[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

strike fighters!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 7

whats the best strike/multirole fiighter and why ws it the F-15E?
>>
>>29512574

If it is so great.......

then why didn't even 1 single country buy the Silent Eagle?
>>
>>29512585
not needed strike eagle is good as is and stealth is very expensive to maintain ad is more of a specialty item.
>>
>>29512604

But that means that the F-15 is at a dead end now. There is nowhere else for them to go.
>>
File: 1440471367569.jpg (1009KB, 3000x2400px) Image search: [Google]
1440471367569.jpg
1009KB, 3000x2400px
>>29512585
>Strike Eagle
>Silent Eagle

Why would you come into a thread you know nothing about and then run your mouth?
>>
>>29512635
avionics and systems upgrades, ex AESA.
>>
File: StraightOuttaSomewhere.jpg (83KB, 846x846px) Image search: [Google]
StraightOuttaSomewhere.jpg
83KB, 846x846px
>>29512637

The Silent Eagle would have been an upgraded Strike Eagle. However, nobody bought the Silent Eagle which means the F-15 has reached the end of its evolution. It will go no further.

There is a new sheriff in town.
>>
>>29512709
near its end the f-15E will be in service till at least 2030 as the F-35 will not yet have the numbers to fully replace everything its set to for a while.
>>
Strike and multirole fighters are two separate things.

Eurofighter is generally considered the best multirole that you can buy today.

There aren't really any modern strike fighters, i guess you could make a case for F35 but it'd be a push.

No F15 platform would be considered close to being the best in 2016.
>>
>>29512574
Current: F-15E
Near-Future: F-35
>>29512585
South Korea did in the F-15K.
>>
>>29513095
K isnt stealthy.
>>
>>29512637
>>29513095

What's it like living in in 90's ?

Literally no one is buying F15E. The only aircraft being produced are going to maintain existing fleets or fulfil orders from 10 years ago.

also

>25sqm RCS
>>
>>29513273
The Saudi's ordered some in 2013
>>
>>29513778

And that's probably the last order they'll ever get. The Silent Eagle was their last ditch effort to get new orders. It failed.
>>
>>29513778

did you not read

>The only aircraft being produced are going to maintain existing fleets
>>
>>29512765
>Eurofighter is generally considered the best multirole that you can buy today.
kek
>>
>>29512709
>>29512728
>>29513095
>>29513273
You people do realize that the F-35 is NOT replacing the F-15E, right? That it's working alongside it for the next couple decades, just like the F-35C and Superbug in the USN? Hell, there will even be some F-15Cs kept flying well into the next two decades. The F-15E is still extremely useful in the USAF for permissive airspace long range interdiction, as a BVR missile truck for F-22/F-35 CAP/air superiority patrols and as a basic bomb truck for general strike (it's payload is still massive for a tactical aircraft, with great range and excellent sensors).

The F-35 replaces: F-16, F-18C/D and AV-8B. That's it. The fact that other airframes are retiring due to airframe fatigue and obsolescence and the F-35 will be taking on some of their workload (A-10, partially the F-15C) is a separate issue from designed replacement.
>>
File: f35.png (123KB, 500x334px) Image search: [Google]
f35.png
123KB, 500x334px
Lol you wish you were as multirole as me.
>>
>>29513273

The Saudis and Singaporeans are still buying F-15E's (or the SA and SG, to be more precise)

>>29513872
>>29513793

The SA is a upgrade from the S. It's as 4.5th gen as you can get in a F-15E-based fighter. Fully digital FBW, built in HMD support, nice new displays, the -129 motor... Shame they suck at maintaining them.
>>
ok since nobody's really talking about why the F-15E is such a great strike fighter:

2 main reasons.

wide variety and large payload of munitions. it can carry basically every air to air and air to ground weapon the US has, and there are some where it's the only fighter that can carry it, and even some that were only for it (GBU-15/AGM-130).

2 guys in the jet. greater SA, lower task loading, better bombing.
>>
>>29516961
>2 guys in the jet. greater SA, lower task loading, better bombing.
Yes, the F-15E was probably the best multirole for two decades in a comparison not accounting for cost of acquisition or flight hour cost. Agree with your post, with the caveat that the backseater is becoming increasingly irrelevant with the excellent 5th gen comms and sensor fusion. With the F-35, if for some reason the pilot is overwhelmed with sensor picture complexity in a high-complexity battlespace (which is a very high threshold, considering how miraculously low the pilot workload in the F-35 is), LPI MADL datalink ensures that the strategic air assets in theatre like AWACS or the JSTARS can act as direct support. Sensor/comms fusion means that they get EVERYTHING a backseater would get, spread among as much as two dozen brains and have the added advantage of being able to immediately vector other assets in and deal with emerging threats. And all this requires almost no new headspace for the pilot.

You want to talk about why 5th gen is a sea change in modern air combat or why the term "information shooter" means a jump almost as great as that from prop to jet fighters? What I described above is the core of it.
>>
>>29517669

not gonna lie, better sensor fusion would be great. i currently have to juggle a lot of things and flip between display formats to grab information. there's a lot of times when there's 6 pages i'd like to have up at the same time, and only 4 displays. however, single-pilot task saturation will always be an issue for something highly demanding like ensuring air-to-air sanitation while on an interdiction-type mission. sometimes in the back of the Strike Eagle you feel like you have better SA on everything going on around you than what your own aircraft or flight is doing. you can distribute tasks amongst the flight, or even AWACS, but they've got many other jets to support. taking the time to do it for you takes time away from others. therefore, maximizing each fighter's capacity for self-support is the most robust strategy. and two brains working together effectively are always better than one.
>>
>>29517934
SEAD mode? You see the threat level rings.

The sensor suite locates, ID, tracks, and tags in the HMD augmented reality using 600+ parameters from the data every sensor is collecting all while coordinating that with other linked F-35s.

Add in that there's the voice control in addition to the touchscreen and HOTAS inputs and you can see how it's way easier.
>>
>>29518038
Well, he is correct in that two heads are better than one in complex fast moving events. There's no question there. The analysis should go into whether data fusion at it's current stage has mitigated pilot workload to the point where the cost of adding the airframe space and systems complexity for a second cockpit plus full training for a dedicated backseater per airframe outweighs the tactical advantages of having him there.

F-35 isn't flying combat missions yet, but all indicators point to it having crossed the cost/benefit threshold in this regard. My opinion still isn't concrete on the matter until more information comes in, but I think we've seen the last of two-seat multiroles as far as bleeding edge tactical aircraft design.

>>29517934
Have you had any exposure to the F-35 program to flesh out the above a little?
>>
>>29518038

you do know that's a F-15 in that pic, right?

i'm not arguing against sensor fusion. i'm just saying there's still advantages to having two guys for the types of missions the F-15E does.

>>29518106

only secondhand.
>>
>>29518120
>you do know that's a F-15 in that pic, right?
What are the differences with pic related? They look very similar. What F-15 model is this in?

>only secondhand.
What's the verdict so far on the grapevine?
>>
File: 1321850772599.jpg (233KB, 1600x1236px) Image search: [Google]
1321850772599.jpg
233KB, 1600x1236px
The FBOA-10, of course!
>>
File: F-35 cockpit simulator.jpg (169KB, 800x550px) Image search: [Google]
F-35 cockpit simulator.jpg
169KB, 800x550px
>>29518145
dumped the pic on me. damn.

Also, I totally missed the center stalk stick in that pic. I'll be damned. Is this some sort of F-15SE upgrade?
>>
>>29518162
>>29518162

F-15SA front cockpit.

people seem to like the F-35, but there are things that weird people out. like looking through the floor with your HMD is cool and all, but what happens when you drop your pen?
>>
>>29518365
>but what happens when you drop your pen
From what I understand, there is a transparency setting. No one would run it at 100%, but at some fraction. Like a good video game UI or some such. Of course, this is squid scuttlebutt, so weight for source solidity.
>>
>>29518409

yeah, apparently the answer is to do what you said or lift up the visor. but the first time that happens it's apparently disconcerting.
>>
>>29518427
I mean, you still have to operate cockpit controls and the primary display, so I assume this is a relatively well understood and accounted for phenomenon. The HMD can be easily cut and turned back on depending on need from a HOTAS control if I remember an interview about it correctly.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.