>>30042652
I'm pretty sure that leather string is for tieing the hoslyer to your thigh. Idk thats how I've used it.
>>
File: 20160523_170508.jpg (4MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160523_170508.jpg
4MB, 4032x3024px
>>30043497
Got home heres a pic
>>
>>30041763
>He doesn't own a drill press and a tap and die set.
That would literally take a few minutes to fabricate. Just do it.
>>
>>30044654
I dunno that looks like decoration.
>>
>>30041656
I was under the impression the enfield mag was never to be removed except for cleaning. No secondary mags were ever produced which is why we're dealing with the shortage of enfield mags
>>
File: TucoRamirez.jpg (18KB, 449x200px) Image search: [Google]
TucoRamirez.jpg
18KB, 449x200px
>>30041730
Tuco Ramirez carry
>>
Yes it is still actively used because every military in the world still uses loosely formed leather holsters without any kind of snap, button, Velcro, clip, or any other method of retaining it
>>
>>30047848
It's used with modern holsters for retention while it's already out of the holster, you mong. It's so that when Joe gets knocked over the pistol doesn't fly out of his hand.
>>
>>30041572
I want that manual.
>>
>>30041964
god damn marlon brando you make me wish i was gay.
>>
>>30044654
thats to tie around your thigh or belt if you can to keep from bouncing around
>>
Modern military still use lanyards. The reason is so that the motherfucker doesnt go missing.

Remember anything you want to keep needs to be tied to you.

Officers love not using a lanyard or dummy cording shit then somehow losing a fucking m9 and have to do bullshit hands across patrols retracing steps looking for a pistol that we all know is long fucking gone.

Also another example is when people dont use retention holsters or play with the button on serpa's and then run and the m9 falls out, if it wasn't for that lanyard the person wouldn't have that m9 still.

Same concept applies with how optics are tied down, all personal weapons are required to have a sling or some attachment point to a soldier (though no always used), and nods are always tied and have D rings attached, along with any other sensitive items.
>>
So we have all these posts speculating on how to use them but no one has any old military pics or anything on how it actually works.
>>
>>30048429
Nigga, you put the string through the ring. You put the gun in the holster. Can can't fall away from you
>>
>>30048471
*Gun can't
>>
I have a USGI OD cord lanyard and a Blackhawk coiled rubber lanyard. I use them when I go 4x4ing for some extra retention. The cord lanyard can either go over the shoulder and under the epaulet or looped through a ring on the web gear. The Blackhawk lanyard goes on the belt immediately behind the holster.
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.