[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Corporations field armies? Can they declare war?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 15

Can Corporations field armies?
Can they declare war?
>>
>>29774810
Not in the traditional sense.
>>
Kevin Spacey and Atlas were the good guys in that game.

Prove me wrong.
>>
>>29775673
>good guys
no
>the side you wanted to be on
yes
>>
>>29774810
No and no according to basic western philosophy and law.

But they still do because fuck that shit lets make money.
>>
File: BetgBck.png (312KB, 499x499px) Image search: [Google]
BetgBck.png
312KB, 499x499px
>>29775691
>blowing up California
>not good guys
>>
>>29774810
Can a person declare war?
A corperation has all the rights of a person.
although IIRC, in the game they still just contract themselves out.
>>
Corporations are people, my friend.
>>
>>29775701
Oh ita been a while, they blew up commifornia? I knew they blew up seattle, which is a +1.
I though Ghosts is where Commifornia was taken out.
>>
>>29775673
Then you get to the part were the writers realized that they made them look too good at what they did and their attempt to recover was to make them into Nazi by gassing people and burning bodies in ovens.
>>
In short, no. Corporations are profit based and wars are massively expensive with no inherent income. Countries have taxes to fund their war efforts but corporations have no such luxury.
>>
>>29775701
fair, but the golden gate was a cool fucking bridge.
overall, advanced warfare should have never been made.
it led to this, fucking unacceptable.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=223NTiwdIkA
>>
>>29775722
Basically without that element, AW was pretty much Starship Troopers (the book) in most ways, and if you do that, then you get called fascist, and blah blah blah.
>>
>>29775716
Golden Gate Bridge, eh. Ghosts blew up the whole Southwest.

>even Vegas, where I live
>>
File: 1455161530094.jpg (87KB, 700x565px) Image search: [Google]
1455161530094.jpg
87KB, 700x565px
>>29775734
>you will NEVER be a thirteen year old kid getting CoD 4 for Christmas again
>you will NEVER be a fifteen year old texting girls in-between MW2 matches again
>>
>>29775740
>blew up vegas
this is a good thing /k/omerade
>>
>>29774810
>Can Corporations field armies?
Only for short periods of time.
>Can they declare war?
Yes, but war is unprofitable, so they would have no reason to do so.
>>
>>29775761
Laws are based here but the Strip really is degenerate. Honestly it should work on more buildings like these:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CityCenter
>>
>>29774810
I WANNA KNOW WHY THERE ARE SO MANY MODDERS IN AW!
AND WHY THE FUCK ARE ONLY 40 TOTAL PEOPLE PLAYING AW AT A GGIVEN TIME BUT MW3 HAS 60 GAMES OF JUST TDM GOING AT A GIVIN TIME!!!!
>>
>>29775757
Well i was probably 15 when COD 4 came out.
fuck COD big red one had better multiplayer.
>>
>>29775799
Big Red One was breddy gud, but CoD 4 has a place in my heart.
>>
File: eastindia.jpg (69KB, 504x352px) Image search: [Google]
eastindia.jpg
69KB, 504x352px
>>29774810

Yes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Anglo-Mysore_War

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banana_republic

Although generally they just lobby governments to do the dirty work for them.
>>
>>29775810
I liked MW2&3 more, especially multiplayer.
come on, when Brooklyn died in the dragons teeth, there were no feel?
Shit i would bust out the PS2 and play Big Red One multiplayer untill ~2010 when the servers finally went down.
>>
>>29775814

Also....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Overthrow_of_the_Kingdom_of_Hawaii
>>
>>29775833
what company do you think overthrew Kingdom of Hawaii?
>>
>>29775828
oh man, I remember MW3
that ending was so fucking satisfying
playing through the beginning reminded me of the first MW3 mission, running through the streets and letting loose a heavy dose of POONK
god I miss taking that rhib between destroyers and into the chinook.
good times.
>>
>>29775843
The Heartless
>>
File: Dole.jpg (138KB, 560x330px) Image search: [Google]
Dole.jpg
138KB, 560x330px
>>29775843

>Sanford Dole who appointed himself President of the forcibly instated Republic on July 4, 1894.

It was a group of plantation owners with tentative support from the US government. But the idea was put into action by the plantation owners not the US government.
>>
>>29775867
Sanford Dole isn't the Dole of the Dole fruit company, fám. that was founded a decade later anyways
>>
>>29774810
Basically the biggest obstacle for a Private Army engaging in a war without working with a government is asset freezing and seizure

You'd basically need to have your money in a country that wouldn't fuck you over and have a bunch of shell corporations to do business for you.

Plus you wouldn't have the large amount of credit that a full fledged nation has nor any of the safe ground. You could be attacked in some way at any moment

that oil refinery you're leasing out in Texas?
>seized by the US Goverment
that fleet of RO-ROs you bought from Korea?
>barred from accessing the Suez
Those guns you bought from FN?
>EU embargo on all future weapons sales to your company
Lost that battle?
>Company stock plummets
>>
>>29775896

>Sanford Dole was the cousin once removed of James Dole who came to Hawaii in 1899 and founded the Hawaiian Pineapple Company on Oahu, which later became the Dole Food Company

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sanford_B._Dole

I mean, if you want to be picky I suppose it was the families and plantations that later became the Dole company.

Same people though.
>>
File: Iron-Fist-Outline-p22-normal.gif (103KB, 700x906px) Image search: [Google]
Iron-Fist-Outline-p22-normal.gif
103KB, 700x906px
>>29774810
According to Erik Prince, this is how much it costs to operate a force of ~1500 guys for ONE YEAR
I don't think a private company would be able to operate on the scale of an army with combined arms assets for very long.
>>
>>29775734
Not to mention that if you follow MW,MW2,MW3,Ghosts,BO2, and AW there is no fucking way anything after ghosts should have been possible economically. Hell things would have been a mess for a long fucking time after MW3

>>29775757
Fuck you man.I remember eventually holding out as long as possible even though mw2 was hacked to shit because the bf2 servers were empty.
>>
File: jpg.jpg (47KB, 300x533px) Image search: [Google]
jpg.jpg
47KB, 300x533px
>>29775846
>>29775828
>>29775810
>>29775799
>>29775757
>>29775734
You fuckers do realize that they are remastering modern warfare
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-04-28-09-07-15.png (292KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-04-28-09-07-15.png
292KB, 1080x1920px
>>29775979
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (82KB, 1366x1156px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
82KB, 1366x1156px
>>29775986
Yeah I read about it.

>mfw
>>
>>29775986
>>29775979
ALL OF MY NEED
my body is fucking ready holy shit
>>
>>29775943

Walmart's annual revenue for last year was $482 BILLION.

Granted that's before expenses; but for a company of that size $300 million dollars isn't a major expense.

PS: Stupid 4chin, spambots don't link fucking wikipedia.
>>
>>29776016

FUCK YOU 4CHIN.

I had to reformat that thing twenty fucking times to convince them it wasn't spam.

Here's what I was trying to link.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_largest_companies_by_revenue
>>
>>29775979
Mite b cuhl. Depends on how they remaster it. If its just a graphical update, sure, but if they redux it with a bunch of heartbeat sensors and famas and minidrones from the more recent stuff, not interested. The appeal of COD4 (relative to it the ones that came after) was its simplicity and that it was more grounded in realism. Only 3 killstreaks, only a few attachments, quick ttk, it was nice.
>>
>>29775730
You can't be serious... wars are immensely profitable, how do you think the military industrial complex works?
>>
>>29776040
If the only thing they change is grenades that'll be fine. The dive/slide would be acceptable but goddamnit I just want my G3 and those sweet sweet classic maps back.
>>
>>29775757
>13 in 2007
kill yourself
>>
>>29775979
we cant make better games, lets just remake the old ones after we finished firing the team that worked on it
>>
>>29774810
NGO and NSA violent military superpowers are my fetish.

I sometimes wish the hundreds of millions of companies and NGOs including the shell and pacifist NGOs were all transformed into scifi East India Company/Megacorp/Ace Combat military superpowers that would fight over the planets and stars with all sorts of crazy innovative and borderline insane war machines and tactics.
>>
>>29776068
Why do you think classic, bare bones and hardcore existed. Also shout out to 3p team tactical for that socom feel
>>
>>29776052
>Wars are immensely profitable
Profitable for third parties, like military contractors, not for countries. The nation that pays for the military intervention hemorrhages money with no meaningful return. If a corporation had to self fund a military action, it would bankrupt unless it had an alternate means of income, like mineral rights. Countries don't have this issue because they can tax their population to cover losses, a corporation cant.
>>
>>29776016
$300 million gets you a battalion sized fighting force with a couple Hinds, a few cropdusters rigged with autocannons and bullets, and a bunch of trucks. It might work against an African army, but if you want something that can challenge a modern army with tanks and jets, you'll need trillions
>>
File: Burns Laughing.gif (2MB, 176x144px) Image search: [Google]
Burns Laughing.gif
2MB, 176x144px
>>29776119

Right, I'm not saying that Walmart is going to overthrow the Chinese government and cut out the middle man.

But overthrowing some shitty little government with a small private army and replacing it with a puppet that's loyal to your corporation has been done in the past and could be done again in the future if it proved profitable to a large company.

Most likely they'd do it under the table and pretend it was an internal coup. Hell it may have happened more recently than we know.
>>
>>29774810
In the traditional sense armies are the product of governments of some kind. Even the terrorist groups have a loose form of government so to say.

War is incredibly expensive, but also incredibly profitable. Especially if you can procure resource or favorable trade as a result.

There's plenty of oil companies that profit from wars that increase oil costs, as well companies that profit from selling arms, vehicles, etc.

>>29776027

Wal-mart could afford an army, but if it's like anything else they do, it'd be the shittiest army on the planet.
>>
>>29774810
Why would they? Corporations can always call upon the national military to protect their interests.
>>
>>29776142
For that size, sure. Seychelles would likely have been seized by less than 50 guys if one of them hadn't had his bags searched at customs.
>>
>>29776142
True

I'm just sick of the mass media like CODAW never getting PMC stories right. They could never operate on a scale that would challenge a major national army
>>
>>29775914
I see what you're saying, but if you're company('s AI) is doin it right you would have many countries under control through economic dependence. They seize that oil rig you cut off goods/funds. Or just rig their next election. Many ways to skin that cat

Youre thinkin Diamond Dogs, I'm thinkin Robocop
>>
>>29774810
Probably not nowadays, but the Dutch East Indies Company (VOC) didn't just have an army, which amounted to half its operating costs, but was legally the representative of the Dutch state east of the Cape of Good Hope.
As such, not only could and did it declare, fight and win wars, it did so in the name of a sovereign state against other states. All for the glorious cause of profit and greater dividends for the shareholders.
>>
>>29774810
>MUH SUPERPOWER FOR HIRE.
Technically this is fucking impossible.

Private Security Corporations are reliant on profit.

Countries have taxation. The ability to take your money based on a promise that they'll do something with it.

You can only run some small outfit with one system, while the other system allows you an entire military infrastructure.
>>
File: 1461356313534.jpg (19KB, 552x552px) Image search: [Google]
1461356313534.jpg
19KB, 552x552px
>>29775736
I'll never under why Starship Troopers is labeled as fascist literature.
It is quite frankly the most perfect society you can imagine.

>not allowed to vote until you actually do something useful for your country
Bliss
>>
>>29776984
>In order to have rights, you have to sign your life away to the state and potentially die for a war you have no stake in
Sounds like the most unamerican thing ever. Part of the reason Vietnam was such a shitshow was because half the people involved didn't want to be there.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1458779035095.jpg (38KB, 618x635px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1458779035095.jpg
38KB, 618x635px
>>29777008
It wasn't necessarily just military service.

I think things like Medicine, Engineering and Teaching were included in that too.

Basically I'm saying that a body of voters made up of people who have put societies needs ahead of their own and actually contributed to making the country a better place is ideal.

It's not exactly a water tight ideology but fuck it i d rather a country ruled by veterans than by pic related
>>
File: plisken.jpg (10KB, 500x213px) Image search: [Google]
plisken.jpg
10KB, 500x213px
>>29776984
>perfect society
>government existing
>>
>>29774810
>Can Corporations field armies?
In the past colinizing companies had the right to field armies.

Today they do the same thing but fo rlegal reasons this is called "security". Rio Tinto is known to have used some seriously heavy going "security" in Asia and not too many years ago either.
>>
>>29777142
>Involuntary servitude for rights is great, guys!
Even Rousseau would call you a moron.
>>
>>29776984
I remember being 15, but that was decades ago.
>>
File: Armacham.png (29KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Armacham.png
29KB, 256x256px
>>29774810
Pic related was a better evil corporation. Messes with the supernatural and doesn't afraid of anything.
>>
>>29775673
>>29775722
A good villain thinks he's right, a great villain IS right. that's what makes him a great villain. even though he was doing the right thing for the greater good. That amount of power in the hands of one man and the methods he used to achieve is not good, and such methods afterwards to KEEP power are inevitable. its like saying 'Mao Zedhong was a great guy, except for all the Democide.' sure he united china and ended a corrupt system, but the even shittier system of communism, and all the mass murder and slavery was an inherent part of that vision becuase of how much power he had, no matter how you cut it
>>
>>29779640
>Today they do the same thing but fo rlegal reasons this is called "security". Rio Tinto is known to have used some seriously heavy going "security" in Asia and not too many years ago either.
>Buying into the media hype.

But it is true security. Contractors don't do offensive ops. Its literally being a heavily armed mall cop.
>>
>>29775734
fuck off BO3 is so much fun. kinda stupid, but extremely fun
>>
>>29779838
Where did you get involuntary?
>>
>>29775979
Tell me when they include World at War and you'll have me sold.

>We could be burning Germans right now!
>>
I recently started playing WaW and the first Black Ops again, and forgot how much fun they were, especially WaW. Series went downhill from there.
>>
>>29783388
This, it's time for ww2 with current gen graphics. None of that weird cybershit, especially on zombies maps.
>>
>>29775781
I've been to Vegas twice, and hated the whole time. There's an opressive aura around it, coupled with very high altitude (less air per breath) and alcohol it's perfect for seperating beta types from their money. But their strip clubs were nice.. Great talent there.
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 460x545px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 460x545px
>>29783388
>Our grip tightens around the black heart of Berlin. The Führer demands all to shed their last drop of blood in it's defense. The old, the young, the weak. If they stand for Germany, they die for Germany. Building by building. Room by room. One rat at a time.
G O A T
>>29783578
I actually like the "cybershit" a lot, but it does sacrifice a lot of atmosphere and feeling that the world war 2 games and mw1 + 2 had
>>
>>29774810
>Can they declare war
In the sense they can realistically start shooting anyone they want if they get to the point of ATLAS in the games, yeah sure
>>
>>29776142
>Walmart World Empire.
>The Walton Confederacy.
Dear god I can imagine it.
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.