[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ceramic Body Armor

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 4

File: ceramic plates.jpg (41KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
ceramic plates.jpg
41KB, 700x700px
I was thinking of getting some body armor but I've heard that ceramic plates are extremely fragile if bumped or dropped and break apart after a shot or two.

Is this true? Does anyone have any experiences with them?

If they are that fragile then how do soldiers manage to go prone or do anything without breaking their plates?
>>
If you buy shitty proprietary Level IIIs probably. I've had my IVs, for 2 years of army field life and stuff. They are fine, no broken pieces etc

>ceramic only takes a couple hits
Maybe in the same spot. No one is that accurate anyway for the argument to be relevant. If you are taking multiple rounds you will catch one somewhere else anyway. The idea is to protect vitals like lungs and heart, which are more vulnerable then the other parts of the torso.
>>
>>29321509
In addition they aren't your mom's dinner plates they aren't that fragile. I've smacked mine around a lot.
>>
>>29321509

Oh that's good then.

I didn't really want to spend a small fortune on level IVs to just have them break apart because they got bumped
>>
>>29321577
Mine are military issue, some of if not top of the line. You'd have to wait for another anon to get an answer what's available on the civilian market. I know in the last 5 years I've only ever saw military hard armor for sale like twice. And it was probably CID doing a sting, as selling armor is supposed to be illegal. Yet I've seen Helmets and soft amror for sale literally everywhere.
>>
>>29321638

I live in europe where we can buy whatever armor we want. The supplier I'm looking at supplies the UK government apparently so they definitely will work.
>>
>>29321577
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSK4U2Poo0k
dont be playing frisbee with them and you'll be fine.
>>
>>29321577
nah their pretty rugged, there is a reason they trust enlistedfags with them, i've only seen a couple of actually broken ceramic plates and they were for training purposes and got tossed around for years
>>
File: 1455028037762.jpg (72KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1455028037762.jpg
72KB, 720x720px
Christ I thought you guys would be on top of that shit. Ar500 sells level 2 through 4 plates online. Ceramics are usually one and done, meaning if you take a round, replace it. Not that it couldn't absorb another, but the structural integrity is compromised. I just bought a set of level III+ for my carrier. Those are steel core, multi hit standalone. That means they can take more than one round (up to 7.62x39) and not be compromised, and no soft armor is needed to supplement the plates protective ability. Fucking plebs.
>>
>>29323475
Have fun weighing an extra fifty pounds, then.
>>
>>29323475

I was thinking of steel and then I realised it's not worth it.

Twice the weight, can't stop AP rounds, any bullet that hits it breaks into fragments that fly into your arms and neck causing serious injuries.

There isn't really any situation where you need to take more than 6 rounds to the chest.
>>
>>29323475
>he doesnt understand that most ceramics are multi-hit
>he wants to strap heavy stupid as fuck metal to himself
>he bought III+ (Industry term, III+ isnt a NIJ standard)
You get the dumbest nigger of the thread award
>>
>>29321720
Do they sell Osprey plates? They're almost impossible to find in the states.
>>
>>29324603

No they don't make those but there's bound to be someone who does sell them
>>
>>29321638
Is that right?
>>
>>29324783

By the looks of it some states have made it illegal and some suppliers just don't sell to civilians at all but you definitely can get good plates as a civilian
>>
>>29324538
who is shooting at you with AP ammo?
>>
Metal plates just ricochet shots to nearby people.

No one should use them.
>>
>>29324868
And not counting your arms, neck and maybe even legs.
>>
>>29324846

Members of organised crime
>>
File: nij threat chart.jpg (259KB, 1160x1160px) Image search: [Google]
nij threat chart.jpg
259KB, 1160x1160px
>>29321449
>break apart after a shot or two.
Wrong. Most ceramic plates nowadays are multi-hit, usually rated to stop at least 5 shots of their intended calibers.

Like mentioned, they aren't the same sort of ceramic material as in your tableware. This shit's tougher than metal. They are however less resistant to strong hits, and can get some super small-scale micro damage to the material if dropped, thus potentially jeopardizing their performance.
>>
>>29324915
>they aren't the same sort of ceramic material as in your tableware. This shit's tougher than meta

Not really. Ceramics and metals behave differently, one isn't flat-out "tougher".

It's like saying water is tougher than linoleum. It's a pointless comparison.
>>
>>29324868
>Metal plates just ricochet shots to nearby people.
yeah, because people totally do not fire at steel targets all the time nowadays.

yes, the spalling is an issue. BUT not as big as you think. For starters, the plate's sitting inside a strong nylon vest, which already catches a good amount of the fragmentations. Second, almost every AR500 plate's nowadays coated with anti-spalling layer.
>>
>>29324939

People don't fire at the target while it's strapped to their chest though do they?
>>
>>29324846

When Russian ISIS invades youll wish you had them for the constant 96 hour running gun battles that will happen all the time.

That's why Im ignoring my mundane "nonoperator duties" to focus exclusively on that future event and NOT because Im a sperg who is cripplingly unable to function with people on normal society.

I may not be able to balance a checkbook, hold down a job, or interact with people without giving them the creeps, but that wont matter when I save their lives and get all that commendation and validation that I oh so dearly want but cant do anything useful to get.
>>
>>29324955
Like, this?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnnLgmNVQ5I
>>
>>29324966
wat
>>
>>29321449
do some research and make your own armor. it's possible to make ballistic-resistant material at home with basic materials.
>>
>>29321577
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt2Y1I4ZQ_A
>multiple hits
>cracked to shit
>still stopping rounds even though it's not sealed in a carrier that prevents the ceramic from spilling everywhere

http://www.lightfighter.net/printer-friendly-topic/ceramic-armor-plate-xray
>dropping plate multiple times
>barely any detectable cracks

>throwing a ceramic plate off a 30 foot rappel tower
>lots of fucked up cracks
>still stopped a test bullet fired at it
>>
>>29325430
Forgot second link for the drop test.
http://www.lightfighter.net/printer-friendly-topic/ceramic-armor-plate-xray?forReply=2843236908835940
>>
File: 9084580[1].jpg (16KB, 432x315px) Image search: [Google]
9084580[1].jpg
16KB, 432x315px
>>29325242
>do some research and make your own armor

Marauder detected.
>>
>>29325430
>>29325455
Really interesting, thanks for the links
>>
>>29321638
>t. I know in the last 5 years I've only ever saw military hard armor for sale like twice. And it was probably CID doing a sting, as selling armor is supposed to be illegal. Yet I've seen Helmets and soft amror for sale literally everywhere.
You must suck at shopping
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.