[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gunsmithing schools and scholarships advice.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 4

File: double the price.png (2KB, 391x51px) Image search: [Google]
double the price.png
2KB, 391x51px
Hey /k/

After a decade of being a gun nut and not knowing what I wanted to do in life I have recently been looking into becoming a gunsmith.

I am a mechanically minded person, and have never had trouble taking guns apart and putting them back together. I also have done some noob tier gunsmithing on a couple of guns (I smoothed out the trigger pull on a reproduction Remington 1858 and a tokarev pistol) and have replaced many pairs of springs in multiple guns.

To make it short, I love working with guns, and I think I would love being a gunsmith.

My problem is, Real gunsmithing schools are few and far between with the nearest ones I know of being in North Carolina with Montgomery Community college, and Trinidad state in Colorado.

On top of that, I am Broke, and unemployed.

I saw that the Sonoran Desert Institute is now accepting FASFA, but I read that their degrees were basically a joke and didnt teach you a lot of stuff you needed to know.

Being poor and In Indiana, SDI seemed like a good idea, but im not sure after reading what people were saying about the degree.

>Is SDI any good? even if just as a starting point? my FASFA should cover all of it and I can do it from home.
>Would I be much better off going to Montgomery or Trinidad and taking god only knows how much in student loans to pay off whatever FASFA didn't?
>how Do I apply for Scholarships from the NRA and Brownells (being the two big names I saw offering scholarships)
>how long do you have to live in a state, or what do you have to do to be considered "in state" for tuition? Just looking at Montgomery the price is more than doubled for out of state students.

and lastly, are there any other Gunsmiths by trade on here? how do you like it? do you regret the decision? How is the pay, and how hard is it to find a place to work?

any advice and info would be much appreciated!
>>
self bump.

>Sig P210
>>
>>
>>
I don't think you'd need an actual degree to be a gunsmith. I always assumed it was a trade you learn through apprenticeship.

I remember in college our gun store used to offer gunsmith services but they stopped because the owner said he kept training up people and they'd get poached at double salary after about year, so he just gave up.

Getting your foot in the door will probably be the hardest part. If you're not a "good 'ol boy" type, you could probably start off as hobbyist doing more complex things like 80% builds or odd jobs and build up a portfolio.
>>
>>29295190

>That tiny fucking mag

Why the fuck would anyone make a wallpaper of a fucking RPK with a goddamn 10-round mag? Talk about fucking stupid.
>>
>>29295490
I would want it to get my foot in the door for places, and just for experience, Like I have no idea how to blue, or weld, or checker, or anything like that. would certainly want to expand my knowledge before I went all in. I cant even find a gunsmith locally, let alone a place to apprentice at.

>>29295533
it hurt me too, would look so much better with a 40 or 75 rounder.
>>
>>29295553
If you can't find a place that'll take you in, you might need to move to a big, gun friendly city then famiglia.

And to answer your OP question state residency usually takes several years to acquire. You don't want to accumulate too much in student loans, because gun smithing is a very particular skill and if we get some commienazi president it'll be worthless.
>>
>>29295740
Nearly 100k people in my city now.

thats what scared me about the loans. I can get SDI for "free" with my Fasfa, and even if I dont get a job with it I could go somewhere else with the last couple of semesters of FASFA (they will pay for 12 semesters, I have wasted 3 on general education bullshit and a couple of medical related classes)
>>
Study mechanical engineering, and put in extra time on the side to learn craftsmanship skills like welding and woodworking. Paid Internships and being able to make a decent living will give you the time and money you need to pursue your dream. This also gives you a not-impossible shot at getting hired by a manufacturer. HR workers don't give a fuck about hobbies or passion, they want skills, work history, and a pleasant attitude. That's how you get a job.
>>
>>29296009
I was thinking of going to ball state or a Purdue polytechnic for mechanical engineering. But I don't even want to know what a degree like that would cost.

I really need to get serious about this. I should be graduating by now, not starting. I just don't know where to start.
>>
>>29295795
> 100k
> big
Daww that's cute.

Anyways, take up a real trade like welding or some type of metal working or like mechanical engineering/design like >>29296009 said.

There is overlap in the tools you use in those trades and gunsmithing, but mostly you're going to need money so you can do projects on the side or go to a better school without loans. Although a degree of some sort would probably be the most direct path, it'll also be costly. FAFSA isn't really free. It's usually just subsidized federal loans which you still need to pay back, albeit with admittedly very low interest.
>>
>>29296190
Fasfa is free if you are dirt poor like me. You are probably thinking of Stafford loans which are like 2% interest. Which admittedly is pretty fantastic on a unsecured loan. I'm not sure you even pay interest on stafford loans until 6 months after you graduate.
>>
>>29296190
I also grew up in a "town" of less than 1000 lol. So 100k is a lot for me.

I am looking into ball state since I'm pretty sure I will get free tuition since my dad died while being an employee there. Currently trying to figure out what is going on with that.

If I could go there for free and get a mechanical engineering degree I'd be incredibly happy. Just hope they don't try to pull any fast ones.
>>
>>29296391
I'm a poorfag too and when I applied through FAFSA they covered my tuition with free grants and scholarships, BUT I still needed to take close to $5k in loans each year to pay for housing and books and shit. So it's only partly free.

Plus I'm guessing the gunsmithing school will also have you buy your own kits or something. Schools are the ultimate jews.
>>
>>29296520
OH. Ya, it only pays like 12k a year. Which made ivy tech free. A more expensive school and it will require money on my end, that's why I'm crossing my fingers for BSU being covered.

I don't have housing, I could drive to ball state or Purdue poly in 15 minutes. So that saves me a shitload.

SDI provides all the tools allegedly, but I don't think it is the best materials.
>>
To get started making my own guns all I really need is a six axis mill and a lathe right? As far as machinery goes, hand tools are a different story.
>>
>>29298666
Probably the two biggest pieces needed. Not even sure where you can get a metal lathe let alone a six axis milling machine.
>>
>>29293607
ArcticFox went to Pine Tech, but he's in jail now
>>
>>29298666
1) you actually have to know how to use those things
2) you won't make them in any quantities with only one of each
3) lathes can't make barrels
4) fixtures
>>
What tools are needed in general, and how much would they cost?
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.