[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What happens to surplus military equipment?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: MoD1FORSALE_3179548k.jpg (163KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
MoD1FORSALE_3179548k.jpg
163KB, 858x536px
Like, what are some of the paths it takes. I know for the U.S. a lot of it gets sent to our allies or sold to civilians or given to the police.
>south america after WW2
but what about other nations? What did the Soviets do with all their t-34s and stuff.

Apparently the Jews got a whole bunch of German equipment to arm their self defense force after the British left.
>kek
>>
>>29826584
>but what about other nations? What did the Soviets do with all their t-34s and stuff.
Sold them in most cases.

Not that many african nations or tribes have firepower to take out a T-34 in the cold war.
>>
>>29826648
In Red Storm Rising it references these massive vehicle and weapon caches the soviets had. From what I've seen with the Ukraine conflict and all this old shit being pulled out of storage clancy probably wasn't far off.
>>
Afaik most of it gets cannibalized for parts and scrapped or just scrapped. Equipment just has a maximum life span before it starts falling apart so much you're better off not bothering.

Good example of this is the LMGs used by US army.
>>
>>29826689
Reading about US equipment post WW2 it seemed like the cost of storing it was greater than recycling it so bombers got bulldozed and rifle and tanks got dumped in the ocean.
>>
>>29826677
>Red Storm Rising
Im talking about what actually happend in the cold war.

T-34's have fought in the middle east (egypt and several arab nations operated them), asia (korea, vietnam) and africa (Angola, ethiopia and so on)
>>
>>29826834
T-34/85 was probably the second most popular tank in Bosnia after T-55, used by all sides.
>>
>>29826834
With how many mosins are still kicking around in caches over there it is just hard to believe that all the slav surplus was jettisoned.
>>
>>29827527
Well rifles and tanks are different things.

You can still kill people and penetrate body armor with 7.62x54R even today but you cant kill or engage targets at long range with a T-34/85 obr 1969 and walk away alive.
>>
that picture of the mounted maxims with a red dot is a prefect example of that
>>
>>29826584
Wasn't there something like 200,000+ SMGs given to the Norks after Stalingrad cooled down?
>>
>>29827953
Korea would have still been under Japanese control at that point in the war.
>>
File: lelkek.jpg (94KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
lelkek.jpg
94KB, 1000x1000px
Things get made, then passed down to progressively poorer nations eternally till a poor poor nation has it in its inventory, then decides to chop it up. The Philippines still has some WWII ships in active service.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.