[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are the advantages of an Ekranoplan?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 6

File: Ekranoplan.jpg (202KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
Ekranoplan.jpg
202KB, 1366x768px
Just what ARE the tactical advantages of an Ekranoplan?

They may be fast and can carry a decent payload and all, but they're expensive to build and maintain. That and they can only operate under calm ocean conditions, or they'd just catch a wave with their wingtip and smash into the ocean.
>>
>>29574206
It'll scare the living shit out of anyone that sees it rushing towards them.
>>
>>29574206
I imagine you wouldn't have to worry so much about mines as well
>>
Could it actually be invulnerable from modern submarines? I know almost all submarines now wouldn't pop up to the surface and fire its cannon so it should also be safe from torpedoes. The only thing I could see this monster being useful is acting like a coastal missile platform and even destroyers do a better job at that.
>>
File: youseeivan.jpg (137KB, 814x500px) Image search: [Google]
youseeivan.jpg
137KB, 814x500px
>>29574206
>>
>>29574206
None. Supposedly ekranoplan could have better fuel efficiency than aircraft but it never happened.
>>
File: sm8-3.jpg (62KB, 700x377px) Image search: [Google]
sm8-3.jpg
62KB, 700x377px
>>29575580
I don't get why anyone thinks they'd be more efficient. They're flying in the densest possible air with absurdly low aspect-ratio wings (horrible for efficiency) and they're often using far more engines than an aircraft of comparable weight.

They might be more efficient than a conventional aircraft with the same wings, but that's just because ground effect fucks with wingtip vorticies.
>>
Ekranoplans are just really fast boats, functionally.

They only work in relatively clam seas also. As high seas will fuck with the ground effect.

So they can only work in the Baltic Sea, Caspian Sea, lakes, Black Sea, and maybe the Med on a good day.
>>
>>29576780
>I don't get why anyone thinks they'd be more efficient.
Ground effect increases lift to drag ratio of the wing so it increases fuel efficiency too. But flight in ground effect brings so much other negatives that they fully negate this bonus.
>>
File: 14424889972591.jpg (98KB, 940x611px) Image search: [Google]
14424889972591.jpg
98KB, 940x611px
carry more then normal plane
faster than ship
more efficient
>all those engines are just starting engines, for normal flight needs only 2, A-90 uses only single turboprop.
goes above mines
goes below radar
not limited to water surfaces
>they also land and start from land
can fly
>A-90 could reach 3km

this is from top of my head

second Lun supposed to be mobile field hospital for rapid deployment to any ocean or coastal location and they may got more uses if they were more common.
>>
>>29577126
forget the ekranoplan, what the hell is that floating building in the background?
>>
File: Lun.webm (633KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Lun.webm
633KB, 720x540px
>>
>>29577126
>more efficient
do you actually have anything to back that up or are you just talking out your ass like the autist in the flying boat thread?
>>
>>29576780
>They might be more efficient than a conventional aircraft with the same wings, but that's just because ground effect fucks with wingtip vorticies.
Not only.
>>
>>29577397
protip
>he is the autist in the flying boat thread
>>
File: Beriev_VVA-14_in_2010.jpg (686KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Beriev_VVA-14_in_2010.jpg
686KB, 1280x853px
>>29577126
>>29577247
Seriously. This whole thread is full of weird dreamlike shit. I'm sure there's a really good reason for that floating building to be there, but why does it look like that? Why all the windows? What look like arches on the docklevel floor?

Pictured: more weird science fiction shit. Is this the real life?
>>
>>29577908
That thing. Soviets wanted it to be VTOL and supersonic. One variant was also using inflatable pontoons.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.