[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/k/'s opinion of victorinx

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

File: Victorinox_Logo.svg.png (80KB, 2000x861px) Image search: [Google]
Victorinox_Logo.svg.png
80KB, 2000x861px
i wanna hear your guy's opinion on swiss army knives. Never see /k/ talking about them.
>>
They are okay tier. Was good enough to go out into the woods as a kid but nothing really else.
>>
>>30026112
Good gift for 7th birthday.
>>
>>30026112
They're pretty meh as far as multitools go. Still have my super tinker my grandfather gave me when I was a kid
>>
>>30026112
I like em. I don't see a reason to have one over a leather man unless you're carrying one in your pocket around I guess
>>
>>30026112
Great for an elementary schooler's first sharp thing, but if you're an adult looking for a multipurpose tool to carry around with you, get a Leatherman Wave.
>>
>>30026112
They do nothing well but fit in your pocket as long as you don't go for something like the ultratinkerer.
>99% of the tools are pointless
>blade is of mediocre steel, of a bad shape, and non-locking
>the only ones worth having are the size of a multitool that has pliers while being half as useful and twice as expensive
>>
>>30026112
Not bad but I prefer proper multitools, I get a lot of use out of the pliers.
>>
>>30026112
Only thing in it that was practical was the bottle opener, corkscrew and knife. But if I wanted all that and a knife that tries taking my fingernail off I would carry a waiter's corkscrew. Nice to have all that shit in there and the design is useful, but fuck if any of it will be used more than twice.
>>
>>30026166
>great for an elementary schooler's first sharp thing
Except for the whole "non locking blade" thing.
>>
>>30026180
It sure taught me to respect blades when I was a kid
>>
It takes longer to find the right tool than it is to open it. I tried unscrewing something with it, not really good control. Multitool is better
>>
>>30026180
What are you some sort of British pussy?
>>
>>30026166

I have the rebar, is it any better or worse than the wave?
>>
File: 55287194.jpg (102KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
55287194.jpg
102KB, 400x400px
Loved em as a kid, 35 years ago they could make you the envy of the boyscout troop
>>
>>30026206
Same here, but I still have a nasty scar from it 30-some years later. Nearly took my left index finger off because the shitty spring rebounded after a draw cut and closed the knife on my hand.
>>
>>30026223
>brit
>locking blade
Brits aren't allowed to have lockback knives m8.

>>30026225
It's more durable and has more "outdoorsy" tools but it's bigger and a bit more expensive. Get the one that has tools you'll use, they're both pretty good.
>>
>>30026225
The Wave has the knife, serrated knife, saw, and wood/metal file on the outside so you don't have to open the tool to access them. It's really convenient.
>>
>>30026252
Whoops was thinking of the wrong multitool

The Wave comes with a weird belt sheath with a pull-out card containing extra bits for its bit driver. The one I was issued in the Army, the sheath DID NOT fit both the leatherman and the card, you could have one or the other. Either way, the bits quickly all fell out of the card and got lost because it's strictly friction fit and they're carried horizontally in an open-bottom pouch.

The Rebar has the replaceable wire cutter inserts, which is important if you're ever gonna cut anything other than fish hooks and aluminum wire. I quickly put a series of dents in the non-replaceable wire cutters of my Wave trying to cut mild steel fence wire, rendering them unusable. Though the addition of the scissors and the really really tiny flat head are nice.

If I ever actually had to pay for a multitool, I'd pick the Rebar over the Wave (at least in part because it's $30 cheaper). But unless I get a serious case of the dumbs, I'm set for life because the Army gave me 3 Leathermans, a SOG, and like 30 Gerber multitools.
>>
File: Image4.jpg (73KB, 891x588px) Image search: [Google]
Image4.jpg
73KB, 891x588px
>>30026340
>I quickly put a series of dents in the non-replaceable wire cutters of my Wave trying to cut mild steel fence wire
Were you using the wire cutter or the hard wire cutter?
>>
>>30026112
the original meme knife
>>
>>30026397
Both. I'd use the hard wire cutter on the thin stuff I could get back that far but a lot of the shit we had to cut was too thick to get all the way back there. I've taken divots out of both of them.
>>
>>30026340
>>30026397
>>30026499
MOTHERFUCKER.

I just dug it out of a drawer. I had a Charge, not a Wave. Very fucking similar. Like, so similar I don't know why there's 2 models of them.
>>
>>30026499
Honestly, I've never had any luck using the Wave's wire cutters for anything harder than copper. It's probably the tool's main weakness, but I can't imagine that the Rebar's are much better, even if they are replaceable; if I knew I would be cutting a bunch of wire on a given day I'd probably just stick a real wire cutter in my pocket and ignore the ones on the Leatherman.
>>
>>30026596
The Rebar's are pretty good. Not as good as a set of real, decent-sized side cutters, but they're carbide. Unfortunately, being carbide means they're also kinda brittle.

Mine was used as a GP multitool in military service, we generally had no fucking idea what we were gonna be doing day to day, nor did we have access to the "proper" tool for the job 99% of the time. I've pretty much given up carrying a multitool on my person any more, I've got one in the glove box of my car for light shit not worth digging out the small tool bag in the trunk, then I've got actual tools pretty much everywhere else.
>>
>>30026544
The Charge series are basically just fancy versions of the Wave; the Charge AL even has the exact same tool loadout. The main benefit is that the Charges have better blade steels (154CM for the AL and ALX, S30V for the TTi), but if you're doing enough knifing to justify the added expense, you're doing enough knifing to justify carrying a real knife.
>>
>>30026701
Not sure whether I have the AL or ALX, but I've got a 154CM.

I definitely would not have purchased this myself, it was issued through RFI prior to a deployment. I like Gerbers better, to be honest.

IMO, power rankings for multitools go:
1. SOG Tough Tool (discontinued
2. Gerber EOD Tool
3. Gerber MP-600 Needlenose
-
-
30ish. Leatherman Charge
31ish. Leatherman Wave
-
-
-
45ish. Gerber Dime
-
-
-
90001. Leatherman Skeletool
>>
>>30026112
Outstanding watches. Seriously, you pay 500 on average but they are great.
>>
File: 6-charge-alx.jpg (23KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
6-charge-alx.jpg
23KB, 600x600px
>>30026760
The ALX is readily distinguished by the crimper on the pliers, the cutting hook on the back of the serrated knife, and the second large bit driver inside the handles.
>>
>>30026773
What do they do that any quartz-action watch that costs a tenth as much (or less) doesn't?
>>
Victorinox makes proper multitools as well as swiss army knives. The swisstool, they call it.
>>
>>30026815
well, then I have an ALX.

Really should Ebay this thing, I never use it.
>>
Amazing, they made Upotte mini Swiss Army knives.
>>
>>30026760
>90001. Leatherman Skeletool
It's not that bad, considering that it's got pliers, a knife, and a bit driver while only being an ounce or so heavier than a regular knife. If you were a huge faggot about muh ounces bro it seems like it would be a decent option.
>>
>>30026969
>integrated carabiner
>ventilated handles to collect all the gunk and pocket lint
>420 stainless blade
Nah, it's shit.
>>
>>30026909
i have one that's 15 years old. it works really well. i had an engineer tell me back in the day that they were the best quality on the market. they are also quite expensive comparatively. and heavy. they are fucking heavy, more so than any other brand i've come across.
>>
>>30026991
yeah but muh ounces
>>
>>30026112
jack-knife of all trades, master of none
great for fixing the little things that pop up
before they become bigger problems
which require dedicated tools
>>
>>30027006
If you can find one, try a SOG Tough Tool. They make the Swisstool look like a featherweight.

But damn if they aren't durable.
>>
Shit quality steel.

No, seriously... Shit quality steel.
>>
>>30026849
Doesn't fuck up when you golf everyday. Hitting the ball sends a shock down your arm that has fucked all my watches with the exception of this brand. All my other ones last maybe a year and they start losing time.
>>
>>30027061
Interesting. Have you ever worried about what that's doing to your arm?
>>
>>30027095
Being organic I assume my arm can repair any damage a small shock sends to it. Mechanical components not so much.
>>
>>30027095
Different guy, but long-time golfer. Sounds like he needs to switch shafts. I started developing carpal tunnel about 7 years back and had to switch to midsize, soft grips (Winn Dry-tacs) and stiff-flex graphite shafts from my standard Golf Prides and steel shafts. Problem went away.

Also, I've had a Citizen Eco-Drive for like 25 years and it's never once fucked up.
>>
>>30026909
I loved my SwissTool Spirit as an EDC tool, aside from its shitty butter knife. It packed more shit into less space than anything I've ever seen, though, and it was all really high quality. Sadly I lost it recently and haven't decided on a replacement. (No idea how I lost it, it was in my pocket and then it wasn't, and I wear jeans with pretty deep pockets so I dunno how it could've fallen out.)

I'm carrying an SAK Explorer lately, and honestly it's all the knife I really need. I usually back it up with a Benchmade folder but that's more about me being a /k/ faggot than actual practicality. A basic blade, scissors, and a good Philips screwdriver are really all I need on a daily basis.
>>
>>30027184
>No idea how I lost it, it was in my pocket and then it wasn't
It came with a belt pouch for a reason, you mong.
>>
>>30028213
That implies that I want to go around looking like an autist with a belt pouch, though. The beauty of the Spirit was that it was so easy to pocket carry, anyway.

Plus the stock pouch sucked. When I was working at a fab shop and wanted quick access without putting dirty hands in my pockets I kept it in an HSGI Pistol Taco, but for regular EDC use pockets still win.

I'll probably just replace it with a Spirit X (since the X has an actual knife blade) and then immediately find my missing one behind my dresser or something.
>>
>>30026112
The Soldatenmesser 08 is great but the Bayonett sucks, the blade is dull as fuck and in some units you will get fined for pulling it out without order

also the bayonett is referred to as bludgeoning weapon instaed of a stabbing weapon
>>
>>30026112
I carry the manager model on my keychain. lately been using the retractable ink pen more than any other tool on it.
SAK for small carrry
Leatherman for packin' bigger more useful, potentially weapon-use tools
>>
>>30028290
>but for regular EDC use pockets still win.
t. a guy who lost his multitool beacuse it fell out of his pocket
>>
>>30026112
Shit. The blade broke when I was trying to open a tin of paint.
>>
My edc knife is a oho trekker that I ground part of the thumb loop off of so I can open it like an Emerson knife. The blade locks, one of the screw drivers lock, the blade is 4" and meaty, and the rest of the tools are real handy. Added a pocket clip. I honestly wouldn't go back to a non Swiss army knife for edc now, again I use the tools as much as the blade itself. The only draw back is it is thick. Taking out the saw would be a massive improvement.
>>
File: 2016-05-22 14.00.56.jpg (1MB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
2016-05-22 14.00.56.jpg
1MB, 1456x2592px
>>30026112
Have had this for 16 years. Its always been great. Other than it needs some sharpening after my father took a bench grinder to it...
>>
>>30026180
Shit its not like they just gives these pit to boy scouts or anything.
>>
File: 20160522_221324-1.jpg (2MB, 1011x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160522_221324-1.jpg
2MB, 1011x2988px
>>30026112
Got one for free when I became a shooting instructor. Shame I never use it though
>>
>>30030132
It's gonna blow your mind when you finally get a real multitool.
>>
File: IMG_20160523_010609.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160523_010609.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
Is nobody aware of the existence of the new actual swiss army knife? Its a pretty neat edc knife in my opinion
>>
>>30026150
they are kicking leatherman's butt in qulity (plier based multitools)
>>
>>30035006
the pioneer x alox is new from this (i think) year
>>
>>30026154
>leather man
>>
>>30026112
Never cared for Swiss Army knives, but their meat processing knives are top notch. Out of all the brands of knives out there they hold their edge the best for the price
>>
>>30035096
As i understand it, these alox knifes are the kind of knife witch was issued the swiss army before these new green came around. There are some cool videos starting army trucks with the bottle opener of thos knife
>>
>>30035006
The Soldier 2008 isn't a meme knife the way the little red ones are.
>>
>>30026112
Almost all of these replies are one unspecified model against a Leatherman, also unspecified.
As a brand it is quality if it is the tool you need.
I have several Victorinox, some Wegner, some Leathermans (leathermen?), Gerbers, SOG...
Carry the tool for the job you're doing.
At most of the offices I've worked in, one of the Swiss Army Knives was much more useful than a Gerber or Leatherman, at the range I take at least one of each; camping usually the Leatherman.
Take the right tool, and don't trust the answers you get from the tools on /k.
>>
>>30037167
>one of the Swiss Army Knives was much more useful than a Gerber or Leatherman
Elaborate?
>>
>>30035006
Personally I think they're too big. I have a similar one (Parachutist or something, same general shape but no thumbhole and different tools) and it's a great tool, but too big for EDC. It has an awesome seatbelt cutter blade so I keep it in my glovebox.
>>
>>30026112
They're tools, not weapons. At best they're multi-tools. At worst, they're shitty, dangerous toys.
>>
>>30026112
I use a manager for work (I work at a furniture store warehouse), it's not a 10/10 shave the hair off your arm laser beam sharp but it's a really nice little knife you can just stick in your watch pocket and forget about until you need it, and it cuts packaging and cardboard boxes well enough.
>>
File: 1563237580fab2.jpg (54KB, 540x360px) Image search: [Google]
1563237580fab2.jpg
54KB, 540x360px
>>30026112
In my opinion either get a locking knife, or equivalent pliers-type multitool. Pliers multitools have blades anyway and are otherwise more useful. I've been through various iterations and stuck on second from left in pic. Pocket knives now outdated technology.
>>
>>30035006
>new
>>
>>30026112
Swiss one handed trekker is the greatest.
Fugg the leathermans.
>>
>>30037837
pliers multitools are also way heavier. the point of a swiss knife is that it's a pocket knife with some added functionality, not a multitool. victorinox also makes high-quality multitools. I keep one in my car, but I'd never carry it in my pocket like I would a swiss knife.
>>
File: IMG_20160523_194849.jpg (1000KB, 2273x3526px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160523_194849.jpg
1000KB, 2273x3526px
>>30035006

Mah nigga
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.