[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gun safes

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 14

File: getDynamicImage.jpg (329KB, 1013x1065px) Image search: [Google]
getDynamicImage.jpg
329KB, 1013x1065px
New gun owner here. I want to protect my guns, but I figure it's really not that hard to break into a gun safe, especially one that's reasonably priced. Am I wrong, and if not, how do I protect my guns?
>>
>>29447391
Just make sure you get one with bars that extend into both sides when it's locked and you're set. Also a fire rating depending on how far your nearest firehouse is.
>>
>>29447391
>it's really not that hard to break into a gun safe

Good one. Do yourself a favor and buy a real safe instead of a sheetmetal fireproof box.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mesa-Safe-Large-15-3-interior-cubic-feet-like-new-/262361495741?hash=item3d15f6b8bd:g:6LYAAOSwu1VW6eGe
>>
>>29447391
Some countries REQUIRE you to store your guns in a certified safe at all times, and rightfully so; you don't want dindus to just waltz off with your collection while you're not watching.

The minimum requirements where I live are for storing more than 4 weapons is:
-the walls of the safe need to be 4mm thick steel, minimum.
-needs to be bolted to the ground / wall.

You want to have a safe with two locks.
>>
>>29447404
>>29447446
If my budget was a grand, and I couldn't drive to florida to buy a safe, could I find one that would actually be safe?
>>
>>29447491
considering they sell perfectly fine, certified safes where I live for <300 bucks, I'd say yes - you'd get a superb safe for a thousand.
>>
>>29447452
nobody cares about those countries though
>>
>>29447491

Sure could. Check Craigslist first and then Safe/Locksmith stores. There's really no reason to buy a new safe, and absolutely no reason to buy a new GUN safe, when you can pick up a used TL rated commercial (real) safe for pennies on the dollar. Safes don't go bad. The reason used ones sell for cheap is that they're a bitch to move and many sellers just want them gone.
>>
>>29447507
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D33T4GOtB-U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3p5KUNfDG0
Shit like this leaves me worried though.
>>
>>29447391
No matter what safe you buy, make sure you bolt it to the wall or floor.
>>
>>29447452
I think you have it wrong, anon. Dindus don't waltz, they shuck 'n jive.
>>
Any suggestions for a build-it-yourself safe, other than the SnapSafe Titan?
>>
>>29447569
I live in an apartment though, so that's not possible.
>>
File: s-l500.jpg (20KB, 375x500px) Image search: [Google]
s-l500.jpg
20KB, 375x500px
>>29447554

Case in point: Here's an ISM, TRTL15x6 rated, 5800 lb MONSTER of a safe that sold for LESS than 2 grand. That's like a $25,000 safe new. Ain't no one gonna be shuckin 'n jivin away with his guns.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ISM-Jewelers-Safe-/272144981305?hash=item3f5d1add39%3Ag%3AZAwAAOSwe7BWwhhH&nma=true&si=DxMZFiiiE3fAGH3MISF8jqhhWnI%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557
>>
File: 20160329_234607.jpg (961KB, 2048x1152px) Image search: [Google]
20160329_234607.jpg
961KB, 2048x1152px
>>29447601
Zanotti.
>>
If its not fixed on a wall its useless to begin with.
>>
File: 20160329_201646.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160329_201646.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>>29447391
After doing a fair bit of homework I found that a Liberty Colonial Series is the best bang for the buck. I got mine for way under the price shown here.

http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-colonial-safes-ps-7.html
>>
>>29448772
>http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-colonial-safes-ps-7.html
That thing is pretty classy looking.
>>
>>29447391
> I want to protect my guns

Buy a gun for your guns so they can protect themselves you fudd
>>
File: GunSafe&AmmoCloset.jpg (891KB, 1920x1564px) Image search: [Google]
GunSafe&AmmoCloset.jpg
891KB, 1920x1564px
You need to view your safe as a measure to slow thieves, not preventing them from stealing your shit. If you're serious about security you need to think of more than just a safe (think: alarms, dogs, cameras).
Also, if you have kids around the house, a safe is handy to keep their grubby hands off your stuff.

Some are fire rated, so it's also a partial safeguard against damage by small fires.

I just have a rather cheapo safe because:
1) I rent my house & the safe is not on the ground floor, so I'm not going to do the effort of moving a big safe upstairs.
2) I'm legally forced to since I own more than 10 guns.
3) There's really no reason not to have a basic safe.

If I do move to property of my own, I'm going to build in a safe room. Steel beams in the walls, reinforced door, etc. That way it meets legal standards, and the room itself is sufficient to be seen as a safe. Thus the weapons can be hung on a wall etc, not locked away.
>>
File: 20150521_120213.jpg (2MB, 3264x1836px) Image search: [Google]
20150521_120213.jpg
2MB, 3264x1836px
I am getting a new safe later this year as my old cheap ass one is no longer cutting it with the amount of guns and money inside of it. it is also too small. the only problem is finding a place to put it in my room pic related. I am probably going to get a vault pro as they are some of the only ones that I have found that are completely transparent on their materials.
>>
>>29447391

Check Craigslist first and see what's available. Seriously. I bought a 800 pound safe made of 4 gauge steel with 12 locking bars for 200 bucks. It was 1500 new back in the 90s. Its 7 feet tall, like 4 feet wide and 3 deep. Some lady wanted it gone out of her garage so I grinded the bolts off and loaded it into a uhaul trailer. Don't waste your time with shitty sheet metal boxes and residential dead bolt tier locks.

God forbid that I leave my parents house because that thing is coming with me.
>>
>>29447563

A gun safe is designed to delay a burglar and keep contents undamaged for short amounts of time in case of fire. Supplement a safe with a secure door and window locks as well as a monitored alarm system.

If someone manages to bypass all of this and still break your safe open, you should probably consider keeping a lower fucking profile because someone with a higher level of knowledge than your average idiot criminal is interested in your shit.
>>
>>29447603
then why even bother with a safe idiot
>>
>>29448772
>wasting safe space on a mosin 91/30
>>
This may be a stupid question, but does a safe have to be bolted down to be effective?
I really want a safe but I'm renting property at the moment so I can't bolt anything to the house. I figure an unbolted down case is pretty much the same as my hard cases just chilling in the back of my closet
>>
Gun safe?

>Not just moving in an elderly couple who don't work and feeding them a steady supply of dindu nuffin memes. Literally fucking free, and they bake cookies.
>>
>>29447391
>fudd shit
>money
Why fudds?
>>
Protip: If there is any chance at all of flooding in your house or area. Do NOT but your gun safe in the basement... Practically none of them are worth a shit in a flood. Master bedroom closet is probably the best place unless you get a carpenter to hide it someplace.
>>
>>29452050

Damn I hadn't even thought about that. Fortunately I live on a hill but still.
>>
>>29448865
Thank you. For the money I think its the best out there. People always say you need to buy this 3000$ 1500lb monster. For most people this is not true.

>>29451040
To keep it out of small hands.
>>
>>29449218
He speaks the truth.
>>
>>29451020
Becaues he wants to keep his guns from any random person / kid having easy access to them dummy
>>
>>29452050
About 95% of gun loss insurance claims for guns in a gun safe are due to water damage in floods. Both from natural disaster and and broken water pipes... Yes 95%!!!!

Best to put your gun safe up high with solid ground under it. They don't fly very far in a tornado and they really are pretty good against normal house fires. Criminals breaking into even cheap gun safes are extremely rare...

Best not to store money and gold in your gun safe since then word magically gets around...
>>
Say I had a petite Asian male (19 years old) who wished to be locked in a safe for short periods of time. Nothing weird, just a hypothetical situation. There has to be room in it for dog food bowls and a dog bed, but no dog.
>>
Just hide them really well, safes are stolen all the time.

I keep my guns in a box that says "Christmas decorations" underneath a layer of tree blankets and lights.

Disclaimer: this is a bad idea if there are children in the house.
>>
>>29449218
What kind of cuck government requires that? Even worse, what kind of cuck actually complies?
>>
>>29452485
Clever but not so good for protection from fire.
>>
>>29452512

Sweden, Canada, UK... The usual cucks :)
>>
>>29452485
>Disclaimer: this is a bad idea if there are children in the house.

I bet about 80% of gun safe owners have gun safes to protect them against their own children...............
>>
>>29452460
Good post
>>
>>29448865
>http://www.libertysafe.com/safe-colonial-safes-ps-7.html
Yeah, I think not. No steel plate means no-go. A composite door is smoke and mirrors.
>>
>>29447391
Safes:

http://www.deansafe.com/

Hiding in Plain Sight:

https://tacticalwalls.com/

http://topsecretfurniture.com/

Securing doors to your door from your garage bedroom or gun room. Good Idea in general:

https://doordevil.com/
------------------------

Generally a 1,000 dollar safe or gun locker will do it only spend more for fire protection.
>>
>>29451088
It doesn't really, but it depends on the safe...mine is almost 1500lbs empty. No one is carting it off whether it's bolted down or not.
>>
File: 4C 138.jpg (86KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
4C 138.jpg
86KB, 500x500px
>>29452460
>Best not to store money and gold in your gun safe since then word magically gets around...

How the fuck would anyone know if YOU don't tell them. Plus, the guns in the safe are almost always going to be worth more than the other valuables.
>>
>>29451088
Circular saw bit... save the circular chunk of wood you cut out. When you move, get some wood glue and plug the hole back up, then spill some yogurt over it so it just looks like a splotch of goop on the floor. By the time the landlord mops it off, you've already got your deposit back, and they'll just be curious about the round ring of glue that won't come off.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjHnklj6PAs
>>
>>29453598
That safe would have been more work if it had not been bolted down. He would not have been able to put that kind of force into it by himself.

That said he could have hauled it off to open later.
>>
>>29447507
That's not a safe. That's a gun locker with some fire protection. It is more than likely a RSC.

I haven't personally found anything sub $3000 that provides fire and theft protection and construction that would give me any peace of mind

>>29447671
A friend of mine bought one and likes it due to frequent moves. I don't think their protection is adequate if that is the only consideration.
>>29449218
This guy has got it. I've got money budgeted in the new house fund to build a strong room around my safe. Should make burglary more difficult and provide more fire insulation.

>>29452460
Water damage is a point some firefighter friends of my recently raised. If the safe is in the basement with a full on house fire you can get a lot of water in the basement, especially if it takes a while for a response as the fire will build and thus more water is required.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
I bought a safe primarily to keep petty thieves and kids out my guns, it gives me a bit more of peace knowing that they are in there safer than laying around my place
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>29454249
The inside has bolts on all 4 sides, my collection might not be much right nos but its still growing hopefully I'll have a problem that I need a bigger safe soon
>>
>>29449218
G class. Im working on one also in my own place, but considering the possibility of April 7th EU amendments everything is on hold.
>>
>>29452512
You know, the countries where it's illegal to use your firearm for self defense.
>>
>>29447391
Keep your guns loaded and on your person at all times

Nobody will fuck with you
>>
>>29454083
You might look at Liberty's Premium Home lineup. The positive areas include a 3/16" inner plate in the door and a 90 minute fire rating. Cost for the 12 model (the biggest) is under $1200. Biggest drawbacks are the size (35.5" makes it suitable for handguns, carbines, bullpups, and most takedowns---but not for much else) and the fact that the body is only 1/8" steel.
>>
File: image.jpg (72KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72KB, 768x1024px
>>29447603
Then chain it to pipes or something.

The point is to make it hard for a dindu to carry it away.

Smash and grab artist don't usually pack a lot of tools. And anybody with enough time on their hands can get in to anything.
>>
>>29452460
I kept mine on the 4x4s it shipped with then bolted it to the wall. The wall is poured concrete so that should keep it from getting carried off. Hopefully the basement won't get more than 3.5" of water in it.
>>
>>29447671
They are back ordered for like 8 weeks last I checked
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 560x315px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 560x315px
LIBERTY TACTICAL 24
Comes with 2 ammo cans, shelves, ports to run power or e-lert alarm, comes with molle side panel and holsters for pistol and AR strap.
Can be had on sale for less than 1000 w/ a led light package.

Buy the e-lert knock off on amazon.
Either buy a wireless baby moniter that plugs into the safes power unit and mount on top , or buy a game cam , strip the camera and motion sensor and solder in longer line leads, place the housing in the safe and run the wires through the e-lert alarms antenna passway. Now get a bottle cap and epoxy the cam and a magnet to it, mount it and the sensor on the top .
If you used the baby monitor, have it run motion capture like a game cam, and have it upload to a specific email or folder.
Now you have Pictures of potential theives or kids impressing friends.
If you need an actual audible alarm , there are products like SABRE alarms you can throw in your safe.

I had my safe delivered for a grand and some change. Came with light kit. Buy a golden rod and humity is no issue. Liberty backs a hell of a warranty as well.
>>
>>29452468
Don't forget air holes!
>>
>>29455724
Thanks. I've looked at them quite a bit. Personally I'd rather spend more and get something tl rated. After those anons posted eBay links ive been getting boner for the cheap trtl rated safes on ebay and Craigslist
>>
>>29457487
That's really interesting since my name isn't Jay Aguirre and I never heard of him lol
>>
>>29454083
Superior master 50 is what I have

10 gauge steel
1300 pounds
3/8" plate steel door with very minimal door-frame gap
18 bolts on all sides, 1.5" bolts
90 minute fire protection, not the best but hopefully adequate

Less than $3000. If I ever build a house I'd like to do a vault. Cinderblocks with poured concrete reinforced with rebar and those giant steel plates they use to cover up road construction for the ceiling and floor. My master 50 is already full and it seems very inefficient to have three+ safes lined up.
>>
what do you guys think of liberty safes overall?
>>
Just put a couple jugs of premixed tannerite in your safe right by the dial. If anyone shoots it or tries to torch or cut it open there will be nothing left of them.

>(CURRENT YEAR)
>not boobytrapping your arms

wtf are you doing /k/?
>>
>>29458334
What could possibly go wrong!
>>
>>29458334
>thinking a torch or a saw would detonate tannerite
>thinking someone would try and shoot a safe open
You're stupid
>>
File: vault.jpg (116KB, 939x593px) Image search: [Google]
vault.jpg
116KB, 939x593px
>>29457487

6000 lb. bank vault door for the price of an ammo can. Suck on that, Liberty.
>>
>>29459036
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vault-Door-with-time-lock-/281984128008?hash=item41a7905408:g:Xo0AAOSwLpdW-duf
>>
File: 20160329_201316.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
20160329_201316.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
>>29458245
I have one and like it very much. Best bang for the buck. Their higher end stuff is really good.

My Liberty Colonial. 60 minute burn time, EMP rated lock, very well made with a lift time warranty. My buddy had one go through a house fire and his guns were undamaged. Thats when I bought mine.
>>
>>29457807
Dat frame gap is important. I kinda want a 1/4 body personally.

But what i want is honestly not what i actually need. As nice as something like trtl30x6 would be fire resistance is likely the more important factor, in most cases a safe will deter most theieves. Any safe I buy is getting put on a poured slab on the basement and encased in masonry to make it that more difficult to break into and to give it more insulation. Plus I'm a coin collector so I don't want muh rare scripts going up in flames and my gold melting hehe.

>>29458245
They seem pretty good overall I'm just paranoid.

>>29459036
>>29459064
Nice. I've been all over eBay and Craigslist today. Actually gonna go look at an antique Diebold in my town that is listed cheap. Guy seems bro too.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.