[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are snipers useless in the modern army?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 3

File: sniper1-640x336.jpg (97KB, 640x336px) Image search: [Google]
sniper1-640x336.jpg
97KB, 640x336px
Are snipers useless in the modern army?
>>
>>29407938
No.

Next question.
>>
>>29407938
Its a good position to funnel women to, they are better snipers than men anyway and it would keep them out of combat arms
>>
>>29407990

Gr8 b8 m8
>>
>>29407938
There will always be the need for a dedicated sniper, but more and more you will see DMR level roles expand on the squad, and possibly even the team level - where one guys job is to reach out just a tad further / a bit more accurately than everyone else.

Russia has been doing it for decades with the SVD.
>>
>>29407938
see>>29407948

If combat in Syria and Afghanistan are any measure - snipers are still very relevant
>>
They miss way too much

The sniper with the longest range kill ever took 15 fucking shots to hit the guy he was aiming at

TOW is better
>>
>>29408066
Is there any kind of source for that shit?
>>
>>29408066
That's cause, If I remember, the longest recorded sniper kill was not from a rifle, but instead from a scoped mounted machine gun, by some dude in Vietnam.
>>
>>29408092
>In a BBC interview, Harrison reported it took about nine shots for him and his spotter to range the target. Then, he reported, his first shot "on target" was a killing shot followed consecutively by a kill shot on a second machine gunner.
>>
>>29408137
No, that was a long range record, but a British sniper with a accuracy international rifle in .338 beat the record during the war on terror, in the excess of 2 kilometers

Bit you're thinking of Charles hathcock, the real American sniper. That shot is what got people thinking about 50bmg as an anti material sniper round, and the reason the Barret exists today.
>>
>>29408137
Carlos Hathcock. His record has been superseded by someone else, a limey I think.
>>
>>29407938
ask cris kyle
>>
>>29407938
are you retarded?
they've been used since the fucking revolutionary war and they were indispensable in every conflict since.
>muh drones
can a drone embed itself innajungle for a week and wait for a shot.
>>29408218
was a canadian dude iirc.
used a M107 and took out a mortar team from like a mile and a few eighths.
>>
>>29408218
Paul Furlong or whatever his name was. Left the military over false acusations and become a cop.
>>
File: image.jpg (112KB, 480x390px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
112KB, 480x390px
Bolt action is becoming obsolete but not the sniper. They are just moving to semi auto as they are being made accurate enough to do the job. Snipers aren't usually shooting people at Insane distances like the media wants you to believe although there will always be rare special missions that do require those crazy long distance shots and thus the need for some "bolt action" rifles it's pretty clear most of the time the new semi autos are plenty accurate with the added ability to take more shots.
>>
>>29409875
Canadians don't use the M107, he used a McMillan Tac 50
>>
>>29409986
Plus bullets are cheaper than missles to the guy that said TOW
>>
>>29408066
>took 15 fucking shots to hit the guy he was aiming at

Start shooting beyond 300 yards before you post again and you'll stop making such a fool of yourself.
>>
>>29408066
Snipers aren't usually shooting at people from the record distance or even close to it.
>>
>>29408218
>I think

>>29408137
>If I remember

>>29409875
>iirc

You faggots are on the internet. It has this fantastic feature called google. You can use it to read about what you post before positng so you don't have to post this shit. Instead of posting "hurr i think the longest kill was with a machinegun" you can use this fantastic tool to search "What was the longest confirmed sniper kill"
>>
>>29408149
To be fair, he was really pushing what his rifle was capable of.
>>
>>29407938
Best weapon most snipers have is their com set
Sneaky fuckers embedded somewhere, watching the enemy are mostly better off just calling in the ground forces or artillery when it comes down to having much of an effect. Sure capping one guy is probably going to make life hell for the unit under fire, up until they figure out where you are and respond in kind if counter-sniping or artillery themselves.
>>
>>29410101
what really is the purpose of the modern sniper team if their greatest asset is their ability to relay intelligence and targets for artillery/airstrikes which a LRRP team could do just as well but without a 12kg sniper rifle
>>
>>29407938
yes thats why just yesterday all militaries in the world have disbanded their sniper regiments and forced them to retire because just 2 days ago everyone realized how useless they were congrats OP you are a regular general napoleon
>>
>>29407990
I agree that we should funnel all of the female soldiers in front of snipers.
>>
>>29410178
Obviously they're going to carry the weapon for self defence and targets of opportunity which they can pick off without too many consequences.
But the training they get is essentially their main ability, being able to hide, observe and remain concealed for long periods of time isn't something to be underestimated. A lot of credit is given to stuff like drones, but there's still a lot to be said for a trained team observing targets on the ground, what they do, who they talk to and recognition.
Course if the chance to get rid of a high value target is there, they'll do it. But if you're going to rile up a nest of 100 armed fighters, you're probably going to be in the shit, so its easier to call in the strike via other means.
>>
>>29407990
To be honest, im half behind this
>I want to be one of the boys, I want to be a badass
>you can be a sniper, theyre the most badass of all our oper8ers
>fuck yeah im going to be a badass
>basic marksman training
>hand woman identities of targets
>heres a 1337 sniper rifle (howa m1500 with swfa 10x and basic bipod)
>fuck yeah im a badass now
>"goodluck!" *close FOB door on the way out

Repeat x100 and weed out those that are genuinely operator's, max probably 20/100

Give genuine sniper training

Cull the rest of the heard
>>
>>29410250
So who here wants to lie in their own piss and shit for 4 days?

That generally gets rid of most people, regardless of gender
>>
>>29410250
and then standards are lowered because so many womyn are rejected and they cry discrimination
>>
>>29410245
This guy knows what he's talking about. Sniper teams are made up of guys from the Maneuver Warfighting Function, but when you're talking about taskable assets they fall under the Intelligence WFF (specifically, collecting intelligence). Their ability to infiltrate, look, report, and exfiltrate is the greatest benefit they provide to the commander.

And let's be honest about drones: most of them make a lot of noise. Shadows are loud as fuck, and everyone can hear them. Ravens are small and still kind of loud. Predators and their ilk are tasked so far up the food chain that most bad guys won't ever hear them. But a dude crawling in the bushes doesn't make much noise at all.
>>
>>29409986
Why not have a sniper in a light weasel that has been modified to be smaller with a bench rifle on it?

[spoiler]the miniweasel is camoflaged to look like a tree[/spoiler]
>>
>>29410051
Tireur d'élite australien non identifié 2012 2 815 m Barrett M82A1 .50 BMG Delta Company du 2nd Commando Regiment Guerre d'Afghanistan 7

english version of wikipedia is not up to date....

and the longest shot evr made by a simply guy with a gun is :

Adjudant Benjamin X. 22 août 2015 3 695 m Fabrication artisanale .408 Chey Tac France 1er régiment de chasseurs d'Afrique Cible d'entrainement C300 (130x120cm) 1

so the "reccord" is about 2800meters

because he take a large part in guerilla warfare and assimetrical combat
todays sniper are very important
>>
>>29410269
don't forget the bugs and the ants.
>>
>>29407938
Are you literally useless in modern society or does the tard wrangler let you bag groceries at Albertson's?
>>
>>29410178
A bullet is cheaper than a rocket
>>
>>29410507
I think you mean that's the outdated version that's been cleared off for being unverified
>>
>>29410507
It's disputed. Outside of the news article no one in defence has really said anything about it.
>>
>>29410511
Ah, they don't eat much. Most would more worried about the enemy turning them in a skinned sausage if they catch em!
>>
>>29409846
Well, he did let the enemy sneak up on him.
>>
>>29408066
This guy has the longest kill ever. Took 9 shots to range the target and then two killing shots consecutively

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_Harrison_(sniper)
>>
>>29411130
>nine impacts around your position
>stay frosty
>your friend gets popped
>stay frosty
>get popped
silly taliban
>>
Are you serious? I saw this exact thread posted maybe a month ago.

Fuck off.
>>
Snipers help improve k/d ratio so yes they are still useful
>>
>>29407938
>Gets all this info from playing COD.
They are more important then ever.
>>
Not in the grand scheme of things.

Probably more cost effective just to have a guy call an artillery strike.
>>
>>29407938
No, they cover a niche which nothing else really covers.
>>
>>29411799
Main job of snipers is recce. Often they can call in airstrikes/artillary.
>>
>>29411799
It's something else entirely. A sniper offers precision direct fires and reconnaissance. Artillery doesn't offer that.
>>
>>29409945
>Paul Furlong
No.
>>
>>29410504
I support this.
Larger rifle, onboard computer to better range shots before shooting, gtfo-now mobility.

And way too small to hit with most anti-vehicle things, virtually impossible at the distances it will engage.

I'd fund it.
>>
>>29410051
Because if OP had used google and done his research beforehand, he wouldn't have made this gayass fucking thread. If hes not willing to make an effort, why should we?
>>
>>29407990
haha no
>>
>>29410017
Lol America is rich enough that it doesn't matter if you use bullets or missiles.
>>
>>29410101
This.
>>
>>29409986
>Bolt action is becoming obsolete
Explain
>>
>>29413127
They're fucking slow.
>>
>>29408066
why don't you try hitting a man-sized object at 2500m and then tell us how it went
>>
>>29413283
agree its hard to quickscope with them

especially when treyarch makes small maps like nuketown in battlequarters 4 modern duty
>>
A Snipers task is also to eliminate multiple targets simultaniously.
>>
>>29413283
Ignoring the memes, don't the advantages make up for it? Less follow through, less moving parts etc.
>>
>>29408066
>The sniper with the longest range kill ever took 15 fucking shots to hit the guy he was aiming at

If it took less tries it probably wouldn't be the longest range kill ever
>>
>>29411145
they probably been through that shit lots of times before, and never been hit, since the range was so extreme. After the first hit, the other guy probably thought it was a one in a million shot.
>>
>>29410507
>>29412232
Faggots defending ignorance
>>
>>29411168
its literally every week , i dont fucking get it , is it bots ? but why??
>>
File: image.jpg (82KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
82KB, 480x270px
The enemy can not take your life if he's dead!

The enemy can't return fire if he never sees who kills him.
>>
>>29414758
Its an anime imageboard, not a wikipedia article. Citations aren't necessary for the level of discussion here.
Thread posts: 67
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.