[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>cleaning up an old gun >field stripping it to do maintenance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: img_6030_1_1.jpg (561KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
img_6030_1_1.jpg
561KB, 800x600px
>cleaning up an old gun
>field stripping it to do maintenance on individual rusted parts
>can't remove several screws because screw slot is too narrow
>go buy new gunsmith screwdrivers
>screws still won't budge
>go buy wd40
>shit works except for 2 screws that will enable me to completely disassemble gun
>break not one but BOTH fucking screwdrivers on the fucking screw
>half of the 100+ year old screwhead snaps off also making removal impossible without an extractor
>don't have a drill or an extractor
>can't do shit with gun until I buy the tools I need and even then I'll need to hope I can replace the ancient fucking screw that's broken

Fucking guns. Why do we even put up with this bullshit? Pic not exactly related, I just don't have any more fucks to give right now.
>>
>>29770103
Nice blog post faggot
>>
I'm glad I got the Brownells MagnaTip set, I can grind a head to fit the screw if I need to and then just ask for a replacement.
>>
>>29770103
What gun is it?
>>
>>29770293
An old pre-WW1 pistol. The metal is soft, especially the screws, which is why I'm doubly pissed that I managed to fuck it up. Each part is virtually irreplaceable and even when I sort this fucking screw problem out I still need to decide just how the fuck I get/make another one to fit in there.
>>
>>29771514
>I still need to decide just how the fuck I get/make another one to fit in there
Find a gunsmith. A REAL gunsmith, one that cab actually make individual parts like screws from scratch.
>>
>>29771569
I'd rather just take the gun apart, ship it to some professional 3d printing company, have them scan it and make an updated version of all the parts in solid steel I can reassemble and use without fear of damaging them.
>>
>>29771514
Is it a fucking wood screw?

Figure out the TPI and other relevant info.

Buy a threading die the right size on amazon w/ next day shipping and turn down a rod, make the head you want, use threading die on it (blunt point but who cares).

??profit??
>>
>>29770103
Seriously OP that's not that big a deal.

It's annoying, yes. But you can relatively easily make a new bolt/screw.
>>
git gud nigga
>>
>>29772092
for that matter how do you know you can't buy a hex-head screw from the hardware store and use it?
>>
>>29771514
Ill bet you can go to your local fastenal and get a replacement screw
>>
>>29770103
Don't be surprised if you have to drill out the screw at this point. Gunsmiths who actually know what they're doing can make you new screws, it's a simple machining job.

Kroil > WD40, also you need to soak parts overnight, especially on old rusted stuff.
>>
>>29770103
Its good to see that CZ has upped their quality a little.
>>
>>29771514
Soak the threads in Break-Free overnight for Christ's fucking sake. And take it to a gunsmith to have him remove the one you fucked up.
>>
>>29772040
Probably won't work.

If it's pre WW1 the screw was more than likely hand made with a pitch of whatever the fuck the designer wanted and a diameter of anyones guess. It's literally a million to one shot that they made a screw in what would become a sae or metric thread with the correct pitch, major and minor diameters, and thread form.

>>29772210
kek

>>29772569
There are a few gunsmiths that specialize in making replicas of antique screws (most of them that I've seen are for enfields), your best bet is honestly is a machinist who knows his way around a lathe and can still grind tools because more than likely the thread form will not match an off the shelf tool.

Also, OP, penetrating oil exists for a fucking reason.
>>
>>29772725
>implying a gunsmith or OP couldn't just drill any modern screw into the hole and "make it fit".
>>
>>29773531
This, just redrill and retap it if there is enough meat.

>>29772725
What's wrong with fastenal?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.