[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Jungle Carbine Keyholing

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: IMG_0013.jpg (3MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0013.jpg
3MB, 3888x2592px
Got a jungle carbine a week ago and only shot it today.

The bore looks good to me but for some reason the bullets are keyholing.

I recovered three bullets (fired into a block of wood) and two are smooth as fuck - the ones recovered sideways - while the third has some visible rifling marks but entered at an angle instead of completely sideways - it was mangled enough that I couldn't get a good picture.

I'm going to swage the barrel tomorrow and take measurements. Any suggestions for what it could be?
>>
>>29709183

Probably the crown.
>>
>>29709183
I also measured the bullets before firing. THey're exactly 0.311 inches.
>>
>>29709187

this

may need to be recrowned. or, it was shot with corrosive ammo but never cleaned properly
>>
Keyholing at what range?
Does the action close smoothly?
Is the ammo full power?
Are the projectiles still round in cross section?

I have seen MK IV and MKVs with shot out bores still shooting straight.
>>
File: DWM14.jpg (90KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DWM14.jpg
90KB, 640x480px
>>29709183
post a pic of this part of your gun
>>
>>29709301
I test fired it at short range before apcking up and deciding I wasn't going to was $1.50 a round ammo.

The action feels like every other Lee Enfield action I've used

It's factory 180gr SP boat tail PPU ammo.

Given they hit something sideways, no.
>>
>>29709309
but better focus :/
>>
maybe the barrel has been redone to a different caliber since your rounds clearly aren't engaging the rifling.
>>
Slug the bore. Try 00 buckshot pellets or a slightly larger lead sinker if that doesn't give clear rifling marks.
>>
>>29709317
I'm not sure I could get one with a decent focus.
>>
Slug it.

Beat a lead slug through the barrel & see what diameter it comes out.
>>
>>29709330
I've got a 0.311 cast projectile I'm going to swage it with.
>>
File: IMG_0024.jpg (3MB, 3888x2592px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0024.jpg
3MB, 3888x2592px
Okay, landing to ridge diameter of 0.309. It's a 5R barrel so I can't get a rifling to rifling diam.

The flash hider is filthy though. I'm not sure how I missed that earlier. I'll clean it with a brass brush in the morning.
>>
>>29709426
isn't rifling supposed to leave a lot deeper grooves than that?
>>
>>29709449
From what I found online this is in spec
>>
>>29709472
then how come those bullets don't seem to show any rifling marks? maybe the flashhider is doing something odd.
>>
>>29709488
I was thinking it might be from hitting a block of pine sideways at 750m/s. The one that didn't go completely sideways has some rifling marks on it.
>>
File: image.jpg (185KB, 1080x607px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
185KB, 1080x607px
>>29709183
I had the exact same issue with my lee enfield, foot wide groupings at 50 meters with sideways bullet holes. through the bore looks just fine, but looking at the muzzle end at an angle, you can see that the rifling in the last few inches is pretty much non existant

Have a guess which marks are from my nugget and which are from my .303
>>
>>29709529
I'm beginning to think it's the flash hider. Loads of caked on shit there.
>>
If it was touching up in the flash hider the flash hider would probably deform after a while. So clean that shit before you shoot again.

Bullet hitting flash hider/muzzle brake/suppressor always ends in tears.

- Prusse
>>
is it a real jungle carbine or a knockoff?
>>
File: .25-35.jpg (157KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
.25-35.jpg
157KB, 640x480px
bump
>>
just get a gunsmith to counterbore it
>>
>>29711863
that may not be the problem. the recovered bullets barely show any rifling marks. he may be using undersized bullets
>>
Counterbore. That or just limit to deer hunting 50 yds and in -- would sure wreck a doe.
>>
>>29711872
Look at the swaged bullet. It's pretty obvious he's using undersized ammo.
>>
>>29711863
>>29711872
>>29712276
>>29712407

so it would appear the bore a a lil' shot out
>>
>>29709472
that doesnt even look like grooves. it looks like the paint was just worn off
>>
>>29709183
If your refering to the enfield Jungle carbine than its probably unfixable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P75mXWv_-0o
ian will explain
>>
>>29713324
you could take it to an expert gunsmith and he could machine the bolt and barrel shank square
>>
>>29713324
I would rather buy a normal enfield and alter it to look like a jungle carbine.
>>
>>29714094
it would be worth it if you bought a bubba'd "sporter" enfield, but the pats can be really expensive
>>
>>29709529
I had the same issue until I started reloading. The Remington core-lokt ammo (the only 303 I could really find near me) is total shit. I pulled one of their bullets and was able to drop it down the barrel, one end to another. I ordered some Hornady 303 Cal (.312") for reloading and they group like gold at 100 yards. The shitty Remington ammo, when I measured it, was .305"
>>
>>29714394
a .06 loose tolerance for ammunition can be extremely dangerous.
is there some kind of way to report them for making possibly dangerous out of spec. ammo?
>>
Wow, so many retard here incapable of reading.
>>
>>29714394
When I had my No5MK1 I had good results with PPU
Sold it to my friend though. Never really liked cock on close
>>
>>29714676
All of their ammo is this way. I have boxes from 2 years ago and a box from December. It's not a batch issue. They all measure the same. Remington has simply gone to shit and I won't be buying any more of their products.
>>
>>29714394
I had the same issue. Wasn't sure if it was ammo or not until I bought a different brand. Really puzzled me for a while.
>>
File: Experiment setup.jpg (141KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
Experiment setup.jpg
141KB, 528x960px
oh boy, a keyholing thread! time to dump pics
>>
File: 308 keyhole.jpg (83KB, 528x960px) Image search: [Google]
308 keyhole.jpg
83KB, 528x960px
>>29719631
and that's from a PTR 91 after going through 8 or 10 inches of wood from maybe 30 yards? I was using Silver Bear
>>
>>29709183
I had one once. Apparently for a while the practice of cutting a triangular divot out of the crown caught on in Burma. Apparently the idea was at the short engagement ranges you typically had your would want the round to tumble for more effect. Re crowned it shot great.

I still kick myself for selling it. Sadly I sold it because I went to live in the Commonwealth. As a US Cit I could own it in the US. But in Britain I could not. I should of stashed it with someone I trusted.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.