[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why doesn't the US military sell old jet planes to civilians?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: p026wxhj.jpg (24KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
p026wxhj.jpg
24KB, 624x351px
Why doesn't the US military sell old jet planes to civilians? I'd love to have one even if it doesn't fly, just to put in my backyard
>>
Its more efficient to use them as part bins and disposable targets than to go thru the process of demilitarizing it for civilian sale. Unless your some airport/museum needing a gate guard type display they probably wont/cant sell them.
>>
>>29307565
Because individual straw buyers could buy them up, transfer them to an overseas shell corporation which could collect them great number, refurbish them and sell them to murrikkkas enemies.

Same with a lot of other equipment. It'd be kinda dumb if ISIS could simply buy tanks and fighter planes on auction with all the gold fillings and jizyya monies and use them to kill people aligned with US interests.
>>
File: bob_lutz_ride_l39[1].jpg (89KB, 450x280px) Image search: [Google]
bob_lutz_ride_l39[1].jpg
89KB, 450x280px
Because military jets are fucking expensive as hell to own and operate.

F-15s cost $40,000 per flight hour.

Bob Lutz, former GM, Ford, and Chrysler Executive, has a former warsaw pact trainer fighter. He is also a billionaire.
>>
>>29307668
Thats a fucking Alpha Jet. Whoever made that pic is a fucking retard.
>>
>>29307623

Much easier when they can just 'steal' them from cowardly, or even sympathetic Iraqi soldiers.
>>
As a Syrian refuge living in America it is my dream to fly fighter planes over American malls while taking picture with my unhackable iphone.
>>
>>29307792
proof ur a 'fugee
>>
>>29307623
>but... the enemies could buy them!

I never really bought that line. Who gives a fuck if some shithead not only pays for a functioning jet (they have a pricetag of millions by the way, not including parts, weapons, and equipment) but manages to get it overseas to the Middle East or Africa or something? They'll need to furnish the radar, the fire control, some of the avionics systems, the weapons, ammunition, and some other mission equipment AND all of it will be outdated anyway. This goes for tanks and everything else too, each having a massive price tag.

What changed was the government suddenly became aware that armed revolution has been on the national conscience more and more, do remember that most of the Patton series were sold at auction not only to foreign countries but also to civilian buyers. Before 1968 there were so fucking many people buying up anti-tank rifles and other military hardware, hell, you could go down to the hardware store and buy dynamite and detonators and nobody batted an eye. Why? Those days nobody gave much of a fuck about what you were doing, and the government didn't feel fear of it's people like it does now. Now we have laws "for your protection" so some "crazy person" can't commit some hypothetical "terrorism" with all these oh so dangerous things!
>>
>>29307565
You can buy de-weaponized f-18's op
>>
>>29307824
That is racist.
>>
>>29307738
What's written under "Bob Lutz"?

That's right. He flies both an Alpha Jet and an L-39. Now shut the fuck up, faggot.
>>
>>29307865
Or...maybe it's because the government got royally embarrassed when nobody in charge made the connection that with the withdrawal of the F-14 from active service, the only people who could possibly need Tomcat parts would be the Iranian Air Force.

Or it's an Illuminati conspiracy. Either one is equally plausible.
>>
>>29308245
>some shit about F-14s
>being this young

This shit has been going on before the F-14 was retired, but nice job on dismissing my entire post as "an illuminati conspiracy." Even so, that's just the F-14 and not addressing the hundred or so aircraft variants that have been retired since the 1970's, of which there's plenty of civilians who would gladly pay just to have some expensive toy. Even if F-14s were sold to the public it wouldn't matter because Iran's been producing their own parts since the late 90's and so you have no fucking point at all. This is also completely aside the fact that Iran would somehow have to pony up to buy the F-14s, get them stripped down in the US, and then somehow get the parts out of the USA which is a violation of ITAR in the first place. You do know about ITAR, don't you? Shipping military hardware overseas is already illegal.
>>
>>29308201
>SJW detected
>>
>>29308245
>need
what if i just want some tomcat parts to put on my wall?
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.