[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

p220 vs p229 for a starting pistol

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: 220R5-45-MSE.jpg (55KB, 633x348px) Image search: [Google]
220R5-45-MSE.jpg
55KB, 633x348px
hey guys

moving to chicago for a job, think i might need my first gun for self-defence. you know, just in case. I also am a big fan of recreational shooting, I usually go skeet shooting with my grandfather's remington from the late 1930's (one of the last models you could get in the US before the war, in great shape, my dad and I fixed it up as a father / son thing).

i was looking at either a sig sauer p220 in .45, or a p229 in 9mm.

What should a total gun noob look for in his first piece of hardware? I want a solid, reliable, high-quality piece of gear. Anyone know the differences between the Sig p22x models?
>>
Get the p229 or a p226 in 9mm you will never regret this purchase
>>
>>29748992
The only good gun Exeter makes is the 320. I'd go 226 if you can find a German one
>>
>>29748992
9mm is cheaper. Handguns are hard to git gud with, you'll need to practice a lot.
>>
File: 1442062969394.jpg (117KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1442062969394.jpg
117KB, 720x540px
>>29748992
>Anyone know the differences between the Sig p22x models?

>P226=full size double stack 9mm
>P228=compact double stack 9mm
>P229=same thing as the P228 but designed to house .40, comes in 9mm too
>P220=full size single stack .45
>P227=full size double stack .45
>P224=subcompact double stack 9mm (would not recommend)
>P225=full size single stack 9mm (would not recommend)
>P239=compact single stack 9mm, basically a P225 but smaller

If you really want a sig, I would strongly suggest either a P226 or P239 if you want to carry it.

If you're just looking at the price tag and think Sigs are automatically better than anything else, you're mistaken. Are you familiar with DA/SA?
>>
>>29748992
Sig p229 is solid. Less costly and still solid as hell option is the p320. Go for 9mm, you won't regret it, but try to get a German p229 as Exeter p229 aren't as great.
>>
>>29748992
Honestly, I would not get a Sig as a first handgun. I was actually like you a few years ago. I had picked out the P229 Stainless Elite and had enough money to blow on it, but ended up getting a Glock 19 instead, and I'm glad I did.

First, it took me A LOT of practice to be able to shoot DA/SA competently from the draw, and I STILL prefer DAO and SAO style triggers for carry.

Second, while Sigs are high quality pistols with smooth trigger pulls out of the box, the increase in perceived quality is marginal over a $500 gun, and odds are, if it's your first handgun, your groupings will benefit a lot more from improving your technique, rather than improving your gear. Pick up a Walther PPQ for $500, get good on it, and you'll have the best of both worlds.

Last, Sigs are actually kind of easy to damage from mistreatment. The stainless steel that Exeter uses for their slides is very rough on the aluminum alloy frames, and if you don't run them with a lot of weapon grease on the frame rails, it's possible that they will wear out prematurely, leading to chips in the rails, leading to cracks, leading to a firearm that breaks as a result of "normal" use. As a newbie handgun owner, you could easily run it drier than it needs to be, causing more wear than should be there.

If you insist on getting a premium tier pistol, but want something a little less expensive, with a consistent trigger pull, and no problems with being run dry, check out an HK P2000 with LEM trigger.
>>
>>29748992
Better check the gun laws for Chicago. They're about the most bullshit laws in the US.
>>
>>29750700
>Last, Sigs are actually kind of easy to damage from mistreatment.

greasing rails and oiling the top of the barrel is literally not hard.

If you can't do such simple things, you really shouldn't bother owning a gun much less fucking with a sig in the first place.
>>
>>29752386
Did you even read my post? Fuck off, idiot.
>>
File: 1461397522581.jpg (48KB, 500x454px) Image search: [Google]
1461397522581.jpg
48KB, 500x454px
>>29752670
>Did you even read my post?

Yes I did, as long winded and retarded as it was. Do you have anything meaningful to contribute or are you going to spill more inane drivel?
>>
>>29752686
Try reading for comprehension next time.
>>
>>29752686
>three reasons not to splurge on an expensive sig for his first handgun
>personal experience to back it up
>two suggestions for alternative handguns that might meet OP's criteria and taste
>"Do you have anything meaningful to contribute or are you going to spill more inane drivel?"

It seems the irrational one "spilling inane drivel" here is you.
>>
>>29750337
i own a 225... its not really a full sized pistol
>>
>>29752797
He meant the P225A - the new production one, which is a little taller than the classic P225.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.