[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What's your opinion on the M1917 /k/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: image.jpg (298KB, 2159x1100px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
298KB, 2159x1100px
What's your opinion on the M1917 /k/?
>>
>>29395198

Buy it, keep it, love it.
>>
>>29395198

Thinks it is a Mauser.
Wishes it was an SMLE.
>>
>>29395198
I know that most of /k/ really likes them, but I hate them. Not even as an edgelord or to be a contrarian, but because I flat out don't like it.

It feels overly fat and heavy, not a fan of cock on close, the cock on close is too fucking stiff and heavy, the bolt angle feels unnatural to me, I don't like the sights.

It feels like driving an F-350 that has an old 302 engine under the hood, for all my daily activities where a Ford Taurus would be better in literally every way.
>>
>>29395198
I like them alot, just with the US made it cock on open. I also dont like the pistol grip angle
>>
>>29395912
>pistol grip angle
Kek, that's the ONE thing I like about them. I love the Enfield stock wrists.
>>
>>29395938
I dont know why I cant stand them, Its the same for my SMLE and I fucking love that gun. Would be cool if there was a C-Stock style stock for the 1917
>>
>>29395974
That'd probably look pretty cool actually
>>
Not to sound like a dumbass but what do you guys mean by cock on open?
>>
>>29396031
Most bolt guns re cock as you lift the bolt handle upon firing. The Mauser 98 is a classic example of this (in spite of doing roughly a quarter of its cocking as the handle is turned down upon closing), and you don't see many cock on close guns outside of Enfields, Arisakas, pre-98 Mausers, and the Ross. Those bolts cock as you push the bolt back into the receiver.

Some claim advantages to either system, but they both end up doing the same thing in the end.
>>
File: CGR6-G-F2-L.jpg (114KB, 1500x346px) Image search: [Google]
CGR6-G-F2-L.jpg
114KB, 1500x346px
>>29395994
>>
>>29395198
I think it's a better gun than the M1903.
>>
>>29396105
Yeah, I know about those, he and I meant in a 1917.
>>
>>29396111
I know, I was just giving a pic because C-Stocks are sexy as fuck desu
>>
>>29396108
If we are talking about the sights then yes. But its not a better gun. If anything they are exaclty the same
>>
>>29395198

Yes please, I'll take three.
>>
>>29396134
I just wish Springfield didn't do that swept back bolt thing that they did after 1918 or so.
>>
>>29396180
Same, the straight bolts look better
>>
>>29396197
If I ever get a 1903, I want it to be as OG as possible, like circa 1918 style everything...no swept back bolt or stamped parts.

I'd only give an exception for a C stock because I agree that those are sexy as well.
>>
>>29396214
I have a RIA Low Number and It was my first rifle. I want to get a C-Stock so I can shoot it more often
>>
>>29396225
Does the straight grip just not feel good for you?

I'm a big fan, personally.
>>
File: 726th_Springfield1903.jpg (376KB, 1549x901px) Image search: [Google]
726th_Springfield1903.jpg
376KB, 1549x901px
>>29396243
It feels as if it was made for shorter people. I mean in 6'0" but it still feels like its really short so my hand doesnt feel to great after shooting a few rounds
>>
>>29396269
Ah. I don't have that problem: I'm 5'10, but I have short ass arms to where even Arisakas feel really good when shouldered.
>>
>>29396088
So basically when you turn the bolt handle it cocks it?

Well thanks for explaining it to me
>>
>>29396503
For cock on opening, yes, they cock as you turn the bolt open after firing.
>>
>>29396563
So would that be beneficial or would it be a potential problem for the shooter?

Does the mosin nagant act the same way as well?
>>
>>29396605
The Mosin cocks on opening as well.

There's no actual issues with either system though. They both get the job done just fine, and it comes down to preference.
>>
>>29396287
I'm 5'4" and Mosins and AKs fit me very well.
>>
>>29395894
It's solid and heavy enough to bash a fucking skull in, a Springfield feels like a fragile feather in comparison
>>
>>29395198
They are excellent rifles.
Easily the best bolt action rifle in WW1.
>Overbuilt, designed to be used to beat people to death
>First practical aperture sights extremely effective, hooded front very robust
>Never any reliability issues
>Designed for combat, not the target range
>Easier and cheaper to produce than the springfield
>Very strong overbuilt action
>SMLE was better for suppression and the close in fight, but this was mitigated by the inferior performance at range of the .303 - the 30.06 had the edge.
>Superior platform for snipers
>wasn't matched until much later by WW2 era bolt guns

>>29395894
You can switch them to cock on open by swapping a few parts
>>
>>29396605
Cock on open allows for a slower operation of the bolt, like for hunting so you can do it relatively quietly. Cock on close requires either momentum or more force in general to close it, thus potentially being louder when hunting and scaring game. I prefer my mauser to the Enfield I had. Enfield could shoot faster, but I feel I have more control with the Mauser
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.