[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lone Survivor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 6

File: image.jpg (46KB, 313x470px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46KB, 313x470px
So the moral of the story is always kill the witnesses?
>>
>>29775301
Yup.
>>
>>29775301
The real moral is to plan better and use appropriate numbers and equipment.

If that fails, then yeah, they should have killed the people who found them and bugged out ASAP. That could have failed though, because they were out of radio contact due to bringing too weak of a radio to save weight and might not have been able to bring in an exfil in time with people looking for them.

Basically, never be out of comms with your backup.
>>
>>29775301
Finish the mission with no survivors.
>>
Moral of the story is, learning how to drown proof yourself and plant bombs underwater, doesn't make you an expert at land based recon. Should have left it to the Marine Scouts that the mission was originally designed for as it was their AO, not JSOCs.
>>
>>29775301
Or they could have planned better, restrained the witnesses when they were found, and then GTFO
>>
>>29775301
could have taken the guys with them and let them go when they left with a helicopter.
>>
>>29775301
Marcus should have gave them morphine and got the fuck out. If I recall, Marcus barely had any medical equipment on him. But hindsight is always 20/20 especially when you weren't ever there.
>>
>>29775441
But they would wonder why you would shoot a man before throwing him out of the chopper
>>
>>29775447
>And was getting caught part of your plan?
>of course
>what's the next step in your master plan?
>crashing this chopper-for lone survivor!
>>
>>29775301
>newfag wasn't here for all the threads about it before it came out.
go away.
>>
>>29775442
Marcus described the whole thing in great detail in his book, and given that he was trying to paint them in a positive light I doubt he would invent a detail like, "we were totally underprepared."
>>
>>29775301
There were no "goat farmers".
The OP was supposed to go to MUH-REEN scout snipers, who would be dropped off 20k away, and infiltrate by foot.
Then an Admiral, literally decided to use the SEALs because "they were from texas", they looked at the scout snipers plan, said it was too far of a walk, and too much medical and radio equipment, then decided to take Chinooks (the loudest helicopters we have) and fly them within 7k of the final Observation position (were up to 300 terrorists are wandering around the hills) and do "dummy drops" a chinook would fly, stop for a minite, fly a bit a way, stop for a minute, then on one of those the team actually dropped.
so just about any haji motherfucker in the area knew americans were on the ground somewhere. And set and ambish for them (theres hadji vido of it on liveleak somewhere) and 12-15 mudslimes whiped out the SEALs within 15 minutes, with no confirmed hadji dead (the ambushers had mortars, RPGs LMGs, and AKs), then waited around with RPGs for the QRF.
and the entire last act of the movie didnt happen either.
>>
>>29775532
Basically this. Hell, he was even in the film and had a degree of creative control to give the film some legitimacy. I doubt he would have given the thumbs up to an end product that shouted "we got BTFO by our own hubris" unless that's what really happened, since Luttrell never struck me as the kind of guy that would make himself look bad unnecessarily.
>>
>>29775584
I take it the Admiral got a promotion to Mega Admiral.
>>
>>29775301

the moral of the story is don't be a seal
>>
>>29775301
The moral is, don't let your air support that is being reserved specifically to reinforce one mission, get used for another mission. The Seals had Apaches on call ready to back them up when needed. However, those helicopters were re-approriated to assist another unit and weren't available when shit hit the fan for the Seals.
>>
>>29775616
He is now the Cheeki Breeki Admiral.
>>
>>29775584
Funny part they dont tell you is they used a leftover Stinger from the Russo-Afgan conflict to down that chinook full of 47 SEALs.

yea, one of those that were supposedly "ALL" bought back for ~$1mil a piece, equivilant to roughly $2mil money today.
>>
>>29775631
>another person thinking the movie had facts in it
the only things in the movie that are real is 3 guys died in afghanistan, then the QRF was shot down afterwards, oh and whats his name had a satelite phone. Everything else is false.
>>
>>29775662
I didnt know that, the Hadjis have a video of them shooting it down, you see a bunch of RPGs being fired, i assumed one got a lucky hit, but a stinger makes more sense.
>>
Tell me how in the fuck an NCO in one of the most "highly trained" units in the world, who is your commo SME, could not get positive fucking comms?
>>
Weren't they using satcom? Wtf was the problem with the radios?
>>
>>29775684
He left the High Output batteries back at base, because "Muh In-n-Out, HSLD mission"
>>
>>29775713
But isn't satcom already over LOS?
>>
>>29775713
Like how the rangers in Somalia left there plates and nvds?
>>
>>29775710

Radios channel hop frequencies so they are unreadable by anyone attempting to listen in. Sat phones are based on commercial tech and not secure.
>>
>>29775738
I just rewatched Blackhawk Down last night and thought this exact thing.
>>
>>29775678
Don't believe everything you read on the internet. It's known there were manpads being shot at our chinooks in Iraq and Stan, but it's rare. Pretty sure the wikileak files on that incident said it was an RPG and not a guided missile.
>>
>>29775738
To be fair to the Rangers, they really weren't supposed to be there any time close to dark.

Leaving plates is full retard though.
>>
>>29775738
No, they just forgot to pack copier toner makeshift-camo and pirate eyepatches for when shit went sour.
>>
>>29775767
Back then, light infantry had a doctrinally different mindset than what infantry is now (over encumbered and only good to take hits)
>>
>>29775745
Satcom radio is not a sat phone
>>
>>29775767
Wouldn't there be a packing list for junior soldiers? Why were they allowed to determine what they needed or didn't need for a mission?
>>
>>29775767
Qlso to be fair, those were just level III steel plates.
>>
>>29775844
Isn't steel better than ceramic? And what does level iii stop?
>>
>>29775821
Though the film didn't really convey it that well, the raid they do in BHD was one they had done 20-30 times in the 2 months prior with minimal shots fired. They (the raids) started to become played out and standards slipped. Why bring nvgs when we are only going out for an hour and we didn't need them the last 10 times we did this?
>>
>>29775866
Most rifles with normal ammo
>>
>>29775908
Then what did you mean they were "just" level iii plates?
>>
>>29775866
Rated for .308 AP.
but the faster 5.56 rounds can get through them.
>>
They could've taken the kid hostage, told the old fucks to shut their mouths and they'll let the kid go. If they see Taliban, they snuff the kid.
>>
>>29775664
I wasn't quoting the movie.
>>
>>29775942
No terp, and those fucks ain't going to give a fuck about a kid hostage...
>>
>>29775662
Stingers from the 80s would have run out of batteries by then and there's no way they would be able to figure out how to replace them
>>
>>29775662
>>29775678
>>29775764
The real problem was that the QRF chose the same fucking LZ that Marcus' team did, so the Taliban waited to ambush them from there
>>
>>29775301
Dont be a fucking idiot
Take them with you to the extractionpoint and let them go there. When they take their backup you ar already away and can bomb the shit out of them
>>
>>29775362
Bane?
>>
What was Axe's role on the team and why was he the most based in the movie
>>
>>29776158
A Chinook's max capacity is 36 counting the crew. The anon you're replying to is a fucking moron.
>>
>>29775301
Morality is good and it what makes you human. But should you over-do it, the result will be the same as immorality.
Shooting those people was the bad thing to do, but also the only right course of action. The life of many good people could've been saved if they didn't try being holier than the pope himself.
>>
i bet it was more like a couple scouts in the mountains saw them coming and took off running and the whole dilemma about them deciding what to do lasted all of 5 seconds while murphy said dont shoot while they were already hauling ass away. then they failed at getting comms and got fucked up by taliban in their own backyard.
>>
>>29775662
Stinger batteries don't last that long numbnuts. Also
>47 SEALS
Where the fuck did this number come from?
>>
>>29775519
Underrated post
>>
File: marky mark damn gooks.png (381KB, 800x569px) Image search: [Google]
marky mark damn gooks.png
381KB, 800x569px
>>29775301
this is now a fucking vietnam shits thread
>>
File: markwahlburg1459434820842.png (652KB, 858x661px) Image search: [Google]
markwahlburg1459434820842.png
652KB, 858x661px
>>29778349
>>
File: mark hates gooks.jpg (85KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
mark hates gooks.jpg
85KB, 1280x720px
>>29778358
>>
>>29775301
Why was aborting the mission never an option again? lol

tie that goat herding fucker up and take him with you, have him get the family out of that area too so they don't rat, then go back and do the mission, once its over release em or throw em in gitmo.
>>
>>29778203
A bane post is not an underrated post. Get off my /k/
>>
>>29775301
The moral of the story is , if you are walking on goat trails, don't be baffled by goat farmers.

>Seals heard that these hill had the GOAT trails, and signed up.
>>
>>29775738
>>29775767
To be even more fair, they left plates and NVGs to carry more water and ammo, which they also ended up needing
>>
>>29775301
Those dudes got fucking wrekt hard in that movie.
>>
Imagine being this guy
>entire squad is rekt
>all your friends you got to know while being stationed in Afghanistan is dead
>you will live on your life in guilt that you didn't die wit them, or feel like you could have saved some but didn't do it

Them feels
>>
>>29778884
>Entire SEAL platoon got wiped out trying to save your dumb asses
>>
>>29775866
No, ceramic is better, by far. That's why we use it today fuck nut.
>>29775936
You mean ball. AP sails through steel.
>>
>>29775301
it showed the world that the Nanawatai principle of Pashtunwali actually worked to save an infidel.
>>
>>29775370
This is the only correct answer
>>
>>29778884
yeah, but imagine the bookdeal $$$ though. It's everything the recruiter promised and more.
>>
>>29775662
20 marines not 47 seals
>>
>>29775738
Wait I know they really did leave nvgs behind but is there actually any documentation of people leaving plates except the scene in the film?
>>
>>29775301
just started watching it. not bad so far
>>
>>29775301
They should have learned the exact same lesson from Bravo Two Zero.
>>
File: Barsad.jpg (58KB, 525x600px) Image search: [Google]
Barsad.jpg
58KB, 525x600px
>>29776223
Aye
>>
>>29778449
>Hotheads telling others to get out
>>
I like how a AC-130 can blow away a hospital and it's a accident yet these guys couldn't come up with a cover story as to why they had to kill these goat herders in the middle of enemy territory with no backup.
>>
>>29778940
Seals operate in teams, not squads.
>>
>>29775866
>>29775908
>>29775936
Yes, faster 5.56 goes through level III steel.
At 10 yards.
>>
>>29782770
The goat herders are irrelevant, even if they actually existed. The "boo hoo our ROEs are too tight why can't SEALS just kill him" narrative is a pile of bullshit that was probably invented by a neverserved softcunt.

They weren't compromised by goat herders, they were compromised by inserting less than a mile from the target location in a loudass helo.

>>29782698
>Bravo Two Zero.
I'm not sure how many levels of bait and meta-bait are in this one
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.