[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Son's 15th B-Day

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

File: unrel.jpg (4KB, 130x90px) Image search: [Google]
unrel.jpg
4KB, 130x90px
I don't own guns myself, nor do I plan on owning any, but my son's pretty into it.
What MA-friendly, reasonably-priced guns would /k/ recommend? Also, what are the trials and tribulations of acquiring a gun license so I can go to the range with him and so he can get one too?
>>
File: glock.22.jpg (5KB, 265x190px) Image search: [Google]
glock.22.jpg
5KB, 265x190px
pic related, the gun he wants, a glock .22 caliber
>>
MA bro here, getting the pistol license is the first trial. Oh and believe me, it ain't easy. May Issue faggotry and such. Then, you need a high capacity permit because "Muh AWB". And there is a really nice range out in Sharon, down on Belcher street. Also Braintree and Wrentham if you can't handle the Jews. The one in braintree has a Pistol and Rifle club too. What part of Mass?
>>
Arlington.
>>
Oh and I recommend a revolver of some sort. Bass Pro has an alright selection, LGS around here are trash. Get something from Ruger in .22.
>>
>>29770869
Lever action .22's are pretty fun, but a little boring since most are one shot, if you're willing to spend more on ammo a nice Rossi in .357 plinks both .357 and .38spl so ammo variety and more bang.
>>
would it be a good idea to buy him a Bandit bolt action .22? I remember having a pretty good time with those at scout camp.
>>
Any price range? Specific budget? You should get a Glock in 9mm. That way he can take it with him through life.
>>
I'm not scared of assault rifles, but i am not exactly looking forward to the paperwork of anything above pistol.
>>
>>29771037
>>29771050
Addendum if you are willing to get him something in the scary ASSAULT RIFLE variety, 9mm carbines are cool. Think Uzi, 9mm AR15, Beretta CX4, etc.
>>
He would probably love a Henry rifle. Any caliber, it's your choice.
>>
>>29771143
Generally rifles carry less paperwork than a pistol.
>>
>>29771158
oooo
interesting
>>
>>29771156
oh shit yeah
P.S. this is going to be owned solely by my son, but I'm getting a license so I can buy it for him, as a surprise.
>>
File: Screenshot_20160428-180758.jpg (128KB, 1332x506px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20160428-180758.jpg
128KB, 1332x506px
>>29771215
I always found this gun interesting. A pump .22. Pretty cool, he would probably enjoy it. I never really got to enjoy it, my dad was a felon for life just because he smoked some pot. But he tried his best. Other people always took me shooting, he took me to gun shows, he bought me what I wanted.
He even got his criminal record sealed and all of that.

Just promise me one thing, take care of your kid, take him shooting, and don't fight with your wife in front of him. Raise him right.
>>
>>29771269
single dad so no prob with the wife.
>>
>>29771289
Oh, that's good. It's unfortunate how one small thing, such as having fun with a little pot, will take away the most fun you can ever have, for the rest of your life. You can have your felonies expunged easily in every other state, not mass tho.
>>
How hard are 10/22s to obtain in MA?

Would honestly hold off on the .22 revolver I were you, but that's just my view. I don't know anything about your son. I just know that 15 year olds are stupid and it's easier to do stupid things with small, easily transportable guns. Your call.
>>
>>29771314
This is a good point. Don't tell him where you put the gun either. Make sure it is very hidden. I don't know your kid, but the last thing we need is another shooting. Discipline him well on the rules of firearms.
>>
>>29771345
He's well versed in gun safety etc, friends take us out shooting.
>>
>>29771360
Good to know. Like I said, your call. I don't know anything about your son.
>>
>>29771314

A 10/22 is the best first firearm for everyone, and this not an uncommon opinion. You should use this as a starting point, teach proper gun safety and handling, the four rules, etc. If he handles the firearm with respect and really shows an interest then you can go from there, but it really is the best starting point that you can also have fun with. A single shot or bolt action will leave him wanting more and a good semi 22 rifle is a great firearm you will both love and enjoy for both of your lifetimes.
>>
Wall of text incoming:

There two classes of licenses in MA, the License to Carry (LTC) and the Firearms Identification Card (FID).

An LTC permits the purchase, possession, transportation, and carrying of all large-capacity and non-large-capacity handguns, rifles, shotguns, feeding devives and ammunition.
Includes concealed carrying of loaded or unloaded handguns.

An FID permits the purchase, possession and transportation of non-large-capacity rifles, shotguns, and ammunition.

Large-capacity is defined as a semiautomatic handgun or rifle capable of accepting more than 10 rounds, OR is a semiautomatic shotgun capable of accepting more than 5 shotgun shells, OR is an assault weapon.

.22 rifles with a fixed tube magazine than can accept more than 10 rounds is not a large-capacity firearm.

To get an LTC you must be 21+. It costs $100 and is valid for 6 years.

To get an FID you must be 18+, (or 15-17 with parental consent). It costs $100 for 18+, $25 for under 18, amd is valid for 6 years.

All first time license applicants must take either a Certified Firearms Safety Course, or a Basic Hunter Education Course.
Cost varies based on instructor, I paid $100 for my CFSC.

Your local police department is your licensing authority. They have all the relevant forms and information you need, and can answer specific questions relevant to your town and county laws.

If you are buying the firearm, you will need either the LTC or FID. If it will be gifted to him, he'll legally need a license too, but if he only uses it with you present, he doesn't need a license. (I think)

In MA we are restricted to specific handguns, you can Google "MA Approved Firearms Roster" to find it. You are not legally able to buy a new handgun that is not on the roster. But you can buy one off the roster via an in-state private sale if you can find it.

Most rifles and shotguns are legal to own so long as they don't qualify as an assault weapon.
>>
>>29771447
An assault weapon under MGL is defined as:

>a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

>(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
>(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon ;
>(iii) a bayonet mount;
>(iv) a flash suppressor or threaded barrel designed to accommodate a flash suppressor; and
>(v) a grenade launcher;

>a semiautomatic pistol that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least 2 of--

>(i) an ammunition magazine that attaches to the pistol outside of the pistol grip;
>(ii) a threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip,
or silencer;
>(iii) a shroud that is attached to, or partially or completely encircles, the barrel and that permits
the shooter to hold the firearm with the nontrigger hand without being burned;
>(iv) a manufactured weight of 50 ounces or more when the pistol is unloaded; and
>(v) a semiautomatic version of an automatic firearm; and

>a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of--"

>(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
>(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the action of the weapon;
>(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
>(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.'“
>>
>>29771447
Huh. I looked it up, and it said that the legal age for owning guns was 15.
Hmm.
>>
>>29771492
If one possess an FID with parental consent, yes.
>>
>>29771516
Ah. ty for the clarification
>>
>>29771516
So, can you buy a gun at 15, with an FID?
>>
>>29771670
If you can get parental approval, your local police department to sign off on the license, and find a gun shop who will sell to you, and it's a non-large-capacity rifle or shotgun, yes.

It's perfectly legal, though I wonder how many gun store owners know that.
>>
>>29771757
Thank you, Calico Jack
>>
screencapped this entire thread for info's sake.
Thank you very much, /k/
>>
>>29771757
I bet the cops would alert the school tho. And the kid wouldn't be allowed to fart without being tackled.
>>
>>29771832
reasonable
>>
Id get him a .357 or 45 long colt lever gun once he begins to want a bit more kick, but for a starter a savage mk2 is a wonderful gun, its cheap and its easy to shoot. Its a tack driver if you ever decide to buy one with a scope too, which I recomend so you and him can learn to sight one in early on.
Have fun picking up your new hobby with your boy! Stay safe and always use protection!
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.