[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

s&w 3906

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

just picked up my sw 3906. curious of some open carry style holsters. can anyone recommend a good one?
>>
For a 30 year old gun? Good luck. Might be some old police holsters or something.
>>
>>29514814

Safariland level 1 or 2.
>>
Can't recommend one, but I've bought a couple at Hosterama and been very happy with all of them. Even the lower priced ones.
>>
>>29514881

http://www.safariland.com/holster-search?dwfrm_holsterfinder_gunid=274515&dwfrm_holsterfinder_lightid=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_addonid=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_guntype=pistol&dwfrm_holsterfinder_manufacturer=Smith+%26+Wesson&dwfrm_holsterfinder_model=3906&dwfrm_holsterfinder_barrellength=4.00&dwfrm_holsterfinder_caliber=9x19mm+Parabellum&dwfrm_holsterfinder_haslight=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_lighttype=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_hasaddon=&dwfrm_holsterfinder_addontype=&prefn1=gunList&prefv1=274515&prefn2=lightListText&prefv2=none&prefn3=mountListText&prefv3=none
>>
File: image.jpg (399KB, 1334x750px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
399KB, 1334x750px
I was wanting a good holster for my S&W model 49. Pocket, ankle and IWB works.
Any holster that would work for a model 36 snubnose j frame would work for it.
>>
>>29514851
im talking anything at all m8. it doesnt have to be molded and form fitting. and your mothers a 30 year old gun
>>
>>29514894
shes a beaut man. thank you
>>
>>29514814
>just picked up my sw 3906
I wasn't even aware that there was such a model. That must be pretty rare. Is yours in good condition?
>>
>>29514814
I've never heard anything but praise for those guns.
There's no way they live up to the hype. I think there's just not enough of them for general rebuttals to the fanboy owners.

I am jealous of your gun though.
>>
>>29514998

>heavy gun
>heavy/long DA trigger pull
>stupid safety
>very wide grip

They aren't that great.
>>
>>29515019
Thank you for responding
>>heavy gun
Shoots nicer
>>heavy/long DA trigger pull
As long as it's smooth that's not necessarily bad
>>stupid safety
I could not possibly agree more. The safety is idiotic especially with a DA/SA as opposed to SAO.
>>very wide grip
Not bad for everyone.
>>
Isn't this the Lady Wesson?
>>
>>29514998
They are reliable, all metal pistols, and you can often find them for a pretty good price. In 75-80% condition, they would have a few scratches, but they're stainless guns so there won't be much, if any, rust. You can still find 5906's and some other common models in that kind of shape for $300 or less, both locally and on Gunbroker. People perceive them as a great value and a very good pistol.

They're not really competitive with something like a Sig or a Beretta, as far as all metal guns go, though. The trigger pull is pretty good, very workable, and the reset is so short that you'll think Sig's SRT reset is long, but there are a lot of internal levers that the trigger actuates through the pull, as it engages the FPB and disengages the mag disconnect, and the DA pull just doesn't have that smooth, luxurious feel of a Sig, Beretta or HK trigger, for example.

The alloy frame guns are a pretty good weight, and lots of people still use a 6906 or 3913 for concealed-carry - both are great CCWs - but if you run these guns dry, it's possible to really damage the aluminum alloy frame rails, which really shortens their lifespan. That's no different from an Exeter Sig, but still is something I don't like to see on my guns.

As far as the steel frame ones go, yes, they are heavy and the weight makes the recoil a little less severe, but the weight isn't really in the right place to dampen the recoil. Most of the weight is under your grip, as opposed to being out in front of the trigger guard, and the guns are just heavy, not really light shooters.

Personally, I think that the grip size and trigger reach are very average, which is a good thing. Even the double-stack models fit most hands. However, the grip texture isn't that aggressive for most models, and has slick spots in crucial areas. This is an area where the second generation S&W's were actually superior. Many second gens had aggressive checkering on the front and rear of the metal part of the grip.
>>
>>29514998
>>29515147
One more thought: I had a few more jams with my third gens, when I was more into collecting them, than I had with other pistols I owned. It could have just been old magazine springs, or old recoil springs, but the guns I owned simply weren't as reliable as others that I owned. Since they were made quite a while ago, I'd suspect that if I tested them with a wide variety of hollow points, I'd find that they were picky with ammo. That's mostly what motivated me to sell them. They're cool pistols, though. Just not up to my standards.
>>
>>29515019
you forgot
>magazine safety, just like every S&W, that was only included to make the gov happy
>>
>>29514960
not sure of its rarity,i had bought it thinking it was a 5906, to get it home and be shocked by the 3906 markings on it. APPARENTLY. from what im reading, they were produced in small numbers, so maybe the 499 price on it wasnt that bad after all
>>
>>29515103
if you cant do a simple google search to sound like less of a fucking retard on /k/ get the fuck out. but it does look.. kind of similar.faggot.
>>
does anyone have the guide that shows these SW style models and their gen ages and all that shit?
>>
File: SW-semi-model-chart-1.jpg (546KB, 894x2104px) Image search: [Google]
SW-semi-model-chart-1.jpg
546KB, 894x2104px
>>
>>29514851
>For a 30 year old gun?

Yeah this OP. Just like the P226, CZ75, M9, Glock, Makarov, 1911, nobody makes holsters for those old ass 30+ guns.
>>
File: image.jpg (152KB, 1027x700px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
152KB, 1027x700px
>>29514894
Anyone?
>>
>>29515626
Sorry, I meant a gun that has been out of production for 25 years.
>>
>>29515399
It has single stack magazines, right?
>so maybe the 499 price on it wasnt that bad after all
Depends on the condition.
>>
>>29516745
You're still fucking wrong.
>>
>>29516745
You mean 6 years?
>>
>>29514851
Plenty of police departments still have and use turd gen Smith and Wessons. Problem is, they're usually used as off-duty or detective guns, so open carry with retention isn't common.

Your best bet, OP, is probably going to be a leather pancake holster. Try De Santis, NYPD still carries the turd gens, and De Santis supplies holsters to them.

>>29514894
Anything molded leather is fine. Your choice if you prefer open top, thumb break, or that funny old-school leather flap inside the holster that catches the cylinder for retention (what is that shit even called?)

>>29515399
How do you confuse a single stack compact with a double stack full size?

>>29514998
I have a 5906 and a 3914. They're both pretty awful and I honestly wouldn't recommend them to anybody unless the alternatives also had 12lb NY triggers (in which case, 12lbs smooth is nicer than 12lbs heavy) or were Hi-Points. Miserably heavy things with lousy ergonomics.

That said, neither one has given me a single malfunction in 3000+ rounds on the 5906, and ~600 in the 3914. Both are prone to extractors chipping though, although the 5906 went through 100 rounds without a hitch even with half the extractor hook missing.

B- gun would pick again
>>
>>29516999
The 3906 isn't a compact.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.