[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

is a car good cover from gunfire?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

File: image.jpg (74KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
74KB, 640x480px
is a car good cover from gunfire?
>>
Concealment, not cover
>>
>>29291545
No, the body panels offer little to no protection from anything bigger than a .22. Rounds will ricochet under the car and strike you. It is better to flee, do not try to flee in the vehicle, use the vehicles to conceal your movements and fight/flee.
Watch this video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ri4e_wpDc54
>>
Pistols, yes. Rifles, no.
>>
the engine block and wheel hubs maybe.
overall though no
>>
>>29291545
Cop cars such as the P71 crown vic can be due to armored inserts in the doors
>>
>>29291545

Car, no, its concealment. Engine block? YES. cover.
>>
>>29291583
>Pistols, yes
9mm will go right through a non-armored vehicle m8
>>
>>29291681
9mm cant even go through paper targets without tungsten sabots
>>
>>29291545
Yeager experimented with this a bit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEK5cYAcbOo
>>
>>29291681
Hide behind the engine then. It'll protect you from anything shy of an anti-tank rifle.
>>
>>29291580
I very recently heard about ricochet fire and it was implied that shotguns were better at it. Is that a fact?
>>
>>29291545
Here you go anon.
http://www.theboxotruth.com/tag/buick-of-truth/
>>
>>29291818
Any ricochet round is subject to loss in velocity and fragmentation. The Larger and Heavier a round the more energy it retains, shot being numerous greatly increases the likelihood of being struck. So yes, Shotguns firing buckshot, or slugs will be more devastating as ricochet.
>>
>>29291892
So with example in the video, firing buckshot at the concrete wall you could pretty much shear off anything that projected from the corner. That's very interesting!

I still can't shake the feeling that low velocity projectiles from handguns and shotguns might act different from rifle bullets. Like with cannonballs you'd try to skip the ball right over the wall to bounce around inside the fortification. Ok, probably not related. Rifle bullets might tend to embed in the surface or disintegrate on impact. While that's still dangerous, it's... Different, I guess?
>>
>>29291681
9mm can't even break human skin.
>>
https://youtu.be/YUwb3i0gQCQ

Goes right through doors, the engine compartment might be harder to however
>>
>>29291802
I guess if anyone would know about abandoning a car as cover to go hide in a ditch, it would be Buck Angel.
>>
>>29292897
hehe
>>
If you're crouched behind the wheel hubs, or ever better the wheel hubs next to the engine block, yes.

If your inside the car, you're fucked. Most rounds will punch a hole right through car doors and body panels.
>>
>Engine block
Yes
>Car doors
Concealment but not cover
>Car windows
Kinda sorta, they deflect rounds as they pass through.

Better than nothing, I guess.
>>
>>29291545
Interestingly bmw offered 3, 5, and 7 series in south africa armored and equipped with flame throwers in the rocker panels
>>
>>29291545
depends on the car
depends on the gun

if at all possible get the engine between you and the shooter
a bullet will have trouble getting through a few layers of sheet metal then an engine block/heads and then more sheet metal
not to mention the suspension and the points where it attaches to the car are thicker than plain old fender/door skin sheet metal
>>
File: flame.jpg (22KB, 450x309px) Image search: [Google]
flame.jpg
22KB, 450x309px
>>29293783
>>
Please just get shot and don't hide behind a car as nice as that. Jump behind a clapped out camery or accord but not that.
>>
File: 3.jpg (181KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
181KB, 640x427px
>>29291545
depends on the car
>>
File: 4.jpg (194KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
194KB, 640x427px
>>29293866
>>
File: 2.jpg (195KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
195KB, 640x427px
>>29293874
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.