[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

PPU v RAS

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 2

File: Century'sMeme-unition.jpg (166KB, 800x520px) Image search: [Google]
Century'sMeme-unition.jpg
166KB, 800x520px
For those of you who shoot or have interest in 7.62x25 guns and/or ammo, I have a question.

I own 2 Tokarevs and a PPS43 (which, praise be to Kek, will have its tax stamp in soon). I love 7.62x25, but I am wondering which of these is the better new production ammo- PPU or Century's Red Army Standard? I am needing to do another bulk order of this ammo and can't decide which is better because there aren't really any comparisons online.

I actually found some tests where the PPU maxed out at about 1600fps out of the Tokarev, but I can't find anything on the RAS. As a side note, Sellier & Bellot is okay, but fairly weak in this caliber.

Here is my personal experience- PPU feeds well and shoots well. Feels to be loaded hotter than S&B. However, in my Romanian Tokarev, I often get hang ups where the slide goes back, but doesn't come back to chamber the next round. In the PPS, the damn firing pin totally shatters the primer, but otherwise it fires fine.

For the RAS- same consistent shootability, but it even feels a bit hotter than PPU. My Romanian Tokarev doesn't hang up nearly as much with this ammo and the PPS doesn't destroy the primers.

Anyone else have interest in this caliber or any other insights? I guess this can be a 7.62x25 thread.
>>
I've shot both PPU and RAS in my tok and pps-43c. Both are really fine ammunition. It all depends how you feel about the RAS steel case and bi-metal jacket.
>>
>>29563203
PPU is good reload able brass. RAS is steel cased. The choice for long term shooting should be obvious.
>>
Is six dollars a good price for a box of 20 nugget rounds? The academy near me has RAS for that price.
>>
>>29563451
>>29563484
I don't reload, so I'm not that concerned in that regard. Have either of you tested penetration or velocity of either brand?
>>
>>29563203
i heard ppu is hot stuff
>>
File: 20141026_185332.jpg (1MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
20141026_185332.jpg
1MB, 2560x1920px
>>29563586
Nah, they both fucking rock though.
>>
>>29563605
That's what I've heard too. Just wondering how RAS stacked up.

>>29563641
Does your PPS shatter the primers on PPU ammo? Mine totally bursts the primers, but it doesn't seem to have any negative mechanical effect. I am curious if this means the firing pin is protruding too far, though.

I actually find that 7.62x25 should be a decent defense caliber because its so fast and light that even though it penetrates well, it also deforms and flattens out when it hits something thick. There is the overpenetration meme, but I wonder if there is any real world anecdotes that explain what its effects are in real situations.
>>
>>29563586
Unless you have a lot of money or don't plan on shooting much, I HIGHLY suggest you reload. 7.62x25 isn't easy to come by all the time and it definitely isn't cheap.
>>
>>29563605
>>29563789
Not sure about 7.62x25 ammo from PPU, but their 10mm is pretty tame compared to other loads that are considered "hot"
>>
>>29563203

PPU is definitely nicer than anything RAS makes
>>
>>29563526
In 2016 I would be content paying 30 CPR for nugget food. Last non-bulk x54R in 2014 was $6.47 per 20, where they just busted open a spam can and sold the packets out for ~cost of whole can (would be 142 dollars for the can in 2014 ish, maybe 2013) so yeah, $6 is fine.
>>
>>29563809
I don't shoot 1000s of rounds of it a year, nor do I have the space for reloading. I'll buy a case and it'll last me a year or more. I keep a few hundred for "just in case", and then a few hundred to shoot. Its not my main caliber, but it's one that I really love to shoot now and then. I suppose I organize my ammo priorities into a hierarchy sort of thing.
>>
>>29563203
I've shot an assload of both, and I prefer PPU (it recoils harder and feels like it's loaded slightly hotter)
RAS is cool as fuck and reliable as well.

I'm not able to talk about accuracy though. My tokerev has just about no MOA.
It's got rifling (not much though. Enough to be legal.) and the bushing's rattly as fuck.
>>
>>29563838
Yea this is the thing that trips me up, PPU is kinda inconsistent between calibers. Some calibers are pretty hot, while some are average or weakly loaded compared to other brands of that caliber.
>>
>>29563960
Then RAS would be the better bargain for you.

Not to harp on it too much or sound like an ass, but you really should look at reloading. It doesn't require much space, it's a fun hobby, and it can help you weather future panics in the gun market. Plus you can shoot more for the same price you currently pay.
>>
>>29564001
It seems to me (not the guy you first responded to) that PPU is pretty consistently loaded hot.

I've only shot their 7.62x25, 8mm Mauser, and 9mm makarov, but it just seems like it kicks more than other brands of these calibers.
>>
find bulgarian suprlus

it is steel core and hot
>>
>>29564176
>finding surplus 7.62x25
Unless OP is Canadian, it's neither easier nor cheaper.
>>
>>29564143
And to me (The guy who you responded too originally) that they are pretty consistently not hot, shooting 10mm and 30-06, which I know is apples to oranges, but take this info as you will.
>>
>>29563998
Sucks about the tokarev man. Mine are the most accurate handguns I own. What country is your's from?

>>29564042
I toss around the idea every now and then. Its the investment, time, and space that always turns me away from it. Im not opposed to learning it, but I'm not in the right place in my life for it yet.

Anyway, for you PPS owners, how has your experience been with them? Any problems or weird things ever happened with them?
>>
>>29564188
I got 1600 rounds of it for less than 20c a round, less than a year ago.
>>
>>29564218
Well damn, good for you then.
>>29564209
Romania. It's from the 50's (don't remember the exact year.)
>>
>>29564189
Huh. Guess I won't buy their 10mm or 30-06.

As they said, they're not consistent with every round they make.
The stuff I used was hot. His were in different calibers that I have no experience with. His might have been low.
>>
>>29564269
Yeah and it's interesting to hear this because I have not heard anything before. I mean, every single shot I've had with their ammo so far has been flawless. If their ammo seems to have this kind of variance though, how long before I get a catastrophic failure?
>>
>>29564294
It's consistent amongst rounds of the same caliber/cartridge. Their loads amongst different calibers are obviously not consistently hot though (say, their 8mm Mauser might be hot when they make it but their 30-06 is not loaded hot)
>>
>>29564218
Yea that's a rare find. Good on you for snagging it up.

>>29564294
>>29564336
The last guy had this right. Its not that it's bad ammo and will explode or something, its actually very consistent and nice ammo. The problem is that some calibers are loaded hot, while others are loaded to average or below average specs compared to other brands of the same caliber. Its that inconsistency that makes it hard to judge when ppu is a good buy and when another brand is a better choice.
>>
>>29564189
Their .380 is pretty mild too. Tame enough to show my sister too shoot since the thought the xtps were too snappy.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.