[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is artillery still the king of battle? Do we even use artillery

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

File: 1-9FieldArtillery-4.jpg (489KB, 864x554px) Image search: [Google]
1-9FieldArtillery-4.jpg
489KB, 864x554px
Is artillery still the king of battle?

Do we even use artillery anymore?
>>
>>29789184
Artillery is good for area denial since you can just sit on it with minimal costs, doesn't need fuel and what not. Good for cheap effective base defense.

Mobile artillery is good for areas where strong anti air capabilities are present.
>>
>>29789184
YOU WANT TO USE DREW BARRYMORE?
>>
>>29789282

YEAH, I KNEW A SHERRY ONCE
>>
>>29789311

FUCK YOU I'M NOT A DUNCE
>>
>>29789367

DUCK TRUE, THERE'S NO TRUCE?

WHAT TRUCE?
>>
>>29789184
>Is artillery still the king of battle?
Still fucks infantry, so yes.
>>
>>29789382
YOUR NAME IS BRUCE?
>>
>>29789367
WHY DO YOU WANT TO DANCE A DUCK?
>>
File: F15 Airstrike.jpg (2MB, 2850x1896px) Image search: [Google]
F15 Airstrike.jpg
2MB, 2850x1896px
Artillery is fantastic if you don't have air supremacy, or if the enemy has a large amount of anti-air countermeasures. It's also good for deployment in particularly active enemy areas, such as FOBs in eastern Afghanistan, as it's an instantaneous support method and relatively cheap.

Outside of those two scenarios, Air rules supreme.
>>
>>29789392
WHO HAS JUICE?
>>
>>29789606
WHAT? NO I DIDN'T DROP A DEUCE
>>
File: DSC_0025.jpg (15KB, 316x210px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0025.jpg
15KB, 316x210px
>>29789630
WHAT!?! YEAH! OK!!!
>>
Are there any videos of artillery hitting stuff?
I can't find any online
>>
>>29789425
>What is playtime?
>>
>>29789282
YOU DONT NEED A TWO BARREL FOUR BORE!

ONE WORKS JUST FINE
>>
File: images (49).jpg (18KB, 384x384px) Image search: [Google]
images (49).jpg
18KB, 384x384px
Mfw there are more meme replies to this thread than actual discussion.

But now: Mortars, aka best artillery.

Lets have some discussion around tactics and operational usage
>>
>>29789425
Bullshit, air has massive costs and 10 times less efficient in terms of lbs of HE on target

The US has been losing recent wars because they occupy a majority of their manpower & logistics doing helicopters/aircraft.
>>
>>29790549
WHAT DO WANT TO KNOW ABOUT FORKS?
>>
File: Gunners_01_1397871a.jpg (58KB, 682x450px) Image search: [Google]
Gunners_01_1397871a.jpg
58KB, 682x450px
>>29789184
everyone uses it
>>
>>29790847
Please deactivate.
>>
>>29789184

Yes, explosives and shrapnel kill far more people than direct fire could ever hope to accomplish.

Artillery cannonry is dirt cheap compared to things like guided missiles or air dropped munitions. Artillery can put thousands of pounds of explosives downrange without missing a beat. Plus artillery can stick around for days and days supporting infantry. An artillery piece can drop munitions for as long as it has ammo, it never needs to land.

Artillery needs a truck to pull it and a few guys to load it, logistically it is incredibly simple. It can operate in almost any environment and can operate in contested environments where an aircraft would be shot down.

In terms of total war, you lose an aircraft you lose millions of dollars and possibly an incredibly expensive to train and highly skilled pilot. You lose an artillery piece and the economic cost of replacement to a war economy is a tiny fraction of what a plane would cost.

Artillery is far and away the most efficient way to put munitions onto the enemy.
>>
>>29790910
Is SMART artillery still a thing? I remember hearing about guided munitions and automatic counter artillery being developed back in like 2010
>>
Would it be possible to drop supplies via artillery? Have it parachute to the ground like how flares parachute?
>>
>>29790970
It's mostly just a meme
A guided missile would be cheaper/easier
>>
>>29789630
JEWS? WHERE?
>>
>>29790970
Yeah, but developing a guidance system that can survive being shot out of a gun is more complicated than something that just gets dropped from the air.

So Excalibur rounds are more expensive than JDAMs.
>>
>>29790910

This!

MUCH cheaper than air while having similar effects.

Much easier to utilize in a real war when you are not fighting insurgents (because superpowers have all kinds of anti-something-or-other weapons that kill expensive vehicles).

Much better availability for lower levels of command chain if mortars count as artillery.
>>
>>29791178
It must be said JDAMs are far from the most advanced things ever, and are really just kits attached to existing bombs.
>>
>>29791330
Well, you get a 7m CEP with 2,000 pounds of explosive, and you drop it from 40,000 feet, well away from anything that can shoot back and isn't raped by HARMs.

If it's stupid and it works, it's not stupid
>>
>>29789184
Though the numbers can differ hugely from conflict to conflict: in general yes.
>>
>>29791630
I never said they were bad, just that they were farm from particularly advanced.
>>
>>29789184
Is it the king? No

Do we have it? Durr
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.