[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Babby's First Gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: Zastava PAP M90.jpg (265KB, 675x900px) Image search: [Google]
Zastava PAP M90.jpg
265KB, 675x900px
What does /k/ recommend for a first rifle purchase on a ~500 dollar budget? Local funstores mark prices up on a ridiculous level, so I've been thinking about using an FFL. I've been looking at Norinco SKS types on Gunbroker, but have also seen some AKs in the mix. I love the AK platform, but I dont want to end up sinking more money into a shitty IO ak in the long run instead of saving and buying an Arsenal. Any thoughts? Have a PAP for your trouble.
>>
Save an extra $300 and get a Garand.
>>
Save up another $100, go to atlantic firearms and get a QC'd Wasr 10.
>>
Please dont get the m90np its terrible mine was not heat treated and mushroomed badly on the rear of the bolt carrier after only 150 rnds it sucks. Ive owned a few arsenals and i lived every one i had a 106f and 107fr both superb guns a 100-200 over priced but very well built by bulgaria. Wasrs are hands down the one of the few best ak's to start out with if you check it out good enough check out armslist theres always people selling them because theyre very common ak's. I have a yugo sks and the thing is a beast i use wolf mostly and ill go periods of 6-7 months of many outdoor and indoor periods with almost 1000rnds in the period and it still works like a charm. Best part is there honest to god built guns for the purpose of defending a country back in the day and is properly built and usually you can get them brand new from classic and get layaway too
>>
How's DDI?
Their prices seem to be only $100-200 more than the WASR's.
>>
>>29433040
This fucking shitty "not heat treated" meme needs to fucking die.

>No way should parts ever be peening, that's bad heat treating.

And yet I've seen it happen to AKs of every make. Arsenals, Saigas, WASRs, Yugos, Chinese, Egyptian and Polish.

All AKs are susceptible to bolt carrier peening. On its own it's indicative of nothing regarding the heat treat of the gun and doesn't affect functionality unless the problem is extreme.

Of all the reasons to be critical of Zastava AKs this is the least valid.

If you've actually looked into the reasoning the peening happens, it seems to be a result of the G2 hammer being misshapen (ridges too high) and it being much harder than the bolt carrier.

But it sometimes happens and sometimes doesn't, which is why the "improper heat treat" meme sprung up.
People who have zero metallurgical experience grasping at straws.
>>
File: 20160313_163929.jpg (1MB, 2560x1536px) Image search: [Google]
20160313_163929.jpg
1MB, 2560x1536px
>>29433630
I have and it was not a g2 hammer doing this. And after 150rnds ? Please tell me more about this and how it can be safe.
>>
>>29434115
>Please tell me more about this and how it can be safe.
What do you mean, "How it can be safe"?

Do you know what that tail on the bolt carrier does?
It slams into the hammer to reset it onto the disconnect (if you still have the trigger depressed) or the trigger (if you've released the trigger)

That's all it does, and it does take a shit load of force in doing so.
The issue is if it deforms to the point of causing a malfunction, like catching the recoil spring.
Also note that the tail seems to be longer on sporting rifles.
>This pic is a full auto bolt carrier, note the shorter, more blunt tab

Just google bolt carrier mushrooming and try to find a post older than 3 years.
You won't and that's because a bunch of know nothings that got into AKs recently think that it's an issue.

Here's a couple of examples

>New WASR and NPAP
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=222879

>DDI
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256597

>And of course this 25 page diatribe on whether or not Yugo's are made from garbage metal
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/30-yugoslavian/177384-yugo-paps-made-garbage-metal.html
>>
>>29433526
Their 2nd gen ones are best. Look for "Fenocite coating on all parts" or something like that. They're good, I'd buy one if I could justify it.
>>
>>29434203
Kek, the newest ones are the ones people have been having problems with left and right.
The only thing DDI has going for them is their excellent customer service, and willingness to take back a rifle if it's fucking up.

>See >>29434198
>DDI
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=256597

They no longer do the fenocite coating on all parts.
In fact they only did it for like the first 100 rifles or so.
>>
>>29434245
Well then they're CS puts them leagues ahead of Century and Arsenal.
>>
>>29434248
>their
I completely agree though.
Although they're fairly new to the market and want to build a good reputation.
Because we all know a bad rep will stick with a company for years, even if they change for the better.

But David at DDI is an AK guy at heart and wants to do right by the people who buy his products.
I just hope they don't end up like every other mediocre manufacturer (It's not that difficult to build an AK straight) like Definitive Arms, Rifle Dynamics, and Krebs where they think their AK deserve a multi thousand dollar price tag.

But every time DDIs go OOS, when they come back they are priced higher so that's the way they seem to be heading.
>>
>>29431512

>garand as a first rifle
>nearly twice as expensive as OP's stated budget

You are retarded

>>29431505
Buy an SKS and use your savings to buy 500 rounds of x39.

I can't comment on the AK because I live in a cuck state and have never seen, held, or shot a x39 AK before. SKS is still a good choice though and has the benefit of being historically important milsurp.
>>
>>29435154
>Simple to use
>.30-06 doesn't recoil at all
>easy to find ammo/parts
>a classic to any collection
>in a years time can be sold for much more than purchased for to buy more guns
>its a fuckin' Garand
>>
>>29435204
>needs special ammo due to mag well size
>parts are expensive to obtain
>modern ammo bends operating rod
>>
>>29435290
Wow, 150 grain .30-06. So hard and rare to come by you might as well become a professional unicorn hunter.
>>
>>29431505
In terms of /k/
sks or mosin, absolute classics and staples of this board
>personal opinion
Polish AK74 "tantal", from what I've seen is within your budget and shoots 5.45, very little recoil and fun to plink with
>>
>>29431505
You can get Yugo m70s for around that price. There are some straight from Zastava, and some built by Century. Both are okay. If you want bayonet lug, look closely and make sure it has it, as many of the sporting models do not.
>>
>>29435290
Special ammo...? The fuck are you on?
And what is an adjustable gas plug?

>>29434115
The tapco G2 is a fucking shit trigger and I wouldn't be surprised if it contributed to problems. Personally I put a longer recoil spring in my pap and have had no peening. Swap that G2 for an original yugo FCG and you're golden. Fucked up you gotta put in the upgrades but whatever.
>>
>>29435307
If it's modern production in a genuine M1, it will jam in the mag well due to cartridge length.
>>
>>29435374
Well, guess I better go tell my Garand that it needs to stop cycling all the modern 150gr I give it and go tell all the guys on the M1 forums that too. Also surplus M2 ball is cheaper than regular ammo and easy to find. Hell, most of the time it'll even come in en bloc clips too.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.