/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PDA for going /innazone/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 6

File: rugged-systems-dli-7200-002.jpg (305KB, 1056x644px) Image search: [Google]
rugged-systems-dli-7200-002.jpg
305KB, 1056x644px
I'm looking for something along the lines of pic related that I can take with me in trips innazone. I don't trust my smartphone as it's flimsy and dies after 10hrs. Bonus points for finding something that costs less than $400. I just want something that does most of the shit that the PDA from Shadow of Chernobyl does. Also S.T.A.L.K.E.R. General I guess.
>>
Panasonic toughpad fz a1
Samsung sm-t360nngaxar
>>
So a smartphone in an Otterbox case
>>
>>29734641
Still has the battery life issues.
>>
>>29734681
Bring a usb battery backup instead of another device.
>>
File: hx2795-2-lg.jpg (96KB, 280x400px) Image search: [Google]
hx2795-2-lg.jpg
96KB, 280x400px
>>29734681
I use a HP iPaq for work, and can assure you that they are absolute shit, as are the similar devices from other companies. If I had any other option to run an obscure maturity probe reader application and connent to the sensors, I would.

Battery life is a day, with mild usage. 5 hours of heavy use. They are delicate, with simple resistive membrane screens that scratch easily and panels that fail after any significant impart, such as dropping it or it falling off your dashboard.

Also, they are generally fucking useless. Most don't have GSM or CDMA support for basic voice and text, let alone LTE or HSPA. Ours can barely connent to wifi from more than 15' feet from a WAP.

Get a fucking smartphone and a battery case or external battery pack.
>>
>>29734528
wait, what fucking year is it?

DID I WAKE UP IN 2002 AGAIN?
>>
CAT S60 with battery packs, GO.

Integrated FLIR is sex.
>>
>>29734987
He's a role playing autist and doesn't want a smartphone, though both the S50 and S60 would be great choices.
>>
>>29735099
His only argument against smartphones was ruggedness and battery life, both of which aren't an issue here.
>>
>>29735099
You aren't wrong. Part of the reason I want a separate device is to conserve phone battery power. Also I was hoping to find something old and cheap that would cost less than a new phone.
>>
>>29735367
Buy a PDA, but get a used one off ebay. If it works for you great, and if it doesn't, you are out $75.

Your best bet for a functional device with useful applications is a smartphone, probably a ruggedized model. External batteries are cheap and solar units can be left to charge throughout the day.

The S50 is $400 unlocked, if that helps. There are also cheaper phones that you could put in a case.

I am partial to my Xperia Z Ultra and just buy another when I break it beyond fixing.
>>
File: 1457574253916.jpg (34KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
1457574253916.jpg
34KB, 640x360px
i remember there being a thread where OP needed a PDA but he needed one with incredibly fucking specific hardware so he could spy on his coworkers
>>
>>29734528
You can get battery packs for smartphones that can extend their life to a week.
How often are you planning on using the phone?
>>
>>29734681
There are solar and hand-crank units that can provide charge over USB.
>>
File: 1461229761304.jpg (27KB, 400x349px) Image search: [Google]
1461229761304.jpg
27KB, 400x349px
>>29736267
>hand-crank units
>mfw imagining it
>>
>>29736262
Was planning on using it for navigation and photography, as well as possibly recording audio logs or taking notes on shit. I want to expert level the /k/ stalker challenge.
>>
>>29736979
You either want a smartphone or go the old school route and get a GPS, camera, and voice recorder. Of what you listed, the PDA will actually be useful for taking notes, but still worse than a water-resistant notepad.
>>
File: blank-notepad-pencil-21362843.jpg (318KB, 957x1300px) Image search: [Google]
blank-notepad-pencil-21362843.jpg
318KB, 957x1300px
>>
File: 1VvuOQ.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1VvuOQ.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>PDA's
I'VE DONE IT! I TRAVELED BACK IN TIME TO 2003!!!

What's going on guys?
>>
Hey guys I just bought the new Nokia N95

699 otd, Fukken score

Literally 160mb (mb!!!!) at my disposal. Gianna Michaels clips at 240p res all day long my nigga

PDA fags don't know about this Symbian 9.2
>>
Get a dirt-cheap all-plastic android. You can twiddle around with the settings and get battery consumption super fucking low and they're basicaly indestructable even without a case
>>
>>29737665
examples?
>>
>>29736392
Rotary, not what you're thinking of. More like an electricity churn.

How do you say "A nu cheeki breeki" in Amish German?
>>
>>29734528
Get a ruggedized smartphone with a replaceable battery. If you specifically want something that isn't a phone you are going to end up with absolute dogshit specs (smartphones now days have at least 1 GB of RAM, PDAs topped out at 128MB before they started merging with smartphone and most only have 32 MB-64 MB, also for GPS you would most likely need an SDIO GPS card) that most likely won't compare durability wise to previously mentioned ruggedized smartphone. Just because a device is a brick doesn't mean that it will compare to a device designed to take tons of abuse. Also keep in mind that you likely won't find more specialized older devices such as ruggedized PDAs for cheap because they simply weren't popular (speaking as someone who recently was looking at older UMPCs and found out one simply can't readily purchase most models because they aren't common). If you want a small device that isn't a phone for other reasons such as government spying, you are either going to have to go with device much larger than a smartphone or deal with something that performs like shit.
>>
>>29738316
LG optimus t
Had one, threw it at windows, walls, and people and it's still great.
>>
>>29734528
>I just want something that does most of the shit that the PDA from Shadow of Chernobyl does. Also S.T.A.L.K.E.R. General I guess.
What if I was a richfag and willing to put some rel cash towards making this reality. Anyone think it could really be a thing? Long battery life while dormant. Seriously stronk for inna zone inna woods inna desert shenanigans. Not some data miners dream that is constantly updating our locataions and what ever to nogoodniks.
If we can do this I'll fund it. The days of /k/s dreams dining before they get a chance to breath are over.
>>
>>29738584
>Not some data miners dream that is constantly updating our locataions and what ever to nogoodniks.
You'll have to forego a cellular baseband entirely. All of them are required by law to be proprietary black boxes and be flashable OTA (thanks FCC).
>>
>>29737459
>not up and coming lisa sparxxx
Plebians,the whole lot of you.
>>
>>29738584
>Not some data miners dream that is constantly updating our locataions and what ever to nogoodniks.
So what are you looking for? If you want something that doesn't have programs on it for advertisers to collect your information then that's an easy fix with most already existing smartphones by flashing a new firmware like Cyanogenmod (it might even get you security updates that you wouldn't get otherwise). If you want only free as in freedom software/drivers running then there are a few phones that can run a version of Android called Replicant that does that or you could get a Neo FreeRunner if you want something that is also open hardware. If you're looking to avert government tracking then you shouldn't be carrying a phone in the first place as the NSA actively logs data about what phones connect to what towers and stores it for about a year (even in the US) which can give them and every other 3 letter agency that they recently gave access to their databases a map of your day to day travels. They can also run some extremely nasty exploits on the phone's baseband (think impossible to detect hardware backdoor access).
>>
>>29738760
If you're the guy I'm going to hand a bunch of cash to in hopes of making this happen you had better start using a secure trip code friendo.
Can we use an existing piece of hardware and program it our way? Because starting from scratch won't work for reasons you understand.

This goes for anyone who has the skill set to make this happen. Start using a trip so I know who I'm talking with.
>>
>>29734528
>Not just packing recharger batteries and a solar panel
>>
>>29738760
So WTF kind of network can we use so we can shitpost with each other and not get spied on.
>>
>>29739222
>If you're the guy I'm going to hand a bunch of cash to in hopes of making this happen
Nope, just someone who knows a bit about existing hardware older hardware from research I did when I got rid of my smartphone. Also made this post >>29738541. If you're interested, an older smartphone with Cyanogenmod/Replicant+an extended battery (you can get ones with 2x-3x the capacity for some phones)+an Otterbox or equivalent case hits all of your points if you aren't worried about state actors like the NSA and would be much cheaper than special custom hardware/software, just make sure to check that whatever smartphone you go with is compatible with everything before you purchase it. If you specifically want something that isn't a phone that's still pocket sized you're going to be scraping by on some seriously dated hardware as mentioned in my post here >>29738541 and I can't help you much with that.

>>29739379
Wifi hotspots are ubiquitous in populated areas now days, though there are still ways you could be spied on by state actors but they require actual people following you around.
>>
Just a thought. With Smartphones already including so many sensors, why aren't there any with a Geiger counter built in?
>>
>>29735555
>you are out $75

Yeah, if you liked getting butt-fucked.

A PDA shouldn't cost anymore than $10
>>
>>29739649
Sure if it's made of fucking sticks.
>>
>>29739640
prolly because it not easily done, also would lead to people freaking out to realize that radiation is normal.
>>
>>29734528
>Panasonic toughpad fz a1

This OP.
Coming from someone with experience.
The no-name shit you posted has little or no support after the life expectancy.

Only large names like Getac and Panasonic retain support.

I've never played stalker, can you please list what the device does?

The best affordable option is an old Palm PDA that takes AAA batteries.

I've personally found the PalmOS to be the only acceptable mobile OS.
I don't know how you feel about Android, but it renders the "buttons" too small for my fingers to push reliably.

I'm personally trying to get pricing on a Zypad WR1100.
Good luck if you want one, though.
Assholes at Eurotech keep saying they'll get back with me, but they never do.

I think you can get an FZ-A1 for $699 used now.
You may also want to look into a solar pad (or extra batteries) and a Panasonic CF-H2 or CF-H1 or CF-U1 if you're okay with the specs and you want a full Windows experience.
>>
>>29739777
The stalker PDA has a gps, keeps a log of missions, contacts, and acts like journal. Also has a geiger counter but I doubt I'm finding that on any PDA. The Panasonic BTS Toughpad FZ-X1ACBAZZM looks perfect, but for some inane reason it has a list price of $3000.
>>
>>29739649
>A PDA shouldn't cost anymore than $10
Where the hell are you looking? You can expect to pay $20-$30 for a low end one like a Palm Tungsten E2 with 32 MB of RAM that's doubles as storage (almost all Palm brand PDAs were like this and Pocket PC PDAs mapped part of the file system to the RAM) and no wifi/GPS without a SDIO expansion card (which you can only use one of at a time).
>>
>>29740125

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Panasonic-BTS-Toughpad-FZ-X1ACBAZZM-5-inch-Android-Tablet-with-Charger-/401109243792?hash=item5d63f95790:g:zrkAAOSw8aNXGTNU
>>
>>29740183
>Where the hell are you looking?

Every thrift store and asshole that sells one here in Florida.

The last one I bought was a Sony Clie for $2 because it had all the accessories, but the Li-Ion battery was blown.

They're cheap as shit.
I only paid $20 for a Intermec CN2 with the docking stations, although it was admittedly was shit and it ultimately turned me off Windows CE for good.
>>
>>29740183
>no wifi/GPS without a SDIO expansion card

You can get that with a Handspring Tungsten for $7 on Ebay.

It's far from perfect, but OP asked for cheap options.

Also, keep in mind OP, a lot of old PDAs used DRAM storage, meaning if the power supply were to be interrupted (either of the batteries) all the data would be lost unless you used the docking station to transfer the information over to a PC via the serial bus.
>>
Galaxy S6 and an otter box. Juggernaut case when they come out. Solar charger, auxiliary battery, wall charger/car charger.
>>
>>29740479
>Every thrift store and asshole that sells one here in Florida.
Damn, I've never seen a PDA at a thrift store across multiple states and I normally check the electronics sections for anything interesting. I got that price from checking Ebay.

>I only paid $20 for a Intermec CN2
Looked up the specs and that appears to be pretty damn good as far as PDAs went before they all started turning them all into smartphones.
>>
>>29740125
>but for some inane reason it has a list price of $3000

That's the same for all Panasonic products: they age like milk.
My CF-T7 that I'm using right now cost $1500 new, but I got it for $15 several years later.

You won't see such a dramatic drop on the more specialized units, though. That's why you still see the CF-U1 go for well over $50 despite it only using an Intel Atom. The more popular the unit, the cheaper it will be.

So if you don't want to spend $3000 on a great, but hugely overpriced unit; you have several options.

1. Buy an old PDA with a GPS module for ~$20 and pray the batteries don't die.

2. Give up the idea of pocket-able and buy a CF-30, CF-19, CF-U1 or CF-H1/2 for ~$100

3. Buy an older gen Toughpad variety device for ~$700

You're not going to get a cheap, rugged, small and "recent" device at this time.

And if you get a PDA, get a monochrome version.
You can read the units in daylight without using hardly any power.
With little use, I've had my Handspring last over two weeks.
>>
>>29740702
>>29740125
>Also has a geiger counter

The Chinese are making a geiger counter that uses the 3.5mm phone jack on cell phones.
You might want to look into that, although I think it might only measure beta radiation.
I can't vouch for the quality, but they're on ebay if you want one.
>>
>>29739666

What do you think they were in the 1990s?
>>
>>29740698
>I've never seen a PDA at a thrift store across multiple states

Where do you live?
I've rejected several units over the past few weeks because I didn't need them and I wasn't taking a chance with them not working for the "high" price of $5.

I feel bad for you, Anon.

Check your local flea market.

>appears to be pretty damn good

Yeah if only the shit OS didn't ruin it and it had more port connectivity it would have been pretty good.

The OS is the most important part of these older devices.

Also, OP should look into miniPCs as well like the HP Jordana
>>
>>29740814
>Where do you live?
Really don't want to give that out.

>I've rejected several units over the past few weeks because I didn't need them and I wasn't taking a chance with them not working for the "high" price of $5.
Okay, now I'm really jealous. Maybe I should try thrift stores in a nearby city with a significantly larger population that I end up going to every so often. Wish there were some non cell phone options readily available with a physical keyboard but that's a bit to much for me to ask considering the ones I've seen on line are ~$100 and I can't even get a regular one locally.

>The OS is the most important part of these older devices.
Hell, it's still important. My netbook runs better than my Android smartphone despite having the same amount of RAM and a worse processor simply because I made sure to choose programs that use less RAM, Android by itself with the processes I'm not using stopped uses about as much RAM as my Linux install, my browser, and my email client on my netbook combined. It makes a huge difference in how fast everything feels.

>Also, OP should look into miniPCs as well like the HP Jordana
Seconding this, as they generally allow more room to upgrade and add features that you might want like GPS. Some also have Linux support which could potentially give you more access to other programs you might want. Sadly a lot of newer late 2000s models seem to be either expensive due to being extremely high end when they were made or extremely rare due to not being sold in the US (damn Nips and their affordable UMPCs that they didn't share).
>>
>>29739601
This guy hates money.
>>
Just get a rugged case and turn your smartphone to Airplane Mode, bring battery packs.

Now give me $20.
>>
>>29736979
/k/ stalker challenge?
>>
What do you use you Phones/PDA/Laptops for while operating?
Give me Ideas!
>>
>>29741537
>Really don't want to give that out

I don't the city; I mean the state.
What are people going to do anyway?
I live in Winter Haven, FL.

It's like Windows 7 with Flash.
Windows 7 is a nice OS on my laptop, but when I install Adobe flash the speed and stability goes to shit when I'm using my web browser.
I've done it twice now; I need to give up trying to play games online.

What phone do you use?

>due to being extremely high end

They weren't, really.
They're specialized.
That's the same reason the original Canon 1Ds, despite being over 15 years old, still sells for over $400.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.