[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Mak-90 restoration

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (66KB, 900x309px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66KB, 900x309px
Alright /k/.

So my buddy had a garage fire and his stupid self left a bunch of guns to be burned.

The mak90 he owned was the only " survivor. "
It's mostly coated with the shit the FD used to fight a fire, and some rust.
What is the best way to remove this gunk?

I am not currently trying to get the gun to fire as I comprehend the fact that fire + metal can be dangerous.

It will be a mantle piece, but I want it to look good.

Thanks in advance
>>
>>29445137
shoot it
>>
>>29445141
>I have nothing to contribute

If it is ever test fired, its gonna be from a bench w/ a vice and 100feet of fishing line.

I enjoy all my fingers tbhfam
>>
Flush as much of the foam residue off as you can with clean water, then paint thinner, then motor oil.

Scrape off what rust you can with steel wool. Rinse with water, dry it, and use http://www.homedepot.com/p/Loctite-16-fl-oz-Naval-Jelly-Rust-Dissolver-Bottle-553472/203009241 on what you can't get off with steel wool.

Rinse it off well and then cold blue it or paint it with something like duracoat or cerakote.
>>
>>29445137
>give us the actual picture?
>>
>>29445223
Don't have any pics on hand, but when I start this project I'll post plenty.

>>29445216
Thank you for the input m8.
I've heard of a process involving electricity and a tub of ¿water?

What's that all about?
>>
>>29445239
http://www.ktgunsmith.com/rust.htm
>>
>>29445239
>Caution: Removing rust with this method can cause a phenomenon called hydrogen embrittlement where parts over about 40RC in hardness will absorb hydrogen, and in the process become very brittle, sometimes catastrophically so.
>>
>>29445246
>>29445252
Thanks m80.

Any other input is appreciated
>>
>>29445137

>allowing your guns to burn in a house fire
>allowing the now unicorn mak 90 to burn

Jesus, buy a decent fire rated safe and place it next to a door that leads outside so shit like this doesn't happen. If there is a fire I can run to the basement and begin pitching guns into the yard while standing in the basement doorway. If shit goes bad, I take one step backwards and I am outside.
>>
>>29446518
It was tragic, I agree. He also let a 1911 (not a special one) and an M1 Garand burn too
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.